PDA

View Full Version : Went Theatre hoping

Sparrowhawk
09-28-03, 12:02 AM
Theatre hoping spend over $60.00 in movie tickets and snacks...

Saturday we went theater hoping saw three flicks and spend a bundle on snacks and cokes.

We saw Under the Tuscan Sun

A woman starts her life over with a new home in a new land in this romantic comedy drama . Frances (Diane Lane) is a writer in her mid-'30s who feels emotionally derailed after her divorce.

Unhappy and unable to write, she isn't sure what to do with her life, and her best friend Patti (Sandra Oh) decides she needs some time away from her problems. With that in mind, Patti gives Frances a ticket for a two-week tour of the Tuscany region of Italy; while there, Frances finds a dilapidated old villa. Charmed by the warmth, beauty, and charm of the small town of Cortona, Frances impulsively decides to buy the villa, thinking she can fix it up herself. The home proves to be more of a handyman's special than she imagined, but as she slowly gets the hang of household maintenance, Italian style, Frances develops a new confidence as she makes friends with her neighbors and finds love with a handsome local named Marcello (Raoul Bova). Under the Tuscan Sun is loosely adapted from the memoir by Frances Mayes, who (unlike the leading character of the film) remained happily married during her sojourn in Tuscany. ~ Mark Deming, All Movie Guide

http://entimg.msn.com/i/gal/tuscansun_gal/underthetuscansun_75x75.jpg

Secondhand Lions

Was a great film, laughed out loud, which sometimes I think I embarrassed my wife, and daughters, but the flick is worth seeing, I recommend it.

http://entimg.msn.com/i/gal/secondhandlions_stills/secondhandlions_0355_300x435.jpg

In this family-friendly comedy drama, Walter (Haley Joel Osment) is a shy and bookish boy just short of his teens whose mother impulsively decides to leave him for the summer with his eccentric grand-uncles, Hub (Robert Duvall) and Garth (Michael Caine). Walter isn't especially happy about being left in the middle of Texas with two old men, while Hub and Garth aren't too pleased to be stuck minding a boy, especially one who isn't accustomed to hunting, fishing, or firearms. When Walter starts hearing local gossip about his uncles' wild and wooly pasts, he begins asking a few questions, and while Hub and Garth don't enjoy having the boy poking into their pasts, as they start telling tales of their youthful adventures, they find themselves itching for some new adventures in their lives. Soon Walter is a semi-willing accomplice as his elderly guardians rediscover the wild, impulsive spirit of youth. Secondhand Lions was produced in part by the well-respected visual effects house Digital Domain, who also helped create the imagery for the film's flashback sequences. ~ Mark Deming, All Movie Guide

Sparrowhawk
09-28-03, 12:03 AM
Saw “the Rundown”, an enjoyable flick, lots of shooting and fight scenes. It was an enjoyable some of the scenes we as Marines would appreciate.

Laughed a lot during the show..

http://entimg.msn.com/i/gal/rundown_stills/rundown_6_300x435.jpg

http://entimg.msn.com/i/gal/rundown_stills/rundown_3_300x435.jpg

In the always rough, have-to-be tough urban jungle of Los Angeles, there are men like Beck...well, not exactly like Beck--a man who uses whatever means are necessary to retrieve whatever he is paid to bring back. A marker, a late payment or a Super Bowl ring from a quarterback with gambling debts--Beck doesn't differentiate and simply relies on his wits, his "let's get this over with" attitude and his devastating physical prowess to get the job done.

For him, it's a simple, multiple-choice world: (A) Beck's way, (B) Beck's way with force, or (C)... there is no "C." Beck doesn't go looking for trouble, and he doesn't like making trouble for anyone, either.

Unfortunately, trouble is what he's hired to clean up, and there's one final mess he's got to get out of before he can leave it all behind. At the center of his current trouble is a wise-ass named Travis, a fast-talking double dealer whose dad has commissioned Beck to retrieve from a lingering adventure in Brazil.

Travis proves to be more of a handful than Beck expected, not only because of his mouth and his heels-dug-in reluctance to leave, but because of a couple of other complications he brings with him: Mariana, a no-nonsense local who holds the answers to some of the jungle's hidden mysteries, and Hatcher, an unhinged despot who has turned the jungle and its inhabitants into his own fortune-making, gold-mining empire.

The rundown: Beck is after a guy... who's after a fortune... and now everybody's after them. So he's going to have to unleash everything he's got to keep on top of his smack-talking quarry, the girl with the secret, the crazy tyrant, the horny monkeys, the hallucinogenic fruit, the backs-to-the-wall rebels, the perilous terrain, the hidden traps and every other obstacle that this jungle throws at him.

Barrio_rat
09-28-03, 03:43 AM
I think I'll still wait for the video/dvd/ppv before I see any of 'em. 60 bucks? 3.99 and I get to watch it as many times as I want - and I don't have to rub elbows with some dork or listen to someones endless chatter during the movie - okay, I get the last one at home, but at least I can wait until the womens are in bed to watch it and enjoy it by myself... with a beer.

Thanks for the reviews Sparrowhawk!

Devildogg4ever
09-28-03, 04:16 AM
Good reviews, Sparrowhawk!! I'm like Barrio_rat when it comes to going to the movies! Rather wait til it comes out on DVD. What I like is, your reviews are better then I have seen anywhere else! Wife and I are very picky of what we watch, due to alot of movies being over-rated. So, keep up the good work on these reviews, comes in handy!!