PDA

View Full Version : Need some experience people to really give me a ballpark here...

Jamen Somasu
10-04-10, 04:31 PM
I have already served 4 years of active duty and got out as a Lance Corporal (one BS NJP was pretty much at fault at this+the crappy leadership that was my squadron). I managed to get out honorably.

Two years later, I'm back. Since I was told by my prior reenlistmet recruiter that there are not slots available to put me on active, I was told to join a reserve unit near Warner Robbins, GA.

Here are some of my basic stats:

Average marks - 4.2 / 4.2
Rifle range - 3x Expert
PFT - low 1st class
Swim qual - 2nd class
NJP's - 1
Letters/Certificates of appreciation - 3
MCI's- currently redoing all of them
Good Cookie - 1
National Defense Ribbon - 1
WATR - 1

Here are my questions:

1- How long does it take to get promoted to LCpl to Cpl, with my background, in the Reserves?

2- How possible would it be to lap-move somewhere else? (I have been away from my MOS long enough now, I would think)

3- Is there a statute of limitations as to how long a LCpl has to make Cpl?

The reason I am asking here now is because my Reserve unit (as well as the recruiters) is being kind of shady about this (giving me smokefilled answers and half-trues).

Thanks for the input!

R Landry
10-04-10, 05:38 PM
Look at this for starters:

Promotion to Corporal (E-4)

The Corporal's Role and Responsibilities

http://www.*************/MilitaryCareers/pics/Marine_E4.gif <table width="200" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td>

<table width="95%" align="center" bgcolor="#003360" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" hspace="3"> <tbody><tr> <td> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td class="b-title" align="center" height="20">USMC Enlisted
Promotions Links </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table width="95%" align="center" bgcolor="#003366" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" hspace="3"> <tbody><tr> <td> <table width="100%" bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td> <table width="97%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td> Promotions (http://www.*************/MilitaryCareers/Content/0,14556,MPDC_PromoLdg_Marine,00.html)
Selection Boards (http://www.*************/MilitaryCareers/Content/0,14556,MPDC_EvalsLdg_Marine,00.html)
Evaluations (http://www.*************/MilitaryCareers/Content/0,14556,MPDC_EvalsLdg_Marine,00.html)
Earning a Commission (http://www.*************/MilitaryCareers/Content/0,14556,MPDC_Options_Commissioning_Marine,00.html)
Career Options (http://www.*************/MilitaryCareers/Content/0,14556,MPDC_CareerLdg_Marine,00.html)
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Corporal is the most junior of the noncommissioned officer NCO ranks. However, that does not lessen the authority or responsibility the rank carries.

Some specific NCO duties you will normally be expected to perform are:

Train subordinates in their MOS and basic military skills
Be accountable for the actions of your squad, section, or team
Enforce the standards of military and physical appearance
Ensure supervision, control, and discipline of subordinates
Assist in personal and professional development of fellow Marines
Provide communication link between the individual Marine and the organization
Plan and conduct the routine and day-to-day unit operation within the policies established by your senior officers.
Maintain appearance and condition of unit billeting spaces, facilities, and work areas
Maintain serviceability, accountability, and readiness of assigned arms and equipment
Maintain the established standards of professionalism and job performance for the Marines, the NCO's, the SNCO's and the Corps
Support, follow, and implement policy established by officers

<table width="310" align="left" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="235" align="top">http://www.*************/pics/CareersMarines_Corporal.jpg</td> <td width="7">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="careers-small" style="padding: 3px;" width="250" height="68">http://www.*************/pics/spacer.gif
As a Corporal you will be required to exercise an ever-increasing degree of maturity, leadership, and professionalism.

http://www.*************/pics/spacer.gif</td> <td width="7" height="68">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> As a Corporal you will be required to exercise an ever-increasing degree of maturity, leadership, and professionalism. To a large extent, accomplishment of the ultimate mission -- success in battle -- depends on your development as a small unit leader and your professional abilities.

The Corporal (CPL) Promotion Process
Unlike the ranks of PFC and LCpl, to be worthy of the title "Noncommissioned Officer" you must demonstrate that you are capable of meeting the demands of the next higher grade by meeting both basic eligibility requirements and competing in a Marine Corps-wide Composite Score competition, which is intended to promote the best qualified candidates.

Basic Eligibility Requirement
In addition to your company or unit commander's recommendation, you must also meet the following qualifications:

12 months Time-In-Service
8 months' Time-In-Grade

Composite Score
Composite Scores (CS) are determined on a quarterly basis. Each quarter, the Marine Corps announces how many Marines in each MOS, will be promoted to E-4. To determine who gets promoted, "Composite Score" points are awarded from each of the following areas:

The Composite Score Points Breakdown

<table class="standard-2" width="100%" border="1"> <tbody><tr class="careers-text"> <td colspan="2">
Score Area
</td> <td colspan="2">
Source / Details
</td> <td width="20%">
Example Points
</td> </tr> <tr class="careers-text"> <td colspan="2"> General Military Performance</td> <td colspan="2">
Total of Rifle and PFT Qualification Scores Divided by 2 then multiplied by 100
</td> <td width="20%">
</td> </tr> <tr class="careers-text"> <td colspan="2">Average Duty Proficiency Marks</td> <td colspan="2">
Average Marks (rounded to nearest tenth) x 100
</td> <td width="20%">
</td> </tr> <tr class="careers-text"> <td colspan="2">
Average Conduct Marks
</td> <td colspan="2">
Average Marks (rounded to nearest tenth) x 100
</td> <td width="20%">
</td> </tr> <tr class="careers-text"> <td colspan="2">Time-In-Service (TIS)</td> <td colspan="2">
TIS Months x 2
</td> <td width="20%">
</td> </tr> <tr class="careers-text"> <td colspan="2">Time-In-Grade (TIG)</td> <td colspan="2">
TIG Months x 5
</td> <td width="20%">
</td> </tr> <tr class="careers-text"> <td colspan="4">Self-Education Bonus Points</td> <td width="20%">
</td> </tr> <tr class="careers-text"> <td colspan="4">Special Assignments Points </td> <td width="20%">
</td> </tr> <tr class="careers-text"> <td colspan="4">Command Recruiting Bonus (20 points per recruit)</td> <td width="20%">
</td> </tr> <tr class="careers-text"> <td colspan="4">Total Composite Score (example)</td> <td width="20%">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
General Military Perrformance (GMP) Score
Your GMP Score is determined from promotion points awarded for Qualification Scores on the rifle range, and Qualification Scores from your Physical Fitness Test. Your Rifle Range Scores are converted a rating score. The Rifle Score is then added to the promotion points determined from the Physical Fitness Test Score. The result is then divided by 2.

Average Duty Proficiency (ADP) Marks (Points)
Your periodic duty performance evaluation rating by your by their superior(s) are used as part of your promotion composite score system. All ratings are used since your last change in rank (promotion, demotion, etc). Your ratings are averaged, then rounded off to the nearest 10th (4.44 would be 4.4; 4.45 would be 4.5) and multiplied by 100 to determine your ADP composite points.

Average Conduct Marks (Points)
Your Average Conduct Marks (ACM) for all ratings are used since your last change in rank (promotion, demotion, etc). First, your ratings are averaged. The average of your conduct marks are then rounded off to the nearest 10th (4.44 would be 4.4; 4.45 would be 4.5). This average is then multiplied by 100 to determine the ACM composite points.

Time-In-Service Points
You receive Composite points for each month of total active duty federal military service. Time in Service (months) is multiplied by 2 to determine TIS Composite Points.

Time-In-Grade Points
You receive Composite points for each month served in their current rank. Time in Grade (months) is multiplied by 5 to determine TIG Composite Points.

Self-Education Bonus Points
You can receive bonus points for certain college courses and military training courses. Points are only awarded for course work that has been earned since your last change in rank (promotion, reduction, etc).
The maximum number of "Self-Education Points" that can be used is 75.

Special Assignments Points
Your commander can award you 100 bonus points for serving in Drill Instructor, Recruiter, or Marine Security Guard assignments. These composite points are valid for one year after completion of the assignment, but once you use your bonus points to be promoted, those points may not be applied for your next promotion. Your 100-point bonus will be revoked if you fail to perform duty successfully or complete your assigned tour of duty.

Command Recruiting Program Bonus Points
As a Lance Corporal and Corporal you can get 20 promotion points for referring applicants who enlist in the Marine Corps or Marine Corps Reserves. These points are awarded for each individual referred while serving in your current rank.
The maximum number of points is 100.

The Selection Process Schedule
The below schedule indicates the cutoff date for input of data elements, the approximate date that composite scores (CS) will be computed, and the months the composite scores for each quarter are reflected on the unit’s Diary Feedback Report (DFR) for each regular promotion quarter:

<table width="100%" border="1"> <tbody><tr class="careers-text"> <td width="23%"> Promotion Quarters</td> <td width="35%">CS Data Input Submission
Quarterly Cutoff Dates</td> <td width="19%">CS
Computed </td> <td width="23%">Month's Cutting CS on Unit DFR</td> </tr> <tr class="careers-text"> <td width="23%">Jan, Feb, Mar</td> <td width="35%">20 November</td> <td width="19%">30 November</td> <td width="23%">Dec, Jan, Feb</td> </tr> <tr class="careers-text"> <td width="23%">Apr, May, Jun</td> <td width="35%">20 February</td> <td width="19%">28 February</td> <td width="23%">Mar, Apr, May</td> </tr> <tr class="careers-text"> <td width="23%">Jul, Aug, Sep</td> <td width="35%">20 May</td> <td width="19%">31 May</td> <td width="23%">Jun, Jul, Aug</td> </tr> <tr class="careers-text"> <td width="23%">Oct, Nov, Dec </td> <td width="35%">20 August</td> <td width="19%">31 August</td> <td width="23%">Sep, Oct, Nov</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
The Marine Corps Promotions Branch (MMPR) announces monthly cutting scores for each MOS. If your score is above that month's Cutting Score, you will be eligible to be promoted on the first working day of the following month.

firedog974
10-04-10, 06:29 PM
Not trying to be an ass here, but 4.2-4.2 is pretty friggin low. You need to be at 4.5-4.5 to even be considered competitive for promotion in most MOS's. Step up your game, take more initiative,...

advanced
10-06-10, 08:15 AM
I'll tell you one thing, that sure seems complicated with all those scores. Lucky for me, back in the day all I had to do was outlive everyone else - those were the days.