PDA

View Full Version : Camp Foster Marine avoids jail after mugging

thedrifter
09-26-03, 07:32 PM
Camp Foster Marine avoids jail after mugging

By Chiyomi Sumida, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Friday, September 26, 2003

NAHA, Okinawa — A Camp Foster Marine was sentenced to three years in prison Wednesday for mugging a 19-year-old Okinawa man in May.

But Pvt. 1st Class Jake Boyer, 20, of Headquarters and Service Battalion, won’t serve any prison time.

Naha District Court Judge Masashi Kurihara suspended the prison term for four years — a year longer than the sentence he issued — on condition of good behavior.

Boyer previously pleaded guilty to attacking Tetsuya Tanaka, of Okinawa City, on a back street in a bar district near Kadena Air Base Gate 2.

During the sentencing, Kurihara said Boyer and Lance Cpl. Michael Enriquez, 21, of the same battalion, conspired to assault Tanaka just after midnight May 2, attacking him from behind. After knocking him to the ground, they kicked him in the head and back and then stole 500 yen (about $4.40) and a bandana.

“Together with his accomplice, he attacked a defenseless, total stranger,” Kurihara said. “They even chased the victim into a deserted alley at midnight and further attacked him.”

The nature of the crime was extremely vicious and the fear the victim had experienced was immeasurable, he said.

“There is no extenuating reason for this attack,” he said. “However, he frankly confessed his guilt, expressed his repentance and paid 50,000 yen [about $450] compensation to the victim.

“The court also considered that the defendant was 19 years old at the time of committing the crime, and that he had no previous conviction.”

Under Japanese law, a person younger than 20 is considered a minor. Boyer was first sent to Naha Family Court before the case was forwarded in June to district court.

Enriquez was sentenced in August to three years in prison, also suspended for four years.

“We decided to suspend the execution of the prison term with expectation that you would pull yourself together and strive to become a good, law-abiding citizen,” Kurihara told Boyer before closing the hearing.

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=17702

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

yellowwing
09-26-03, 08:47 PM
His CO and NCOs must have gone to bat for him. He better not disappoint them!

firstsgtmike
09-26-03, 09:49 PM
NO! <br />
<br />
The thing that got him off was his payment of 50,000 Yen. <br />
<br />
I assume that an Article 32 Investigation has, or will be conducted. <br />
<br />
After that, his true status will be determined; No Charges,...

catrusler
09-28-03, 10:29 PM
Hmm... He was lucky..very lucky

lurchenstein
09-29-03, 01:19 AM
Remembering my tour on Okinawa (76-77), I recall an incident where a young Marine tryed to mug a middle-aged cab driver. "Master" cabbie beat the young Marine's arse severely and on top of it, the Marine got some "time" for the incident.

firstsgtmike
09-29-03, 02:31 AM
I speak as a Marine stationed overseas. I speak as an ex-pat living overseas. How we act, what we do, is a reflection of the group we are identified with.

What a Marine does, positive or negative, reflects on the Marine Corps. Unless of course, he is viewed as an American. Then his actions are viewed as; "Americans are this, or Americans are that."

(When I screw up, I make it a point to tell people that I am British.)

Devildogg4ever
09-29-03, 03:56 AM
I agree with you, firstsgtmike! Everything we say and do does represent us! We were often reminded of this when I served there, or anywhere, overseas! What I can't figure out is why they have done this crime? Doesn't say anything of being drunk! So does this mean they knew excactly what they were doing??