PDA

View Full Version : Battalion Level

Freaky Zekey
10-02-10, 02:35 PM
I am an 0151 Admin (i know biggest POG MOS in the Corps) i was suppose to be Arty but its a long story and dot feel like typing it. I am coming up on reenlisting here in the next year (FY 12). I wanted to LAT move into Tanks, Grunt or Arty but the wife likes me being admin (:mad:) So like a good husband that i am we came to a compromise. That i would stay Admin (:mad:) but i will try and go to battlion level. Does anyone have insite on admin at that level? i heard admin will be used as machine gunners when deployed and be out doing grunts things like going to the feild, up on the 50 cal for convoys etc etc.. Can anyone help me out?! I want to do REAL MARINE things not a desk jockey!!

Thanks for your help.

Kegler300
10-02-10, 02:51 PM
Anybody can shoot a gun...only a REAL MARINE can type 60 wpm!! (;

Freaky Zekey
10-02-10, 06:16 PM
lol MGySgt, admin is just so boring! no thrill and we NEVER train as Marines should. i'm losing my mind!

Backhaus 1103
10-02-10, 07:03 PM
You could work in S-1, but it's not like they patrol or anything. It's not their job. I couldn't really tell you what they do since the only time I've ever seen any of them is when I checked in.
You're best bet would be to try and convince your wife haha, good luck.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-02-10, 07:21 PM
What about a lat move to something like Intel?

Freaky Zekey
10-02-10, 07:51 PM
thats where i would go would be the S-1. i talked to my LCpl, his brother is a battlion level admin in Afgan and said he hasnt done any admin work since he has been there he has been out patrolling and getting knee deep in the ****, i just wanna have it confirmed on here. thanks for the luck trust me its a daily up hill battle i always get so close. She was all about the tanks but then changed her mind!!! :mad: she doesnt understand my want to be in a combat MOS. When ppl think of the Corps they think Combat Warriors not desk jockeys!!

Freaky Zekey
10-02-10, 07:54 PM
i thought about intel, maybe i'll have to look more into it. I see that you were intel Sgt. Could you tell me some things about that MOS?

Sgt Leprechaun
10-02-10, 07:56 PM
If you hit the 'Ask a Marine' section, there is a sticky there that gives a GREAT breakdown of what Intel does nowadays. I'm afraid my info would be rather dated. You can also do a search 'site-wide' for both "Intelligence" and "0231", that'll bring up all sorts of information.

usmc3521
10-02-10, 08:00 PM
Just go ua, all the cool cats do it!

Old Marine
10-02-10, 09:18 PM
thats where i would go would be the S-1. i talked to my LCpl, his brother is a battlion level admin in Afgan and said he hasnt done any admin work since he has been there he has been out patrolling and getting knee deep in the ****, i just wanna have it confirmed on here. thanks for the luck trust me its a daily up hill battle i always get so close. She was all about the tanks but then changed her mind!!! :mad: she doesnt understand my want to be in a combat MOS. When ppl think of the Corps they think Combat Warriors not desk jockeys!!

Most real Marines do not give a sh!t what ppl think of the Corps. Most ppl do not have a clue of what goes on in the Corps, including some Marines.:evilgrin:

JeffG
10-02-10, 09:44 PM
A Corparal asking this question??? Lol I guess infantry wasn't available huh??? yeah right

Backhaus 1103
10-02-10, 10:26 PM
I don't know what unit the lance was in, but he must have been patroling to the chow hall or something because no admin patroled where I was, at least I didn't see it. They leave that up to the grunts, it's kinda their job.

Phantom Blooper
10-03-10, 03:38 AM
What type of unit are you in now....that has 0151 MOS on the company level?

Are you with a division or a MCB?

My reason for asking is that when I was in although I was a grunt....our company admin section....clerks,training,CO/1st Sgt....gopher were all grunts or in the 03XX field.

Some were sick/medical hold....some could half way type...or type and filed all reports for battalion and went and got mail...supplies...reports/UD and anything that needed to be taken to S-1....admin...or the SGT MAJORS office.

When did they start putting 0151's on the company level?:evilgrin:

Freaky Zekey
10-03-10, 08:45 AM
A Corparal asking this question??? Lol I guess infantry wasn't available huh??? yeah right

actually it was but i wanted arty

Supersquishy
10-03-10, 08:50 AM
Just go ua, all the cool cats do it!

Yea! Or go destroy your office one night and blame it on pay.

Backhaus 1103
10-03-10, 12:14 PM

My reason for asking is that when I was in although I was a grunt....our company admin section....clerks,training,CO/1st Sgt....gopher were all grunts or in the 03XX field.

Some were sick/medical hold....some could half way type...or type and filed all reports for battalion and went and got mail...supplies...reports/UD and anything that needed to be taken to S-1....admin...or the SGT MAJORS office.

Company level is still all 03s, battalion is admin guys.

christ0ph0311
10-04-10, 08:25 PM
I know an admin guy at our bn S-1. All he did in afghanistan was PCR's, awards, and personnel counts stuff. only time he left the wire was to bring out linguist time cards to the outposts. don't expect anything other than admin work, and you won't be let down

Freaky Zekey
10-04-10, 08:40 PM
thanks for all the responses, i guess i'll just have to live with the fact im an admin and thats what i'll be doing unless i LAT move

MGySgtSki
10-07-10, 06:40 PM

I don't think he's on the company level the way you're thinking. He's most likely at one of the big consolidated admin centers we have now. Gone are the days of having full administrative support at the unit level. Pretty much these days, you'll find 01xx's in the Adj shop handling some S-1 functions, but all the admin functions are handled at (usually) base-level consolidated admin centers (PACs - Personnel Admin Centers).

Sgt Leprechaun
10-07-10, 07:02 PM
Yup...and to a Marine that I've talked to, they think the system SUX. I remember when this started, about 1999 time frame, and 'we' thought it was a completely STUPID idea then. (The wife, a former 0151 from the 80's..also thought it was dumb).

As usual, though, some bright lad at HQMC likely thought it was 'great' or some such...and now we are stuck with it.

Phantom Blooper
10-07-10, 07:20 PM
Interesting....

Don't fix it....if it isn't broke.....

Always had good admin....never wanted or waited for much....

Pizz on CHANGE! :evilgrin:

cAs
10-15-10, 08:03 PM
I'm an 0121 and I personally was always out with PSD and the sniper platoon (when they had humanitarian missions). I know a few people that either got on Guard or turned into gunners... But the only reason they did that was because there were too many people in the S-1 when i came time to set up shop in country. It all really just depends. You could have a cool SNCOIC that will let you go if asked. You never know. And we're 0111's now... just to throw that in there. Surprise your wife with a lat-move and a bonus is you get one for that MOS...:D

HOWARDROARK3043
10-15-10, 10:10 PM
in afghanistan ,,, admin marines either 1) guard the chow hall so you dont take extra stuff ,,,, 2)) they guard the porta johns0000waiting to catch females hoe'ing around,,, so they can tell the 1st sgt and get a nam.............3))) they open up disbursing at like 1000,,, when everybody else is awake at 4am...................

The DUKE
10-15-10, 11:14 PM
Some Gave All, All Gave Some, Nuff Said,
Do Your Job You Got Nothing To Be Upset About.

brian0351
10-16-10, 03:30 AM
So let me get this straight. You're wife doesn't want you in a combat arms position. Soooo, you are trying to look for a way to get combat so you can lie to your wife about your job being admin...and hope to get combat action as an augment?

Seriously that is not a compromise. She gave you an ultimatum and you are trying your best to circumvent it. You being happy in your job will equate to a happy marriage. You don't want to stay admin, hate your life and as a result blame your wife.

Personally I think a good compromise would be Arty or Tracks and not infantry. You can explain to her that Arty guys are a good 10-15 miles from the front lines or that track guys have a thick encasement of armor.

You only have one life. Make the best of it. You are trying to accommodate your wife as best you can, that is fair. However, is it fair of her to keep you from doing what you really want to do?

dizark
10-18-10, 05:26 AM
I'm a radio operator in a Victor unit. Anyways, currently out here in Afghanistan, and I know we don't have many Marines in our S1 shop here, but I can say they don't leave the wire. We have our own H&S Guard Force, which I'm currently on. Involves standing post, and patrolling. That's the only patrolling I've done.

Combat Jack
10-19-10, 11:11 AM
No dude...even at Bn level, your likely hood of EVER shooting a rifle anywhere outside a range (which you won't go to many of either) is almost nil! So just stick with your 360, and your new copy of Medal of Honor. Frolicking game is wicked-awesome. That OpFor stuff really eats it though.