PDA

View Full Version : 1968 Marine Year in Review

USNAviator
10-02-10, 06:10 PM
Found another DoD film. This one while it's titled 1970 is actually a review of the Corps for 1968. It's in color. Perhaps some of you may recognize fellow Marines. It runs about 30 minutes. There is quite a bit of footage of Khe Sanh

http://www.archive.org/details/gov.dod.dimoc.23481

hbharrison
10-02-10, 07:00 PM
Liked that one Cmdr I left VN in dec67 was part of a lot of training Camp pen during 68.

FistFu68
10-02-10, 07:53 PM
:usmc: 1968 year of The Monkey,Graduation was A Bear Semper Fidelis :usmc::iwo:

advanced
10-03-10, 10:00 AM
Good flick. Saw a couple of places where I was at. I was at Hue in the old city and the palace for 11 days. Here we are, doing all the killing and the dying and at the end we get told to stand down and they let the freaking arvan's take the damn palace and raise their fuuking yellow flag. Yeah, after it was just a stroll in the park after we had taken out all the bad guys. They sure chose a good color for their flag.

And on Operation Meade River I had no idea that it was the largest operation of vertical invelopment in Marine Corps history. To us it was just another day in deep shiit. I was with the 3/5 and we had been in the Arizona and in and out of Dodge City for some time. During Mead River we had trapped a lot of the gookers in there and one place in particular called the hook(I think it was also called the island but can't remeber), well we lost an awful lot of good people in there. After we took the damn place our battalion got so shot up that they actually pulled us out of the rest of the operation. We went back to An Hoa for some much needed R&R (you believe that one?).

I've know a lot of good guys from the 26th over the years. Khe Sanh was a bad place no doubt and yet it was mainly defensive. I don't think I would have wanted to be there taking a pounding day after day, waiting for the slopes to over run you. I'm glad I was with the 5th and we were able to employ offensive missions.

One last thing. After watching the video I forgot how young we looked. I guess having been in some of those places I always thought as the years went by that at whatever age I was at any given time it was like it was just yesterday. I guess in my head I was always that old wherever I was in time. Like a 63 year old in a 20 year olds body. So here I am today, with all those stories in my head, that almost nobody would ever believe if I were to tell them, so I don't tell them.

I am proud to say that I had the deepest honor to serve with the finest bravest men I could ever imagine, let alone get to meet and know so well. They looked like shiit, smelled even worse, born killers protecting me and the others, the truest friends you could ever meet and they were always faithful to me and to each other. Only one word can describe such men - Marines!

CH53MetalMan
10-04-10, 10:36 AM
Good flick. Saw a couple of places where I was at. I was at Hue in the old city and the palace for 11 days. Here we are, doing all the killing and the dying and at the end we get told to stand down and they let the freaking arvan's take the damn palace and raise their fuuking yellow flag. Yeah, after it was just a stroll in the park after we had taken out all the bad guys. They sure chose a good color for their flag.

And on Operation Meade River I had no idea that it was the largest operation of vertical invelopment in Marine Corps history. To us it was just another day in deep shiit. I was with the 3/5 and we had been in the Arizona and in and out of Dodge City for some time. During Mead River we had trapped a lot of the gookers in there and one place in particular called the hook(I think it was also called the island but can't remeber), well we lost an awful lot of good people in there. After we took the damn place our battalion got so shot up that they actually pulled us out of the rest of the operation. We went back to An Hoa for some much needed R&R (you believe that one?).

I've know a lot of good guys from the 26th over the years. Khe Sanh was a bad place no doubt and yet it was mainly defensive. I don't think I would have wanted to be there taking a pounding day after day, waiting for the slopes to over run you. I'm glad I was with the 5th and we were able to employ offensive missions.

One last thing. After watching the video I forgot how young we looked. I guess having been in some of those places I always thought as the years went by that at whatever age I was at any given time it was like it was just yesterday. I guess in my head I was always that old wherever I was in time. Like a 63 year old in a 20 year olds body. So here I am today, with all those stories in my head, that almost nobody would ever believe if I were to tell them, so I don't tell them.

I am proud to say that I had the deepest honor to serve with the finest bravest men I could ever imagine, let alone get to meet and know so well. They looked like shiit, smelled even worse, born killers protecting me and the others, the truest friends you could ever meet and they were always faithful to me and to each other. Only one word can describe such men - Marines!

Very well said!

Thank You

Mongoose
10-04-10, 11:02 AM
Advanced, the 3/26th was at Meade River also. We also shed a lot of blood at the Hook. Fists platoon leader was awarded the MOH for action at the Hook. Any Marine that fought in Meade River fought in the lower depths of Hell. We can never bestowe enough Honer to the Marines that fought in V.N. S/F

advanced
10-06-10, 08:23 AM
Hey Billy - yeah, the 3/26 was another highly respected unit in the finest tradition of the Marine Corps. I know, you all were right there with us.