PDA

View Full Version : Lateral Move to infantry?

BIGdreams
10-04-10, 10:02 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever made or desired to make a lateral move to infantry. My recruiter submitted for an Aircraft maintenance MOS for me but say I get bored fixing planes and I want to kill bodies, whats the likely hood of getting the opportunity to go form POG to grunt?

Capital M
10-04-10, 10:43 PM
Your saying you want to spend a year in mos school learning the ins and outs of an aircraft, go to the fleet, pick up corporal or something, and then all of a sudden drop the wrench and pick up a...

josephd
10-04-10, 11:11 PM
its possible but why anyone would want to do this is beyond me..??...

BIGdreams
10-04-10, 11:24 PM
Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. It might sound crazy when you look at from either a POG or grunt point of view but infantry does hold some intrest fro me.
But don't get me wrong, I love fixing ****, and what better to fix than Aircraft. I also did think about that fact that I would probably get promoted faster than infantry and if i transfered i would be a higher rank with the same amount of years. BUT this was just a question out of curiosity, not saying i would actually switch. as for why i didn't choose infantry form the start, well 1st my fam wouldnt be too happy (they already dont like that i changed my mind form AF to MC) 2nd my mechanical affinity would be wasted as a grunt. not to mention theres no jobs shooting m16 on the civilian side

josephd
10-04-10, 11:36 PM
yes you would be a higher rank when and if you moved over to infantry but those stripes don't mean a thing if you don't know your job, have no leadership skills, and are considered a boot to PFC's and Lances who have done their time.

the wing and the ground/green side of the Corps is completely different.

Backhaus 1103
10-05-10, 04:40 PM
You'll probably be a Cpl, maybe a Sgt. I don't know the cutting score. If you do that you'll be as boot as the Pvt and PFC who comes from SOI into the fleet. You won't be treated like one by some people, but you will be by others. You can tell the difference between a boot Cpl who has lat moved or came from SF and that of one that been on combat deployments....and I'm not just talking about your stack.

Experience is more important than rank when it comes to billets.

BIGdreams
10-05-10, 10:58 PM
Oh I most definitely agree with you backhaus. tenure-ship and experience have hold more weight than rank IMO. If I ever got bored with jet engines and i wanted to go out and kill babies... err i mean bodies, I would definitely look to the people with more experience even if they're a lower rank than me. So what if I'm a sergeant from the technical side, I know I still a noob aka boot when it comes to infantry.

josephd
10-06-10, 03:29 AM
Oh I most definitely agree with you backhaus. tenure-ship and experience have hold more weight than rank IMO. If I ever got bored with jet engines and i wanted to go out and kill babies... err i mean bodies, I would definitely look to the people with more experience even if they're a lower rank than me. So what if I'm a sergeant from the technical side, I know I still a noob aka boot when it comes to infantry.

hahaha you say that now, but I can almost guarantee you'll be singing a different tune once you wear those stripes

BIGdreams
10-06-10, 06:42 AM
Well, I don't think I can convince you otherwise, But I've already been in positions where, I've been doing something for a while, and then some noob comes along who "outranks" me and therefore thinks they know everything there is to know. I DEFINITELY don't want to be that kind of person. that type of thinking is detrimental to any organization or group, weather it be a robotics club, JROTC, or the Marine Corps.

BIGdreams
10-06-10, 06:45 AM
and no I didn't read that in a book....

Enrique2010
10-06-10, 06:56 PM
I would say go Infantry from the start if you want that MOS. If not, you're going to go to bootcamp, then to a month of combat training, then do many months of MOS training, THEN finally it the fleet. If you go 03xx then after bootcamp, you go to ITB and start combat training for a month, then after a month you go to your specific weapons training. THEN hit the fleet, where you're going to basically be out in the field the whole time. I realized that I personally, hate being in the field all day lol, so you may not like infantry anyway. You wont know until you get there. Personally, LAT moving is not a good idea. Like someone up top said, once you LAT move, you'll be of higher rank. With that comes more responsibility. You cant be put in that position in ANY MOS, if you dont know what you are doing.

Supersquishy
10-06-10, 07:11 PM
If you go airwing you will go through MCT, if you lat move FROM the airwing to an 03XX unit you will need to go through SOI,basically MCT times 8. I bet you change your mind a thousand times before even getting close to your EAS.

BIGdreams
10-06-10, 08:30 PM
I'm not saying I will make a lat move, but I was just trying to get an idea of what it would be like if i ever wanted to. who knows. I might get aircrew and love every minute of it, or I might think fixing Ospreys is pretty damn boring. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm young, i know it, and I'm all hyped on testosterone right now, so the whole gung-ho infantry thing appeals to me. I'm giving myself time to figure everything out.