PDA

View Full Version : Marine reservists, in Iraq since January, return home

thedrifter
09-27-03, 05:05 PM
Marine reservists, in Iraq since January, return home
Terry Collins, Star Tribune

Published September 27, 2003 RESE27

For Larissa Judnic, eight is the magic number.

That's how many months it took her husband, Lance Cpl. Jason Judnic of Colby, Wis., on deployment with a Twin Cities Marine Reserves unit in Iraq, to come home.

It's also how many months pregnant she is with the newlywed couple's second child, a son they've already named: Justice.

"He didn't think he'd be home in time for the delivery," said Judnic, 23, about her husband, as she and their 2-year-old daughter, Kylie, awaited his arrival. "But I'm so happy he's coming home. They are all coming home."

There was an outpouring of emotion, flags, balloons and cheers -- and a brief downpour -- as nearly 70 Marine reservists and their families were reunited outside the Naval and Marine Corps Reserve Center at Fort Snelling on Friday afternoon.

The reservists were activated in late January and deployed to serve as military police for advancing U.S. ground forces into Baghdad.

As soon as U.S. troops routed the Iraqi Army and took over Baghdad, the reservists handled duties such as controlling traffic on a key bridge. They also recently provided security at a camp in Kuwait.

Many of the families didn't find out that their Marines were coming home until Wednesday, said Gunnery Sgt. Chuck Elliot, a spokesman for the Military Police Unit, 4th Marine Division.

The unit suffered no fatalities, he said.

"I feel a sense of relief and happiness about that because, professional concern aside, these guys are also my friends," Elliot said. "I'm proud of them."

The homecoming could be short-lived because under a partial mobilization program authorized by President Bush, the unit could be activated again.

"I hope not anytime soon," said a tearful Larissa Judnic, clutching her husband's arm. "They just got here."

Many family members said they didn't hear from the reservists for nearly six weeks after they departed. The letters and five-minute phone calls came slowly at first but picked up more as the assignment was coming to an end.

The homecoming was particularly special for Anita and Steve Warner of Arden Hills, who came to welcome home their oldest son, Cpl. Nathan Warner, 23.

"I feel great. It's great to be back in civilization," Nathan Warner said. "You don't understand the importance of little things such as taking a hot shower and sitting on a couch instead of rocks.

"And the importance of family and friends back home supporting us."

The Warners are a military family. They have another son, Marine Sgt. Jacob Warner, 21, who also recently returned to the United States after a stay in Iraq. He is scheduled to head off to Afghanistan in November.

A third son, Calin, 18, also has signed up for the Marines and leaves for boot camp at Camp Pendleton near San Diego next spring.

"I'm a mess," Anita Warner said. "It's a double-edged sword. I have one son coming home and another leaving. I like having all my chicks in the nest."

The men's father, Steve Warner, said: "I'm getting used to it. The experience changes them and matures them."

And it makes families practice patience, said Kristina Anderson, 38, of Big Lake, Minn., who was eagerly waiting for the return of her husband, Sgt. Kirk Anderson, 34.

After he left for Iraq, she said she was glued to the television, but by late April she stopped watching.

"There's been days when you don't want to get out of bed and everything seems so unfair," a tearful Anderson said. "But love and support from other families in the same situation helps."

Anderson stopped speaking in midsentence when she raced away after spotting her husband.

"One more hug," she told her husband, who already was held in a tight squeeze. "Now I believe you're home."

Terry Collins is at tcollins@startribune.com.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1762/4121815.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: