PDA

View Full Version : Poolee IST/PFT Stats

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rough Hands
10-05-10, 04:31 AM
I noticed a new poolee revived an old thread about IST scores, and I just thought it would be a neat idea to get a thread going on what current poolees' first IST stats were like compared to their most recent IST (or PFT) scores. That way everybody has a place to keep track, gauge progress, or just to attain bragging rights. I think it will encourage some of our fellow poolees who are afraid of not seeing improvement before they ship - I know I was one of them, but as the days pass by I feel myself becoming much more confident in my physical ability. Anyway...

I'll go first.

First IST (20100708)
1.5 Mile Run: 13:35
Crunches: 22
Flexed-Arm Hang: 00:24

Last IST (20100930)
1.5 Mile Run: 12:24
Crunches: 54
Flexed-Arm Hang: 00:45
(+1 pull-up!)

I'll be helping a wannabe out tomorrow by running an IST with them, so I'll let you know if how my stats come out. It's only been about 4 days, but maybe there'll be a nice jump in numbers. And now that I've got 20 more days until I ship, I intend on attempting to max my crunches, add about 10 seconds to my hang, and hopefully scrape another 30 or so seconds off of my mile and half.

ScarSniper
10-05-10, 06:11 AM
Guess I'm up next!

First IST (A While Ago)
Pull-ups: 2
Crunches: 35
1.5 Run: 11:14

Latest IST (20100910)
Pull-ups: 6 (They made us all stop at 6, I can do about 18)
Crunches:153 (The dude who was holding my legs was full of crap too, took away like 30 of mine, saying I did them wrong. My Ssgt later said my form was perfect. Smh. Haters.)
1.5 Run: 9:01

emayer
10-05-10, 06:31 AM
First entering the DEP:
Pullups: 6
Crunches: 74
3 mile: 24:36

Current:
Pullups: 17
Crunches: 125
3 mile: 21:36 (last time I timed myself which was 2 months ago)

wilsontc11
10-05-10, 06:59 AM
First IST:

Pull ups: 0
run: 18+ minutes (mile and a half)
crunches: 60

Last IST:

pull ups: 11
run: 12:47 (sucks I know, didn't drink enough water that day)
crunches: 93

i'm lucky they let me enlist with that first IST lol.

the802
10-05-10, 07:31 AM
First IST:

Pull-ups:less than zero
Run:14+ (1.5 miles)
Crunches:57
Weight:240lbs

Last IST:

Pull-ups:7
Run: 10:42
Crunches: 132
Weight:200lbs(was 190 but slacked for a while)

pattchan
10-05-10, 09:02 AM
20100701:

Pullups: 14
Crunches: 112
1.5mi run:18+ mins(walked the last 2 laps. first time i realized smoking was bad for you.)
Weight:122

20101029:

Pullups: 23
Crunches: 155
1.5mi run: 11:40
Weight:134

BassPro0007
10-05-10, 09:20 AM
First:

Run: 12:37

Sit ups: 50

Pull ups: 5

Current:

Run: 10:02

Sit ups: 100

Pull ups: 14

O, and why does everybody try to do more then 100 sit ups? They dont count over 100 so why didn't you just stop?

pattchan
10-05-10, 11:39 AM
First:

Current:

O, and why does everybody try to do more then 100 sit ups? They dont count over 100 so why didn't you just stop?
Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine?
No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste.

Zumbii
10-05-10, 11:57 AM
First IST in June
Pullup- 18
Crunch- 80
1.5 run- 8:57

Pre-ship IST for command
Pullup-20
Crunch-100
1.5- 9:03

It's weird to see my run times fluctuate so much. I guess it really depends on how your feeling that day, what you ate, hydrated, etc.

Zumbii
10-05-10, 12:00 PM
First:

Current:

Are you satisfied with just the bare minimum?
100 crunches is the easiest thing ever. In this poolees opinion they should change it to 150 for first class score.

ScarSniper
10-05-10, 12:10 PM
First IST:

Pull-ups:less than zero
Run:14+ (1.5 miles)
Crunches:57
Weight:240lbs

Last IST:

Pull-ups:7
Run: 10:42
Crunches: 132
Weight:200lbs(was 190 but slacked for a while)

lol. Less then Zero.

And Zumbii, you're right, man, it's all about how you feel and your level of determination on the given day of your run. Of course, doing 8 miles every other night does tend to help you increase speed exponentially. lol. I'm going to keep bring up the fact that I run 8 miles every other night until you poolees catch on and do the same thing. It helps.

Zumbii
10-05-10, 12:25 PM
lol. Less then Zero.

And Zumbii, you're right, man, it's all about how you feel and your level of determination on the given day of your run. Of course, doing 8 miles every other night does tend to help you increase speed exponentially. lol. I'm going to keep bring up the fact that I run 8 miles every other night until you poolees catch on and do the same thing. It helps.

I ran 10 miles from my house to my recruiting office, in combat boots and a 40lb pack.
It is the farthest I've ran in my life, and the blisters were something horrible.
But that is what I was referring to, for those who do run and run often, you would think your times would go down significantly, but there are too many other factors that weigh in on a good run time.

Edit* also the best way to "drop" your time, is to do a long distance run at just above a comfortable pace (push yourself). Then the next day to sprints, and sprint damn hard. Variety is key.

the802
10-05-10, 12:30 PM
You do more than 100 crunches because you will get thrashed at boot camp if you stop.

ScarSniper
10-05-10, 12:35 PM
I ran 10 miles from my house to my recruiting office, in combat boots and a 40lb pack.
It is the farthest I've ran in my life, and the blisters were something horrible.
But that is what I was referring to, for those who do run and run often, you would think your times would go down significantly, but there are too many other factors that weigh in on a good run time.

Edit* also the best way to "drop" your time, is to do a long distance run at just above a comfortable pace (push yourself). Then the next day to sprints, and sprint damn hard. Variety is key.

Yeah man, that's intense. But still, you've got to run where I run, and you'll see that even without a shirt, in fair weather, that 8 miles I run is a rough one. That's moto though, 40lb pack. Nice. I get what you're saying though, I feel demotivated everytime my run randomly drops, but all it does is enrage me and push me to run harder. And I agree with your Edit* comfortable paces will get you nowhere slowly. I encourage employing the Indian Run for those trying to increase speed and maintain a steady pace. It's fun, moto, and you see improvements, given you do it with 5 people or more.

Zumbii
10-05-10, 12:36 PM
Care to elaborate on the indian run?

ScarSniper
10-05-10, 12:43 PM
Care to elaborate on the indian run?

Wow. That's incredible. Haze your recruiter for not teaching you. (J/k, don't haze him.)

Ok. It's simple. Lets assume there are 5 of you. The technique is for you 5 to line up behind one another in a straight formation and double-time, at just beyond a comforting pace. When the person in front sounds off, the person at the back will sprint as fast as he can until he's in front of the person who was previously leading. As soon as the person in the back gets to the front, the new last person (previously the second to last) will sprint to the front and then the NEW last person will sprint to the front. This continues for the entire course of the run. The more people, the better, because the distance from back to front is longer. It's easy at first, but when you're doing it with 7 or 8 people, for 3 miles (or even 2 miles) it's difficult, because the objective is to SPRINT to the front, hold a steady pace until it's your turn again and SPRINT to the front. Fun.

And it's far more moto, impressive, and fun when you're yelling Cadences at the top of your lungs while doing it.

Zumbii
10-05-10, 12:46 PM
Wow that does sound pretty cool. For our RSS pt we generally have 20 or so people, and most are pussies, so that's prolly why we haven't done it

ScarSniper
10-05-10, 12:55 PM
Wow that does sound pretty cool. For our RSS pt we generally have 20 or so people, and most are pussies, so that's prolly why we haven't done it

20 is more then enough for an indian run, we usually do it with 8 or so. I wish we could do it with 20. Poolees with no balls irritate me, they slow the RSS down and keep us from doing the really fun activities. Still, I suppose they deserve a chance to improve and better themselves as well.

And way...lets NOT derail this thread like all the others. lol. The next post should be some poolee posting their IST/PFT scores.

mcspam
10-05-10, 01:19 PM
We did indian runs where we split our poolees into different groups based on run speed, and then had 2 columns with about 6-8 guys in each and then we would do them that way.

Aitrus
10-05-10, 01:22 PM
20 is more then enough for an indian run, we usually do it with 8 or so. I wish we could do it with 20. Poolees with no balls irritate me, they slow the RSS down and keep us from doing the really fun activities. Still, I suppose they deserve a chance to improve and better themselves as well.

And way...lets NOT derail this thread like all the others. lol. The next post should be some poolee posting their IST/PFT scores.

Well, only since you insist. =p

First IST (July 23)

Pullups- 4
Run- 12:27
Crunches- 76

Most recent IST (September 23)
Pullups- 6
Run- 10:47
Crunches- 85

Having some difficulty with the pullups there, which is especially important to me since my recruiter has a deal with me that he'll give me my 03** contract only if I prove to him I have what it takes by getting my scores up more. (Run time and Cruches are good now, but he wants me at about 13 pullups).

Crunches have been a breeze for me. I'm close to 100 now, and I hardly ever even work on them, yet I keep improving on them every IST I do.

Running is going ok, other than the fact that after I do any sprinting, I feel shin splints coming on (I'm using shin splints as a general term for lower ankle pain). Running hurts no matter what, but I've learned to enjoy the challenge somewhat. If I don't feel like puking in the last stretch of the run, I figure I haven't pushed myself hard enough.

-Poolee Pike

ADRobold
10-05-10, 01:22 PM
My current IST scores are on my sig, so can i post about the indian runs?? haha. i just wanted to add another type of indian run we do at our RSS. It makes a 3 mile indian run look like a walk in the park.

In this type of run, we take a 35lb ammo can and pass it down the line, from front to back. When the can reaches the back, that is when the man sprints to the front and the can is once again passed back. As if adding another 35 pounds isnt challenging enough, the run is intensified by our Sergeant calling "Last man down" at random, but usually once a minute or so. When this is called, the poolee (or poolees in process of passing) with the ammo can must drop down and do 20 push ups while everyone else continues running. When the Poolee or Poolees doing push ups finish their set, they have to catch all the way back up to the front of the line with the ammo can and the cycle continues.

wilsontc11
10-05-10, 01:33 PM
When we indian run, we scream a war cry at the top of our lungs when you sprint. We did it at our pool function last Saturday. We went for a hike, and bystanders thought someone was being murdered out in the forest lol

Rough Hands
10-05-10, 01:36 PM
In this type of run, we take a 35lb ammo can and pass it down the line, from front to back. When the can reaches the back, that is when the man sprints to the front and the can is once again passed back. As if adding another 35 pounds isnt challenging enough, the run is intensified by our Sergeant calling "Last man down" at random, but usually once a minute or so. When this is called, the poolee (or poolees in process of passing) with the ammo can must drop down and do 20 push ups while everyone else continues running. When the Poolee or Poolees doing push ups finish their set, they have to catch all the way back up to the front of the line with the ammo can and the cycle continues.

:scared: I can dig it.

My current IST scores are on my sig, so can i post about the indian runs?? haha. i just wanted to add another type of indian run we do at our RSS. It makes a 3 mile indian run look like a walk in the park.

Well, the point of the thread is to keep track of your improvement - I assume you update your sig every time you do a new IST, so there's no way we could see your progress unless you post it.

ScarSniper
10-05-10, 01:37 PM

Damn, talk about Pain is Weakness Leaving The Body. You can be absolutely positive about me stealing that for our RSS. I've only got about a month before boot, but that sounds intense! That's a great way to build biceps and work your stamina, and cardio at the same time. Well, I still think my RSS can one-up you because on certain saturdays after the Indian Run, and saturday IST we PT some more. There's not even a name for what we did once. It was...ok..there were 4 posts...like..4 poles. We'd all line up, and run to the first pole, drop and do 10 push-ups, when the first poolee got up and run to the second post to do 10 crunches, the second poolee would run to the first post, while the first poolee would get up, run to the 3rd pole and do 10 monkey-fu*kers and then run to the last pole, which was the killer..we'd do 10 Dive-bombers. Imagine doing 5 or 10 sets of those after everything else.

Oh, and after we'd do the dive-bombers (toughest PT ever, in my opinion) we'd have to sprint to the far wall, and then sprint all the way back to the first pole.

ADRobold
10-05-10, 02:04 PM
Oh i see, well in that case, my first IST my scores were as follows:

Pull ups-5
Crunches-40
run:-11:50

And Scarsniper, I just realized we have the same ship date, Although ill be a Hollywood and i'm assuming you'll be on the Island.
As far as one-upping goes... let me tell you about what we did last night.. oh boy.

Have you heard of the deck of cards workout? if not..heres how it works.
You take a Deck of cards, and designate an exercise for each type of card. You then shuffle the cards, and flip them one at a time and do the number of reps according to the number on the card. Aces are 15, royalty is 10, and obviously the face cards are the number on the card..

Now this exercise wouldn't be so bad if you interchanged the type of exercise, but last night it was all upper body. Hearts were inclined push ups, Diamonds were diamond push ups, spades were dive bombers, and clovers were wide push ups. The two Jokers were 50 scuba steves, 3 count. We completed the whole deck with no breaks.

When you add it all up, it comes out to 100 of each type.....and extreme muscle failure. haha

ScarSniper
10-05-10, 02:12 PM
Oh i see, well in that case, my first IST my scores were as follows:

Pull ups-5
Crunches-40
run:-11:50

And Scarsniper, I just realized we have the same ship date, Although ill be a Hollywood and i'm assuming you'll be on the Island.
As far as one-upping goes... let me tell you about what we did last night.. oh boy.

Have you heard of the deck of cards workout? if not..heres how it works.
You take a Deck of cards, and designate an exercise for each type of card. You then shuffle the cards, and flip them one at a time and do the number of reps according to the number on the card. Aces are 15, royalty is 10, and obviously the face cards are the number on the card..

Now this exercise wouldn't be so bad if you interchanged the type of exercise, but last night it was all upper body. Hearts were inclined push ups, Diamonds were diamond push ups, spades were dive bombers, and clovers were wide push ups. The two Jokers were 50 scuba steves, 3 count. We completed the whole deck with no breaks.

When you add it all up, it comes out to 100 of each type.....and extreme muscle failure. haha

What's a Scuba-Steve? I know about the Deck of cards work out. Good PT. I'd one-up, but you'd one-up me right back, so lets just say we're both Studs and motivated lowly poolees, with a lower-case p. lol. Explain the Scuba-steve and then lets leave this thread for people who want to post their IST scores. And that's cool, same ship-date. I'm an Island boy though, you're Hollywood. ;P

ADRobold
10-05-10, 02:22 PM
Its basically where you get down on your stomach and make the motion of swimming swinging your arms and legs out and keeping them about 6 inches off the ground. Its probably got some other commonly used name but our Sergeant just calls em' scuba steves.

haha yes i agree. We all love pt and thats all that matters.

BassPro0007
10-05-10, 02:29 PM
You do more than 100 crunches because you will get thrashed at boot camp if you stop.

Makes scence. We get thrashed for trying to show off when we do more then 100 lol. And to Pattchan, the "bare minimum" is 50. 100 is perfect. I do agree that it should be more then 100 though. Im sure its like that for easier grading on the PFT.

PARKER93
10-05-10, 03:17 PM
First IST:
10 pull ups
77 crunches
10:36 1.5 mile

Current IST:
19 pull ups
105 crunches
8:51 1.5 mile

I still have a long way to go before Im where I want to be.

Zumbii
10-05-10, 04:50 PM
First IST:
10 pull ups
77 crunches
10:36 1.5 mile

Current IST:
19 pull ups
105 crunches
8:51 1.5 mile

I still have a long way to go before Im where I want to be.

big improvement though. keep at it.

the802
10-05-10, 06:31 PM

We do indian runs in two lines, side by side... each line has an ammo can which you pass to the person behind you...when it gets to the back, you sprint up to the front with the can, racing the person from the other line, and when you get to the front, you pass the ammo can on.

the802
10-05-10, 06:35 PM
And I just realized ADRobald already described what we do haha

LaForestLK
10-05-10, 06:40 PM
First IST 20100812- Pull up: 19 seconds
Crunch: 36
Mile Half: 14.27

Current IST 20110929- Pull up- 63 seconds
Crunch: 51
Mile Half: 13.26

Rough Hands
10-05-10, 06:46 PM
First IST 20100812- Pull up: 19 seconds
Crunch: 36
Mile Half: 14.27

Current IST 20110929- Pull up- 63 seconds
Crunch: 51
Mile Half: 13.26

How the HELL did you go from 00:19 to 1:03 for the flexed-arm hang in like a month and a half? Tell me your secrets!

LaForestLK
10-05-10, 06:53 PM
How the HELL did you go from 00:19 to 1:03 for the flexed-arm hang in like a month and a half? Tell me your secrets!
I did a lot of push ups, diamond push ups, and diamond scorpion push ups and whatever workout we did at PT the day previous on the days I don't have PT.

ScarSniper
10-05-10, 08:14 PM

Motivation, Ms. Alaska. lol. Motivation. I was working this one poolee and her run time flew down from 14 minutes to 10 minutes in 2 weeks, no lie. lol. It help that she had calves that could mule-kick a rhino and that she danced, but it's all motivation...you just keep at it and persevere and remember that the Marine Corps is all about "Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body." :flag:

ScarSniper
10-05-10, 08:15 PM
I did a lot of push ups, diamond push ups, and diamond scorpion push ups and whatever workout we did at PT the day previous on the days I don't have PT.

Diamond Push-ups? How many Diamond push-ups can you do at full speed? And..what in thee blue hell..... are Diamond scorpion push-ups? They sound intense and I'd like to incorporate them into my PT

ADRobold
10-05-10, 08:30 PM
Diamond Push-ups? How many Diamond push-ups can you do at full speed? And..what in thee blue hell..... are Diamond scorpion push-ups? They sound intense and I'd like to incorporate them into my PT

Ahahaha my thoughts exactly. Sounds like something from the Matrix trilogy. :thumbup:

LaForestLK
10-05-10, 10:35 PM
I dunno, never counted but I know I that I do a whole lot more than I used to..I'll count next time. And scorpions are like diamonds but you raise your right leg up as high as possible and try to touch your head with your foot and then start pushing up.

LaForestLK
10-05-10, 10:39 PM
Ahahaha my thoughts exactly. Sounds like something from the Matrix trilogy. :thumbup:
Aha :-) thank Gunny Spradlin

ADRobold
10-05-10, 10:48 PM
There it is!!! Just like Trinitys scorpion kick in the first movie!! booo yaaa

Rough Hands
10-05-10, 10:56 PM

I gotta' give you mad props - that is one hell of an improvement. You have motivated me to haze myself over the next two weeks. I'm determined to max one of my stats, whether it's the hang, crunches, or the run. It's gonna' happen before I ship.

Motivation, Ms. Alaska. lol. Motivation. I was working this one poolee and her run time flew down from 14 minutes to 10 minutes in 2 weeks, no lie. lol. It help that she had calves that could mule-kick a rhino and that she danced, but it's all motivation...you just keep at it and persevere and remember that the Marine Corps is all about "Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body." :flag:
Don't even start. lol. What kind of training did you do to get her down to 10:00? I'm convinced I'll run the next IST in under 12:00, I can just FEEL it. I've got 2 and half weeks before I ship; let's see if I can meet the 10-minute challenge!

I dunno, never counted but I know I that I do a whole lot more than I used to..I'll count next time. And scorpions are like diamonds but you raise your right leg up as high as possible and try to touch your head with your foot and then start pushing up.

I'm having a hard time picturing this. lol. But at least the name makes sense; I still don't understand why Chinese sit-ups are called "Chinese sit-ups"...

Yankeeloon200
10-06-10, 01:44 AM
I have been in the DEP for 1 month but this is what my old IST used to be before i decided to join

Summer of 09-

Pullups- 1
Crunches- 45
Run Time- 15:09
Height and Weight- 6' 155pds

And my current one is in my sig. I have only been working out for a month so hopefully by the end of the year i can get around 6 pullups - 70 crunches and a run time of 13:00. My current height and weight is 6'2 170pds

ADRobold
10-06-10, 05:00 AM
I have been in the DEP for 1 month but this is what my old IST used to be before i decided to join

Summer of 09-

Pullups- 1
Crunches- 45
Run Time- 15:09
Height and Weight- 6' 155pds

And my current one is in my sig. I have only been working out for a month so hopefully by the end of the year i can get around 6 pullups - 70 crunches and a run time of 13:00. My current height and weight is 6'2 170pds

All you gotta do is go buy a cheap door hanging pull up bar and max out a few times every day, trust me, you'll see improvment fast.

LaForestLK
10-06-10, 05:21 AM
I gotta' give you mad props - that is one hell of an improvement. You have motivated me to haze myself over the next two weeks. I'm determined to max one of my stats, whether it's the hang, crunches, or the run. It's gonna' happen before I ship.

Don't even start. lol. What kind of training did you do to get her down to 10:00? I'm convinced I'll run the next IST in under 12:00, I can just FEEL it. I've got 2 and half weeks before I ship; let's see if I can meet the 10-minute challenge!

I'm having a hard time picturing this. lol. But at least the name makes sense; I still don't understand why Chinese sit-ups are called "Chinese sit-ups"...
What are Chinese situps?
You have the right attitude! It'll happen, just keep working hard. :)

pattchan
10-06-10, 11:35 AM
scorpions are basically cock-ups
chinese situps is like situp then go stand up i think

Rough Hands
10-06-10, 02:42 PM
scorpions are basically cock-ups
chinese situps is like situp then go stand up i think

Yeah, basically a "Chinese Situp" starts in the normal situp position, with someone holding your feet the Marine Corps way, although, they should have a tighter hold around your legs so you have a little more leverage coming up. You start your crunch, but instead of coming down after making it to the up-position, you thrust your hips forward and stand. Then you come back down. That is one rep of a Chinese Situp.

There was a video of it on YouTube with some Marines doing them during MCMAP training, but I can't seem to find it now...

LaForestLK
10-06-10, 03:32 PM
Yeah, basically a "Chinese Situp" starts in the normal situp position, with someone holding your feet the Marine Corps way, although, they should have a tighter hold around your legs so you have a little more leverage coming up. You start your crunch, but instead of coming down after making it to the up-position, you thrust your hips forward and stand. Then you come back down. That is one rep of a Chinese Situp.

There was a video of it on YouTube with some Marines doing them during MCMAP training, but I can't seem to find it now...

Sounds intense. I think I'll suggest that we incorporate that exercise in our PT routine..

ScarSniper
10-06-10, 04:36 PM
Sounds intense. I think I'll suggest that we incorporate that exercise in our PT routine..

Oh, so just like that, right Ms? Steal my idea AND my phrases, hmm? Incorporate that exercise in our PT? And you don't even offer to buy me a drink? (I know. I'm shameless. And you're probably like "What the heck is he talking about?" I used that same phrase a few posts back..with the same idea. )

Really though, they're not that intense...after 25 Mountain Climbers (Marine count) 25 Dive-bombers (M.Count) 25 Chicken-wings and other stuff, a sergeant from my RS made us do 25 Chinese sit-ups and I hardly broke a sweat. Easy.

Rough Hands. I got her down to 10 minutes by running with her every day, and pushing her to run and keep up with me until her heart was literally bulging out of her chest like a lovesick cartoon character, then I had her doing sets of lunges with 15 lbs back and forth until I got bored watching her. On her run, with me yelling in her ears and "motivating" her, she just kept running and even when she was tired, dehydrated and irritated(she hardly complained) she finished the run. Like I said however, having a dancer's legs helped...and when she slowed down, it would vex me and I'd go behind her and literally push her, which would force her to either move her legs fast enough to keep up with the speed I was pushing her body, or fall and have me "accidentally" trample over her before helping her up. She chose the former, and got better faster, and got faster quicker.

LaForestLK
10-06-10, 05:10 PM
Oh, so just like that, right Ms? Steal my idea AND my phrases, hmm? Incorporate that exercise in our PT? And you don't even offer to buy me a drink? (I know. I'm shameless. And you're probably like "What the heck is he talking about?" I used that same phrase a few posts back..with the same idea. )

Really though, they're not that intense...after 25 Mountain Climbers (Marine count) 25 Dive-bombers (M.Count) 25 Chicken-wings and other stuff, a sergeant from my RS made us do 25 Chinese sit-ups and I hardly broke a sweat. Easy.

Rough Hands. I got her down to 10 minutes by running with her every day, and pushing her to run and keep up with me until her heart was literally bulging out of her chest like a lovesick cartoon character, then I had her doing sets of lunges with 15 lbs back and forth until I got bored watching her. On her run, with me yelling in her ears and "motivating" her, she just kept running and even when she was tired, dehydrated and irritated(she hardly complained) she finished the run. Like I said however, having a dancer's legs helped...and when she slowed down, it would vex me and I'd go behind her and literally push her, which would force her to either move her legs fast enough to keep up with the speed I was pushing her body, or fall and have me "accidentally" trample over her before helping her up. She chose the former, and got better faster, and got faster quicker.
Well maybe you're just a beast, Scar :P . With a name like that I'd believe it..Puts my mind on the Lion King, hahaha. And nope, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm so lost haha.

ScarSniper
10-06-10, 05:32 PM
Well maybe you're just a beast, Scar :P . With a name like that I'd believe it..Puts my mind on the Lion King, hahaha. And nope, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm so lost haha.

NVM then. A Beast? Yes, I am pretty Beastly with the PT (and modest too, as you can see) but really it's all determination, dedication, motivation and the urge to erase all competition from the surface of the earth. As far as I'm concerned, in my mind, I'm my own planet and anyone else is a satellite, revolving around me and gravitating towards my atmosphere trying to get a glimpse of a star. It sounds selfish, but not really, Marine Corps is all about brother and sisterhood and I'm all for that, but you also have to have that self-determination and survival instinct and competitive streak that surges you ahead of the rest and pushes you to be the best. For my potential MOS that's where my head is at. But no, I wouldn't push my brother off a cliff....and I'm more of a solitary Tiger then a prideful lion.

Anyway..they're easy. Try 'em. (Chinese sit-ups)

LaForestLK
10-06-10, 05:46 PM
NVM then. A Beast? Yes, I am pretty Beastly with the PT (and modest too, as you can see) but really it's all determination, dedication, motivation and the urge to erase all competition from the surface of the earth. As far as I'm concerned, in my mind, I'm my own planet and anyone else is a satellite, revolving around me and gravitating towards my atmosphere trying to get a glimpse of a star. It sounds selfish, but not really, Marine Corps is all about brother and sisterhood and I'm all for that, but you also have to have that self-determination and survival instinct and competitive streak that surges you ahead of the rest and pushes you to be the best. For my potential MOS that's where my head is at. But no, I wouldn't push my brother off a cliff....and I'm more of a solitary Tiger then a prideful lion.

Anyway..they're easy. Try 'em. (Chinese sit-ups)
Well-said.. No, I get what you totally mean. . I'm a very family-oriented person too, so I'm real big on the camaraderie thing that the Marines have going on. . But I'm really competitive too, and regardless of if other people think I did good, if I don't feel like I did enough, I'm going to be ****ed off at myself and I go home and drill and drill and drill myself until I get it down and I know I'm gonna master it. Hahahaha..I wouldn't push my brothers off the cliff either. What is your potential MOS?

ScarSniper
10-06-10, 05:50 PM
Well-said.. No, I get what you totally mean. . I'm a very family-oriented person too, so I'm real big on the camaraderie thing that the Marines have going on. . But I'm really competitive too, and regardless of if other people think I did good, if I don't feel like I did enough, I'm going to be ****ed off at myself and I go home and drill and drill and drill myself until I get it down and I know I'm gonna master it. Hahahaha..I wouldn't push my brothers off the cliff either. What is your potential MOS?

My current MOS is 03xx (hopefully 11) ...my potential MOS (depending on how I fair at Boot, my rifle qual. ect.) is 0317- Scout/Sniper. Potential because if I work hard enough and obliterate doubts, I can potentially be a Scout-Sniper, not because I have the potential to be one right now. I have to earn it.

Rough Hands
10-07-10, 03:29 PM
I just realized that this thread could also incorporate CFT scores, but it doesn't sound like many RSS' perform CFT's all that often. If you've ran one though, feel free to post your stats.

I've done a fireman's carry and ammo can lifts, but I haven't done a full CFT yet.

bnadio
10-07-10, 04:29 PM
I have only done one IST.

Andrew09
10-07-10, 05:27 PM
First IST
1.5 Mile Run: 11:24
Crunches: 36
Pullups: 11

Last IST
1.5 Mile Run: 11:46
Crunches: 96
Pullups: 16

Rough Hands
10-09-10, 03:30 PM
First IST
1.5 Mile Run: 11:24
Crunches: 36
Pullups: 11

Last IST
1.5 Mile Run: 11:46
Crunches: 96
Pullups: 16

About how much time lapsed between these ISTs? You really improved on your crunches.

Andrew09
10-09-10, 06:15 PM
About how much time lapsed between these ISTs? You really improved on your crunches.

8 months.

Rough Hands
10-09-10, 07:53 PM
8 months.

Good to go. :thumbup:

RSSpooleeBPT
10-09-10, 08:33 PM

What are Dive-bombers and Chicken-Wings?....Never heard of them before.

RSSpooleeBPT
10-09-10, 08:35 PM

What are Dive-bombers and Chicken-wings?....Never heard of them before.

Rough Hands
10-09-10, 11:56 PM
What are Dive-bombers and Chicken-wings?....Never heard of them before.

http://fightdirty.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/hindu-pushup.jpg

I have no idea what a chicken-winger is, but dive-bombers are cake to me.

DevilDogsSon269
10-09-10, 11:57 PM
Current IST/Best IST

Run 14:06(sick 2 weeks prior still had remnant)/9:34
Pull Ups 8/16
Sit Ups 65/97

RBrouse
10-10-10, 02:28 AM
Run: 12:02
crunches:65
pull ups:4
this is my firat IST and when i ran the 1.5 at home i normaly got a 12:40 so I guess i ran really well today off of 1 hour of sleep...

DevilDogsSon269
10-10-10, 03:12 AM
crunches:65
pull ups:4
this is my firat IST and when i ran the 1.5 at home i normaly got a 12:40 so I guess i ran really well today off of 1 hour of sleep...

I ran today with none... it sucked!

Meagan92
10-10-10, 02:47 PM
First IST: (February)
FAH: 13 seconds
Crunches: 43
Run: 14:01
weight--155 lbs.

Current IST: (October)
FAH: 60 seconds
Crunches: 83
Run: 9:30
weight--137 lbs.

* my run time always seems to fluctuate, and crunches.

JP702
10-14-10, 03:34 AM
I haven't posted an IST since ~June. My scores have greatly improved, especially pull ups. I love that Recon Ron program. :D

Pull-Ups: 17
Crunches: ~115
1.5M: 11:09

I need to work on my run time. Ever since I've been free from a woman, I've started smoking again, but I've definitely cut it back the past three weeks. My pool also just finished a 8.5 mile hike/run through Red Rock Canyon. I plan to get a 10:30 on my next IST. No scratch that, I WILL get a 10:30.

ScarSniper
10-14-10, 03:20 PM
First IST: (February)
FAH: 13 seconds
Run: 14:01
weight--155 lbs.

Current IST: (October)
FAH: 60 seconds
Crunches: 83
Run: 9:30
weight--137 lbs.

* my run time always seems to fluctuate, and crunches.

Your runtime is 9:30? That's better than a lot of the freaking poolees at my RS. Nice. Everyone's run fluctuates. The variables are infinite. Weather, rest-time ect. Crunches fluctuate as well. It's usually what people work on the least. Also, food is a variable.

pooleesasquatch
10-15-10, 01:50 AM
My first IST was horrendous!
1.5 mile run: 14:50
crunches:54
flexed arm hang:18 seconds

IST I did today
1.5 mile run: 12:43
crunches:82
flexed arm hang:77 seconds
+3 pull ups

DevilDogsSon269
10-15-10, 08:01 AM
Most current IST:

Run: 8:42
Sit Ups: 92
Pull Ups: 12

topless617
10-15-10, 03:52 PM
The dive bombers thing.. is that an ab exercise? Looks like an ab stretch to me.

noviatt
10-15-10, 04:18 PM
First IST(sometime in Aug I think...)
1.5 run: 13:59
Crunches: 57
Arm-hang: 30sec

Latest IST in sig. I haven't improved much which ****es me off. I've been working harder lately and have a Saturday function tomorrow. Hopefully I'll see some better scores ;)

ScarSniper
10-16-10, 06:26 PM
The dive bombers thing.. is that an ab exercise? Looks like an ab stretch to me.

Not at all. Upper body. It's shoulders and chest. They're great and when you have to do 30 Marine Corps counts of them, they hurt like hell. Just try it out and you'll feel the effects of what it works out.

PARKER93
10-16-10, 07:22 PM
Took another IST today:

19 Pull ups
88 Crunches
8:13 1.5 Mile

I need to get my crunches and pull ups higher, but I can't complain about the run.

TFKnight
10-20-10, 01:00 AM
Best Scores

FAH- 65 seconds
crunches- 81
1.5 mi. run- 10:51

DarkHorse
10-25-10, 06:55 PM
My Pullup and Crunches are from the IST I took right after I swore in and probably lost 2 pounds that week just because I had barely any time to eat while running around getting stuff together to go to MEPs. The run was at an IST I was at the Saturday before the week I enlisted, but my recruiter said he'd just put that time in as the qualifying time so that I could enter the DEP since there is no track at the MEPs I went to and there won't be another IST for a couple of weeks if not more.

Pullups: 15

Crunches: 67

1.5 Mile Run: 9:54 (sprinted at the very end so it probably would have ended up around 10:02-05 if I just kept the same pace).

Yankeeloon200
10-28-10, 10:48 PM
Dam this thread makes me depressed. Im working on my IST so i dont go to boot camp with the minimum. but almost everyone in here is doing like 10+ pullups running well and doing situps well. while im just barely getting by.

I hope im not the most unfit kid to ever go to Parris Island

DarkHorse
10-29-10, 09:18 AM
Dam this thread makes me depressed. Im working on my IST so i dont go to boot camp with the minimum. but almost everyone in here is doing like 10+ pullups running well and doing situps well. while im just barely getting by.

We all started where you are, so you can go way past minimium if you continue to work. If you have excess weight, lose it. You'll see your pullups and runtime increase dramatically.

RBrouse
10-29-10, 03:36 PM

When I first got on this site and when I first entered the DEP I was at 0 pullups 45 crunches and a 14+ 1.5 mile if you work on it it will come my last ist was 6 pull ups 66 crunches and 12:02 1.5 run that is only after a month of being in the DEP also if you are over weight, lose it I started at 236 and now am down in the 100's barly but I'm there.:D I know if you want to be a marine you will be able to get it up:thumbup:

luis2787
10-29-10, 04:19 PM
When I first got on this site and when I first entered the DEP I was at 0 pullups 45 crunches and a 14+ 1.5 mile if you work on it it will come my last ist was 6 pull ups 66 crunches and 12:02 1.5 run that is only after a month of being in the DEP also if you are over weight, lose it I started at 236 and now am down in the 100's barly but I'm there.:D I know if you want to be a marine you will be able to get it up:thumbup:

i finally am able to do 10 pull ups =)

Nate081304
10-30-10, 05:56 AM
First IST:

Pull ups: 10
Crunches: 58
1.5 mile: 10:10

Most Recent IST in Sig.

Just keep at it, you'll be shocked at the progress you'll make if you put everything you've got into it.
Diet and sleep are more crucial than you think, so make sure you've got everything working in your favor!

LaForestLK
11-06-10, 03:40 PM
Uhh today we had a poole fucntion, IST. . I've been sick so Gunny told me I could not run. . .But I hung up on the FAH for 83 seconds, and I did 80 crunches. Getting better..

ScarSniper
11-06-10, 04:28 PM
I'm shipping out in a week and I ran my IST at Long Island today. If there's one thing I hate more than fat people who aren't trying to change themselves...it's shin-splints. Today was the first day that I've ran a mile and a 1/2 in more then 9 minutes, and it felt terrible. It's my fault. The last poolee meeting we had (before today) consisted of a 3 mile run across the Brooklyn Bridge and back and I didn't stretch my legs out afterward..fully knowing the consequences, so I had to run today's IST with the worst Shin-splint in the history of shin-splints. Everytime my left foot hit the deck it felt like Thor's hammer. I'm not making excuses. I sucked today and it was my fault, I showed no discipline on the run. I started behind everybody and then sprinted to the front so I was the person in the lead at first until another poolee from my RS surged passed me. My problem was that I started too fast, which I don't usually do but thought I could handle it, even though I knew I had a shin-splint, so I lost control of my breathing and couldn't find my normal pace today. Moral: I'm an idiot. I took for granted my speed and didn't take care of my legs..and the result is passing the IST, but not with the score I was anticipating. I'm not that disappointed because it's happened to me before and then i've gone back to running 1.5 in 9 minutes...but still..I was stupid. Never again. Take note, poolees...stretch.

Yankeeloon200
11-06-10, 04:42 PM
I'm shipping out in a week and I ran my IST at Long Island today. If there's one thing I hate more than fat people who aren't trying to change themselves...it's shin-splints. Today was the first day that I've ran a mile and a 1/2 in more then 9 minutes, and it felt terrible. It's my fault. The last poolee meeting we had (before today) consisted of a 3 mile run across the Brooklyn Bridge and back and I didn't stretch my legs out afterward..fully knowing the consequences, so I had to run today's IST with the worst Shin-splint in the history of shin-splints. Everytime my left foot hit the deck it felt like Thor's hammer. I'm not making excuses. I sucked today and it was my fault, I showed no discipline on the run. I started behind everybody and then sprinted to the front so I was the person in the lead at first until another poolee from my RS surged passed me. My problem was that I started too fast, which I don't usually do but thought I could handle it, even though I knew I had a shin-splint, so I lost control of my breathing and couldn't find my normal pace today. Moral: I'm an idiot. I took for granted my speed and didn't take care of my legs..and the result is passing the IST, but not with the score I was anticipating. I'm not that disappointed because it's happened to me before and then i've gone back to running 1.5 in 9 minutes...but still..I was stupid. Never again. Take note, poolees...stretch.

Dude i totally know what you're getting at. When i was on the track team last year it felt like every time i took a step my ankles were imploding. It really is the worst pain ive ever had without breaking something and i had to quit the team because of how bad they were getting. To get rid of it ice it all the time, take some ibuprofen, and rest. it took me about 1-2 weeks before i was back 100%

ScarSniper
11-06-10, 04:50 PM
Dude i totally know what you're getting at. When i was on the track team last year it felt like every time i took a step my ankles were imploding. It really is the worst pain ive ever had without breaking something and i had to quit the team because of how bad they were getting. To get rid of it ice it all the time, take some ibuprofen, and rest. it took me about 1-2 weeks before i was back 100%

See, that's the thing. I ship out to bootcamp in a WEEK, so I need to get good to go NOW or suck it up later. I'll do the ice and Ibu, and I'll stretch this entire week. Hopefully they wont make me run another IST next Friday (maybe I should've been ghost for this poolee meeting but I'm too motivated to cop the easy way out and miss out on the excitement). It doesn't matter. The pain is like bolts of lightning coursing through my bones and muscles but I'll do the best I can this week to heal. Either way, the next time I run I'll use my discipline and acclimate if I have to, because shin-splint or no shin-splint, if my run time isn't 9:00 and better, I've failed the IST and that's not an option.

LaForestLK
11-06-10, 06:59 PM

That's still really good, I'm sure it wasn't that much higher than 9 mins, maybe 10 mins at the most. Most people, without shin splints, can only run their mile and a half within 10-12 mins. You were having a bad day..Happens to the best of us. You got this..And good luck at bootcamp.

ScarSniper
11-06-10, 07:17 PM
That's still really good, I'm sure it wasn't that much higher than 9 mins, maybe 10 mins at the most. Most people, without shin splints, can only run their mile and a half within 10-12 mins. You were having a bad day..Happens to the best of us. You got this..And good luck at bootcamp.

Thank you. I had a bad day. I don't doubt myself. I could blame the extremely cold weather in my lungs. I could say I haven't been training for my runtime in a while, which is true. Obviously, the shin-splint is what really hindered me, so that's a great excuse. The fact however, is that I SUCKED today. I started fast and lost my bearing. I didn't utilize my usual technique and I allowed my lungs to become overwhelmed. Sh!t happens, but I'll make sure it was a freak accident and it wont occur again. The Marines at my RS didn't even give me slack about it because they know I usually dominate on the run. I'll do 9:00 next time and get back on track to a perfect 300. To poolees, don't let personal failures demotivate you, just use it for fuel, treat it as an insult and get back at it.

luis2787
11-06-10, 07:23 PM
Thank you. I had a bad day. I don't doubt myself. I could blame the extremely cold weather in my lungs. I could say I haven't been training for my runtime in a while, which is true. Obviously, the shin-splint is what really hindered me, so that's a great excuse. The fact however, is that I SUCKED today. I started fast and lost my bearing. I didn't utilize my usual technique and I allowed my lungs to become overwhelmed. Sh!t happens, but I'll make sure it was a freak accident and it wont occur again. The Marines at my RS didn't even give me slack about it because they know I usually dominate on the run. I'll do 9:00 next time and get back on track to a perfect 300. To poolees, don't let personal failures demotivate you, just use it for fuel, treat it as an insult and get back at it.

Scar dont feel bad i just got a ankle injury on Wednesday its killing me but hey i am still running everyday so i know what your going threw.

ScarSniper
11-06-10, 07:31 PM
Scar dont feel bad i just got a ankle injury on Wednesday its killing me but hey i am still running everyday so i know what your going threw.

Thanks bro. You know what's motivating? I'm not a giant dude. I'm in shape, I have a 6 pack, I've got muscles, but by no standards am I built looking. I'm STRONG, or at least, I believe myself to be strong although once at boot, I'm sure my DIs will rectify that immediately. Still, I'm on the slim side of things....but so is this Marine who's at our RS. This Marine is as slim as me if not slimmer. He graduated bootcamp with a 285 and is now a perfect 300. His run time is 3 miles in 17 something. That's moto to me...representing in that slim but deadly fashion.

lmm11205
11-06-10, 10:22 PM
Thanks bro. You know what's motivating? I'm not a giant dude. I'm in shape, I have a 6 pack, I've got muscles, but by no standards am I built looking. I'm STRONG, or at least, I believe myself to be strong although once at boot, I'm sure my DIs will rectify that immediately. Still, I'm on the slim side of things....but so is this Marine who's at our RS. This Marine is as slim as me if not slimmer. He graduated bootcamp with a 285 and is now a perfect 300. His run time is 3 miles in 17 something. That's moto to me...representing in that slim but deadly fashion.

I know how a stupid injury is a huge bummer. I messed up my knee by overworking it last week. Its all swelled up and freaking me out bc we only have a week left. Its getting better.....but not fast enough! My days till next monday are going to consist of ice, aspirin and lots of rest. yay.

PooleeKing
11-07-10, 09:00 AM
First IST (20100212)
Pullups: 7
Crunches: 55
1.5 Run: 10:00
Latest IST (20101023)
Crunches: 79
1.5 Run: 9:04

PARKER93
11-07-10, 10:12 AM
Took another IST yesterday. Im not used to the cold yet so my run time got a lot slower. But still no excuses.

19 pull ups
159 crunches
8:46 run

Yankeeloon200
11-07-10, 12:14 PM
Took another IST yesterday. Im not used to the cold yet so my run time got a lot slower. But still no excuses.

19 pull ups
159 crunches

Beast?

Davemercd
11-07-10, 02:53 PM

19 pull ups
159 crunches

*******!

Laxer17
11-07-10, 02:59 PM
Parker93s post makes me almost embarrassed to post my scores.
1st IST:
Pull-ups: 8
Sit-ups:44
Run:13:30

Latest:
Pull-ups:10
Sit-ups:65
Run:12:00

and Davemercd we got the same ship date bro to bad your going to SD :P

luis2787
11-07-10, 03:09 PM
im kinda bummed becuase i have a sprained ankle so i have to call and tell my recruiter tomorrow =/

Nate081304
11-07-10, 09:59 PM
im kinda bummed becuase i have a sprained ankle so i have to call and tell my recruiter tomorrow =/

Ouch, well at least you have some time before you ship out yet, keep it positive.

Davemercd
11-07-10, 11:02 PM
Parker93s post makes me almost embarrassed to post my scores.
1st IST:
Sit-ups:44
Run:13:30

Latest:
Pull-ups:10
Sit-ups:65
Run:12:00

and Davemercd we got the same ship date bro to bad your going to SD :P

Ain't nothing wrong with San Diego. I hear they have this mountain, called Mt. Mother****er, it's really fun to climb from what I hear.

luis2787
11-08-10, 09:47 AM
Ouch, well at least you have some time before you ship out yet, keep it positive.

yea i am i gonna slow run this week

Laxer17
11-08-10, 01:21 PM
Ain't nothing wrong with San Diego. I hear they have this mountain, called Mt. Mother****er, it's really fun to climb from what I hear.

Wasnt saying there was anything wrong with Hollywood bro. Just saying it would be sweeter if we were going to the same Depot is all

ScarSniper
11-08-10, 01:27 PM
yea i am i gonna slow run this week

Or how about a "no" run this week? A sprained ankle isn't the way to go. Ice it and keep it elevated. Running will only enhance it, and not in a desirable way. Take it easy, man.

shadox
11-08-10, 01:30 PM
Or how about a "no" run this week? A sprained ankle isn't the way to go. Ice it and keep it elevated. Running will only enhance it, and not in a desirable way. Take it easy, man.

Yeah man, all you need is a stress fracture or injure it further.

Yankeeloon200
11-08-10, 08:04 PM
Yeah man, all you need is a stress fracture or injure it further.

Yep, when i got shin splints and still decided to jog. i got stress fractures a week later and that crap takes like 3 weeks to a month to go away

Wenzel
11-08-10, 10:10 PM
First IST (A While Ago)
Pull-ups: 3
Crunches: 50
1.5 Run: 13:40

Latest IST (20101106)
Pull-ups: 7
Crunches:103
1.5 Run: 12'10''

Wenzel
11-08-10, 10:12 PM

That is quite possibly the funniest F@$#ing thing I've heard today.

RBrouse
11-09-10, 02:51 AM
I herd from a returning marine there is a mountain called the reaper that you climb at the end of the crucible six miles straight up then six miles straight down... cant wait :D

BurkeWorld
11-09-10, 08:16 AM
I've made some improvements I think in the past 2 months. Always looking to improve! Stats are in my signature.

~Burke

Yankeeloon200
11-09-10, 08:54 AM
I've made some improvements I think in the past 2 months. Always looking to improve! Stats are in my signature.

~Burke

Nice job man. what's your workout routine?

BurkeWorld
11-09-10, 08:58 AM
Nice job man. what's your workout routine?

1) Overhauled my diet completely as I used to just eat junk.

2) Started running low intensity. Now that I've gotten my wind and such, I go longer, further and faster, then at the end of every week I try to do a really hard challenge (Last week was a 10 mile run, was tough, but I pulled it off) I take Sunday's off to recover. I run 3-4 miles everyday now, varying pace and hill routes around my neighbourhood. Sprints on Saturday/Poolee functions PT helps and is fun.

3) Weight training for the pull ups and whatnot. Curls, shoulder presses, lat pull downs almost daily, giving rest when needed. I started off at 8 push ups back 2 months ago before failure. Few days ago I did a max set of 84 push ups before failure.

Diet. Run. As my recruiter puts it, "Pick stuff up, put stuff down. Repeat."

I dunno if my method is right or wrong, but it's working for me.

~Burke

Yankeeloon200
11-09-10, 09:03 AM
1) Overhauled my diet completely as I used to just eat junk.

2) Started running low intensity. Now that I've gotten my wind and such, I go longer, further and faster, then at the end of every week I try to do a really hard challenge (Last week was a 10 mile run, was tough, but I pulled it off) I take Sunday's off to recover. I run 3-4 miles everyday now, varying pace and hill routes around my neighbourhood. Sprints on Saturday/Poolee functions PT helps and is fun.

3) Weight training for the pull ups and whatnot. Curls, shoulder presses, lat pull downs almost daily, giving rest when needed. I started off at 8 push ups back 2 months ago before failure. Few days ago I did a max set of 84 push ups before failure.

Diet. Run. As my recruiter puts it, "Pick stuff up, put stuff down. Repeat."

I dunno if my method is right or wrong, but it's working for me.

~Burke

Nice job, my IST is probably taking a bit slower because my diet sucks..i usually have to run on a crappy treadmill because my lungs cant handle running in the freezing weather here in NY.

BurkeWorld
11-09-10, 09:05 AM
Nice job, my IST is probably taking a bit slower because my diet sucks..i usually have to run on a crappy treadmill because my lungs cant handle running in the freezing weather here in NY.

I live in Boston, we get similar weather. I just get a mouth wrap and layer it up and run. Surely if I can do it, anyone can do it. ;)

Get outside and run, it won't kill ya. You think at Recruit Training they're going to not make us run because it's a lil cold out?

Not bustin' your balls man, just tryin' to get people outta the house and running. Layers and mouth mask to keep breath warm, does the trick for me.

~Burke

Yankeeloon200
11-09-10, 09:11 AM
I live in Boston, we get similar weather. I just get a mouth wrap and layer it up and run. Surely if I can do it, anyone can do it. ;)

Get outside and run, it won't kill ya. You think at Recruit Training they're going to not make us run because it's a lil cold out?

Not bustin' your balls man, just tryin' to get people outta the house and running. Layers and mouth mask to keep breath warm, does the trick for me.

~Burke

Hmm mouth wrap? never thought of that. And yea i usually just dont like running in the cold because i dont sweat and it just feels wierd. Treadmill still gets the job done but running on a moving mat feels unnatural. and your not bustin my balls i know your just helpin haha.

BurkeWorld
11-09-10, 09:13 AM
Hmm mouth wrap? never thought of that. And yea i usually just dont like running in the cold because i dont sweat and it just feels wierd. Treadmill still gets the job done but running on a moving mat feels unnatural. and your not bustin my balls i know your just helpin haha.

Right, I was similar when I started running out in the cold. But after I learned to wear layers, I still sweat. My bottom layer would be soaked even if it was cold or windy out. My dad was a marathoner in his younger days, he taught me the mouth-wrap thing, it really keeps your breath warm and doesn't restrict your breathing. Also; wear a hat, helps keep the head heat in which is very important.

~Burke

luis2787
11-09-10, 09:16 AM
Right, I was similar when I started running out in the cold. But after I learned to wear layers, I still sweat. My bottom layer would be soaked even if it was cold or windy out. My dad was a marathoner in his younger days, he taught me the mouth-wrap thing, it really keeps your breath warm and doesn't restrict your breathing. Also; wear a hat, helps keep the head heat in which is very important.

~Burke
all i do is run on a treadmill for 8mph for 30 mins straight everyday in winter time doesnt effect my run time it improves it.

BurkeWorld
11-09-10, 10:10 AM
Yeah, whatever works for you, that's awesome. I have my own plan, and everyone does what they need to do.

Bottom line; PT all day, everyday. :D

~Burke

Wenzel
11-09-10, 11:55 AM
Can't wait for the winter, get on that snow-running! Who's with me?

Andrew Jackson
11-09-10, 12:38 PM
1st IST:

Pullups: 0
Run: 15:56

Most Recent IST:

Crunches: 76

I think I've improved some eh? Still gotta ways to go though before January. I want to get 100 crunches by time I ship, take another minute off my run, and get 20 pullups.

ScarSniper
11-09-10, 02:44 PM
1st IST:

Run: 15:56

Most Recent IST:

Crunches: 76

I think I've improved some eh? Still gotta ways to go though before January. I want to get 100 crunches by time I ship, take another minute off my run, and get 20 pullups.

Out-****ing-standing improvement. How long did it take?

ScarSniper
11-09-10, 02:52 PM
Just want to throw this out there! I know the Marine Corps is big on pull-ups and that's the backbone of our PT, but don't skimp on the push-ups! Understand that just because you can accomplish over 10 pull-ups or even a perfect 20 doesn't mean push-ups aren't fundamental. I know I'm no expert at bodybuilding or PT, but I know that push-ups contribute massively when it comes to raw power, and also just because one can do 20 plus pull-ups doesn't mean he will be able to execute "x" amount of push-ups. Just like every other workout, natural strength plays a part, but in the end it's sets of reps that will build the numbers up. I don't want to be the guy who aces the PFT but can't handle the quarterdeck, neither does anyone reading this. Hundreds and thousands of push-ups, poolees. The reason I'm saying this is because I myself took push-ups for a joke, and that would've been a tragedy if I hadn't changed my approach. Diamond push-ups work wonders, too.

ScarSniper
11-09-10, 03:06 PM
Push-up Form (for those of you who aren't familiar): Arms shoulder width apart, with palms (not fists) flat on the deck, back should be firm and straight, and legs should be together, but not interlocking. Head should never be facing the deck, but should be forward (safety reasons). At the down position, elbows should be at a complete right angle, with chest very close to the deck (varies; some will say chest should hit the deck, we'll find out for sure at boot) Push-up until elbows are completely locked out. Breathe. Repeat until failure or until proper form is impossible due to fatigue.

Jellyman
11-09-10, 03:10 PM
Most recent:

Pullups: 23
Situps: 94
Run: 11:09

vanpomit2010
11-10-10, 09:07 AM
1st IST (June 2010)
Pull-ups: 18
Crunches: 86
1.5 Mile Run: 10:34

Last IST (20101102)
Pull-ups: 27
Crunches: 139
1.5 Mile Run: 9:34

Ship Date: 20101213

shadox
11-10-10, 09:17 AM
new ist stats
pullups-10
crunches-150
1.5 run- 10:51

Andrew Jackson
11-11-10, 04:52 PM
Out-****ing-standing improvement. How long did it take?

Thanks, man. Everybody in the pool says I am the hardest worker and out the most effort. Motivation kept me going, and when I didn't have the motivation dedication kept me going. Also, I lead PT twice a week out of our 4 day pt schedule so that keeps me working hard to motivate the other poolies, even the ones who are stronger than me.

Well I started pt'ing in January 2010 weighing 240 lbs. That first IST was around April or May, and the most recent one was last weekend. So it has taken a long time to get where I am today though I still gotta work harder and get more progress. Before I leave in January I want to hit 20 pullups, 100 crunches and get my run to 11 minutes. I also want to lose at least 10 more pounds. If I could get back down to 190 I would be really happy. I currently weigh 204.

dotKev
11-13-10, 01:51 PM
Took my first IST today after being in the DEP since 20101020.

Pull-ups: 5
Crunches: 42
1.5 Mile Run: 10:30 minutes

I'd consider that pretty good for my standards considering a month ago I couldn't do two dead hang pull ups and only got around 30 good crunches. I'm 145lbs and 6'2", don't have a lot of time to work out between high school and my job, but I do love PT sessions at my RSS. :)

JasonWalters23
11-13-10, 05:08 PM
Ran the IST on my own today with a personal best at pullups I finally hit the 40 mark ran 8:54 1.5 mile and stayed about the same with 114 situps

RBrouse
11-14-10, 01:37 PM
for our poolee function we did somthing special so we only had time to do our pull ups I got 8 which is a personal best. but also one thing that happened to me that was kindof embarassing but hugely motivational was one of our recruiters called me up infront of a bunch of poolees and started talking about our saturday morrning workouts and how many people wernt showing up then he looks at me and says "poolee Brouse here has shown up to every workout sence he first got in the DEP and when he first got here he couldn't do one pull up now how many did you do today?" I told him 8 he continued "8, 8 pull ups today thats out-****in-standing, and how long have you been in?" almost two months I replied "He has improved his pull ups in an astonishingly short time and I've seen here that some of you guys who have been with us for more than six months and havn't even improved with a single pull up. even if you can do 20 pull ups when you first started and havnt improved at all I would say this poolee will do better in bootcamp than you ever will"

DudefromDiego
11-14-10, 03:56 PM
First IST (August 2010)

Pull Ups= 0
1.5 Mile run= 16 Minutes roughly
Crunches= 63

Second IST (Novermber 2010)

Pull ups= 10
1.5 Mile run= 10 Minutes, 52 seconds
Crunches= 76

Still not in the best shape, but going to our weekly pool functions is starting to pay off. We did the "Death Run":no: yesterday, which is a 4 mile run through tecolote canyon and we had to carry a 30 lb ammo can while scaling hills so steep you had to hang onto a branch of some sort, or risk rolling into the afterlife. Great confidence builder though.:thumbup:

phil d
11-14-10, 08:45 PM
i ran my first ist yesterday.

Pull ups: 7
Crunches: 68
1.5 Mile: 12:58

Andrew Jackson
11-15-10, 01:07 AM
First IST (August 2010)

Pull Ups= 0
1.5 Mile run= 16 Minutes roughly
Crunches= 63

Second IST (Novermber 2010)

Pull ups= 10
1.5 Mile run= 10 Minutes, 52 seconds
Crunches= 76

Still not in the best shape, but going to our weekly pool functions is starting to pay off. We did the "Death Run":no: yesterday, which is a 4 mile run through tecolote canyon and we had to carry a 30 lb ammo can while scaling hills so steep you had to hang onto a branch of some sort, or risk rolling into the afterlife. Great confidence builder though.:thumbup:

dude! ....okay well it seems your pt beats my pt by like leaps and bounds if people could die at yours!

calebh180
11-20-10, 04:29 PM
first ist last month (next ist dec 4th):
pullups: 18
crunches: 55 (yea i kno it sucks but i didnt start doin crunches until that embarassing day)
run: 13:sumthin

Animal89
11-20-10, 10:59 PM
I have never taken an IST, but on my PFT
Pullups: 10
Crunches:85
run: 22:45 3mile
I need improvement, but I'm getting better.

Davemercd
11-21-10, 06:02 PM
As of 20101120

Situps: 90
Run: 13:50

lake9
11-21-10, 07:44 PM
most recent:

Crunches: 95
Run: 10:51 (cramped up bad that day. i normally get 9:51-10:20ish area.)

chrawarren
11-21-10, 08:33 PM
Pull ups: 16
Crunches: 95
Run: 12:09 (used to be 11:30 and still horrible, now it's just worse.)

jeonpaolo
11-25-10, 01:00 AM
FIRST IST (July 2010)

1.5 Run: 16 Mins
Chrunches: 45 in 2 Mikes

CURRENT IST (November 2010)

1.5 Run: 10:53
Pullups: 13
Chrunches: 89 in 2 Mikes

And I dont ship until July :D

tDubb90
11-28-10, 11:15 PM
Ht: 5'9"
Wt: 140

First PFT
Pull-ups: 19
Crunches: 92
Run: 20:01

Current PFT
Pull-ups: 20
Crunches: 98
Run: 19:21

My main goals before OCS are to get my run time down and hopefully bulk up about 10-15 lbs. ;)

sdkmcqueen
11-29-10, 01:32 PM
First IST:
pull ups: 3
crunches: 68
1.5 mile run: 15 mins
Weight:228

Last IST:
pull ups:7
crunches: 75
1.5 mile run: 12:59
Weight: 204

Still plenty of room for improvement, but I have some time.

calebh180
12-08-10, 05:57 AM
My current IST is posted in my signature

Vise
12-08-10, 09:19 AM
Pull Ups-23
Crunches-72
Run-11:41

calebh180
12-08-10, 03:29 PM
Pull Ups-23
Crunches-72
Run-11:41

thats good, i need to work on my crunches and run time badly :(

PARKER93
12-08-10, 03:32 PM
This doesn't apply to the ist but I just ran my first marathon and it took me 4 hours and 30 minutes. Not a great time but just finishing was very motivational.

calebh180
12-08-10, 03:44 PM
This doesn't apply to the ist but I just ran my first marathon and it took me 4 hours and 30 minutes. Not a great time but just finishing was very motivational.

Hell Yea! I dont think i would live to see the end of a marathon in my current condition haha.

luis2787
12-08-10, 03:57 PM
Hell Yea! I dont think i would live to see the end of a marathon in my current condition haha.
for running man honestly run 3 miles twice a day and once each week time your mile and a half and you will see a huge improvement.

calebh180
12-08-10, 04:21 PM
for running man honestly run 3 miles twice a day and once each week time your mile and a half and you will see a huge improvement.

I could try running 3 miles a day but I dont really think im to that point to where i could run that much everyday. Im gonna start out with 2 then gradually work my way up. thanks for the advice

chrawarren
12-08-10, 07:10 PM
As of Today.

19 Pull Ups (best ever)
100 Crunches (best ever)
11:17 1.5 Mile Run (bad but still best ever)

Improvement all across the board.

Ship out Monday.

Wish me luck.

luis2787
12-08-10, 11:15 PM
I could try running 3 miles a day but I dont really think im to that point to where i could run that much everyday. Im gonna start out with 2 then gradually work my way up. thanks for the advice
np my stats are old on here i got my function on Saturday i am gonna try to aim for a 11 min mile and half.

dotKev
12-11-10, 06:21 PM
Just took my second IST today, and I'm happy with it considering my progress with our RSS's PT functions during the week.

Pull-ups: 5 (same as last month, but I'm working at it)
Crunches: 48 (getting better!)
1.5 Mile Run: 11:17 (worse than last month, but I blame the cold temps over here in North Jersey :P)

We also took the CFT, which I did for the first time, and got 2:10, and landed the grenade in the designated area, so that landed me 2:05. Gotta say, I was really happy with that time. CFT is brutal by itself though, those ammo cans wear you out big time.

I know I'm certainly not the strongest person around, but I'm pretty damn happy with myself so far. I have a lot of time until I ship (August 8th of next year), been in the pool since October, so I just gotta keep at the PT! Stay motivated, fellow poolees!

PooleeKing
12-11-10, 06:26 PM
Update: 20101211

Pull-ups:15
Crunches: 102
1/5 Mile Run: 8:11

Ship: 20110110

PARKER93
12-11-10, 08:23 PM
Took another IST today. Still recovering from marathon so my run wasn't that great.

Pullups 22
Crunches 160
1.5 mile 9:10

emptyjarhead
12-16-10, 07:27 PM
First IST
Pullups: 13
1.5 mile: 12.47

Latest IST
Pullups: 21
Crunches: 114
1.5 mile: 10:52

My latest PFT is my signature. I usually get 22 minutes and some change but Im blaming 15 degrees plus cross winds. Not an excuse, just a reason. I can do better. I WILL do better.

zacsanders
12-18-10, 12:00 AM
IST-
Pull-Ups: 14
Crunches: 117
Run: 10:24

PFT run: 21:58

RebeccaMorris
12-24-10, 07:44 PM
shipping ist

fah: 73
crunches: 83
1.5: 10:14

ship date: 20110103

Crunches are my weak spot. The fah was hilarious. I was up there for 20+ seconds and a female Marine comes by banging me with a water bottle saying; " No no no you cant do that; drop your legs." So I drop my legs while still hanging. Then she says " now bring them up to here." Then about 30 seconds later my Ssgt. says 15 seconds. Once I got to 73 they said to get down.
So ladies just a note on the fah you can not bring your legs above your hips.

calebh180
01-08-11, 12:23 PM
Pullups: 5 (we werent aloud to max out, the GYSgt. said all he wanted to see is 5 i probly coulda did around 25 if we maxed)
1/5 Mile: 12:44

Hopper3600
01-08-11, 04:46 PM
IST-
Pull ups 10
Crunches 100
1/5 mile 10:36

dotKev
01-09-11, 01:18 PM

We didn't run because of the snow/ice outside here in NJ, unfortunately.

Hopper3600
01-09-11, 02:38 PM
Were getting snow tomorrow, thats going to suck FML

jwc1993
02-02-11, 01:41 AM
First IST
pull ups- 1
crunches- 47
1.5 mile run- 11:34

Last IST
pull ups- 3
crunches- 75
1.5 mile run- 10:01

ImpatientPoolee
02-09-11, 07:36 PM
coool.

1st IST:
69 crunches
6 pull-ups
11:49 1.5 mile

Latest IST:
125 crunches
15 pull-ups
9:30 1.5 mile

AlexJH
02-09-11, 07:46 PM
Pullups: 7

"aye der applicant I know for a fact that Marines don't bend their knees to do pull ups, straight them legs most quickly"

"aye aye sir"

"LOCK YO ARMS!"

"but sir, I'm 6'1" my legs will-"

"DO IT NOW!"

"aye aye sir"

*feet drag on the ground*

"GET OFF MAH BAR APPLICANT!"

FML.

Crunches, like 65, we didn't run, pretty sure he only counted half of them because apparently holding the middle of my bicep and holding my lower bicep matters, even though it actually makes it HARDER for me to touch the meaty part of my arms to my legs the way I was doing them..

DudefromDiego
02-13-11, 09:09 PM
Well, here it goes:

August 2010:
Height: 5'9, Weight 184
1.5 Mile Run: DNF:!:
Pull ups: 0.5 (exactly how, I'll never know)
Crunches: 65

February 2011:
Height: 5'10, Weight 168
1.5 Mile Run: 11:47
Pull ups:11
Crunches: 84

Not a world of improvement, but I can safely say that I was completely useless when I DEP'ed in, and now have a little bit of value :yes:

calebh180
02-13-11, 10:17 PM
We played flag football and did a moto run. Just got a perfect pullup bar and cant wait til next month to see how much I improve from it.

Languagelover23
02-13-11, 11:43 PM
Ok seriously, I'm good on my FAH and crunches, those were easy to shape up. But my run sucks!!! Any tips fellow poolees?

ImpatientPoolee
02-14-11, 12:17 AM
The only way you're going to get better at running is if you're out there running everyday. That's not rocket science.

calebh180
02-14-11, 05:56 AM
The only way you're going to get better at running is if you're out there running everyday. That's not rocket science.
Yup

Odysseus32
02-14-11, 12:19 PM
First IST (January 2011)
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 189 lbs
Pull-ups: 10
Run Time: 10:59

Most Recent IST (February 2011)
Weight: 175 lbs
Pull-ups: 12
Crunches: 79
Run Time: 10:16

Much improvement on my run time. Two of my pull-ups were not counted and I suck at crunches.

We have another pool function before I leave and I am hoping to get

Weight: 171-173 lbs
Pull-ups: 15
Crunches: 85
Run Time: 9:50

I will be very happy with those results. Then from there I will work on it some more and hopefully be near perfect when boot camp rolls around.

Ship Date: 20110307
MOS: 0331 Machine Gunner

dotKev
02-15-11, 07:07 PM

We didn't run because of the snow/ice outside here in NJ, unfortunately.

As compared to last month:

Crunches: 63
1.5 Run: 10:01

Stay motivated folks.

PARKER93
02-15-11, 07:46 PM
This month:
26 pullups
134 crunches
1.5 mile- 9:14

irpwns
02-15-11, 09:39 PM
What are the actual score ratings for IST? You just take the 3mile score and cut it in half?

PooleeGewarges
02-17-11, 05:00 PM
We had an UNEXPECTED IST today at my station.

Pullups- 19
Crunches- 120
1.5- 12:26

My run was HORRIBLE today compared to my last 10 minute 1.5 mile run. The problem was that I ran already at my advanced conditioning class today at school, and I also ran to the station and my station is abou 1.5 miles away. Put that together and you get a disgusting 12:26. Hopefully next time is a charm.

shadox
02-17-11, 10:05 PM
yeah we just had a ist today as well

18 pullups (new max)
185 crunches (highest in pool, was super proud of that)
and my run was also terrible, 12:32

PooleeGewarges
02-18-11, 05:16 AM
yeah we just had a ist today as well

18 pullups (new max)
185 crunches (highest in pool, was super proud of that)
and my run was also terrible, 12:32

Your a turbo cruncher. Insane, how do you train to get that many crunches? I always get stuck in at least 120 or 135. I want to atleast beat the 163 record in our station.

calebh180
02-18-11, 06:38 PM
I just got a phone call from my recruiter. He said that people were gettin discharged at boot for runnin thier mouth or they cant pass phyisically so we have an IST at 8:00 and he said they are...

Taviah
02-18-11, 06:57 PM
I screwed up my shoulders and hurt my knee so my recruiter told me I have to stay in a padded cell until boot camp. No more of any PT. I will most definitely atrophy until my ship date but it is better than damaging myself more or slowing my heal time before boot camp. I am going on a more strict diet and taking plenty of vitamins to at least drop any excess fat I have so that muscle loss isn't going to be too bad.

calebh180
02-18-11, 08:02 PM
WHAT? No PT before boot camp? that dont sound too good man

Taviah
02-19-11, 12:42 AM
Yeah, I agree, but it sounds better than going to boot camp then getting sent home.

DudefromDiego
02-19-11, 12:50 AM
Can they do that?

Odysseus32
02-19-11, 01:28 PM
Very disappointed.

Had a pool function today. Only got 9 Pull-ups. The guy didn't count 4. I was stuck on 5 for about 3 pull-ups for not dropping all the way down. I was as close as you could get to locked out without being locked out according to some other poolees.

Did crunches and got 77. I was pretty ****ed at this point so I was like **** it.

Got to the run and I my mood changed a bit so I decided to actually run and not just settle for less. I finished first in our pool with a time of 10:16.

Good news is I got the 7day IST before boot camp to get better results.

soon2bMarine10
02-28-11, 10:52 PM
January IST:
22 pull ups
120 crunches
9:30 1.5 Mile run

Feb. IST
24 pull ups (3 didnt count)
121 crunches
9:20 1.5 mile run

RIPPERX84
03-01-11, 12:47 PM
Random note: We have a guy at our Station that ran the 1.5 in 8:06 at our last function. How ridiculous is that? Anyhow, 49 days and counting....

ImpatientPoolee
03-01-11, 01:56 PM
Random note: We have a guy at our Station that ran the 1.5 in 8:06 at our last function. How ridiculous is that? Anyhow, 49 days and counting....

yeaa haha, we had some little mexican kid run a 7:35 1.5 mile...he was literally sprinting the entire time.

well I'm doing good guys, got 28 days to ship and I've been taking a different approach to fitness. instead of running my usual long-distance I'm changing it up with 1-2 mile "fast" runs followed by 1 mile of alternating wind-sprints/walking. my knees have started to hurt so for now I'm just going to stick to that and lay-off the 4-5 miles of slow jogging.

IST as of 1 week ago:
16 pull-ups
119 crunches
10:20 1.5 mile

****ty.

Tbrown10
03-01-11, 02:37 PM
any advice on how you got your 1.5 Mile time so low? i do mine in around 13 minutes now,

luis2787
03-01-11, 03:19 PM
any advice on how you got your 1.5 Mile time so low? i do mine in around 13 minutes now,

run everyday and try to beat your time thats what i did and it works.

ImpatientPoolee
03-01-11, 03:54 PM
Well if you wanna get your short distance runs down, you gotta work on short distances. Go out there and start busting your ass on the 1.5 mile. You do it long enough then right off the gun you'll be moving at a damn fast pace, and you'll keep that up the whole 1.5 miles.

I reckon the more your work on the 1.5-2mile, then the better your 3 mile will get. Going out everyday and running 3-4 miles is good to get you conditioned, and to lose weight...but it's not good for performance necessarily. Help me with some insight if need-be Poolees.

dotKev
03-05-11, 03:31 PM
As compared to last month:

Crunches: 63
1.5 Run: 10:01

Stay motivated folks.
This month:

Pull-ups: 9
Crunches: 72
1.5 Run: 10:30

Also did the CFT, in which I got 92 ammo can lifts in 2 minutes, and my time for the event was 2:25. :thumbup:

seanb
03-05-11, 04:47 PM
ist
1.5 run 10:35
pull ups 15
99 crunchs

PooleeGewarges
03-05-11, 06:14 PM
I finally hit over 20 pullups today, 22. Good enough, but I'm still striving to reach 30.

My crunches are still around 120-135 and I want to increase those too. Any suggestions to increase my crunches fellow poolees?

I have yet to see my current 1.5 mile time which I should see by next week or month.

phil d
03-05-11, 06:21 PM
This month:

Also did the CFT, in which I got 92 ammo can lifts in 2 minutes, and my time for the event was 2:25. :thumbup:
Nice. I heard the CFT was pretty hard but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Oh and I saw your ship date, I'm leaving on 08/08 too bro.

IST
Pullups: 8
Crunches: 100
1.5 Mile: 12:04

dotKev
03-05-11, 08:08 PM
Good stuff man, see you on the Island. And the CFT is difficult, but it's also a ton of fun. Check out some videos of it on YouTube.

ImpatientPoolee
03-05-11, 08:39 PM
Good stuff man, see you on the Island. And the CFT is difficult, but it's also a ton of fun. Check out some videos of it on YouTube.

Fun?! You must be high. The CFT SUCKS!!!

phil d
03-05-11, 08:59 PM
for sure

calebh180
03-06-11, 01:58 PM
The CFT is awsome! I love it.. its so motivating

dotKev
03-06-11, 05:01 PM
Fun?! You must be high. The CFT SUCKS!!!

Hahaha nah man I mean sure you feel like **** once you pass the fireman carry but like calebh said, it's too damn motivating to hate.

calebh180
03-06-11, 05:29 PM
i got a 1:46 on my cft :)

ImpatientPoolee
03-06-11, 11:27 PM
Well he didn't say it wasn't MOTIVATING he said it was FUN. Lol, sure, it's motivating...but when you're sprinting those ammo cans 140 yards at the time you're like "ahh, ****!"

yah I did it for the first time 3 weeks ago and got a 2:35...not bad for my first time I suppose.

calebh180
03-07-11, 10:28 PM
yea I said it was FUN!! I love the CFT :)

ImpatientPoolee
03-07-11, 11:36 PM
^
delusional.

:P

C_Squash_D
03-08-11, 07:41 PM
1st IST (4 months ago):
0 Pull-Ups
90 crunches
~14:00 1.5 mile run

Current IST:
9 Pull-Ups
~90 crunches
12:19 1.5 mile run

My current 5K time is 21:25 (ran it yesterday).

calebh180
03-08-11, 07:41 PM
my current IST
25 pullups
76 crunches
crappy run, I cant even remember the time but it sucked

PooleeGewarges
03-08-11, 08:16 PM
Did a partial ISt today, couldnt actually do a timed run but sort of run behidn everyone and make sure no one walks or slows down.

Pullups - 23
Crunches - 140

Kentuckygrl11
03-15-11, 11:20 AM
1.5 Mi run - 13:05
FAH - 70 sec
Sit ups - 85

Batbomb9
03-28-11, 04:20 AM
1st IST
14 pull ups
8:06 1-1/2 mile run
57 Crunches

Latest IST
17 pull ups
7:56 1-1/2 mile run
80 Crunches

SarahDawnSmith1
03-28-11, 10:52 AM
IST Score (Current)

Crunches-85
Flex Arm- 65 seconds
1.5 run- 11:32
I'm shooting for perfect score, I have 4 months to prepare!
Any advice? :)

Batbomb9
03-28-11, 08:28 PM
IST Score (Current)
Crunches-85
Flex Arm- 65 seconds
1.5 run- 11:32
I'm shooting for perfect score, I have 4 months to prepare!
Any advice?

Run 6 out of 7 days out of the week. For flex arm
Do negatives which is your flex arm hang and slowly coming down. If you can go to a gym I would recommend lat pull down with your own body weight. Usually running would increase your core but I would suggest maxing out on crunches every other day. Don't skip breakfast, eat well, and hydrate

fknsinclair
03-29-11, 05:20 PM
flexed arm hang: 62 sec
crunches:92
1.5 mile run: 13:30
not proud of my running but I WILL get better.

PooleeGewarges2
03-31-11, 10:05 PM
Our recruiting station conducted an IST today.

Current IST:
13 Pullups
95 Crunches
9:45 1.5 mile run

I am trying so hard on getting more than 100 crunches. I am just five away from a perfect score. As for the pull ups, I am stuck on 12-13 every time. I WILL get to 20, if not, something close to it like 17 or 18. As for my 1.5 running time, It keeps going down which is great. Went from 10:30 to 10:11 and now to 9:45. I WILL get my running time somewhere in the 8 minute mark.

Honcho1010
03-31-11, 11:40 PM
^Good luck with the run time. I had the worst run time when i first started and its dropping amazingly fast.

No need to bore you guys with old stats, Poolee Function this Saturday and ill update with the latest!

PooleeGewarges
04-01-11, 06:13 AM
The IST with my bro yesterday had me going:

19 pullups
130 crunches
10:38 1.5 mile run.

Not the best pullups and crunches, but my run time went down from 11:00 flat. Never quit!:iwo:

Honcho1010
04-01-11, 12:09 PM
Any good workouts that will help with pull-ups? I'm only at 8, well as of my last Poolee Function.

PooleeGewarges
04-01-11, 05:05 PM
Any good workouts that will help with pull-ups? I'm only at 8, well as of my last Poolee Function.

Barbell or dumbbell rows, some lat pulldowns, and best of all do some negatives on pullups. Next time you are doing pullups, grab a chair, boost yourself up until your chin is above the bar, then slowly go down. Repeat this many times until you arms are dead.

Doing negatives really helped this poolee get 25 pullups.
Pyramid workouts are great too. Hope this helped.

Honcho1010
04-02-11, 03:05 PM
Pull-ups- 7
Crunches- 83
1.5 Mile Run- 13:13

Im getting there, last Poolee Function was a lot worse. It went great today.

Batbomb9
04-02-11, 11:16 PM
I dropped my mile time to 5:13. So my one and a half mile should be a good 7:40 and my 3 mile 18:00 or under. I leave for bootcamp in June. Hopefully I get to be a squad leader and get promoted after bootcamp

AmericanIdol
04-03-11, 06:31 AM
First IST: January
Pull ups: 0 (Spent this time puking from the run)
Run time: 11:45
Crunches: 46

My next IST saw some improvement, but there was some regression due to improper nutrition and poor work out habits. However, I am pleased to announce my latest IST results.

Latest IST:
Run time: 11:00
Crunches: 78

Before I'm done I'd like to hit 20+ Pull ups, under 10:00 run time and 120+ crunches.

PooleeGewarges
04-03-11, 08:29 AM
First IST: January
Pull ups: 0 (Spent this time puking from the run)
Run time: 11:45
Crunches: 46

My next IST saw some improvement, but there was some regression due to improper nutrition and poor work out habits. However, I am pleased to announce my latest IST results.

Latest IST:
Run time: 11:00
Crunches: 78

Before I'm done I'd like to hit 20+ Pull ups, under 10:00 run time and 120+ crunches.

The only way to get more pullups is to do more pullups. For crunches, do 100 at your own pace everyday OR do 3 sets of 50 fast crunches. Go as fast as you can with good form.

Tbrown10
04-03-11, 12:44 PM
i also do weighted crunches and pull ups..like 3 sets of max pull ups with a 10 lb weight..then the same wihout weight.

dotKev
04-09-11, 01:29 PM
This month:

For April:

Pull-ups: 10 (!!! FINALLY!)
Crunches: 77
1.5 Run: 9:45

Love it.

Honcho1010
04-09-11, 04:43 PM
Shoulder press works great for ammo can lifts. Before ever doing them I was shoulder pressing 95-115. I pushed out 75 lifts easy, didn't even feel anything until then...

green333
04-09-11, 07:38 PM
last ist which was last week was : pull ups 19 crunches 135 1.5 run 9:45

robbyj
04-09-11, 10:45 PM
First IST (january)
Run: 13:21
Crunches:58
Pullups:6

Last IST (March)
Run: 11:30
Crunches: 103
Pullups 17

cato
04-12-11, 08:32 AM
1st IST in DEP.
Run: 12min
Crunches:110

Yesterdays IST:April 11 2011
Run:10:30
Pull ups: 26
Crunches: 163

PooleeGewarges
04-12-11, 08:48 PM
1st IST in DEP.
Run: 12min
Crunches:110

Yesterdays IST:April 11 2011
Run:10:30
Pull ups: 26
Crunches: 163

You currently hold my stations record for the number of crunches. Good IST overall.

Poole76
04-13-11, 02:18 PM
First IST 201012xx
1.5 mile 15:45
Crunches 37
pull ups 1

Last IST 20110318
1.5 mile 13:54
crunches 58
pull ups 3

I did alot better after i got my act together and started working out and especially after working on my cardio definitley keep pushing until i ship

RBrouse
04-13-11, 02:52 PM
I did my Official IST today
1.5mile:12:10
crunches:67
Pull ups:6
I'm getting ready to ship 20110502

Honcho1010
04-13-11, 02:56 PM
Ist improving. Looking forward to my next Poolee Function. Did 8 pull ups at PT Monday. Up from 6-7.

achilles097
04-13-11, 03:02 PM
I did my Official IST today
1.5mile:12:10
crunches:67
Pull ups:6
I'm getting ready to ship 20110502

I don't mean this in a bad way, but are you seriously okay with those numbers? I have several buddies in a victor unit and they all say anything less than a solid 1st class PFT is grounds for countless hazing in the Infantry.. and I don't normally say this.. but you are a little over two weeks from your ship date...

Honcho1010
04-13-11, 08:37 PM
and before you spaz out we are only looking out for you man. You should really jump in on the running. I mean sprints day and night. Showing drastic improvements for me...

RBrouse
04-14-11, 03:03 PM
no I would love to be at what I was a few months ago, these numbers are a lot lower than from what my best was. but I'm just coming off an injury where it was very ify that I would even still be eligible and from when I started working out again I was at 0 pull ups and about 30 crunches and and I was just able to start working out again a two weeks ago. I'm doing three work outs a day 2 with my recruiter one by myself and going from not being able to do a single pull up to passing my IST I'm ok with that, I've been improving remarkably fast and I don't think I'll get back to my best before boot camp but at least I'm back to being good enough to go.

and honcho I don't really care what people think about me. and as for the running I know its slow everybody at my RS lost time this last winter its hard to run in three feet of snow lol but I am doing that now every morning I do sprints with my recruiter and I run three miles by myself every night I may not be strong or fast but I'm trying

Derreck
04-14-11, 11:16 PM
Fist IST
1 1/2 mile run- 14:32
Crunchs- 61
Pull ups- 4

Last IST
1 1/2 mile run- 11:31
Crunchs- 96
Pull ups- 15
(and that was after pt for 4 days straight)

tlk2u8r
04-15-11, 07:26 AM
First Ist :
1 1/2 mile run : 11:53
Crunches : 87
pull ups : 10

Lastest Ist :
1 1/2 miles run : 9:45
Crunches : 105
Pull ups : 18

calebh180
04-15-11, 06:40 PM
Pullups: 24 ( I did 29 the other day though)
Crunches: 50 :/
1.5 mile: 10:42

Honcho1010
04-15-11, 07:17 PM
24 pull ups but only 50 crunches? What gives?

Derreck
04-15-11, 07:52 PM

I guess I'll just say it but you guys have beastly PT scores hope they are real.. If so keep up the good work.. Just to let everyone else know this isn't to boast or lie etc it's to post real scores to get help etc. Again good job keep up the work.

Honcho1010
04-15-11, 09:34 PM
Im wondering how he has enough core strength to do 29 pulls ups and only push out 50 crunches....

latest scores :

Pull Ups- 9
Sit-ups- 86
1.5 Mile- 13:13

My run is so bad being that i ran in the heat after a long day and no food. I feel a lot better while running though, i can definitely see improvement.

achilles097
04-15-11, 09:52 PM
I guess I'll just say it but you guys have beastly PT scores hope they are real.. If so keep up the good work.. Just to let everyone else know this isn't to boast or lie etc it's to post real scores to get help etc. Again good job keep up the work.

I read this thread with a grain of salt.

Honcho1010
04-15-11, 10:22 PM
The same goes for the ASVAB thread. I don't understand it...

Derreck
04-15-11, 10:37 PM
Im wondering how he has enough core strength to do 29 pulls ups and only push out 50 crunches....

latest scores :

Pull Ups- 9
Sit-ups- 86
1.5 Mile- 13:13

My run is so bad being that i ran in the heat after a long day and no food. I feel a lot better while running though, i can definitely see improvement.

You still got time to work on it. Pull ups are the money makers on the pft worth 5 pts each so hit them hard :) good luck stay motivated and drive out to baton rouge and work with us one day.. It's a long drive but it'll ve worth it when you see our pt workouts.. I was only able to get 4 "ugly" pull ups before now I can get around 15 great form in just a few months.. motivation is the fuel

calebh180
04-16-11, 07:37 AM
Yeah unfortnuately that is my real ist score, I havent been doing crunches alot and we had to do them slightly uphill for some dumb reason. Pullups are my main workout, i have 3 pullup bars in my house and i do them all the time, but this month im going to do my best to get my crunches up to 100

calebh180
04-16-11, 07:41 AM
I am capable of doing more, i just slacked alot on crunches last month.. and i only weight about 140 so pullups are slightly easier for me.

Honcho1010
04-16-11, 12:16 PM
You still got time to work on it. Pull ups are the money makers on the pft worth 5 pts each so hit them hard :) good luck stay motivated and drive out to baton rouge and work with us one day.. It's a long drive but it'll ve worth it when you see our pt workouts.. I was only able to get 4 "ugly" pull ups before now I can get around 15 great form in just a few months.. motivation is the fuel

Definitely man, i want to go up there a few times before my Poolee validation in September. Slidell isnt that far, about an hours drive.

As far as the pull ups i honestly didnt do them before i DEPed. I started at 6 and im slowing working my way up. its a long way til October so i do have plenty of time. Still, im trying to train like i ship next month.

ajvigs
04-17-11, 09:34 AM
Had my final IST before I ship in 3 weeks yesterday. IDK what happened but I ran a 9:37 mile and a half, 10 pullups, and my usual 100 crunches. I weighed in at 202 though (i had a bit to drink the night before which I shouldnt have done) but still I dont think I have ever run that d*** fast.

Derreck
04-17-11, 11:42 AM
Had my final IST before I ship in 3 weeks yesterday. IDK what happened but I ran a 9:37 mile and a half, 10 pullups, and my usual 100 crunches. I weighed in at 202 though (i had a bit to drink the night before which I shouldnt have done) but still I dont think I have ever run that d*** fast.

Good job man I take mine this sat. I'm excited man especially since we gonna be buddies at bootcamp May 9th is when our journey begins!

Redmond18
04-17-11, 10:40 PM
First IST 3 Weeks ago

1.5 Mile - 12:47
Crunches - 82
Pullups - 5

robbyj
04-17-11, 10:42 PM
First IST 3 Weeks ago

1.5 Mile - 12:47
Crunches - 82
Pullups - 5

Good job, you did alot better than my first IST.

Make sure your working out on your own along with going to PT at your recruiters, you will see your results greatly improve within a couple weeks.

Honcho1010
04-18-11, 01:44 PM

Nice man. i'm sure validation has a great atmosphere. Everyone is pushing for their best time to impress the Marine spectators.

Batbomb9
04-19-11, 08:19 AM
Pullups: 24 ( I did 29 the other day though)
Crunches: 50 :/
1.5 mile: 10:42
dude we leave the same date for boot camp

dhblue
04-19-11, 12:15 PM
the first ist i did after i swore in which was in june 2010 if i can remember correctly was 1.5 mile run-10:00 pull ups-15 crunches 110 i think thats about right but it has been a while so it might be a little off. my most recent ist was 1.5 mile run-9:42 pull ups-19 crunches-138

Honcho1010
04-19-11, 12:47 PM
Got my 1.5 mile below 13 minutes. It was after sun down so not much heat.

Vise
04-19-11, 12:50 PM
Current

Pull-Ups: 21
Crunches: 58
1.5 Mile: 11:10

Honcho1010
04-19-11, 12:53 PM
Why do you guys suck so bad with crunches? haha. Only people i know with anything less than 60 in 2 minutes are those with a guy..

calebh180
04-19-11, 08:25 PM
Why do you guys suck so bad with crunches? haha. Only people i know with anything less than 60 in 2 minutes are those with a guy..
LOL I dont even know why I sucked so bad last month, I did almost 70 last IST. I have a 6 pack too haha