PDA

View Full Version : Advice(WARNING: content is insulting but the information here is to the point)

DevilDogsSon269
09-26-10, 08:22 PM
You know. If people would post information they find and use this forum instead of posting dumb ass things on Ask a Marine maybe the Marines would be happier to answer questions after you research. Many topics have been covered and you dumb **** bird new poolees are posting questions like wild fire about the dumbest of things and things that have been beyond covered. As far as I am concerned Marines on here wouldnt think of our generation of poolees as so dumb if you ****ers werent so lazy and researched or actually read old posts. You could perhaps even make these Marines beleive that we arent as dumb as you make us look. GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND DO SOMETHING ON YOUR OWN THE MARINES ON HERE ARE HERE TO CLEAR UP GREYS AND HELP NOT BABY OUR ASSES THROUGH BOOTCAMP AND LIFE! GROW UP YOU JOINED THE MARINE CORPS NOT THE CHAIRFORCE(NO PUN INTENDED ON AIRFORCE NOR DIRECTED TOWARD JUST LIKED THE NAME AND MAKES A GOOD XBOX WARRIOR PUN)

I dont mean to bash other poolees or to make anyone mad but Im tired of seeing the same posts of stuff I have even made a specific thread for and centralized a ton of INFO for the subject. I am tired of seeing repeats, tired of seeing marines bashing on our generation because of our laziness, ignorance etc. I am just trying to make a point here. SERIOUSLY only post after you have researched and after you have really tried finding what you need. I am sorry if this offends but frankly it sickens me to be put in the category by Marines that I dont belong in just because of contin ued ignorance, it sickens me to see laziness and honestly Im not one of these Marines yet but seeing the repeats constantly is really getting old.

ScarSniper
09-26-10, 08:48 PM
You know. If people would post information they find and use this forum instead of posting dumb ass things on Ask a Marine maybe the Marines would be happier to answer questions after you research. Many topics have been covered and you dumb **** bird new poolees are posting questions like wild fire about the dumbest of things and things that have been beyond covered. As far as I am concerned Marines on here wouldnt think of our generation of poolees as so dumb if you ****ers werent so lazy and researched or actually read old posts. You could perhaps even make these Marines beleive that we arent as dumb as you make us look. GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND DO SOMETHING ON YOUR OWN THE MARINES ON HERE ARE HERE TO CLEAR UP GREYS AND HELP NOT BABY OUR ASSES THROUGH BOOTCAMP AND LIFE! GROW UP YOU JOINED THE MARINE CORPS NOT THE CHAIRFORCE(NO PUN INTENDED ON AIRFORCE NOR DIRECTED TOWARD JUST LIKED THE NAME AND MAKES A GOOD XBOX WARRIOR PUN)

I dont mean to bash other poolees or to make anyone mad but Im tired of seeing the same posts of stuff I have even made a specific thread for and centralized a ton of INFO for the subject. I am tired of seeing repeats, tired of seeing marines bashing on our generation because of our laziness, ignorance etc. I am just trying to make a point here. SERIOUSLY only post after you have researched and after you have really tried finding what you need. I am sorry if this offends but frankly it sickens me to be put in the category by Marines that I dont belong in just because of contin ued ignorance, it sickens me to see laziness and honestly Im not one of these Marines yet but seeing the repeats constantly is really getting old.

Agreed. Which is why i'll never 'Ask a Marine' anything. Look it up myself. Better then to repeat posts.

tblake87
09-26-10, 08:59 PM
I agree with this full-heartily. One of the main reasons I don't have many posts on the forum is, of the dozen and dozen of questions I've had, 99% of them I have found by actually searching. There has only been one time I've not been able to find an answer and asked the Marines. I don't really understand why so many poolees/wannabes want the Marines to hold their hand every step of the way while they are in DEP or even beforehand. I think we all know that sure as hell isn't going to happen in boot camp and when we earn the title. But, I digress. They'll get a rude awakening.

Rough Hands
09-26-10, 09:32 PM
I'll admit I've made posts in the 'Ask A Marine' forum, but all of them were questions that hadn't be covered before (though they have since been repeated by new members unwilling to make proper use of the search function). I did research independently for almost a year while I was trying to drop weight, and I found out everything that I absolutely needed to know about the Marine Corps.

:evilgrin: Advice to new poolees:

1. Google is your friend. It has a search function; use it.
2. Bookstores and libraries are also powerful allies. Use those too.
3. This message board is full of information and it has a search function. USE IT.
4. Ask your recruiter!
5. Recruiter don't know? Talk to Gunny!
6. Still nothing? Repeat steps 1-5.
7. If all else fails when you absolutely must have an answer to a question that you've been unable to answer via independent research AND the question may have a significant impact on you and/or your Marine Corps career THEN and ONLY THEN should you consider the 'Ask A Marine' forum.

Hang in there, DevilDogsSon. We know exactly how you feel. :thumbup:

Aitrus
09-26-10, 09:43 PM

:thumbup:

The amount of information available on the internet is astounding. The lack of willingness among people to do a simple search for it is also astounding.

-Poolee Pike

RBrouse
09-26-10, 09:48 PM
Ya I got my rude awakening awhile ago, when I had my first question I searched it on google (thats how I found this website) and some one had a similar question. But it didnt give the answer I was looking for, so I did search on this website first but couldn't find another thread even related to my question. so I made an account and went directly to make a thread. Never do this READ THE RULES. I have never been on a fourm before so I went straight in and asked my question. I made a lot of grammer and spelling mistakes, which I'm still not good at, but all the did was rip on me for it. I took that to heart, asked again and did it right and I got my answer (Except WMarine still got on my case for not capitalizing a couple times I said "I") But ya I have to say I made my mistake but I learned from it and quickly.

Rough Hands
09-26-10, 09:57 PM
(Except WMarine still got on my case for not capitalizing a couple times I said "I")

Majority of new members will have some kind of similar encounter. Just think of it as your official "welcome" into the Leatherneck community. :D

RBrouse
09-26-10, 09:59 PM
Haha, ya I found that out the hard way.

wilsontc11
09-26-10, 10:03 PM
The Ask A Marine section is there for a reason.... no matter how "useless" you may find some of the questions there, other people DON'T know as much about the subject as you do.

Has it ever crossed your mind that they want to ask actual Marines questions instead of looking it up off of some shady looking website or something? Not saying that all of the answers are bad, but id rather hear it from a reputable source (I trust Marines on leatherneck) rather than anywhere else. That brings up the point of "using the search bar" that pops up on like 75% of the questions. The section is there to ask Marines questions, not for people to get all anal because the question was asked before... come on, its not like a repeated question is going to fry anyones eyes out, its the internet...

ScarSniper
09-26-10, 10:09 PM
The Ask A Marine section is there for a reason.... no matter how "useless" you may find some of the questions there, other people DON'T know as much about the subject as you do.

Has it ever crossed your mind that they want to ask actual Marines questions instead of looking it up off of some shady looking website or something? Not saying that all of the answers are bad, but id rather hear it from a reputable source (I trust Marines on leatherneck) rather than anywhere else. That brings up the point of "using the search bar" that pops up on like 75% of the questions. The section is there to ask Marines questions, not for people to get all anal because the question was asked before... come on, its not like a repeated question is going to fry anyones eyes out, its the internet...

Ok. You're wrong. Lots of times the Marines will reply by saying, "Ask your recruiter." I've seen it. Another thing? Yes. It does fry the eyes. When a poolee doesn't have the INITIATIVE to do a thorough search for something, and he finds himself asking a question that was asked before in slightly different form, it tells us something about him. Lazy. Unmotivated. Unwilling to do. the work. Also, the rules clearly state not to double post. So Add rule breaking to the list. The search bar can be narrowed down if you know what you're looking for, I have done it countless times in the month that i've been here. And if you trust Marines on an internet site more then your own recruiters who you can see and speak to face to face? Well, I don't know what to say. But double-posting is annoying, unnecessary, time consuming, and we're sick of it.

wilsontc11
09-26-10, 10:23 PM
Ok. You're wrong. Lots of times the Marines will reply by saying, "Ask your recruiter." I've seen it. Another thing? Yes. It does fry the eyes. When a poolee doesn't have the INITIATIVE to do a thorough search for something, and he finds himself asking a question that was asked before in slightly different form, it tells us something about him. Lazy. Unmotivated. Unwilling to do. the work.How am I wrong...? The Ask A Marine section isn't for Asking Marines questions? And to me, them saying "ask a recruiter" is a great answer. Same with "we aren't doctors at MEPS", or anything else like that. Atleast they answered those questions instead of saying use the search function. And really? You're going to brand someone as lazy and unmotivated because they didn't use the search function on an internet forum........?

Also, the rules clearly state not to double post. So Add rule breaking to the list. The search bar can be narrowed down if you know what you're looking for, I have done it countless times in the month that i've been here. And if you trust Marines on an internet site more then your own recruiters who you can see and speak to face to face? Well, I don't know what to say. But double-posting is annoying, unnecessary, time consuming, and we're sick of it.I never said anything about double posting... and yeah, i've used search quite a bit too.

and I never said that either... I'm talking about strictly internet information gathering. I've asked my recruiter plenty of things that I haven't asked on here. I trust my recruiter more than the people on here lol, but that doesn't mean I can't ask questions on here instead and get good answers. Not to mention ALOT of the people that use that section aren't even poolees, they're people thinking about enlisting.

RBrouse
09-26-10, 10:31 PM
Ok. You're wrong. Lots of times the Marines will reply by saying, "Ask your recruiter." I've seen it. Another thing? Yes. It does fry the eyes. When a poolee doesn't have the INITIATIVE to do a thorough search for something, and he finds himself asking a question that was asked before in slightly different form, it tells us something about him. Lazy. Unmotivated. Unwilling to do. the work. Also, the rules clearly state not to double post. So Add rule breaking to the list. The search bar can be narrowed down if you know what you're looking for, I have done it countless times in the month that i've been here. And if you trust Marines on an internet site more then your own recruiters who you can see and speak to face to face? Well, I don't know what to say. But double-posting is annoying, unnecessary, time consuming, and we're sick of it.

I agree with you about the double post to an extent, but some times it is nice to ask a Marine if you cant find the exact answer. Also when I had my question I couldnt get a hold of my recruiter, and I did ask him later and he didnt know the answer and had to look it up and got back to me two days later. So I think sometimes it is ok to want to ask your own question. Isn't that what a fourm is about to bring to gether different people with differing view points and knowlege?

Rough Hands
09-26-10, 10:33 PM

None of us said that the Ask A Marine section is useless - quite the opposite. It's just that many of the Marines get tired of spouting off the same answers to questions that have previously been asked and they themselves say to read the rules and use the search function; we are only advocating that advice. I trust the Marines here as well, but I also take into consideration that for every reply they make, they are taking their personal time to answer those redundant and repetitive questions. How many Marines do think have stopped even paying attention to that forum simply because of the same questions being asked over and over again?

Also, the point of doing your own research is not to just get everything you need to know from one source, but from multiple sources, that way you can confirm whether or not that information is legitimate, no?

It is the internet, but that's no excuse for lack of initiative (or proper grammar for that matter).

ScarSniper
09-26-10, 10:35 PM
How am I wrong...? The Ask A Marine section isn't for Asking Marines questions? And to me, them saying "ask a recruiter" is a great answer. Same with "we aren't doctors at MEPS", or anything else like that. Atleast they answered those questions instead of saying use the search function. And really? You're going to brand someone as lazy and unmotivated because they didn't use the search function on an internet forum........?

I never said anything about double posting... and yeah, i've used search quite a bit too.

and I never said that either... I'm talking about strictly internet information gathering. I've asked my recruiter plenty of things that I haven't asked on here. I trust my recruiter more than the people on here lol, but that doesn't mean I can't ask questions on here instead and get good answers. Not to mention ALOT of the people that use that section aren't even poolees, they're people thinking about enlisting.

Alright. lol. You've got a point about those who are not poolees, but I'm sticking to my guns. You're still wrong. ;) Why? Because Devildogson was talking about double-posting. That's what this thread was originated about. He also was stating that those who do ask a Marine should only do so as a last resort. So don't blast the fort and you know what? I've changed my mind. lol. So what if they aren't poolees? Poolees aren't an evolved lifeform of humans, are we? No. So. They can learn just as well as we can, and do their own research, or better yet? That interested? WALK INTO A RECRUITING OFFICE. That's what I did. And yes, I will brand someone as lazy for not doing their own research, the internet is here for a reason, use it, losers. But HEY! If you really disagree then I employ you! Ask a Marine as much as you want, double post! Hell, quadruple post! Just don't get butt-hurt when those same Marines you ask cut your ass for redundancy. :D

Rough Hands
09-26-10, 10:41 PM
Ask a Marine as much as you want, double post! Hell, quadruple post! Just don't get butt-hurt when those same Marines you ask cut your ass for redundancy. :D
And I think that's the exact point that we're all trying to make... :thumbup:

DevilDogsSon269
09-27-10, 12:13 AM
You see what I love... wilson who has been on for about a few months hasnt gotten that mindset ofa recruit yet. The other posters: SENIOR POOLEES aks people getting ready to ship have learned the ropes on this site... I expected a lot of negative feed back but I forgot that Many of the active poolees on this site have a good mind on their shoulders.

Wilson, many of those sites you speak of that you can fin d the information on are either Marine Corps, Government, Military, or military/mil. Family run sites. The places you dont look are places like non sponsered forums or accredited or on sites that dont properly source their findings. You are exactly what I said in the post LAZY. You joined the Marine Corps not the Donut Brigade.... many answers on AAM consist of ask your recruiter, use the search bar, or your question(this is to categorize the responses) is pointless worry about graduating boot camp first. The point I was making was:

1. quit being lazy use a search bar or google.
2. after searching if your information isnt found that you require... then and only then inquire on the poolee or AAM forum depending on the subject.
3. this is the Marine Corps your an adult now act like one and take some initiative and quit expecting to be babied, WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD.

DevilDogsSon269
09-27-10, 12:17 AM
The main point here is to save you the trouble and head ache of getting hazed.

To make sure we cut down on redundant posts.

Help improve the intellect of fellow poolees by allowing them to learn on their own and take some responsibility. Many of the marines on this site look at our generation with a bad name labeled to it.

As poolees we look after our own just like in the real Marine Corps... the mere point here is to make sure you become a better Marine, and mature to be ready to become one. The recruiters and drill instructors arent the only ones who help you become a Marine... you and your fellow recruit and poolees chip away and chisel out the shape of the Marine you will become. Good luck poolees.

DevilDogsSon269
09-27-10, 12:25 AM
I'll admit I've made posts in the 'Ask A Marine' forum, but all of them were questions that hadn't be covered before (though they have since been repeated by new members unwilling to make proper use of the search function). I did research independently for almost a year while I was trying to drop weight, and I found out everything that I absolutely needed to know about the Marine Corps.

:evilgrin: Advice to new poolees:

1. Google is your friend. It has a search function; use it.
2. Bookstores and libraries are also powerful allies. Use those too.
3. This message board is full of information and it has a search function. USE IT.
4. Ask your recruiter!
5. Recruiter don't know? Talk to Gunny!
6. Still nothing? Repeat steps 1-5.
7. If all else fails when you absolutely must have an answer to a question that you've been unable to answer via independent research AND the question may have a significant impact on you and/or your Marine Corps career THEN and ONLY THEN should you consider the 'Ask A Marine' forum.

Hang in there, DevilDogsSon. We know exactly how you feel. :thumbup:

well put and great advice! I doubt i could have said it any better.

Tony Fleri
09-27-10, 12:36 AM

This is the internet man...I agree with you but no matter you do or say there will always be people that dont care. straight up this is the internet and just a forum that people come to looking for info. It would be a nice change to see but we cant help everything.

wilsontc11
09-27-10, 01:13 AM
None of us said that the Ask A Marine section is useless - quite the opposite. It's just that many of the Marines get tired of spouting off the same answers to questions that have previously been asked and they themselves say to read the rules and use the search function; we are only advocating that advice. I trust the Marines here as well, but I also take into consideration that for every reply they make, they are taking their personal time to answer those redundant and repetitive questions. How many Marines do think have stopped even paying attention to that forum simply because of the same questions being asked over and over again?I wasn't implying that anyone thought that. I was talking about some of the questions that you guys may find useless.

If they're tired of answering the same questions over and over, they don't HAVE to answer them... and that is exactly what I am saying. They don't have to read that forum at all. I would agree with you about the redundant questions if it was the same person asking the same questions over and over, but it isn't.. yes, the search function is a great tool, but people shouldn't be losing sleep over others asking questions that have been asked before.

Also, the point of doing your own research is not to just get everything you need to know from one source, but from multiple sources, that way you can confirm whether or not that information is legitimate, no?

It is the internet, but that's no excuse for lack of initiative (or proper grammar for that matter).I wasn't necessarily implying that every website has bad credibility besides leatherneck, and I have done my own research as well, but your statement leads me back to my original post: The Ask A Marine section is there for a reason. Just because you can find answers elsewhere doesn't mean you can't ask there instead... it doesn't make a person lazy or unmotivated to ask a Marine a question.

And come on. This isn't English class, it's a public forum. As long as what you type is eligible, I don't see why bad grammar should be a problem.

Alright. lol. You've got a point about those who are not poolees, but I'm sticking to my guns. You're still wrong. Why? Because Devildogson was talking about double-posting. That's what this thread was originated about. He also was stating that those who do ask a Marine should only do so as a last resort. So don't blast the fort and you know what? I've changed my mind. lol. So what if they aren't poolees? Poolees aren't an evolved lifeform of humans, are we? No. So. They can learn just as well as we can, and do their own research, or better yet? That interested? WALK INTO A RECRUITING OFFICE. That's what I did. And yes, I will brand someone as lazy for not doing their own research, the internet is here for a reason, use it, losers. But HEY! If you really disagree then I employ you! Ask a Marine as much as you want, double post! Hell, quadruple post! Just don't get butt-hurt when those same Marines you ask cut your ass for redundancy. Yeah, and you quoted me.... Neither of us is right or wrong on that point, it was just a miscommunication.

If they aren't poolees, there much more likely to actually call a recruiter and ask him a question. I'm not trying to say there is some super crazy difference between a poolee and someone that is interested aobut joining.

Yeah, calling a recruiter is a great way to get information, walking into an office is even better, its what I did, and no one is disagreeing with that. And so is doing your own research. But Ask A Marine isn't a "last resort". A great form of research is not only reading articles, information, etc, but also asking the people that have been there and done that too...

In fact, you actually contradict yourself in your post. You're saying that they should be walking into recruiting offices, calling, etc. But then you say "the internet is here for a reason, use it, losers". That is EXACTLY what people do when they post a thread in Ask A Marine. Leatherneck.com is part of the internet, and so is that section.

And I have never double posted in my life. I don't know why you keep bringing that up, all I have argued about is repeated questions in Ask A Marine. I'm not arguing that double posting is okay.. and the one question I DID ask in Ask A Marine, I made sure no one had asked it before...

You see what I love... wilson who has been on for about a few months hasnt gotten that mindset ofa recruit yet. The other posters: SENIOR POOLEES aks people getting ready to ship have learned the ropes on this site... I expected a lot of negative feed back but I forgot that Many of the active poolees on this site have a good mind on their shoulders. lol. wow, I didn't think it was possible to associate an ego with being a Marine Corps poolee. We aren't even ****ing recruits yet. And FYI, I've been in the DEP for a little under 8 months. I ship in 17 days. I've probably been in longer than most of the poolees that are waiting to ship out that are still on here.

You think you're going to be better to a DI than the guy next to you that didn't memorize his General Orders? or a guy that is having trouble with marching? No, we are all going to be equally ****. So please, when you ship, leave your ego on the bus. You know what they teach you at Boot Camp? Discipline, and you had NONE when you made this thread. So don't tell me about "getting in the recruit mindset"

Wilson, many of those sites you speak of that you can fin d the information on are either Marine Corps, Government, Military, or military/mil. Family run sites. The places you dont look are places like non sponsered forums or accredited or on sites that dont properly source their findings. You are exactly what I said in the post LAZY. You joined the Marine Corps not the Donut Brigade.... many answers on AAM consist of ask your recruiter, use the search bar, or your question(this is to categorize the responses) is pointless worry about graduating boot camp first. The point I was making was:Yeah, a great Marine Corps site to find good information on is.... LEATHERNECK.COM!

Lol, I am lazy? You don't know me. Please, don't insult me because I disagree with you. ESPECIALLY about something as USELESS as whether people post redundant questions or not. And I don't know if you actually read the questions there, but a lot of the ones I have seen are people wanting to know if they have a shot at getting a waiver or if they possibly need one due to whatever. And maybe you should take your own advice about graduating boot camp first before anything else...

1. quit being lazy use a search bar or google.
2. after searching if your information isnt found that you require... then and only then inquire on the poolee or AAM forum depending on the subject.
3. this is the Marine Corps your an adult now act like one and take some initiative and quit expecting to be babied, WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD.

1. Yeah, you can do that. I've done it myself. You can also use the ASK A MARINE section if you want, since you know, thats what its there for...

2. And yeah, thats exactly what I have done in the past. What i've been saying is its not the end of the world if someone asks a question thats been asked before.

3. This is NOT the Marine Corps. This is an internet forum, where a HUGE majority of the people we are talking about aren't even enlisted. Yes we are almost all adults on here, but you tell me whats worse though:

Asking a question and hoping to get an answer because you saw a section called "Ask A Marine:

or

Someone whining about people in his generation trying to get answers, but overlook the fact that they can just search half of the time and find it.

With all due respect, it was the most baby like thing you could have done about it. You are right though, we are joining the Marine Corps not the Donut Brigade. So you need to suck it up and deal with it instead of whining about it, which frankly is what a lot of you are doing. This is a internet forum... if you don't like it, don't read it. its that simple.

Aitrus
09-27-10, 02:23 AM
Hey, none of us poolees are in authority over anyone else in here. However, even if presented somewhat roughly (though the title of the thread mentioned that) there was some good advice given here in the thread. Nobody can force anyone else to use that advice, but if you want to avoid more chewings (not speaking to you in particular Wilson, just poolees in general) and not bug people, and also make the Marine on here more willing and happy to answer questions... It's a good idea to research it yourself beforehand, THEN after you've found what you can online, ask the Marines here what you want. It's your choice though, I certainly can't force you to do anything.

Let's take a look at just the latest 3 pages of the Ask a Marine forum, to see some examples of this repetition that is being discussed.

There are: 5 threads that basically asked "What MOS should I pick?"

6 threads about UV Security Forces

2 about becoming a Marine Officer (I know for certain there's quite a few more recent one's about this just a few pages past #3, because I have been in contact with people interested in going the officer route telling them what I know because I was strongly considering that once in a while. Been at least 5 more in the past few months)

That's just a few examples... The earliest post in the Ask a Marine forum dates back to March 30th '06. That's a lot of threads made during that time. If my math is correct, there's been somewhere about 1642 days since then, and with 211 pages and 25 threads per page it's about 5275 threads made since then. That averages to more than 3 threads made every single day in the Ask a Marine forum, for the last 4 and a half years.

Not trying to sound smart or anything, and I'm probably somewhat off anyways. My point is... There are a LOT of questions that have been answered in here, and a LOT of repeated questions about various subjects that can easily be found with the search function. Take advantage of it, take advantage of other resources found online, help end the huge amount of chewing out that takes place on here.

One more thing to address:

And come on. This isn't English class, it's a public forum. As long as what you type is eligible, I don't see why bad grammar should be a problem.

In one of the sticky threads at the top of this forum, the owner of the website states:

I see many poolees and wannabes are not paying attention to detail. This place is looking completely UNSAT!

From here on out, you must use proper grammer and punctuation. Examples on a post:

Incorrect
how many pullups should i do

Correct
How many pullups should I do?

If you do not adhere to these rules your post will be deleted.

Carry on.

Jerry

(Again, Wilson, I'm not talking to you in particular here, your last post there looks fine. Just addressing what you said) We all make the occasional spelling or grammar mistake, no one cares about that. But if it's obvious that the person isn't even trying, then they are going against the rules the administrators have laid down on this site. But more than that, to many people, when we see a post in which the author obviously doesn't care anything about his spelling or grammer, we automatically lose some respect for the poster. You no longer look like an intelligent adult that someone would want to converse with, instead you look like that 12 year old who shouldn't be allowed to use the internet and spends to much time on X-Box live. So ESPECIALLY when posting in the Ask a Marine forum, follow site rules and gain peoples respect by typing intelligent posts. This is made easier when using a browser like Mozilla Firefox which has an automatic spell checker.

That's just my $0.2 anyways. Enough rambling from me, time to get some sleep.

Stay moto, :thumbup:
-Poolee Pike

wilsontc11
09-27-10, 02:48 AM
Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I don't think I ever saw that post, just the rules that were listed below by jinelson. Sorry Rough Hands, I was wrong there.

wilsontc11
09-27-10, 02:59 AM
Meant to say this: Yeah for sure, that is exactly how I look at it. Don't get me wrong, doing research is the best choice, but people shouldn't be getting all worked up over seeing repetitive questions, ESPECIALLY if they're not even the ones answering them IMO. Not to mention, a lot of the repetitive threads I have seen actually have Marines that are happy to answer the question, though I haven't looked at the majority of them.

And thank you for pointing that out. I don't think I ever saw that rule. Sorry Rough Hands, I was wrong there.

edit button wasn't working :thumbdown

19jphill87
09-27-10, 07:55 AM
First off if new poolees would read the forum rules this thread would be useless as everything here as all ready been covered. But I guess some need 1.2.3.4 reminders.

Rough Hands
09-27-10, 01:39 PM
Hey, none of us poolees are in authority over anyone else in here. However, even if presented somewhat roughly (though the title of the thread mentioned that) there was some good advice given here in the thread. Nobody can force anyone else to use that advice, but if you want to avoid more chewings (not speaking to you in particular Wilson, just poolees in general) and not bug people, and also make the Marine on here more willing and happy to answer questions... It's a good idea to research it yourself beforehand, THEN after you've found what you can online, ask the Marines here what you want. It's your choice though, I certainly can't force you to do anything.

Let's take a look at just the latest 3 pages of the Ask a Marine forum, to see some examples of this repetition that is being discussed.

There are: 5 threads that basically asked "What MOS should I pick?"

6 threads about UV Security Forces

2 about becoming a Marine Officer (I know for certain there's quite a few more recent one's about this just a few pages past #3, because I have been in contact with people interested in going the officer route telling them what I know because I was strongly considering that once in a while. Been at least 5 more in the past few months)

That's just a few examples... The earliest post in the Ask a Marine forum dates back to March 30th '06. That's a lot of threads made during that time. If my math is correct, there's been somewhere about 1642 days since then, and with 211 pages and 25 threads per page it's about 5275 threads made since then. That averages to more than 3 threads made every single day in the Ask a Marine forum, for the last 4 and a half years.

Not trying to sound smart or anything, and I'm probably somewhat off anyways. My point is... There are a LOT of questions that have been answered in here, and a LOT of repeated questions about various subjects that can easily be found with the search function. Take advantage of it, take advantage of other resources found online, help end the huge amount of chewing out that takes place on here.

One more thing to address:

In one of the sticky threads at the top of this forum, the owner of the website states:

(Again, Wilson, I'm not talking to you in particular here, your last post there looks fine. Just addressing what you said) We all make the occasional spelling or grammar mistake, no one cares about that. But if it's obvious that the person isn't even trying, then they are going against the rules the administrators have laid down on this site. But more than that, to many people, when we see a post in which the author obviously doesn't care anything about his spelling or grammer, we automatically lose some respect for the poster. You no longer look like an intelligent adult that someone would want to converse with, instead you look like that 12 year old who shouldn't be allowed to use the internet and spends to much time on X-Box live. So ESPECIALLY when posting in the Ask a Marine forum, follow site rules and gain peoples respect by typing intelligent posts. This is made easier when using a browser like Mozilla Firefox which has an automatic spell checker.

That's just my $0.2 anyways. Enough rambling from me, time to get some sleep.

Stay moto, :thumbup:
-Poolee Pike

Some of us are a little more blunt than others when it comes to making a point (although there's no reason to make an example out of a fellow poolee and resort to getting personal) but I think this post sums up everything we've been trying to get at in the last page. Well said, poolee!

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I don't think I ever saw that post, just the rules that were listed below by jinelson. Sorry Rough Hands, I was wrong there.

No harm, no foul. :thumbup:

Now, let's all go take that pent-up aggression and put it to good use on the ol' pull-up bar! Stay motivated, poolees.

ScarSniper
09-27-10, 02:10 PM
Some of us are a little more blunt than others when it comes to making a point (although there's no reason to make an example out of a fellow poolee and resort to getting personal) but I think this post sums up everything we've been trying to get at in the last page. Well said, poolee!

No harm, no foul. :thumbup:

Now, let's all go take that pent-up aggression and put it to good use on the ol' pull-up bar! Stay motivated, poolees.

:evilgrin: "Grrr. Bunch'a'pansy-ass boot-licking poolees with no salt in their blood. What's my beloved Marine Corps coming to?" - Something some salty Marine somewhere would say.

For all you poolees who took this post a bit too personal? I have Pepper-jack, and I have mozzarella. Hell, I've even got some grade A Provolone. So tell me? What kind of cheese would you like with that W(h)ine?

RBrouse
09-27-10, 04:23 PM
:evilgrin: "Grrr. Bunch'a'pansy-ass boot-licking poolees with no salt in their blood. What's my beloved Marine Corps coming to?" - Something some salty Marine somewhere would say.

For all you poolees who took this post a bit too personal? I have Pepper-jack, and I have mozzarella. Hell, I've even got some grade A Provolone. So tell me? What kind of cheese would you like with that W(h)ine?
:thumbup:
also (somthing i just kind of realized) if you are calling people lazy for not doing reaserch. How did they find this site? They had to find it through trying to do reaserch and found this to be a good reaserch tool.

VanderFool
09-27-10, 05:02 PM
This is Hilarious. People fighting over the internet is so funny, especially over something so silly.

Steve018
09-27-10, 07:08 PM
I agree, the "Ask a Marine" section should be last resort. Besides our obvious source of answers (our recruiters) there are a lot of decent websites with helpful info, I've learned a hell of a lot from other websites.And of course theres the search function for the forum, if you have a question, theres a high chance that some other poolees thought the same exact thing. I'm probably a little guilty lol but I can see how it can get irritating.

younger223
09-27-10, 07:10 PM
Dang.

Anyway, http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/marinejobs.htm answered 80% of my questions!

DevilDogsSon269
09-27-10, 10:06 PM
This is the internet man...I agree with you but no matter you do or say there will always be people that dont care. straight up this is the internet and just a forum that people come to looking for info. It would be a nice change to see but we cant help everything.

I understand fully what you mean but keep in mind this was merely to sway them to be wiser

DevilDogsSon269
09-27-10, 11:13 PM
Ok so I am going to put it this way. <br />
<br />
I posted this as advice. I un derstand you may have been a poolee for 8 months and yeah I aint **** in the DIs mirror. The point is... Many of the Marines who...

wilsontc11
09-27-10, 11:32 PM
yeah... it was pretty dumb of me to argue about it (especially when its over something on the internet, lol) when its just 2 differing opinions. and yeah im going into infantry too, but you cant really compare people not using the search function to people being killed in combat.... and you are definitely right that joining isn't a game, and thats what boot camp/the DEP are for. weeding out the xbox warriors.

hopefully there was no harm done with my post, didnt mean for it to be hostile or aggressive. if there was, sorry

DevilDogsSon269
09-28-10, 01:27 AM
yeah... it was pretty dumb of me to argue about it (especially when its over something on the internet, lol) when its just 2 differing opinions. and yeah im going into infantry too, but you cant really compare people not using the search function to people being killed in combat.... and you are definitely right that joining isn't a game, and thats what boot camp/the DEP are for. weeding out the xbox warriors.

hopefully there was no harm done with my post, didnt mean for it to be hostile or aggressive. if there was, sorry

Its cool. Just think meaning and motive was lost in the post and what was said. As far as the Marine being killed comparison... that is how it is a boot camp from what I heard. Every time you screw up you kill a fellow Marine. I can see what they mean by it though. In combat if you dont pay attention you could get men killed. If you run one way and your Marines are going another boom they die. Its the seconds in decision making in war that kill or be killed.

Like I said I am going to repost or reply with a revised version of this post to perhaps fix the havoc caused.

Aurelius33
09-30-10, 02:05 PM
I definitely agree, and there seems to have been a lot of ridiculous and redundant questions recently. But to be fair, Poolee Needham, I used to see you post quite a bit in Ask A Marine, much of it being questions that could have been answered elsewhere.

With that being said, all of the new poolees should heed this sound advice.

ScarSniper
09-30-10, 03:35 PM
Get it? Virtually breaking their foot off in your asses? Virtual? Because it's the internet? hahahhaa :bunny:

DevilDogsSon269
09-30-10, 07:39 PM
I definitely agree, and there seems to have been a lot of ridiculous and redundant questions recently. But to be fair, Poolee Needham, I used to see you post quite a bit in Ask A Marine, much of it being questions that could have been answered elsewhere.

With that being said, all of the new poolees should heed this sound advice.

This passed summer's events, somethings we talk about at PT amongst other things such as my ass getting ridden by WMarine and a few others has made a LOT of changes in how I work on here as well as gaining the time and ability to actually search instead of just post. From experience I am giving this advice which in all honesty makes this all the more vital for newer poolees who think I talk out of my ass. THIS IS FROM EXPERIENCE. As Aurelius said take heed.

DevilDogsSon269
09-30-10, 07:44 PM
Get it? Virtually breaking their foot off in your asses? Virtual? Because it's the internet? hahahhaa :bunny:
Thats how it was meant whats it to ya? I think its better than a DI's real boot no ;)

So anyways....

Zumbii
09-30-10, 07:55 PM
You people are nuts

DevilDogsSon269
09-30-10, 11:12 PM
and how are we nuts?

Tony Fleri
10-02-10, 01:24 AM
You people are nuts

Agreed...everyone should get over this! its becoming to much of a big deal