PDA

View Full Version : Ist score and my weight

lake9
10-04-10, 02:20 PM
First i will start off with a small introduction, My name is Matt from a small town called Blairstown. i have wanted to be a Marine since i was 6 years old it has been my life goal,My dream to earn the title United States Marine. I'm 19 years old who is in the Official DEP/Poole since June. Everything has gone near perfect so far, i ship out in January as a 03XX. I feel 110% ready, once I'm down their i will come back a Marine or die trying!

My questions:
1: Will my weight be an issue?
I'm 128 pounds at 5.8 ft . I have been trying to gain weight but its really tough(yeah i said tough)I'm just looking for tips. if its not a issue then don't bother and thanks for the help i really appreciate it!

:2 Kinda of a lame question, I hear these kind of things make the Drill instructors get on your case about. For some reason i cant stay in step doing side straddle hops its lame i know! I think i just start going too fast and loose step. any advice? My eyes are always looking at the table.

What would be an idea IST before i leave?
Current:
Pull-ups - 14
Crunches - 90
Mile half run- 10:03

that's all, Thanks!

BassPro0007
10-04-10, 02:36 PM
First off, congrats on the enlistment. Welcome to life as a poolee! lol

1) I feel your pain. I am 6' 4'' and weigh 165. You would have to check with your recruiter for the exact numbers on hieght/wieght ratios, but you have to be anorexic skinny to not meet the minimum (mine is 147 and like I said, Im 6' 4''). As for trying to gain weight, dont bother. I've tried an all protien diet, consumed 7000 calories a day, worked out constantly, ect. ect. I have gained ten pounds scence I swore in though. Muscle mass will come naturally once you buckle down with your workouts.

2) They will fix any mistakes you make in boot. You cant go without making any so you might as well not try to fix everything.

3) Get your sit ups to one hundred and that will be a good IST score to go in with.

wilsontc11
10-04-10, 02:38 PM
im pretty sure 128 is fine... you'll just gain weight at boot camp. and that IST score is pretty good

RBrouse
10-04-10, 03:33 PM
if your under weight at boot camp they will put you on double rations until within the limits.

lake9
10-04-10, 04:28 PM
alright thanks, doesn't look like I'm underweight so i should be fine.
double rations would be nice though lol

Zumbii
10-04-10, 04:43 PM
Im actually very similar to your build Matt. I am currently 143 and 5'10''. When I DEPed I was one 130.
I gained a bit of weight by working out hard and drinking a protein shake followed by a very large meal. Also cutting out sugars.