PDA

View Full Version : 'Chosin Few' Honored With New Monument

Wrench3516
09-24-10, 06:00 PM
:usmc:

‘Chosin Few’ Honored With New Monument

September 19, 2010
Marine Corps News|by Lance Cpl. Michelle S. Mattei <!-- Uncomment this when the Jive comments functionality is available -->

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. -- More than 250 attendees gathered on the grounds of Camp Pendleton's South Mesa Club, Sept. 15, to unveil a new Chosin Reservoir monument donated in remembrance of the heroes who served through the harsh climates of the Korean War.

The surviving heroes, known as the "Chosin Few," stood out gallantly among the crowd of Marines, sailors and distinguished guests who attended the ceremony. This day marked the 60th anniversary of Operation Chromite; the dangerous and difficult amphibious landing at Inchon, Korea, Sept. 15, 1950.

The 3,000 pound granite monument is a tribute to the more than 4,400 Marines and soldiers who did not survive overwhelming odds and the 35 degrees below zero weather. It stands to remind those present of the military's service and sacrifice during the reservoir's bitter campaign in which the 1st Marine Division fought a prodigious battle.

As Gen. James T. Conway’s tenure as the 34th Commandant of the Marine Corps comes to an end, he paid a visit to the ceremony and spoke in honor of those who gave their lives at the great battle.

"Korea is often a forgotten war that many consider a police action," said Conway during his last public address to West Coast troops before retiring as commandant. "We in the Marine Corps don't see it that way. We see it as a tremendous bright spot in our legacy."

At the Chosin Reservoir battle, Marines and soldiers fought against more than 100,000 Chinese troops and has been remembered as one of the major battles of the three-year war with Korea.
“In the battle to break the Chinese lines, we lost more than 4,000 U.S. (troops),” said Bob Licker, a Chosin Few hero and master of ceremonies. “This monument now stands in our memory and honor.”

The memorial commemorated what Conway called, "probably the most extreme environment faced by any group of Marines anywhere."
A carving by retired Combat Artist Col. Charles Waterhouse, and the quote “Retreat Hell,” now creates a symbolic view of commemoration for anyone who crosses the monument’s path.

“We may walk in the valley of the shadow of death; that’s our business and our nation expects us to conduct it with the vigor and dash that has always been the trademark of the Corps,” said Actor Dale Dye, retired Marine Capt. and guest speaker of the event. “We will do that gladly and confidently because we walk in the shadow of giants like the marines who fought at the Chosin Reservoir.”

USNAviator
09-24-10, 10:41 PM
Thank you for posting this news.The lack of response is not unexpected. Korea ranks right up there with the most unpopular of America's wars

There are a few Korea vets aboard but most by now are in their late 70's or early 80's. I think history will tell their story better than the pols in Washington. All who served did so with distinction and courage. God bless them all :thumbup:

hbharrison
09-24-10, 10:51 PM
I see meet and talk to a lot of Marine Vets who were at the Chosin every time I go to the VA. All I can say is, about time they are honored, I salute them all. S/F

Wrench3516
09-25-10, 05:35 PM
:beer:
Some great photos from the Event!
http://www.life.com/image/ugc1055981/in-gallery/45101/a-great-photographers-korean-war