PDA

View Full Version : "March on Marines", 1940

Garyius
10-02-10, 12:18 PM
So I was fairly hung over this morning, and I watched a movie from 1940 called "March on Marines".

The plot and acting sucked raw ass, but it was very interesting because it was filmed mostly at MCRDSD . The grinder scenes were very interesting, little had changed there except the now H-style barracks.

Also interesting was how poor the equipment was. Not just springfield rifles, but crappy baby arty pieces, cheap and cruddy trucks, WWI helmets, and hardly any machine guns.

The Corps wasn't really ready for a war in 1940, at least from what I saw in a movie where the Marines seemed to have gone all out to show off.

Zulu 36
10-02-10, 01:41 PM
So I was fairly hung over this morning, and I watched a movie from 1940 called "March on Marines".

The plot and acting sucked raw ass, but it was very interesting because it was filmed mostly at MCRDSD . The grinder scenes were very interesting, little had changed there except the now H-style barracks.

Also interesting was how poor the equipment was. Not just springfield rifles, but crappy baby arty pieces, cheap and cruddy trucks, WWI helmets, and hardly any machine guns.

The Corps wasn't really ready for a war in 1940, at least from what I saw in a movie where the Marines seemed to have gone all out to show off.

I believe that was the movie that prompted Parris Island Marines to start calling SD Marines "Hollywood Marines." My father told me that and he went through MCRDSD in 1943 pretty close to the event.

ShannonL
10-03-10, 12:57 PM
Due to the clean nature of movies back then, they had to tone down alot, because the FCC would've had thier guts for garters...The gov was after the directors and producers for communism. Hell even Charlie Chaplin got hit. They wanted a reason to start "Hanging Nuns" as they say. Many many great scenes were cut from films because the public review board were a bunch of yellow bellied %^&*&* as John Wayne put it. So movies like Born To Kill or Platoon and We Were Soldiers would never have make it out the cutting room.