PDA

View Full Version : Is a Commander-in-Chief supposed to do this before getting on Marine One?

JD0261
09-28-10, 02:31 PM
Ok fellow Marines, I know this video is a little old, but honestly, it's the first time I've seen it. Now is a President / Commander-in-Chief supposed to shake a Marine's hand like that before boarding the helo? If I were that particular Marine, I would have been in shock if he did that to me after I saluted him, but I probably would have shook his hand anyway. Regardless of everyone's views on the current President, does this possibly violate protocol? I honestly don't know. What do y'all think?

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR6wAn4NLv4

-JD

Old Marine
09-28-10, 02:41 PM
So he shook the Marine's hand. BFD. Some people like making mountains out of mole hills.

jinelson
09-28-10, 02:43 PM
I remember seeing this the day it happened and thinking wow now thats change indeed lol. The look on that young Corporals face is utter shock and I am not aware of what protocol exists. But since its the CIC my guess would be anything goes.

Jim

JD0261
09-28-10, 03:15 PM
Some people like making mountains out of mole hills.

I certainly wasn't intending to make a mountain out of it. Just was wondering. Eh, oh well.

ricardk20
09-28-10, 03:16 PM
As a Former Marine Security Guard I would say protocol was met. The President returned the salute then shook his hand. That has happened to me on many occasion. The salute is rendered, acknowledged by being returned. The handshake is acceptable

usmc3521
09-28-10, 04:18 PM
The Marine should be discharged and the president should be impeached.

jinelson
09-28-10, 05:50 PM
There goes a mouthful of beer LMFAO!

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x157/usmc3537/thsayLaughter02.gif

usmc3521
09-28-10, 06:11 PM
:beer::thumbup:

yanacek
09-28-10, 07:05 PM
I would say since Obama is the Commander-in-Chief, he is free to acknowledge the Marine's salute in any courteous manner he chooses.

Wyoming
09-28-10, 07:09 PM
So he shook the Marine's hand. BFD. Some people like making mountains out of mole hills.

Excellent Liberal quote.:banana::D:banana:

Kick that molehill into a smooth bed.

USNAviator
09-28-10, 07:47 PM
I served under 4 CiC's. Carter, Reagan ,Bush 1 and Clinton. In my opinion the best salute was snapped off by Reagan, the worst by Clinton

micarr57
09-28-10, 08:50 PM
i thought you were supposed to hold your salute until it was returned and then finish yours and the handshake was acceptible wouldn't you want to show your respect for the job the marine does for you and the country?

Mike326
09-29-10, 06:16 AM
I think protocol was maintained and it was a nice gesture by the CIC showing a mutual respect for the marine.

yanacek
09-29-10, 06:38 AM
i thought you were supposed to hold your salute until it was returned and then finish yours and the handshake was acceptable wouldn't you want to show your respect for the job the marine does for you and the country?

Think about that for a second. You're a Marine in uniform and you pass by a Marine officer in civilian clothing who you recognize. Since you are in uniform, you render a salute if you are covered. The officer in civilian clothing does not return your salute, rather he acknowledges it with a nod of his head. That is our naval tradition. Personally, I think it looks ridiculous for someone not in uniform to return a salute.

kenrobg30
09-29-10, 07:29 AM
I certainly wasn't intending to make a mountain out of it. Just was wondering. Eh, oh well.

Simple answer JD. The President is the Commander-in-Chief. He can do it any damned way he wants to !! The fact that He did it, makes it right, and proper. Do you know how many free drinks that hand-shake is getting that Marine ? :beer:;) S/F!! KEN

Rooger
09-29-10, 05:04 PM
Simple answer JD. The President is the Commander-in-Chief. He can do it any damned way he wants to !! The fact that He did it, makes it right, and proper. Do you know how many free drinks that hand-shake is getting that Marine ? :beer:;) S/F!! KEN
:thumbup:

JD0261
09-30-10, 01:08 AM

Right On!!! S/F - JD :marine:

hillbillyjar
09-30-10, 02:45 AM
I gotta go with Ken here. Free beer is free beer. If I feel the need to wash my hands before I drink that free beer, well, it's all part of the job.

Truth is, I distrust and dislike the man. I don't like what he is doing to the country I love. I believe his reaching out to shake the hand of a Marine (in full view of cameras) was nothing more than a good actor dressing a stage.

But, for the time being, he IS the Commander In Chief.

Not only did he do nothing wrong, but he did something good.

He should show proper respect to the men and women that let him be who he is.

If a President has not been a member of the Armed Forces, he (or she) should at least show respect to those who are.

ALL of the Presidents who were fighting men showed proper respect, and were given it, without question.