PDA

View Full Version : Telling my parents

Hockeyrebel7
09-27-10, 11:48 AM
i am 17, 18 next month and I have wanted to join the Marines for the last 4-5 years now. I am going to college right now for my first semester but I have no drive to be there. I have told my parents my interests in joining about 3 months ago. My mom is telling me that I need to finish college first and then if I still wanna join go ahead and join. My dad was in the Navy and he told my mom that it was a stupid idea. Well now I have figured it out that I want to enlist next month when I turn 18. I just don't know how to tell my parents. Any advice on how you told your parents would be great full. Thanks

Backhaus 1103
09-27-10, 12:05 PM
i am 17, 18 next month and I have wanted to join the Marines for the last 4-5 years now. I am going to college right now for my first semester but I have no drive to be there. I have told my parents my interests in joining about 3 months ago. My mom is telling me that I need to finish college first and then if I still wanna join go ahead and join. My dad was in the Navy and he told my mom that it was a stupid idea. Well now I have figured it out that I want to enlist next month when I turn 18. I just don't know how to tell my parents. Any advice on how you told your parents would be great full. Thanks

Dude, I was in almost the same exact situation as you two years ago. When my mom asked me what courses I was going to be taking for next semester I said I wasn't going back and that I enlisted in the Marine Corps. Haha they weren't happy about it, but they'll come around. They might be unhappy now, but just wait and see how proud they're going to be at your bootcamp graduation or when you come home on leave. My house is covered with Marine Corps moto sh!t right now, it's unbelievable.

So, just stand firm and say this is what you're doing with your life.

UMDStudent24
09-27-10, 06:00 PM
It is your decision to make, not that of your parents. However, it would be unwise to distance yourself from your parents at your age. As much as you think you're independent and capable of living without them, you're not as ready as you might believe. So, do your best not to alienate them.

Explain to them, as articulately as you can manage, that you don't wish to pursue college at this point in time. Explain that you wish to join the Marine Corps and ask them to allow you to explain why. Ask them to support you in your decision and that ultimately, while their input is important, it is your decision.

You're 18. You may find that you want to go back to college one day. You may find you love the Marine Corps and you make a career of it. You may hate the Marine Corps. It doesn't matter. Right now, you want to try it. Do it. Do your best to explain to your parents why you want to, but, again, keep in mind that it is your decision.

micarr57
09-27-10, 08:51 PM
you're 18 it's your call it's your decision tell your parents what you are going to do
talk about your reasons for joining they do it they'll come around

DrZ
09-27-10, 09:19 PM
Your parents see you as a child. Hell my Mom sees me as a child and I am probably older than your parents. There is nothing either of us can do about that. The best you can hope for is to get your parents to acknowledge that you are growing up. To do that... ask for some of their time to talk. Sit down with them and tell them how you see your life going. Where you see yourself in 10 years. Talk about the future like you have given it hours, days, years of thought. Once they start seeing this, explain to them that you want to become a Marine and give them your reasons. Tell them you are not saying you don't want to goto university but you want to defer it for a while.

Tell them you want to be a Marine and you would LIKE to have their blessing.

Prove to them you are an adult and things will go your way.

Good luck.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-28-10, 12:31 AM
Well said DrZ. Concur 100 percent.

Be prepared for much hair pulling and gnashing of teeth.

taylorcorey
09-28-10, 08:58 AM
I told my parents that they were either going to come with me at the time cause i was 17 and give me consent to join, or im just going to join on my own in a month.

They weren't to happy with my decision to join, but now see what the Corps have offered me are fully supportive of my career choice.