PDA

View Full Version : have a question about Mos school

luis2787
09-29-10, 11:25 PM
when i get to communications school. how can i ask about getting field radio operator? because i really want to work with the grunts. so please give me some info.

Backhaus 1103
09-30-10, 12:19 AM
Uhh...why don't you be a grunt?

usmc3521
09-30-10, 08:15 AM
yep........... Grunt is slim picking though now, I tried to go back in as an 0331 but my only 2 choices were cook or motor t. WTF!

Zulu 36
09-30-10, 11:00 AM
First you need to get through boot camp and MCT. Then you can worry about becoming a FRO.

luis2787
09-30-10, 11:05 AM
well i put in my 3 choices first was infantry then i choose communications field and last motor T. my recruiter said the October coming up there could be a chance were all the jobs open up and i get infantry or Comm and i choose Motor t cause there was nothing else to pick so hopefully ill be a grunt or a FRO

LoveOfCountry
09-30-10, 03:31 PM
Nothing is guaranteed when you go active duty. If you really want to lock down your MOS, then go reserves, then switch to active duty once you get to your unit. Any other way leaves room for you to get whatever MOS the MC wants to give you.

stretchusa
09-30-10, 03:55 PM
Nothing is guaranteed when you go active duty. If you really want to lock down your MOS, then go reserves, then switch to active duty once you get to your unit. Any other way leaves room for you to get whatever MOS the MC wants to give you.
Really? You know this how? Unless things have changed if you have a contract for infantry then you go to SOI and become a grunt. Just like I did.

LoveOfCountry
09-30-10, 04:09 PM
When you go active duty, you choose your top 3 MOS choices. Your last week of boot camp, the Marine Corps decides which of the 3 you'll get, and even then, it is possible to get something completely different.

A lot of current contracts aren't MOS specific either... just field specific. Like you might be guaranteed 03XX... but not necessarily 0311... just something in the 03 field.

Even if you contract for an MOS, the needs of the Marine Corps are the final decision.

As a reservist, your MOS is locked. The only way to not get it is to fail the school or training. You even interview with your unit before you go to boot camp.

Guess things have changed.

luis2787
09-30-10, 04:26 PM
i was told by my recruiter that i should know my mos by the end of next week cause the fiscal year i just really hope i get infantry or communications. so ill keep praying

Backhaus 1103
09-30-10, 05:46 PM
Uhhh no...you sign a contract for a field like you said. You might not be a 0311 but you'll be a grunt and unless you're a complete retard you probably are going to get what mos you want. You don't pick three things and the Marine Corps picks one. If you wait and get what you want instead of taking the soonest ship date, you'll get what you want.
And why would you go reserves if you want to be active, that's fu*king retarded.

stretchusa
09-30-10, 05:51 PM
Uhhh no...you sign a contract for a field like you said. You might not be a 0311 but you'll be a grunt and unless you're a complete retard you probably are going to get what mos you want. You don't pick three things and the Marine Corps picks one. If you wait and get what you want instead of taking the soonest ship date, you'll get what you want.
And why would you go reserves if you want to be active, that's fu*king retarded.
This

luis2787
09-30-10, 06:33 PM
This

thanks for the info guys i really appreciate it

usmc3521
09-30-10, 07:10 PM
you sign for a specific MOS at meps, its not just whatever the Marine Corps needs. Not just choose 3 and hope for one.

Dont go reserve if you plan on going active, you will have to be at your command for atleast a year and even then it will be super hard to get an active slot.

luis2787
09-30-10, 07:19 PM
i either want infantry or communications

indygti
10-01-10, 06:52 AM
There's some really bad info ITT, wtf?

LoveOfCountry, I don't know who told you that but they're full of ****. This is assuming you didn't make it all up, which I'm praying to baby jesus is the case because, again, wtf?

luis2787, if you want infantry, sign an infantry contract ffs. You might have to wait a while because infantry is so popular, but if that's what you really want don't settle for something else, you'll be kicking yourself later (or be kicking yourself if you decide infantry blows).

Sgt Leprechaun
10-01-10, 11:51 PM
Also...grammar....it's your friend. Start using it. Your writing, in a word...SUCKS. I'm really tempted just to close this one down because it's giving me hives just reading it.

Try me if you think I'm kidding. You think that being Infantry, you can be illiterate? You sure as hell better start writing better if you end up in 'Comm'.

Fix it.