PDA

View Full Version : Your side of the coin

ShannonL
09-20-10, 01:20 AM
Hello Marines

I am interested in knowing what its like serving and fighting from your perspective. I am an author and writing a book about Marines in the future and I want to know what goes through the mind of a woman when capping a dishonourable coward in Afgan or where-ever?

Lisa 23
09-20-10, 10:26 AM
You're posting in the wrong part of the forum. This is for Marines, not Marine Friends.

Casta
09-29-10, 10:00 PM
er up-Raten und lange erwartete reale vyigrashi für diese spielenden Menschen sind nur dann und nur in der Gegenwartsform online pokern (http://www.online-poker-spielen.biz)

Wyoming
09-30-10, 01:42 PM
er up-Raten und lange erwartete reale vyigrashi für diese spielenden Menschen sind nur dann und nur in der Gegenwartsform online pokern (http://www.online-poker-spielen.biz)

Well, there you have it, and let it be a lesson to all.:sick:

Mongoose
09-30-10, 04:14 PM
I agree 100% Big AL.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-02-10, 07:24 PM
LOL!!!!! Extracted forever for reasons that are painfully obvious.

Shannon, who do you want, active duty or 'formers'? Drop me a PM.

Combat Jack
10-19-10, 02:29 PM
Yeah, she's really looking in the wrong spot. This specific forum isn't exactly crawling with shooters...

USNAviator
10-19-10, 04:12 PM
Yeah, she's really looking in the wrong spot. This specific forum isn't exactly crawling with shooters...

Shannon is a male...check out the profile

ShannonL
10-22-10, 01:10 AM
I'm not just wanting to talk to shooters, I just wanted to know what it's like for a woman to come home and dash all of mommy and daddy's dreams of her being a paralegal with pretty long nails and styled hair. And walk in a full fledged Marine. What was it like to walk up to the recruiters post and sign your name, gawked at by males around you. To go through training and surpass all expectations and prededuce's and earn the right of passage into the halls of the warriors and honour. Whats base life like? there must be vast differences in the base and field. My book will have female Marines, a female Gunnery Sergeant as well. I want it to be right.

wildwoman73
10-24-10, 10:11 AM
Yes...uh huh...yep...hmmm, maybe...NO! NO! NO!
(GONG!)

ShannonL
10-24-10, 11:34 AM
???

wildwoman73
10-24-10, 11:56 AM
Well..."With all due respect", you want to know what it's like to see our very own meet Jesus.

and "your side of the coin"...you want to know what it's like as a female marine...being gawked at and all.

How many books are you writing?

USNAviator
10-24-10, 12:13 PM
Well..."With all due respect", you want to know what it's like to see our very own meet Jesus.

and "your side of the coin"...you want to know what it's like as a female marine...being gawked at and all.

How many books are you writing?

Good question. I asked Shannon back on 9/21 how books he has written, his answer

" <table id="post700233" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="thead" style="font-weight: normal;"><!-- / status icon and date -->
</td> <td class="thead" style="font-weight: normal;" align="right"> #15 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showpost.php?p=700233&postcount=15) </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="alt2 postbit_info" style="border-width: 0px 1px; border-style: none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(181, 177, 177);" width="175"> ShannonL (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=77752) <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_700233", true); </script>
Marine Friend
Free Member (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/payments.php)
Credits: 85

</td> <td class="alt1" id="td_post_700233" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(181, 177, 177);"> <!-- message --> Sadley my first...If you dont believe it you cant be it. Many of you knew you were Marines before you walked into the recruiters post.

I want my first book to be as realistic as possible. I want you Marines to want to go drinking with my characters. I want readers to walk in Marine boots and learn that war aint all glory...but marred with mailce and terrors which you Marines have experianced. I respect all of you and thats why I'm here to learn from you guys and honour the Corps and ALL of its members...
</td></tr></tbody></table>

wildwoman73
10-24-10, 12:25 PM
Ya, I read that. Personally, I would have a very hard time being so passionate and motivated to write two books on two different "hot" topics at the same time. My college professors red taped the crap out of simple term papers and my word conjugation/spelling was pretty squared away.

USNAviator
10-24-10, 12:26 PM
Dan, I think what he said about wanting to SEE someone die, just to see, that's the thing that stands out in my mind. Maybe it's normal nowadays, but I'm just not sure. I mean, it could be the thing nowadays, given what we've seen here and elsewhere these days, but maybe he was just curious.....

I read that too Dave...kind of bothered me.

USNAviator
10-24-10, 12:37 PM
And you're right, two books like that are a handful, lots and lots of work involved, guess it depends on the writer's dedication etc

Maybe Shannon should ask our resident author and Iwo Marine, Bob Allen. He's actually written a book and had it published. But some how, I don't think Bob goes around calling himself an author

wildwoman73
10-24-10, 12:54 PM
Ya...I don't know though dcb188. I didn't join the Corps with a purpose to watch someone take his/her last breath. It was an honor, courage, committment thing. I learned and aquired respect, integrity, and loyalty once I "earned" the patch. You have to earn the patch to wear it...to truly understand it. I have my club patch. And I have your back. Anything else...I call bullsh*t. But...what do I know. I've never been in combat. Got alot of cat calls, but hell, that was before the Corps too. So does that count or not?

wildwoman73
10-24-10, 01:07 PM
Well...I'm not sharing anything then! I'm going to get my spiral notebook and crayons. I have some work to do!!

ShannonL
10-24-10, 01:12 PM
To answer questions as to what my intentions or thoughts are. I am writing only one book. A VERY WELL researched book with characters built on VERY strong foundations...input from real Marines. I want to put the reader in your boots and to do that I have to ask questions on all topics. The Marine Corps will have females in their ranks until the Corps no longer exists. My book has female grunts and officers, I need to portray them properly. I dont get off on reading your pain from watching a Brother or Sister die. Some of my charaters will die...that is the nature of war. How does it feel, no book can tell me because I have never been able to ask a page a question. You all enlisted for honour and thats the best reason...I commend you all for saying "F'ck off scum, the free will not be harmed by you today."

Watching movies or reading book on the subject give me outside knowledge but not inside. I want you to be able to identify with a character and shout oorah! when he/she storms a hill. I want the non-Marine reader to learn what it is tobe a Marine, I also want to kill some of the bad PR surrounding you guys.

USNAviator
10-24-10, 01:17 PM
, I also want to kill some of the bad PR surrounding you guys.

"Bad PR"? Care to clarify that one?

wildwoman73
10-24-10, 01:20 PM
OHHHH! Ok..gotcha. Who's going to be your publisher? Where will they market this book. Or are you only going to keep a copy for yourself. Because I don't think I'll be in South Africa anytime soon and if it's going to be about VERY strong foundations and VERY WELL researched...by gholly, I want a copy!!

usmc987332
10-24-10, 01:24 PM
Hello Marines

I am interested in knowing what its like serving and fighting from your perspective. I am an author and writing a book about Marines in the future and I want to know what goes through the mind of a woman when capping a dishonourable coward in Afgan or where-ever?
Good luck with your book. Sounds like a very ineresting subject. Let us know when you get a publisher and the name of the book.

ShannonL
10-24-10, 01:31 PM
Publishing and marketing is not the issue. As for PR...Many think Marines are trigger happy killers in the deserts and what not. People dont understand why a fire fight breaks out and innocent civilians get killed in the crossfire...stuff like that. I never said I wanted to see someone killed...at least i dont remember stating that. Sometimes my mind moves faster than my hands and I end up leaving letters even words out of my sentances, So I revise everything more often. I'm a civ wanting to understand Marines and share it. I shall not nor will not put bad light on any Marine. Many of you Marines shaped the world by being the end to evil. I'm sorry if I'm misunderstood...It was bound to happen.

Old Marine
10-24-10, 01:42 PM
To answer questions as to what my intentions or thoughts are. I am writing only one book. A VERY WELL researched book with characters built on VERY strong foundations...input from real Marines. I want to put the reader in your boots and to do that I have to ask questions on all topics. The Marine Corps will have females in their ranks until the Corps no longer exists. My book has female grunts and officers, I need to portray them properly. I dont get off on reading your pain from watching a Brother or Sister die. Some of my charaters will die...that is the nature of war. How does it feel, no book can tell me because I have never been able to ask a page a question. You all enlisted for honour and thats the best reason...I commend you all for saying "F'ck off scum, the free will not be harmed by you today."

Watching movies or reading book on the subject give me outside knowledge but not inside. I want you to be able to identify with a character and shout oorah! when he/she storms a hill. I want the non-Marine reader to learn what it is tobe a Marine, I also want to kill some of the bad PR surrounding you guys.

I believe you have been watching way too many G.I. Jane type movies.

As far as I know, there is not one 0300 infantry type WM in the Marine Corps.

Since this book sounds like it will be a fiction novel, I do not think that any of the info you are requesting is available.

Good luck with your book though. :evilgrin:

usmc987332
10-24-10, 01:44 PM
Good question. I asked Shannon back on 9/21 how books he has written, his answer

" <TABLE id=post700233 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" class=thead><!-- / status icon and date -->

</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" class=thead align=right>#15 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showpost.php?p=700233&postcount=15) </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px solid" class="alt2 postbit_info" width=175>ShannonL (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=77752)<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_700233", true); </SCRIPT>
Marine Friend
Free Member (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/payments.php)
Credits: 85

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(181,177,177) 1px solid" id=td_post_700233 class=alt1><!-- message -->Sadley my first...If you dont believe it you cant be it. Many of you knew you were Marines before you walked into the recruiters post.

I want my first book to be as realistic as possible. I want you Marines to want to go drinking with my characters. I want readers to walk in Marine boots and learn that war aint all glory...but marred with mailce and terrors which you Marines have experianced. I respect all of you and thats why I'm here to learn from you guys and honour the Corps and ALL of its members...

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I don't think they are going to tell you. Be careful, the guys who will are you a line of BS.

wildwoman73
10-24-10, 01:49 PM
Oh wow...ShannonL, did you know if you googled your first and last name along with your date of birth and location you have posted...there is a website that has some pretty "non-positive" things to say about our country in general as well as some of our service members?

Boy, I don't know about you, but if I was in your boots, I'd check that out. I'd be worried my resources would think I had anything to do with it.

ShannonL
10-24-10, 01:51 PM
Sadly I dont think so either...guess I'll have to look at moveing on. I wont publish till its right.

Marines it has been a HONOUR talking with you all and I have learned alot....not enough, but alot none the less. The scope I chose for my book is from the Marines eyes, his/her feelings, fears, wants and desires. To do that requires true openess...it's a hard thing to do I understand that. I would like to thank those that have helped me so far. God bless you all.

ShannonL
10-24-10, 01:59 PM
Shannon, I owe you an apology and hereby apologize to you. I now see where you said you would LIKE to see what it is LIKE to see a fellow Marine die, or words to that effect, and I mis-read it. Not my first mistake and hardly my last. My previous mistake was yesterday and the next one I'll make will be tomorrow.
But I must stand corrected in front of everyone. You did indeed say LIKE, not that you wanted to see it yourself, unless there is some mention of it somewhere else.
So I stand corrected and want every to know it.

Thank you very much Marine, mistakes happen and thats the way the world works...no offence taken in any way. there is alot of kak that surrounds warriors and why they are where they are and for what reason. If people understand the Marine way then they will understand that raping women in Vietnam and shooting at defenceless civs in desert storm and whatever as some stories make thier rounds. Perhaps one or two slip through the cracks, but 99% of Marines arn't like that. I want the people to really learn what a Marine is and what this flag means and represents:flag:

Wyoming
10-24-10, 02:01 PM
Oh wow...ShannonL, did you know if you googled your first and last name along with your date of birth and location you have posted...there is a website that has some pretty "non-positive" things to say about our country in general as well as some of our service members?

Boy, I don't know about you, but if I was in your boots, I'd check that out. I'd be worried my resources would think I had anything to do with it.

Nothing I love better than a resourceful Gal, handy with a keyboard. One that can walk about a computer and make it talk.

I'd like to hear the reply, from ShannonL.

(About all I can do is look up flyfishing stuff, and mapquest a place to drift.)

ShannonL
10-24-10, 02:03 PM
You can stay and talk about your website, can't you?

I'm not running from talking about my website. It is a forum where civ and warriors can talk openly about weaponry, sadly I have been very busy in my life to really work on it. If anything there is disrespectful then please say so. Let me hear it. It has to have a balance between civilian and soldier.

wildwoman73
10-24-10, 02:17 PM
Could be just a fluke dcb188. Makes me want to google my name, date of birth and location....just to see what kind of scuttlebutt is out there on me!!

ShannonL
10-24-10, 02:19 PM
Oh no, I didn't say anything about running, not at all. You were saying good-bye and it came right on the heels of wonderwoman's discovery, is all.

Warlordarms my site is part of my company Warlord Arms cc. I restore antiques edged weaponary and ETC. I have restored some amazing antiques and preserved the history etched in the weapon. Its my passion, a hobby I have loved since I could walk.

I am an open book, I hide nothing when it come to this. I have had many good people come to me with forgeries saying that they paid a small fortune for because it could be restored into a very valuable item. Its very sad to burst thier bubble. Katanas are usually the object of forgery. I worked in the weapons industry for five years and I learned alot about the true quality of a weapon. I never sold for comm but for quality, that has never changed, I'd rather sell you a cheap strong hammer than an expensive frail one...get my meaning?

ShannonL
10-24-10, 02:25 PM
There are two Shannon Larratt's in this world...one in Canada and the other in South Africa (me). Check on Facebook. Warlord Arms in my sig is the only Site I run. I will never dis a Warrior...unless its a coward.

USNAviator
10-24-10, 02:36 PM
There are two Shannon Larratt's in this world...one in Canada and the other in South Africa (me). Check on Facebook. Warlord Arms in my sig is the only Site I run. I will never dis a Warrior...unless its a coward.

Well I for one am glad to hear that. A few years ago my wife and I visited friends in Johannesburg, beautiful city. Lorrie loved to shop and she dragged me to this huge shopping area, I guess it's the largest in all of South Africa but for the life of me I can't think of it's name. I know it's not Hyde Park......ring a bell???

Dave you made a mistake not only today but also yesterday? This will have to stop or the beatings will continue:D

wildwoman73
10-24-10, 02:39 PM
Not all his fault.

ShannonL
10-24-10, 02:42 PM
That restoring arms must be a tough thing to do, I would imagine that takes skills far beyond that of most folks-----I wouldn't know the difference between a fake sword and one from the Middle Ages

That is why I opened doors so to speak. I hate it when good people get f'cked. It takes patience and care, you cant use machines because you can make a mistake that is irreversable. I' ve seen a 1674 Katana that was buffed and sanded with powertools...sadly it lost it value, now just a piece of old steel. 400 years lost in three minutes.

Your Ka-Bars you all have, those that served, many on the scratches and chips, dings etc all have a story. To have it buffed away is would be very sad. I remove rust and certain chips and dings made by fools. I preserve all that I can for the future. I educate the collecters and I hope I never work on the same sword or daggar (etc)again.

ShannonL
10-24-10, 02:51 PM
Well I for one am glad to hear that. A few years ago my wife and I visited friends in Johannesburg, beautiful city. Lorrie loved to shop and she dragged me to this huge shopping area, I guess it's the largest in all of South Africa but for the life of me I can't think of it's name. I know it's not Hyde Park......ring a bell???

Dave you made a mistake not only today but also yesterday? This will have to stop or the beatings will continue:D

Hyde Park rings a bell for sure. Ever go to Sandton City? I worked at a shop called Sharp Edge, Sharp Shooter. Look I understand mistakes happen, its all good. Wildwoman73, dcb 188 and MOS1310. I understand where you all are coming from. 100%. You honour the memories of all Marines...I'm gonna break rule 6 now...

Semper Fi Marines

Anyway. I've got torn clothes here from the flying ordinace and I'm waving the flag. If I **** anyone off, Its not my intention.

ShannonL
10-24-10, 03:01 PM
I saw something like that, not weapons, but at Civil War cartridge box or ammo box, the U.S oval plate on it was buffed and shined up and right there it lost most of its value, went from 300 down to about 40 merely because it was shined up, people want the original stuff, so I can imagine weapons worth hundreds or thousands, being made worthless by an attempt at restoration

Its a sad sight indeed...I worked on a Admirals sword from 1795, Rear Admiral for British Navy, It once had rubies in its eyes...stolen of course over the years. Some chop chipped the blade and tried sharpening it with a grinder of some sort, I worked two solid weeks on it and the quality of the German steel worked well in its favour. I got the scratches off and managed to sharpen it the right way, kept it value. The look on the owners face said it all. His father won it as a price in 32 or 34 Olympic Games for fencing...an uncle or cousan damaged the blade. His fathers memory was honoured in his eyes...the other reason why I do it.

ShannonL
10-24-10, 03:04 PM
ShannonL let me let you in on something-----lately there has been a lot of questionable activity here, so everyone is careful, that's all it is, no more no less and it certainly isn't personal in any way shape or form. It's just life, just reality. The BS that has been slung, and more, by not well-meaning folks but by ill-meaning folks, makes it so that no one knows who is who, so you get probing inquiries.

Ask me anything and I'll answer. I am a man of Honour. Some say I was born too late...anyway.

ShannonL
10-24-10, 03:15 PM
Absolutely alright Marine. I'll be back on is 8 hours...you'll probably be asleep.

sstrsoldier
10-28-10, 12:51 PM
ShannonL:

It was just like it was for the men ... except at a moments notice I was expected to wash off the mud and march in heels with lips and eyes done. I was a marine and a lady which takes a very unique person..... I loved the corps. tell me what you are looking for and I will give you as much detail as possible...

Mac

ShannonL
10-29-10, 03:05 PM
ShannonL:

It was just like it was for the men ... except at a moments notice I was expected to wash off the mud and march in heels with lips and eyes done. I was a marine and a lady which takes a very unique person..... I loved the corps. tell me what you are looking for and I will give you as much detail as possible...

Mac

A lady and a Marine...unique for sure! I posted this in no 8.

I'm not just wanting to talk to shooters, I just wanted to know what it's like for a woman to come home and dash all of mommy and daddy's dreams of her being a paralegal with pretty long nails and styled hair. And walk in a full fledged Marine. What was it like to walk up to the recruiters post and sign your name, gawked at by males around you. To go through training and surpass all expectations and prededuce's and earn the right of passage into the halls of the warriors and honour. Whats base life like? there must be vast differences in the base and field. My book will have female Marines, a female Gunnery Sergeant as well. I want it to be right.

...You come from Marine home? Basically I want to know whats it is like. PM anytime Marine. Thank you very much for stepping forward. I wont disrepect of dishonour you or any Marine...male or female.

wildwoman73
10-29-10, 09:54 PM
A lady and a Marine...unique for sure! I posted this in no 8.

...You come from Marine home? Basically I want to know whats it is like. PM anytime Marine. Thank you very much for stepping forward. I wont disrepect of dishonour you or any Marine...male or female.

You have to take into consideration that women work in a mans world. This has been going on for decades. Mommy and Daddy's dreams may very well been just get a job so you are on your own. Like my parents. They cared less about an education. I was a work horse at an early age so they never had to spend a dime on me. I showed cattle and scrubbed their coats with my bare fingernails so my nails/hands always looked like working hands anyway.

Marines(males) gawking at a female are no different than any Joe Schmoe on the street with a Phd in Bum-101. Marines may have actually had a little more respect about it. If by chance they didn't, they were squared away RIGHT away. There...some of my experience and input.

wildwoman73
10-29-10, 09:56 PM
Oh ya...if you talk to any Marine...every marine...we are ALL basic riflemen/women. It's a requirement. No pass, no play kind of deal. That is what you are talking about right?

Mongoose
10-30-10, 07:53 AM
Shannon L, let me say a few things. I think women join the Marines for much the same reasons men do. There is several other branches to choose from. We choose the Corps because we want to be part of the best. Women Marines have hard training, just like thier male counter parts. I for one would not object to women Marines serving in a full combat role, on a volenteer basis. Train them with a rifle co. If they can stand up to it, and carry thier own weight. So be it. Im sure there are those that would argue this point. But I for one, wouldnt hesitate a moment going into combat with women Marines that has the determination and guts to do so. I have the deepest respect for women that choose to be part of the Marine Corps. I never underestimate the ability of a woman to do what needs to be done.

EGA1957
10-30-10, 09:28 AM
Oh ya...if you talk to any Marine...every marine...we are ALL basic riflemen/women. It's a requirement. No pass, no play kind of deal. That is what you are talking about right?
Does that apply in the discussion in the other thread about The Crucible? What is the WM's equivalent if there is a difference?

wildwoman73
10-30-10, 12:27 PM
Does that apply in the discussion in the other thread about The Crucible? What is the WM's equivalent if there is a difference?

Most likely does. I haven't read that one yet.

ShannonL
10-30-10, 01:08 PM

I wouldn't think there is a difference, you can't have different programs of training. The enemy and the field don't care who/what you are. I don't think there is or should be a difference.

ShannonL
11-01-10, 12:49 AM

Kinda. When did you know you wanted to be a Marine, what called you? How did your parents feel when you left the farm life for Marine life. Did you tell them that the farm worker was going to become a Marine or did a transport come pick you up?

wildwoman73
11-01-10, 09:24 AM
I knew going into my second year of college that I was military bound. What branch, I wasn't sure. I taught dance, managed a retail store, did secretarial work for a local attorney and went to school full time. Bored....I was utterly bored. My parents were still stirring up dust after a bitter divorce so I doubt they ever took me seriously until I jumped on an airplane. My recruiter made that happen. The day I left, I tossed my truck keys to my Mother and told her to use it as a trade in and get herself something decent to drive.

I knew I would be a Marine the day I decided to visit all recruiting stations. Each did their preliminary visit bs. Height, weight, "can you pour pizz out of a boot if the directions were on the heel" type stuff. At 5ft 9in and 130lbs soaking wet, the Air Force told me I needed to lose weight. Honestly, I bypassed the Army door because at that phase in life, I was very displeased with my father and he had been in the Army when I was a kid. I didn't need or want his advice. I walked into the Navy recruiter's station. They were very kind and informative. Very welcoming. I took a deep breath and opened the door to the Marine office. After being treated well in the other offices and hearing all kinds of promises, I jokingly said "Ok, where do I sign up? I'm ready". I was met at eye level (because when someone walked in the door, they all stood) by a Sgt. He twitched his brow and said "Well, just wait a minute 'Missy'...I don't know if I WANT you in MY Corps.". From that moment. It. Was. On!!

I was a happy go lucky girl. Millions of friends. Worked hard. Accomplished so much in my short life of 19 years old. And it appeared as if it were my own father standing in front of me, telling me "I can't". Cheerleader, cattle raiser, student council, equestrian, basketball, track, county queen's court, choir....I had my hands in everything during high school and college. I juggled many hats to stay busy but mostly for acceptance from my own parents. Barely got a pat on the back most times. Every crowd I stood in front of for whatever award, my parents smiled as if "That's my girl. She gets that from me.".

"I don't know if I WANT you in MY Marine Corps."....that flipped the switch. I became selfish from that moment on in my life. It was about ME and what I wanted to make MINE.

I didn't know it until I came home from boot, but I felt more pride and acceptance. It didn't matter if it was said or emitted from others. I became a Marine and NOBODY did it for me. I did it myself. I made the Marine Corps mine and nobody could lay claim to that accomplishment.

Mongoose
11-01-10, 11:38 AM
As Ive said before. Its hard to stop a woman with guts and determination.

ladyboss50
11-01-10, 06:49 PM
Hi Shannon! Thanks for writing the book and for being willing to share with others what it is like serving in the best FIGHTING FORCE in the WORLD! When I stood on the yellow foot prints of Parris Island, it was January 1987. I was newly engaged, excited about the chance to serve my country (and join my then fiance in the Corps) and ultimately earn my degree via the GI Bill. When I visited the recruiting office, a Navy guy saw me walking toward the USMC office and said 'Where are you going?' When I replied that I was going to enlist in the Marines, his comment was 'You look too good to go into the Marine Corps, you need to go into the Navy or the Air Force! Now I am pretty girly, but I have an inner RUTHLESSNESS, that allowed me to really enjoy my all too short time in the Marine Corps. I served as the lay leader of my platoon (that means I led Bible study, and helped out in church services at the recruit chapel). I was the honor grad at my MOS school - and was accused of sleeping my way to the honor. Never mind that I studied ALL of the time at 29 Palms (like what else is there to do except to go down to San Diego or Palm Springs-I did that too with some of my fellow WMs). As a 2531 (which was the old MOS number for Field Radio Operators), I was the training NCO for my comm platoon (8th Engineer Support Battalion) at Camp Lejeune-but could not often go out to the field because there were no other women in the units going out for training. There was even one male Marine who bet a couple of other guys that he was going to be able to sleep with me before my husband returned from overseas. Despite all of that, my experiences in the MARINE CORPS have helped me throughout life, especially when I am working in my present position as a middle school assistant principal. PLUS, maintaining my bearing really helps when dealing with unruly children and very interesting parents! Would I do it all again? ABSOLUTELY, but probably at a younger age and before I got married or had children.

ShannonL
11-02-10, 12:14 PM
Thank you very much for your replies. This is why I'm here. To get the full story...I can imagine a loud mouthed parent shouting and disrepecting Ladyboss50 here and her standing up and making her drill instructor proud and putting the pleb in his/her place. (every kick that Marines nads into his throat?)

wildwoman73
11-02-10, 04:13 PM
Hahaha! ShannonL you are VICIOUS!! Lady Marines don't "kick that Marine's nads into his throat".....they "GRAB!! TWIST!! PULL!! GRAB!!" Yes...that was actually a line training ditty. No sh*t.

usmc987332
11-02-10, 07:34 PM
Hi Shannon! Thanks for writing the book and for being willing to share with others what it is like serving in the best FIGHTING FORCE in the WORLD! When I stood on the yellow foot prints of Parris Island, it was January 1987. I was newly engaged, excited about the chance to serve my country (and join my then fiance in the Corps) and ultimately earn my degree via the GI Bill. When I visited the recruiting office, a Navy guy saw me walking toward the USMC office and said 'Where are you going?' When I replied that I was going to enlist in the Marines, his comment was 'You look too good to go into the Marine Corps, you need to go into the Navy or the Air Force! Now I am pretty girly, but I have an inner RUTHLESSNESS, that allowed me to really enjoy my all too short time in the Marine Corps. I served as the lay leader of my platoon (that means I led Bible study, and helped out in church services at the recruit chapel). I was the honor grad at my MOS school - and was accused of sleeping my way to the honor. Never mind that I studied ALL of the time at 29 Palms (like what else is there to do except to go down to San Diego or Palm Springs-I did that too with some of my fellow WMs). As a 2531 (which was the old MOS number for Field Radio Operators), I was the training NCO for my comm platoon (8th Engineer Support Battalion) at Camp Lejeune-but could not often go out to the field because there were no other women in the units going out for training. There was even one male Marine who bet a couple of other guys that he was going to be able to sleep with me before my husband returned from overseas. Despite all of that, my experiences in the MARINE CORPS have helped me throughout life, especially when I am working in my present position as a middle school assistant principal. PLUS, maintaining my bearing really helps when dealing with unruly children and very interesting parents! Would I do it all again? ABSOLUTELY, but probably at a younger age and before I got married or had children.
That last sentence interests me. What is your thoughts on being married with young children and being in the Corps at the same time?

Marine84
11-02-10, 08:16 PM
Oh OK.......................myself, like wildwoman, was absolutely bored to tears in a smaaaaaaalllllll town. I was 23 when I went in. I took a year off after high school, had a couple of jobs, went to a Tech school for 2 years and was only 3 courses shy of a degree and said "FK THIS $H!T" and came up with the only answer there was to get me out quicker than the military. So off I went to the local Recruiting Office and went in the AF door (my whole line of thinking was I wanted to fly and the AF flies). He didn't have a good enough "sales pitch" cause I left his office telling him I would think about it.

The MC Recruiter saw me and came out to the parking lot and told me that he didn't think I needed to talk to the AF and that I should come in HIS office and listen to him for a few minutes. LOL! He told me that I was going to spend the next 4 years battin' my big, pretty, brown eyes and smilin' getting anything I wanted! Told me I could fly whatever. Well, in 1984, I wouldn't have been able to fly a KITE, much less a kazillion $ jet.

I lucked out though. I went in open contract and ended up in Ordnance. Had a blast EVERYWHERE I went and the job itself wasn't that bad either. I met some of the most awesome people that have ever gone through my life. I had waaaaaay too much fun to be miserable about anything. Sexual harrassment? What's THAT? When I checked into my last duty station, the Top that I was going to be working for told me that I was going to be working in the office with him and I had to wear Charlies (with a skirt) on Fridays because he liked my legs. All I could do was smile and wear that skirt every Friday.

To a lot of us women, we didn't have any kind of preconceived notion of what we were getting into but, we realized we were stepping into a MAN'S world. If we couldn't take the heat in the kitchen, we would have to get the hell out. The ones of us that made it had to have some pretty thick skin. I can't tell you how many times I heard "I don't know why they let women in MY Marine Corps" and "You don't deserve to wear the uniform".......................that was MY motivation AND, to top it all off, I looked fking HOT in uniform and civilian attire!

Best thing I ever did for myself and, hell yeah, I would do it again...................but, only if I could be 23 again.

ShannonL
11-03-10, 12:09 AM
Hahaha! ShannonL you are VICIOUS!! Lady Marines don't "kick that Marine's nads into his throat".....they "GRAB!! TWIST!! PULL!! GRAB!!" Yes...that was actually a line training ditty. No sh*t.

I hope to never anger a female Marine...

ShannonL
11-03-10, 12:15 AM
Oh OK.......................myself, like wildwoman, was absolutely bored to tears in a smaaaaaaalllllll town. I was 23 when I went in. I took a year off after high school, had a couple of jobs, went to a Tech school for 2 years and was only 3 courses shy of a degree and said "FK THIS $H!T" and came up with the only answer there was to get me out quicker than the military. So off I went to the local Recruiting Office and went in the AF door (my whole line of thinking was I wanted to fly and the AF flies). He didn't have a good enough "sales pitch" cause I left his office telling him I would think about it.

The MC Recruiter saw me and came out to the parking lot and told me that he didn't think I needed to talk to the AF and that I should come in HIS office and listen to him for a few minutes. LOL! He told me that I was going to spend the next 4 years battin' my big, pretty, brown eyes and smilin' getting anything I wanted! Told me I could fly whatever. Well, in 1984, I wouldn't have been able to fly a KITE, much less a kazillion $ jet.

I lucked out though. I went in open contract and ended up in Ordnance. Had a blast EVERYWHERE I went and the job itself wasn't that bad either. I met some of the most awesome people that have ever gone through my life. I had waaaaaay too much fun to be miserable about anything. Sexual harrassment? What's THAT? When I checked into my last duty station, the Top that I was going to be working for told me that I was going to be working in the office with him and I had to wear Charlies (with a skirt) on Fridays because he liked my legs. All I could do was smile and wear that skirt every Friday.

To a lot of us women, we didn't have any kind of preconceived notion of what we were getting into but, we realized we were stepping into a MAN'S world. If we couldn't take the heat in the kitchen, we would have to get the hell out. The ones of us that made it had to have some pretty thick skin. I can't tell you how many times I heard "I don't know why they let women in MY Marine Corps" and "You don't deserve to wear the uniform".......................that was MY motivation AND, to top it all off, I looked fking HOT in uniform and civilian attire!

Best thing I ever did for myself and, hell yeah, I would do it again...................but, only if I could be 23 again.

Thank you Marine. I bet you dont take kak in your life.

Snelheid
11-03-10, 09:33 AM
I am new to this forum... Feel free to check my profile, I am working on getting it done, just wanting to be detailed and accurate so you all don't chase me away...

I graduated high school in 1999, and spent two years working as a paramedic for a company that hated women. I was 5'5" tall and maybe 100lbs, but strong from growing up on a beef farm, and working with horses. I had to prove myself to get on an ambulance, and fight everyday to prove I was strong enough for the job. I did that and more! I loved the work, and was loving my life... One day (after a good drunken night) I woke up hung over and while stumbling around my little apartment realized that I wanted more in life. I had always wanted to join the Marine Corps, and had been running weekly with the recruiters since my senior year. I thought I should finish college first and then enlist, but that morning I realized how stupid that was. I headed out to my local recruiters office, walked in and told him I was ready to go. I went to MEPS two days later, and shipped within the month. I stood on the yellow footprints thinking to myself "what the ---- have you done", but that was the last time that thought crossed my mind... The moment I stepped through the silver hatch I knew I was right where I was meant to be. MCRD PI to SOI-E to NBC School at Leonard Wood (how 4421 turned into 5711 I will never know... typo I guess) and finally to the fleet, I was home. I worded along side mostly male Marines, and for the most part they treated me as an equal. I was lucky enough to be surrounded by good honest and hardworking Marines, and learned more about myself than I ever thought possible. If I had it my way, I would have stayed in the Corps forever. Sadly, in 2007, my leg was shattered, and after 6 months of rehab it was discovered that the nerve damage was permanent, and that meant it was time for me to go home. Now I am a Sheriffs Deputy in my little county, and use many of the skills taught to me by the Corps in my everyday life. I am a ceremonial horseman with an Army Horse Platoon, working with local recruiters showing the world what Marines can do. (I am the only Marine in the unit...) Now, a few years later with the help of some amazing doctors, I am attempting to re-enlist so that I may go back to doing what I miss so much.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-03-10, 06:45 PM
Welcome aboard Snelheid!

As well as a hearty welcome to Wildwoman! Ya'll remind me of my wife LOL. She doesn't come on here but reads much of what's written. (PI in 1986, 'Wing admin 0151 until 1991 EAS).

Semper Fi to ALL 'WM's'...a title that was proudly earned!

wildwoman73
11-03-10, 08:47 PM
Thank you.

ShannonL
11-05-10, 12:32 AM
Welcome aboard Snelheid!

As well as a hearty welcome to Wildwoman! Ya'll remind me of my wife LOL. She doesn't come on here but reads much of what's written. (PI in 1986, 'Wing admin 0151 until 1991 EAS).

Semper Fi to ALL 'WM's'...a title that was proudly earned!

Agreed!

Snelheid
11-05-10, 06:49 AM
Thanks~ Ma Kau Kau

Mongoose
11-05-10, 07:22 AM
JK, I wish you luck on getting back in. Welcome aboard, Marine.

ShannonL
11-09-10, 12:04 AM
Any combat Marines? I wanna hear from your perspective. Women think differently to men, so I need the words of a woman for my book. Whats a firefight like in your words.