PDA

View Full Version : Future Marine Mentors

Sixguns
08-19-02, 04:46 PM
Future Marines and young Marines,

I am offering my counsel and advice for your benefit. I have 19 years invested in the Marine Corps and as you can see from my activity in the Poolee Hall, I am anxious to help Marines succeed. There are many who I have assisted in the recruiting process and in beginning their Marine Corps careers. If you have concerns or issues you would like to discuss one-on-one, please send me a Private Message (PM) at this site with your contact information. I will be happy to mentor you and help you to focus your efforts and career toward reaching ultimate success.

Respectfully,

DEP_Walker
09-02-02, 10:59 PM
Great to see people like you wanting to help others succeed, thanks sixguns.

marinereconss
06-27-06, 11:38 AM
hi I am a senior in high school and im enlisting within DEP this augest. i am trying to go into M.O.S 0321. my question was is there anything i have to accomplish after say the asvab and all the medical checks to get into the m.o.s. 0321 or do i have to join some other m.o.s. before i consider recon. if u could write back that would mean a lot. thanks

Osotogary
06-27-06, 12:32 PM
marinereconss-
Can I bust your chops for just one second?
Would it be at all possible to use capitalization, spell check and proper punctuation when addressing Sixguns? I'm thinking that you are a senior in high school and already would know of such things. Just a little bit more effort on your part and I wouldn't have said squat.
Note: I do not, by any means, have the top notch expertise of the English language; its spelling and grammarical usage. So, by any rights you could tell me to "kiss off". It's up to you.
Take care of yourself.
Gary

marinereconss
06-27-06, 03:07 PM
So what you are saying is that I know everything I should about M.O.S. 0321, and that I should work on grammer and punctuation more often.

Wyoming
06-27-06, 03:11 PM
So what you are saying is that I know everything I should about M.O.S. 0321, and that I should work on grammer and punctuation more often.

Day Yam Gary, we gots us another wise one.

He can't fill out a profile, acts like he's text messaging on Mommy's dime, want's to go recon cause he's such a bad arse, etc., etc.

The DI's will enjoy his company.:D

SemperFin
06-27-06, 03:21 PM
Hey, you also forgot the question mark at the end of your "rhetorical" question. Don't forget that!

On a positive note, at least he's asking for advice. That shows initiative. Once we get him "hooked on Phonics" he'll be good to go!;)

Lithium
06-27-06, 03:47 PM
The Recon Marine Option does not mean that you jump right into training. It simply means that you are guaranteed a tryout. Nothing beyond that is guaranteed. You do not begin training for Recon untill you pass the tryout and you qualify (through Boot Camp). 1st class PFT, 1st Class Swim Qual.

Osotogary
06-27-06, 03:48 PM
"So what you are saying is that I know everything I should about M.O.S. 0321, and that I should work on grammer and punctuation more often."

Certainly not, marinereconss, I just gave you a "heads up" on a topic that was initiated some time ago. (Please see below)

Attention on Deck
I see many poolees and wannabes are not paying attention to detail. This place is looking completely UNSAT!
From here on out, you must using proper grammer and punctution. Examples on a post:
Incorrect
how many pullups should i do
Correct
How many pullups should I do?
If you do not adhere to these rules your post will be deleted.
Carry on.
Jerry

Sixguns
06-27-06, 07:02 PM
What has been stated is true. You are not guaranteed the MOS 0321, you are guaranteed to tryout for the MOS. In order to succeed you will need to pass a rigorous swim test with gear, run two consecutive PFTs and a variety of other tasks. To put it simply, you will need to be a PT stud! If you don't know what PT is or what the events of the PFT are, you need to get with your recruiter. If yo are going to be in the DEP a long time, you will have plenty of time to get ready to go.

marinereconss
06-27-06, 08:45 PM
What do you mean by a rigorous swim test, like what has to be accomplished? I am a really good swimmer. I plan on achieving a 280 on my PFT! I can accomplish 50 Marine push-ups in 50 seconds. Almost up to 15 pull-ups, 50 push-ups in one minute, etc..

marinereconss
06-27-06, 08:47 PM
Sorry about my grammer, capitalizations, and spell checks. Today is my first day on this website.

Lithium
06-27-06, 09:01 PM
What do you mean by a rigorous swim test, like what has to be accomplished? I am a really good swimmer. I plan on achieving a 280 on my PFT! I can accomplish 50 Marine push-ups in 50 seconds. Almost up to 15 pull-ups, 50 push-ups in one minute, etc..

The PFT consists of Pull-ups, Crunches, and a 3 mile run. In order to get a perfect PFT score (300), you need to do 20 pull-ups, 100 crunches in 2 minutes, and run a 3 mile run in 18:00 minutes.
*Push-ups are just a something you get to do ALOT of at MCRD*

In order to gain a 1st Class Swim Qualification, you must perform a variety of different water survival techniques in full combat gear, which includes a rifle, helmet, flak jacket and pack. *That's rigorous*

John McKinley
07-13-06, 10:20 AM
Sixguns:

My name is John McKinley and I would like to take you up on your offer to help privitely with my effort to join the Marine Corps. A problem has arisen with my physical that I believe can be successfully resolved with knowledgeable and professional help. There is no can't, surrender or retreat in the Marine Corps lexicon. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
John McKinley

E-mail address: mrburns_2002nmmi@yahoo.com

John McKinley
07-13-06, 10:39 AM
Sixguns:
John McKinley again. The reply I just sent seemed to leave out part of my e-mail address so here it is again with an explanation.
Mrburns_2002nmmi@yahoo.com

In the reply it looks like the "underscore" after mrburns... is not present and if it is not there I don't get a reply back.

Thanks again
JMcK

maverickmarine
07-13-06, 02:10 PM
When I was in, you had to be a proven infantry performer and be recommended to attempt Recon Indoc. I understand times have changed but if you just focus on becoming a Marine first and make sure you stay squared away i.e. 1st Class PFT's (300 Prefered), Expert Rifle Qual., 1st Class Swim Qual (CWSQ Preferred) and excellent pro's and con's then you will be ready to move forward into attempting Recon.

John Mckinley, while I commend you on your choice to take Sixguns up on his offer please pay attention to his post where he directed you to send a PM to him with your contact information.

wsimkins
07-23-06, 08:45 AM
And don't forget to fill in your profile. I thought SSGT Nelson was pretty darn clear on that part when he wrote the rules and posted them.

WalkingMan
07-26-06, 06:12 PM

I can't speak for the person you are replying to, but in my opinion, being squared away at whatever you are doing now... which happens to be sitting at a computer console, typing... is always a good idea.

MOS 0321 is going to require good language skills, in addition to field, combat, and other specialty skills.

The MOS will also require that you learn how to assess the situation on the ground, figure out where the power lies, who are the friendlies and who are the enemies, and little things like when and when not to act salty. ;)

In my opinion, it might be a good strategy to see how you do, getting through Boot Camp first, and begin thinking about your MOS preferences and requirements, then... when you have a more clear picture of both your actual (as opposed to imagined) capabilities, and the demands that 0321 would place upon those capabilities.

You sure walked into an ambush with your eyes closed, here... didn't you?

I hope you perform better, when faced with the Real Deal.

J-Ro
07-26-06, 06:58 PM
Hey, marinereconss I was one of the Marine Combat Instructors of Water survival at TBS in Quantico, VA helping with the training of 2nd Lt. on occasions. Just like everyone has stated you won't be able to jump into the Recon training, but if you want to be better prepared if you decide to pursue that dream... Start swimming ALOT!!! This website will give you a better idea of what is asked of you.
Good luck to you (try to KNOW what your getting into Before you get into it. It will simplify your life)

http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/public%20affairs%20info/archive%20news%20pages/2004/040922-swim.html

Marine84
07-27-06, 01:33 PM
But first off - in order to tryout for Recon you have to:

Stand at attention
Tap your heels together 3 times while saying "I wannabe a Recon Ranger - I wanna live the life of danger"

BOOGIEMAN44
07-27-06, 06:51 PM
marinereconss-
Can I bust your chops for just one second?
Would it be at all possible to use capitalization, spell check and proper punctuation when addressing Sixguns? I'm thinking that you are a senior in high school and already would know of such things. Just a little bit more effort on your part and I wouldn't have said squat.
Note: I do not, by any means, have the top notch expertise of the English language; its spelling and grammarical usage. So, by any rights you could tell me to "kiss off". It's up to you.
Take care of yourself.
Gary

DAMMMMMMN GARY !!! YOU ROCK !!!

J-Ro
07-27-06, 09:39 PM
But first off - in order to tryout for Recon you have to:

Stand at attention
Tap your heels together 3 times while saying "I wannabe a Recon Ranger - I wanna live the life of danger"

Right on "84"