PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some serious advice about being an NCO

BruceTheFootman
09-21-10, 09:22 PM
First, greetings to all the Marines on this board who may read or reply to this thread, I really appreciate what advice you might have to offer. <br />
<br />
I'm currently a Lance Cpl, I've been an E-3 for...

hbharrison
09-21-10, 09:39 PM
You got the first part correct, respect is earned, NCO School if you can if not the next best thing would be MCI-NCO leadership. You and you alone will make it happen.

revleo
09-21-10, 10:46 PM
an old saying by a certain Chesty Puller. <br />
Remember that if you are the one in charge. To work harder than the troopers under you. And if you make a decision stick by it no matter the concequence....

DrZ
09-22-10, 07:40 AM
Being a leader is not difficult but it does require a sequence of events. You need to do the following:

1. Know your strengths and weaknesses.
2. Know your troops strengths and weaknesses.
3. Identify what needs to be accomplished (the goal).
4. Divide the task into logical, non-emotional steps towards completion.
5. Plan for contingencies. By this I mean if we do this and it doesn't work.... what can we do to fix it?
6. Select the troops from #2 with the strengths to lead some part of the mission and delegate authority. True leaders will delegate jobs to ensure a timely and efficient completion of the task.
7. Review your and your troops successes and failures with your troops.
8. When things go right, you praise your troops to them and to your seniors and if things go wrong, you accept all the failings. If your troops understand that you will always cover their butts, they will bust their butts to make sure you never fail at any given task.
9. Remember you are a member of the team. There can be no me or them....it must always be we or us.

If you do this every time...for every task you are assigned.... it will become second nature to you and automatic. It sounds difficult but it will not be as you get used to the process. Leadership is manpower management, knowing you troops and yourself, and the ability to delegate responsibility to others.

One thing I have repeatedly said here....is to use leadership through example. Make sure your troops understand that you CAN and WILL do any job you assign to them. A good leader is effective in task completion....while a great leader is INVOLVED and EFFECTIVE in task completion.

Always remember that leadership is a double edged sword. You must always be their leader and while friendly....never quite their friend. You have to be willing to make hard decisions. Put the best up for promotion and no special bennies for those who you have known longer or are closer to being friends than others.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you and let us know how things go.

PGN63
09-22-10, 08:29 AM
I always felt I was very much a sub-par leader to my Marines. I simply didn't know how to lead them, and my leaders didn't know how to lead me.

Out of all of your "rambling," the above is probably the most important. Humility is very important, the moment you think that you %&!* don't stink is the moment you will fail your Marines.

Leadership by example, to date you have seen examples of sub standard leadership. This in itself is a valuable lesson, you know how it feels to be lead by those types of leaders. Being in a unit where the leadership is lock on is great but you never have a chance to lead in challenging situations...it's all clock work.

When I was at your present stage in the Corps, I got ahold of a series of books in 1984....it really helped define who I became:

http://www.marineshop.net/browse.cfm/dunks-almanac-(pb)/4,5591.html

The above is IMO a must have, there is a series of books spawned from it; Green Side Out, Brown Side Out, Run in Cicles, Scream and Shout.

FattyTheFerret
09-22-10, 08:04 PM
You got the first part correct, respect is earned, NCO School if you can

welp, these days he won't get a choice. corporal's course is now a requirement :marine:

hbharrison
09-22-10, 08:23 PM
Thing change, can't say it was a requirment but I say about a third got to go the rest of us had to take the MCI course and get at lest 96%. I can say it shure did help!

Sgt Leprechaun
09-23-10, 12:09 AM
I'll toss in my two cents. To give a brief 'curricula vitae': I was a Fireteam and Squad Leader, 0311. Meritorous Corporal. I was an Intelligence Chief. When I came back in in 97, I...

revleo
09-23-10, 09:42 AM
Cannot emphasize how true and right Lep is on all he said. In summary he just gave you the SNCO's Course. In a Fleet Marine Compression File.
Only thing I can add to that wonderful Disertation. Is a couple of books
I found of great help. 1. Tsun Szu,s the Art of War 2. the GO RIN NO SHO
by Miyamoto Musashi If one nows how the enemy thinks. One has already won the battle.

BruceTheFootman
09-23-10, 08:37 PM
This is really great stuff, thank you everybody who's posted so far. This has helped a lot, as has just being in a new command and seeing how good leaders handle things.
DrZ and Sgt Lep, your posts really had some great stuff in them, and I've made a point of taking them to heart. revleo, curiously enough I just finished reading Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa, which prompted me to pick up Go Rin No Sho, and I've also been working my way through the Art of War.

Thanks again to all who've posted to help me out, I've been concentrating hard lately on getting done what needs to get done, and on planning ahead for the improvements I still need to make. I'll keep checking this thread and I'll let you all know how it works out in a week when I pick up. Semper Fi.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-23-10, 08:47 PM
Keep on....keepin on.

Phantom Blooper
09-23-10, 08:52 PM
Also get a copy of...Handbook For Marine NCOs

Good reading....:evilgrin:

3043pog
09-25-10, 09:43 PM
I made Corporal quickly,thank god I had some Sergeants who quickly put me on the right path!!

DrZ
09-26-10, 08:46 AM
Practice the leadership points daily...in all aspects of your life. Listen to your other NCOs and Senior LCpls. Groom them to be leaders as well.

A leader does not need to control everything but needs to show confidence in his troops.

Lep did a great post.... take it to heart and live the lifestyle and you will be fine.

Again...check in occasionally and let us know how things are going.

BruceTheFootman
10-09-10, 12:49 PM
I just wanted to update you all: the promotion went well, I had the opportunity to be pinned by a SSgt whose leadership I've recently come to admire a very great deal, and so far the advice you all have given me has been a big help in getting off on the right foot. Oh and I found the book Sgt Lep mentioned, "Dunk's Almanac" - some really good stuff in there. I've got a few of the other books you all suggested on order.
Yesterday I had the good fortune of hearing some advice on the subject from a MSgt who said, "picking up rank is so often misunderstood. That extra chevron doesn't signify authority over everybody else, but rather your responsibility for them."
I thought I'd pass that along should someone in the future find themselves in my situation. Thanks again to everybody who's helped point me in the right direction, it really means a lot. Semper fi

Lisa 23
10-09-10, 01:12 PM
Congrats on your promotion to CPL, BruceTheFootman! :thumbup:

3043pog
10-09-10, 06:54 PM
Welcome to the ranks of NCO!

revleo
10-09-10, 07:18 PM
you have joined the ranks of leadership.
just remember that you are in good and bad company.
do us all proud and follow the good examples.
and if you ever have to sit in judgement of a lower rank. remember when you were there too.
not aying to give em a pass. but just remember and when you made the bone head plays. and let that guide your actions.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-11-10, 10:08 PM
Congrats!!!!!

josephd
10-11-10, 10:35 PM
awesome thread and great read...thanks gents!

I too am looking right in the eyes of picking up Cpl. but as ya'll could imagine at a reserve unit finding a good NCO to emulate is hard to come by. Already believe I am a decent leader but I am more concerned with what kind of NCO I do not want to be...a crap one.

RLE0352
10-11-10, 10:36 PM
Congratulations on your promotion!

Start with the posts from DrZ and Sgt Lep, flesh it out with your own experiences and you've got a great start on what to teach your squad about leadership.

usmc987332
10-11-10, 10:50 PM
I remember March 19, 1945 red headed Pfc G. C. Burke took over the leadership of our platoon. He listened to the men, but took full responsibility for his decision when he made it. Although we...

usmc987332
10-11-10, 11:08 PM
I remember March 19, 1945 red headed Pfc G. C. Burke took over the leadership of our platoon. He listened to the men, but took full responsibility for his decision when he made it. Although we were down to less than a dozen men, he expected us to perform like a platoon with its 68 men. We did, and mostly because he made good decisions.
Sorry, the date should March 16, not March 190

DrZ
10-12-10, 04:00 AM
Congratulations Cpl. Be the leader we know you can be!

revleo
10-12-10, 10:35 PM
dunks almanac. forgot how much good stuff was in there.
if any new NCO needs one I can see if I can mail mine.
never passed mine on. should have but didnt. so let me know if any one needs one.

R Landry
10-12-10, 11:13 PM
The Wikipedia definition is quite sobering -- you have big shoes to fill and your men, senior NCOs, and your officers, depend on you for accomplishing the mission....

The non-commissioned officer corps is often referred to as "the backbone" of the armed services <sup id="cite_ref-0" class="reference"></sup>as the primary and most visible leaders for most military personnel. Additionally, they are the primary military leaders responsible for executing the military organization's mission and for training military personnel so they are prepared to execute their missions.

NCO training and education typically includes leadership and management as well as service specific and combat training.

Senior NCOs with their wealth of leadership, mission training and experience are considered the primary link between the bulk of the enlisted personnel and the officers in any military organization. Their advice and guidance is particularly important for junior officers, who begin their careers in a position of authority but generally lack practical experience.