PDA

View Full Version : Surviving the Cut Marine Sniper School Tonight...

DevilDogsSon269
09-22-10, 01:00 AM
Watch it! Especially if your a wannabe HOG. Also the commercials say its the series finally.... WTF happened to SWCC, SEALS and any others not shown that I missed anyone know if theres another season up? I missed Combat Diver and Navy EOD. Fill me in and Ill do the same as information comes up.

Steve018
09-22-10, 08:03 AM
They'll probably have another season. I've never seen it but a lot of my friends who aren't even joining the military say its a kickass show so I'm guessing season 2 will come up. I'll try to watch this one tonight, missed the Recon one :'(

ScarSniper
09-22-10, 09:45 AM
Watch it! Especially if your a wannabe HOG. Also the commercials say its the series finally.... WTF happened to SWCC, SEALS and any others not shown that I missed anyone know if theres another season up? I missed Combat Diver and Navy EOD. Fill me in and Ill do the same as information comes up.

Out-Freaking-standing! Wanna be HOG right here, can't wait!! It's about time they did one on Snipers!

wilsontc11
09-22-10, 12:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXcniOaIG44

Thats the Marine Recon one, I uploaded it to YouTube a while ago. I'll upload the Marine sniper one too sometime this week if any of you guys miss it.

DevilDogsSon269
09-22-10, 01:10 PM
Out-Freaking-standing! Wanna be HOG right here, can't wait!! It's about time they did one on Snipers!

Hell yea!

and Wilson... Thanks!

I am going to look into why they havent covered other ones that should have been covered before some POS Ranger Combat Dive school. Yes after seeing the Ranger school it makes me even more motivated to say Im going into the Marines. Unless there are things I have missed between Surviving the Cut and the other show that was on the military channel day or so before that episode aired I personally laugh at ranger school. The stuff they do in it physically that people dropped like flies on aint **** compared to what we will go through between SOI, Boot Camp and other schools. They should have covered SEALs before Combat Diver and EOD.

Zumbii
09-22-10, 01:20 PM
In this poolees opinion, the show was trying to cover some of the less publicized special operations units. There have been plenty of SEAL documentaries, and I am actually glad they chose not to.
I thought the combat diver, and EOD were awesome shows.

DevilDogsSon269
09-22-10, 03:46 PM
EOD, and a few other schools have been covered plenty too. I agree SEALS hasbeen covered alot but when making a series about the special forces schools they should have aired SWCC, SEALs and the other SF, SW, and OPs schools.

Rough Hands
09-22-10, 04:39 PM
Well, "Surviving the Cut" came about because the Discovery Channel already had a special on Navy SEAL training that was actually pretty popular... That may be why they chose to go without it.

Zumbii
09-22-10, 10:05 PM
Cool episode.
Good luck to all you poolees in pursuit of that hogs tooth

RBrouse
09-22-10, 10:05 PM
:Dgreat show thats where i'll be in a couple years

DevilDogsSon269
09-22-10, 11:44 PM
Well, "Surviving the Cut" came about because the Discovery Channel already had a special on Navy SEAL training that was actually pretty popular... That may be why they chose to go without it.

Thanks for the insight.

As far as the episode tonight. WOW! This is going to be a challenge but, I am looking forward to it. No Problem, just gotta work at it and Ill be good to go.

DevilDogsSon269
09-22-10, 11:45 PM
Cant wait to get my Lapua/HOG's Tooth!

RSSpooleeBPT
09-24-10, 03:29 PM
Hell yea!

and Wilson... Thanks!

Unless there are things I have missed between Surviving the Cut and the other show that was on the military channel day or so before that episode aired I personally laugh at ranger school. The stuff they do in it physically that people dropped like flies on aint **** compared to what we will go through between SOI, Boot Camp and other schools. They should have covered SEALs before Combat Diver and EOD.

Pretty cocky statement coming from somenone whose never gone through Ranger School before and BUDs training has been covered time and time again

ScarSniper
09-24-10, 04:28 PM
Pretty cocky statement coming from somenone whose never gone through Ranger School before and BUDs training has been covered time and time again

lol. Agreed. As this one Marine told me when I got to 18 pull-ups and started popping off with the lips.

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird ass"

Some people learn the hard way though. Especially people who have Marines as daddies. hahahaha. No trouble, no trouble. My best friend is going for Ranger school though, and from what he's told me, it's nothing to laugh at.

DevilDogsSon269
09-24-10, 11:37 PM

Nah I get what you and Scar sniper are saying. Im saying for it being a S Ops/ SF/ etc job it doesnt look very difficult. That may also be the fact that I am facing Marine Boot Camp which looks much harder physically.

DevilDogsSon269
09-24-10, 11:45 PM
Me being a poolee It would be hard. Its what bugs me is Army Basic training is like 2 or 3 weeks shorter that RT and many of the people on the show arent boots they are seasoned soldiers. It makes me wonder if these people are just *****ing out. The thing is is the excersizes arent hard and they arent really that big a deal. I dont know if its the way Im looking in on it and not actually there or if its just not as "hardcore" as its made out to be.

Aitrus
09-25-10, 01:08 AM
Ranger school is brutal. No doubt about it. I know multiple former Rangers myself. One of them was both Ranger and Special Forces qualified, went through just about every combat school the Army has to offer, and said that Ranger school was one of the hardest things he did.

I don't blame you for getting the impression you did, as Surviving the cut barely even scratched the surface of Ranger school. They showed a few events out of the many they do. If you read about everything you go through in RIP (Ranger Indoctrination Program) and after, it's no joke. It doesn't happen too often anymore (except for some Recon guys) but even some Marines have gone through Ranger school (they don't wear the tab on their uniform or anything) and I'm sure any of them would tell you it certainly wasn't easy.

A big difference between things like Ranger school and what any of us who are going Infantry will experience in Boot Camp and ITB is that in Boot Camp and ITB, even though you absolutely are pushed incredibly hard beyond any limits you thought you had before, Drill Instructors and SOI Combat Instructors are doing their best to get you through training, to succeed and pass. Boot Camp only has a 11% drop rate, don't know what ITB is but it's lower than that. Ranger school on the other hand, they're TRYING to get you to quit. They don't want the weak or anyone who is willing to quit. That's why generally only about 1/3 make it through.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to give you a hard time about what you said or anything, just clarifying a few things. I too look forward to the challenge we'll be facing in Marine training, and I look forward to OVERCOMING it, and succeeding.

Stay moto!

-Poolee Pike

(Apologies for bringing this thread further off track, haven't watched the new episode yet so I can't comment)

DevilDogsSon269
09-25-10, 01:17 PM
Ranger school is brutal. No doubt about it. I know multiple former Rangers myself. One of them was both Ranger and Special Forces qualified, went through just about every combat school the Army has to offer, and said that Ranger school was one of the hardest things he did.

I don't blame you for getting the impression you did, as Surviving the cut barely even scratched the surface of Ranger school. They showed a few events out of the many they do. If you read about everything you go through in RIP (Ranger Indoctrination Program) and after, it's no joke. It doesn't happen too often anymore (except for some Recon guys) but even some Marines have gone through Ranger school (they don't wear the tab on their uniform or anything) and I'm sure any of them would tell you it certainly wasn't easy.

A big difference between things like Ranger school and what any of us who are going Infantry will experience in Boot Camp and ITB is that in Boot Camp and ITB, even though you absolutely are pushed incredibly hard beyond any limits you thought you had before, Drill Instructors and SOI Combat Instructors are doing their best to get you through training, to succeed and pass. Boot Camp only has a 11% drop rate, don't know what ITB is but it's lower than that. Ranger school on the other hand, they're TRYING to get you to quit. They don't want the weak or anyone who is willing to quit. That's why generally only about 1/3 make it through.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to give you a hard time about what you said or anything, just clarifying a few things. I too look forward to the challenge we'll be facing in Marine training, and I look forward to OVERCOMING it, and succeeding.

Stay moto!

-Poolee Pike

(Apologies for bringing this thread further off track, haven't watched the new episode yet so I can't comment)

You arent bringing the thread off track... its a STC thread. I actually really appreciate you clearing somethings up.... thats actually what i was looking for was someone who actually knew something about it... I would love to do Ranger training, or Airborne once I get out of ITB.

I think if they are gonna name the series what they did they need to make longer episodes and actually show whats really up instead of indoc, 5days, 20 days blah blah blah... it doesnt show or depict the training well. S/Sniper episode missed a lot on the actually Scout Sniper part of the training it was a dull episode in that matter... on the military channel there is a better show I belaive called snipers and they did a SS episode and it was amazing... combine that episode to this one and you get the real result.

Zumbii
09-25-10, 02:08 PM

Stay moto!

-Poolee Pike

There is a difference between being a Ranger and being Ranger Qualified.
RIP, now called RASP, is the selection course that candidates must pass to earn their tan berets, their Ranger Scroll, and a spot in one of the 4 battalions in the 75th Ranger Regiment.
Going to Ranger School doesn't make you a Ranger, it makes you Ranger qualified. That Tab signifies that you can lead soldiers into battle and get them out alive.

DevilDogsSon269
09-25-10, 02:12 PM
There is a difference between being a Ranger and being Ranger Qualified.
RIP, now called RASP, is the selection course that candidates must pass to earn their tan berets, their Ranger Scroll, and a spot in the 75th Ranger Regiment.
Going to Ranger School doesn't make you a Ranger, it makes you Ranger qualified. That Tab signifies that you can lead soldiers into battle and get them out alive.

Marines who go through ranger school I take it dont receive the scroll and beret?... Do they train with the Army in the school or do they go to another section of Marines only? If they train with the Army we do still get to wear our MarPat right?

ScarSniper
09-25-10, 02:20 PM
Marines who go through ranger school I take it dont receive the scroll and beret?... Do they train with the Army in the school or do they go to another section of Marines only? If they train with the Army we do still get to wear our MarPat right?

Yikes! I wouldn't even consider doing it if I wouldn't be able to wear my MarPats. By the way...question.. is it true that if you go delta force....no matter what branch you were with prior, you're now considered a soldier? Or am I mistaken? I'm just wondering.

Zumbii
09-25-10, 02:29 PM

When you go through Ranger School you earn the Ranger Tab. Yes you still wear Marpat, just like Marines who go through Airborne School wear their Marpat, and I'm sure you train with everyone else.

I've seen footage of foreign country spec ops soldiers going through classes and they train with everyone and wear their normal uniform.

RSSpooleeBPT
09-25-10, 03:09 PM
What are the factors that decide whether or not Recon Marines, Scout Snipers, or ANGLICo operators are allowed to attend Ranger school? Also is it even likely Marines attend Ranger School nowadays or is it relatively rare?

wilsontc11
09-25-10, 05:01 PM
It was definitely bad ass. Sad to see it end so quickly though

PARKER93
09-25-10, 06:57 PM
From what Ive heard Ranger training isnt a very high priority for Recon Marines.

ScarSniper
09-25-10, 07:28 PM
Ok. Ok. Enough with the U.S. Army Ranger talk already. This thread was originally created to specifically speak about the coveted MOS 0317. Marine Corps Scout/Sniper. Yay for army 11B or whatever but lets not forget, fellow poolees, this is a Marine Corps forum. Army Rangers are tough, some Marines may or may not want to train with them. Doesn't matter, far as I'm concerned, they will never measure up to the Marines. Enough about 'em already. Marine Corps!

DevilDogsSon269
09-25-10, 09:13 PM
Agreed. everyone back on the bus... I will either make a separate thread for this or you all can do your own research.

RBrouse
09-25-10, 09:57 PM
0317 best MOS out there

DevilDogsSon269
09-25-10, 10:08 PM
So anyone ever see the show on military channel? Called Snipers:Marine Sniper

Shows a lot on the tactical part of the training and the actual mission of a scout sniper.
Also people legitimately beleive still that SSnipers are still just two man squads. It isnt really like that anymore from what the show, shows its like 6 man squads and multiple squads are working in unison to engage the target... and what I love is the kills from multiple directions that they train to do... 3 directions 3 bullets and no idea where the kill round came from perfect diversion from the shooters.

RBrouse
09-25-10, 11:51 PM
ya i saw that show once but i never herd of the 3 shot thing thats awesome

DevilDogsSon269
09-26-10, 02:37 AM
when i was watching it during the "final mission" they had 3 teams dispersed and when they finished their reconnaissance and intel gathering and prepared for the shot all three teams hit the target. The way SSniper platoons ae run these days are different than it used to be the goal is to keep men alive longer, larger teams equal more skills and more ability to spread out the work and make intel gathering easier and up security in the sniper nests. Larger teams means better likelyhood of success with a zero casualty rating. I am sure there are other reasons for the larger teams but i dont remember everything I saw in the episode. Regardless I am looking forward and working towards getting that HOG's tooth.

RBrouse
09-26-10, 10:37 PM
Hell ya i WANT that HOGs tooth so bad:!:

ScarSniper
09-26-10, 10:47 PM
Hell ya i WANT that HOGs tooth so bad:!:
Same here! Earning that! Damn, it's got me motivated. Freaking HOGs tooth! You see a Marine with one of those and you know he could probably kill you with his pinky, after it was broken. Freaking Snipers. If I were a newborn just born and my doctor was a Scout-sniper, I'd climb back up the womb for 9 more months.

RBrouse
09-26-10, 10:49 PM
If I were a newborn just born and my doctor was a Scout-sniper, I'd climb back up the womb for 9 more months.
lol what. If mine was i would stand up and shake his hand on the spot haha:D

DevilDogsSon269
09-27-10, 12:31 AM
Goals:
1.Earn EGA
2. assigned to weapons platoon and take my contract shot at recon.
3.pass BRC.
4.make rank eligible for 0317 mos qualification
5.Earn HOGs Tooth....
6.Be the one of the baddest mother ****ers on earth!

In short these are my major goals between here and SSniper. That and staying alive, blah blah blah you know the drill....
Next to those being a DI or an Embassy Guard Marine would be awesome!

Zumbii
09-27-10, 12:12 PM
Goals:
1.Earn EGA
2. assigned to weapons platoon and take my contract shot at recon.
3.pass BRC.
4.make rank eligible for 0317 mos qualification
5.Earn HOGs Tooth....
6.Be the one of the baddest mother ****ers on earth!

In short these are my major goals between here and SSniper. That and staying alive, blah blah blah you know the drill....
Next to those being a DI or an Embassy Guard Marine would be awesome!

take your contract shot at recon?

DevilDogsSon269
09-27-10, 10:04 PM
As soon as i hear word of my MOS getting secured then yes. It is #1 on my list.

Recon
Security Forces
Infantry

RBrouse
09-27-10, 11:01 PM
you know you dont have to go recon to get SSniper right?

DevilDogsSon269
09-27-10, 11:20 PM
I am well aware. I put in for the MOSs I desired and Recon is on the top of my slist of entry level MOS. I want to take my shot and succeed. If I get stuck on SF or regular infantry so be it... regardless I am happy. If i get regular infantry than I will go weapons for 0331 and I will tryout for Recon when its offered. Regardless I have chosen My path and the three ways to get there. No matter what success is everything, failure is unacceptable and not trying gets you no where.