PDA

View Full Version : I need a gym workout routine

Yankeeloon200
10-01-10, 03:42 PM
Hello all Poolee's need a routine to do and since everyone here is probably doing the same thing as me what better place to ask?

I just got a membership to the gym, i usually run between 1-2 miles every time im there then just lift weight, bench press then swim in pool etc.. but i dont know how many reps to do and im usually just working out the same muscles all the time which i heard isent good.

Does anyone have a gym workout or a website that could help me with a workout i can do at the gym everyday? Maybe something like a 5-7 day workout routine that can help each part of my body? :beer:

Rough Hands
10-01-10, 08:41 PM
Hello all Poolee's need a routine to do and since everyone here is probably doing the same thing as me what better place to ask?

I just got a membership to the gym, i usually run between 1-2 miles every time im there then just lift weight, bench press then swim in pool etc.. but i dont know how many reps to do and im usually just working out the same muscles all the time which i heard isent good.

Does anyone have a gym workout or a website that could help me with a workout i can do at the gym everyday? Maybe something like a 5-7 day workout routine that can help each part of my body? :beer:

Did you get the "Welcome Aboard" package? It has a recommended routine in there, and changes it up depending on how much time you have before you ship. If you're just interested in a good weightlifting routine, I'd just say look up "Stronglifts 5x5" on Google. It starts you off working on your form, that way, when you get to working with heavier weight, you're less likely to injure yourself.

Also, you're right, don't work the same muscle group or do the same exact exercises every time you go to the gym. Always trying to incorporate compound exercises (exercises that use more than one muscle to perform a rep, i.e., bench press, squat, deadlift, etc.) if you're a beginner - you'll gain more from them than isometric exercises.

3-4 days a week is probably all you need to start; you're always going to need a rest day if you want to actually gain strength or endurance, otherwise your muscles will never repair properly and you'll lose more than you gain. 5-6 days, unless you're a pretty seasoned lifter, is kind of pushing it.

...Though, I might have jumped the gun. What are your goals? Mass gain, strength gain, fat loss, weight loss, or just overall physical fitness and improvement?

mcspam
10-02-10, 02:20 AM
There is no right or wrong exercises to do. Weight training isn't a necessity since when we go to bootcamp we will be doing alot of bodyweight type exercises. Not that there is anything wrong with weight training as I myself workout 5 days a week in the gym with weights but that is because I love to lift. Do the reccommended stuff in the welcome aboard package at home and at the gym just do at least 3 days a week of weight training. Use sites like bodybuilding.com to your advantage and research different workout routines. Im not familiar with the "stronglift 5 x 5", but sounds familiar to the Rippetoe 5 x 5, heck it might be the same thing. If it is, then that program is a good starting program to get you used to working out. My split works like this:
Monday: Shoulders and Traps, Tuesday: Legs , Wednesday: Back , Thursday: Chest, Friday: Arms, Saturday: off (work weekends), Sunday: Off . If you want more in depth actual exercise lists that I use, just pm me. I use the same base exercises but change some up each week to keep it fresh.

pattchan
10-02-10, 06:26 AM
mark rippetoe's starting strength buy the book and read it!

Yankeeloon200
10-02-10, 03:14 PM
I was doing the P90x but i just hated working out in my living room and looking at a TV i felt lazy...

Im looking to kind of tone up and get rid of some stomach fat. I was trying to look for some stuff online but most of it was home workouts.. or routines to get huge but i only want to tone up a bit.. should i just keep lifting free weights and doing the bench press?

My body is kind of getting used to going to the gym every other day and just lifting im not getting sore anymore. And their arent really any other worksout i can think of at the gym other then abs and lower body but i dont wanna go to my gym just to do that...

Rough Hands
10-02-10, 04:08 PM
I was doing the P90x but i just hated working out in my living room and looking at a TV i felt lazy...

Im looking to kind of tone up and get rid of some stomach fat. I was trying to look for some stuff online but most of it was home workouts.. or routines to get huge but i only want to tone up a bit.. should i just keep lifting free weights and doing the bench press?

My body is kind of getting used to going to the gym every other day and just lifting im not getting sore anymore. And their arent really any other worksout i can think of at the gym other then abs and lower body but i dont wanna go to my gym just to do that...

Well, the only way to "tone" your stomach, is to lose body fat. Your diet is going to play a big part; if you want to gain/maintain muscle while losing fat, try a ketogenic or low-carb diet.

Just switch up your routine, but make sure you're getting in the gym as often as your body will allow. The reason why I recommended Stronglifts 5x5 is because you're doing an A/B split for the week, and every time you workout, you're adding 5 pounds to your lifts, starting with any empty bar to ensure you have proper form.

If you don't like Stronglifts, just look up some routines, and if they've got squats, deadlifts and bench press in the routine, they're usually good enough to get you started. Also, someone mentioned Rippetoe's "Starting Strength", and that's a perfectly good routine as well.

See if this helps too:
http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html

Steve018
10-02-10, 06:16 PM
http://www.oo-rah.com They have some great work out plans! As for running, work your way up to running 3 miles everyday with a break in the weekends

ScarSniper
10-02-10, 07:55 PM
:evilgrin:So. You want to get in shape, huh?! You wanna get big?! Ripped? Toned out? Attract the beautiful lay-days? Well then Scar Sniper's got just the thing for you! The S5! "Scar Sniper's Super (Soldier) Serum!" (say it fast) This program will get you so ripped and so tight you'll have your Senior Drill Instructor calling YOU Sir! Here's what you need to do! First, you need to wake up at 0530 every other morning and run 8 miles! Yes. 8 Miles. 2 or 3 wont cut it, especially once your body gets used to that Pace! Your body needs to be pushed constantly to it's limitations, the fibers of your muscles need to be RIPPED so that (with proper nourishment) they grow back larger and you can produce more output! You will run 8 miles...every other morning, from Monday until Friday, then run Saturday and rest your legs Sunday! And don't say It's too much. I do it! Now. Just because you did a little 8 mile run doesn't mean you can just ease through the rest of the day. The S5 requires more dedication than that! Hit the gym! Lat-pull downs! Do as many reps as you can and then do 7 sets of 7 of your own weight, if you can't do your own weight, start lower and work your way up. Don't take too much time to recover either, that hinders your muscle endurance, understand?! After your forearms, biceps, and lats feel like they were mauled by a Triceratops, do Bicep Curls! Start at 40. 40 too high? Start at 35. 35 too high? You're a pansy. Do 10 sets of 10. Why not?! Muscles grow best when they're fatigued. Pumping releases adrenaline so it should actually get EASIER the ANGRIER you get, so get angry! People at the gym will tell you if you want to get big you need to do heavy set, low reps. Disregard that. Endurance is more important then size! Huge guys fall hard!!! So do the actual work-outs (lifting) SLOW, to HURT the muscle, but recover quickly, (30 seconds or less) and lift sum-more!! Done with the (slow) Bi-curls? Do Hammers! If you don't know what a hammer is? Look it up! Hammers are very similar to Bi-curls, only they work a slightly different set of muscles, you'll feel the change. Do about 5 sets of 5 of those. Enough Biceps! You can't just work out one part of your body!!! :mad: Time to Dip into Triceps territory. Dips! The hard way. Fold and intertwine your legs behind you and dip down until you feel the strain in your shoulders, and extend back, without unfolding your legs. Repeat. It hurts. Get water. Water is essential in workouts. Water replenishes you and allows you to repeat patterns with renewed vigor. It hydrates you. You should be getting water after every 3 different exercises. You're not done! You need to do lateral bench presses to work your chest. Use a Spotter. Don't have a friend? ASK someone. It's a gym. It's expected. Do not bench-press with fatigued muscles without a spotter. You will die. Done? Do some more Lat-pulldowns, and then do Diamond push-ups, Marine Corps count (1-2-3 "1!" 1-2-3 "2!") Do not waste your time doing regular Push-ups. If you can do 40 Diamond push-ups, you should be able to do 60 regs. Do Marine Corps dive-bombers. They hurt. You're tired, now. Stretch. Eat!!! Protein. Chicken Breasts. Beans. Protein shakes. Get your Carbs in. Fruits. Gatorade. Replenish those electrolytes. Eat within 1/2 an hour of your workout or you lose it. Don't overfeed. Later, when you have time? The same day? Work on your PULL-UPS!! Mount the bar. Hang. Pull. Do as many as you can. Dismount. Wait 30 seconds. Repeat. Continue until you can't hack one. Wait an hour. (during the wait, work on your crunches. Just do crunches! They're EASY!) Hit the pull-up bar again. Rest an hour. Pull-up again. You're done for the day. Note: When beginning, do pull-ups every other day.

Me personally, I hit the gym 6 days when I first started, but other poolees will tell you other things. I say go 6 days, but hey, that's me. If you have a poolee meeting on Saturdays, rest Fridays. Eat healthy. Run fast. Sweat mounds. There are lots of other things I do, that's my S5, and I can't put everything in one post. Wait, one more thing. If you have friends, do 200 crunches with them. One sitting. One person does 50, next person does 50, next person does 50, and so forth, until you've all hit 200. It works.

Now PT!!! :mad: