PDA

View Full Version : Use of the term Cover for headgear

radar
09-23-10, 06:13 AM
Can anyone shed any light on when the Marines first started calling headwear Covers? I ask as I am currently reading through some Marine Corps Gazettes from the 1950's and all reference to headwear refers to the various items as Hats?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

:usmc:

advanced
09-23-10, 06:29 AM
We used the term covers in the 60's

radar
09-23-10, 08:40 AM
Thanks Advanced, looks like it may need a bit more investigation on my part. I'm hoping to include it in my book.

Phil

Sgt Leprechaun
09-24-10, 12:14 AM
What sort of book are you writing? BTW I'm moving this one, since it deals with uniform items, to that particular section.

And, to answer the question, by about the 1960's, likely the '65/66 time frame. My old Gunny was a '65 re-tread and he called it a 'Cover'. No way he would have called something otherwise that WASN'T Marine Corps terminology.

radar
09-24-10, 11:11 AM
Hi Sgt Leprechaun

Thanks for that, I missed the Uniform U thread, otherwise I would have posted here myself.

My book will be one covering terms and abbreviations both Historical and Modern as used by the Marine Corps. I have already had a similar book published on the British Royal artillery and have tasked myself with writing this one.

the title is a bit of a misnomer as in reality it will be a form of encyclopedia of terms, abbreviations and equipment used by the Corps.

Phil

awbrown1462
09-24-10, 11:31 AM
best answer I could find is this
A military hat is called a cover because it literally covers and protects your head. It's simply just a more formal term for a hat. (i.e. guns vs weapons, bathrooms vs heads, etc.)

USNAviator
09-24-10, 11:37 AM
Could not find the actually date but it was probably after 1956

I got this from the DI School Manual:

Further study indicated that the field hat was the item most preferred by DIs. It shaded the neck and eyes well, but did not keep the head as cool as the pith helmet. The field hat was a bit of tradition going back to the "Old Corps" of pre-World War II days. It also was more suitable for year-round wear than the pith helmet. By early June 1956, the Depot had requisitioned 1,000 field hats for delivery on Sept. 1, 1956, but General Wallace M. Greene Jr., wanted to order 700 hats immediately. On Saturday, July 21, 1956, at 7:30 a.m. all 603 drill instructors of the recruit training command obtained their new hats.

Female Drill Instructors authorized to wear "Smokey"
The Commandant of the Marine Corps announced on Sept. 13, 1996, that all female drill instructors were authorized to wear the previously male-only "Smokey" field hat. The commandant's decision has answered the frequently asked question, "Why not?" It was first asked in 1978 when the first females graduated from DI School and again in 1983 when female DIs began wearing their scarlet shoulder cord. During their Sept. 26, 1996, graduation ceremony, female DI School graduates were issued field hats. A cord retirement ceremony took place Oct. 2, 1996, after which female DIs ceased wearing the scarlet cord and began wearing the cover. The commandant, General Charles C. Krulak, was on hand for the event.

The final scarlet shoulder cord, the previous symbol of a female DI, was placed in the Parris Island Museum. Marines that wear the field hat, the campaign cover or the "Smokey" and train Marine Corps recruits must train recruits by the DI Pledge (http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/units/rtr/dischool/di_pledge.htm). The Pledge was written in 1956 by drill instructors for drill instructors.

radar
09-24-10, 12:13 PM
Guys

Thanks for your replies, l;ooks like 1956 was a good year (I was born!!).

Phil

advanced
09-24-10, 12:47 PM
I went to PI in Jan 67 and I was instructed that we had 3 covers;

1. Barracks Cover - Is large and has the hoop inside. Came in 3 colors, khaki, green and white (MP's Dress Blues).

2. **** Cover - Soft cover that came in khaki and green, depending on the seasonal uniform.

3. Soft Cover/Utility Cover - Worn with work uniform, utilities.

4. In the Nam we were given a new cover which had a wide brim all around and was a green camouflage color. We called this a jungle hat. Some guys wore a shorter brim jungle had in either camouflage or green, but I think those were army issue. I believe the wide brimmed jungle had was initially issued to recon but in a short time many of our grunts were wearing them. They were great in the monsoon in the Arizona (lot of open rice paddies and such).

Also, when I first arrived in the Nam we wore stateside utilities, then solid green jungle utilities and then camouflaged jungle utilities. These uniforms were often mixed and you'd see guys wearing either one or a combo such as camouflaged pants and green jungle jacket or visa versa.

A big difference in outpost, fire base and bush Marines is in how we dressed compared to support Marines in the rear. We wore our trousers rolled up to the middle of the calf, the support Marines all wore there trousers bloused or the lifers (no offense) would jump there aasses.

viper1833
09-24-10, 01:06 PM
Just a few terms for ya, I threw in some old school ones.

Cover
Pizz Cover
Barracks Cover
Helmet
Turtleshell
K-Pot
Doughboy

Trivia Question for 10 points, anyone know why Marines back in the Old Corps used to wear there covers tipped to there side?:D

Old Marine
09-24-10, 03:08 PM
In 1953 we called the Pizz Cover, the Fore & Aft Cap.
We had a Barracks Cap with a Tropical Cover, Khaki Cover, White Cover & Blue Cover.
We had a Utility Cover that was the best Utility Cover this Marine has ever worn. Not the present one with the stiching across the crown. This cover had zero stitching on the crown.

Sergeant M
09-25-10, 05:56 AM
Trivia Question for 10 points, anyone know why Marines back in the Old Corps used to wear there covers tipped to there side?:D

Why?

Theoldgunny
09-25-10, 08:03 AM
heck in 52 we were told to uncover if we were going inisde in boot camp as the team was used then and in sure the DI's didn't start with my series

viper1833
09-25-10, 12:23 PM
Why?

Marines who wore there covers tipped to side back during the old days. WWI, WWII, etc. They wore them because they had been in combat, it was how you differentiated between Marines who had seen combat, and those that did not. This was way before the invention of the Combat Action Ribbon. Semper. :D

EGA1957
09-25-10, 10:50 PM
When indoors AND ONLY WHEN "UNDER ARMS" was a Marine to be "covered" (at least during my '57 - '60 stint), so I think "cover" goes back much earlier than even what theoldgunny points out.

Is there any "logic" to calling a head covering a "cover?"

Would seem consistent that the LAST item to be put on before an appearance would be THE "cover or capping" to that preparation, so wouldn't it follow that ANY (soft)cap/(metal or composite) helmet would pick up that shortcut expression?

So how long ago in our history would that have taken place? My own best guess would be, when a "military" appearance included wearing some form of head covering.

radar
09-27-10, 05:04 AM
Guys

Thanks for all the replies, sounds like this is going to be one that is very difficult to pinpoint an origin for.

Phil

FistFu68
09-27-10, 09:12 AM
:beer: I Still use it,Actually The term COVER started in Tun Tavern in 1775 when them Badasses had a Few of these :beer: :beer:

Phantom Blooper
09-27-10, 09:16 AM
Just a few terms for ya, I threw in some old school ones.

Cover
Pizz Cover
Barracks Cover
Helmet
Turtleshell
K-Pot
Doughboy

Cover Your Azz!:beer:

:evilgrin:

awbrown1462
09-27-10, 11:03 AM
my own thought on this is some old NCO yelled at some young troops "Cover your bleep bleep Head"