PDA

View Full Version : Hair.. =/

dionna23
09-19-10, 02:12 PM
Hello Poolees!!

I am having trouble figuring out what to do with my hair. i know im not gonna have time to do anything with it while im at Boot Camp. Buht i was just going to get braids the weekend before so it would be alot easier to manage. but i was also wondering if twists were allowed. i know dreads aren't allowed so i wanted to know if twists fell into that category. my hair is VERY curly. like... VERRY curly. advice? tips from any one.. but again I KNOW im not gonna have time to worry about my hair i just wanna make sure i wont HAVE to.

Rough Hands
09-19-10, 02:24 PM
I would say just go with braids 'cause I'm pretty sure you can get away with that; anything other than a sock-bun, or short cropped hair is kind of questionable.

Meagan92
09-19-10, 02:35 PM
OKay, well first off i know if you have braids they have to be straight back, and ive also heard from a female Marine that you DO get time to do your hair at night, and it will stay in a bun for a couple of days till you shower next, she told me that you only shower like once or twice a week. So you wouldnt have to deal with putting your hair in a bun every night. As for me im not cutting my hair.
Hopefully this helps!

dionna23
09-19-10, 02:51 PM
Thanks. yea i think im just gonna do braids. because i leave nxt month on the 11th so.. lol not much time for anything

pattchan
09-19-10, 05:01 PM
shave your hair. go GI jane :D

shadox
09-19-10, 05:15 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth!

RBrouse
09-20-10, 12:57 AM
Agreed:thumbup:

Rough Hands
09-20-10, 01:22 AM
Thanks. yea i think im just gonna do braids. because i leave nxt month on the 11th so.. lol not much time for anything

Me too!!! 22 days left... Well, more like 21!

So many people have told me to do this! Oh, goodness... lol

Tony Fleri
09-20-10, 04:53 PM
she told me that you only shower like once or twice a week.

Im pretttty much almost 100 % positive that they MAKE you shower every night...just think if people only took showers once or twice a week how easy it would be to get some type of infection or skin diseases from sweat. Higiene is very important and they do checks every night.

Rough Hands
09-20-10, 05:52 PM
Im pretttty much almost 100 % positive that they MAKE you shower every night...just think if people only took showers once or twice a week how easy it would be to get some type of infection or skin diseases from sweat. Higiene is very important and they do checks every night.

This is not the first time I've heard that you don't take showers very often - don't expect to be taking showers every night; boot camp is meant to mimic combat stress, and you don't really take showers in combat environments. Even when you do take showers, majority of them are going to be 10 seconds at best.

You might have bodily inspections from your Drill Instructors nightly, but it's to make sure you don't have open wounds, or broken limbs. It's not that in-depth, as far as I know. Everybody gets sick, and plenty of people end up with cellulitis, which is why it is so important that you DON'T SCRATCH. The only way you're really going to end up with any kind of serious skin infection or "disease", is if you have open insect bites, open wounds, or if you scratch and cause irritation.

Also, don't expect to be wearing clean cammies all the time, either.

ScarSniper
09-20-10, 06:28 PM

Zac Efron. In the Marines? lol. J/k man..but to me you kinda look like him. lol

sparkie
09-20-10, 07:25 PM
Shower every nite, every morning. and alot o rinses after PT. What you think my Marine Corps is, A pig farm? You WILL see videos of proper hygene. Do it.

Damm Blind leading the blind. can't believe I put up with this.

sparkie
09-20-10, 07:45 PM
And braids for 3 months? Won't you start to smell like a dead Bob Marley?

Tony Fleri
09-20-10, 08:58 PM
Shower every nite, every morning. and alot o rinses after PT. What you think my Marine Corps is, A pig farm? You WILL see videos of proper hygene. Do it.

Damm Blind leading the blind. can't believe I put up with this.

exactly

Tony Fleri
09-20-10, 09:01 PM
Zac Efron. In the Marines? lol. J/k man..but to me you kinda look like him. lol

and what?! haha ive never heard someone tell me i look like zac efron before hmm intresting

Kiri
09-21-10, 10:41 AM
Try the sock-bun. I have hair halfway down my back and I'm not cutting it. My cousins showed me how to do it but I'm still getting the hang of it. When they put it in it didn't get loose at all all day. That's probably your best bet besides cutting it.

Good luck next month.

dionna23
09-22-10, 07:58 AM
Haha.

No. I always have my braids in for three months lol.
Bob marley has dreads. Dreads and braids are toootally different lol.
Ew.

And braids for 3 months? Won't you start to smell like a dead Bob Marley?

dionna23
09-22-10, 08:01 AM
Try the sock-bun. I have hair halfway down my back and I'm not cutting it. My cousins showed me how to do it but I'm still getting the hang of it. When they put it in it didn't get loose at all all day. That's probably your best bet besides cutting it.

Good luck next month.

Thanks. I believe i can still put my micro's in a bun. my hair is not manageable now so i KNOW it ownt be managable for three months with little time to deal with it.

HEY! I have 18 days left before boot! gosh it's really starting to set in but i dont think it's gonna fully set in until i get there ;o

But thanks again

tlynnfox
09-29-10, 09:38 PM
Wow hair should be the least of your problem,lol. I have curly hair and i cut mine. Just cut it it's HAIR. It grows back. If it's short it won't be a problem.

Rough Hands
09-30-10, 12:23 AM
Wow hair should be the least of your problem,lol. I have curly hair and i cut mine. Just cut it it's HAIR. It grows back. If it's short it won't be a problem.

She doesn't want to cut her hair and she wanted to know what her options were. Sock buns and braids are within regulations; not everybody has to go and chop it all off or go G.I. Jane.

dionna23
09-30-10, 07:36 AM
She doesn't want to cut her hair and she wanted to know what her options were. Sock buns and braids are within regulations; not everybody has to go and chop it all off or go G.I. Jane.

You're Right i don't WANT to cut my hair. but i have trimmed it. I'm still getting my braids though (getting them done on saturday) My firt choice would not be to cut my hair. I just need something that i'll be able to NOT have to deal wth.

tlynnfox: Our hair textures are TOTALLY different lol. Me cutting my hair might be just the same as you cutting yours but the out comes... would be totally different. lol

tlynnfox
10-04-10, 06:50 AM
Oh i'm sorry lol, I didn't see your picture until now. Our textures are way different. Braids would be a good choice though since washing your hair is minimal lol. I hate having my hair short, like it's to my shoulders. I wonder if I put my extensions back in if that'd be in regulations?

And I didn't mean all girls should go G.I. Jane it's just easier to have to not deal with if your hair is short, simple as that. But short hairs obviously not for everyone (myself included).

dionna23
10-04-10, 07:23 AM
Oh i'm sorry lol, I didn't see your picture until now. Our textures are way different. Braids would be a good choice though since washing your hair is minimal lol. I hate having my hair short, like it's to my shoulders. I wonder if I put my extensions back in if that'd be in regulations?

And I didn't mean all girls should go G.I. Jane it's just easier to have to not deal with if your hair is short, simple as that. But short hairs obviously not for everyone (myself included).

Ha. I'm going to cut mine after boot. i just didn't want to now because i dont want to deal with it. and yea i just got them done saturday. i'll put a pic up. Im pretty sure extensions SHOULD still be good. My recruiter told me anything was fine as long as it was appropriate.

Rough Hands
10-04-10, 10:15 AM
Yeah, so... I'm pretty sure I'm gonna' cut my hair this week. Not sure how I'm gonna' do it (with scissors, harhar.), but it's going to happen.

dionna23
10-04-10, 10:29 AM
Yeah, so... I'm pretty sure I'm gonna' cut my hair this week. Not sure how I'm gonna' do it (with scissors, harhar.), but it's going to happen.

haha how short is your hair now?.. er.. long?

Rough Hands
10-04-10, 01:09 PM
haha how short is your hair now?.. er.. long?

I'd say mid-back length. One of the last things I wanna worry about in boot camp is my hair, so I think it has to go.

dionna23
10-04-10, 01:18 PM
I'd say mid-back length. One of the last things I wanna worry about in boot camp is my hair, so I think it has to go.

I compleetly understand :]

Alissa
10-04-10, 09:45 PM
how short did you cut it? i cut mine to a little below my shoulders but i'm still having trouble with the whole bun thing.

dionna23
10-05-10, 07:06 AM
how short did you cut it? i cut mine to a little below my shoulders but i'm still having trouble with the whole bun thing.

wait.. your hair HAS to be long enough to put in a bun? i wanted to cut mine like right above my shoulders.. nd if YOU're having trouble with the bun then i know i will. =/

Alissa
10-05-10, 12:19 PM
oh no you don't have to put it in a bun it can be above your shoulders without a bun. but my hair would be horrible to deal with if it was not in a bun.

dionna23
10-05-10, 12:33 PM
oh no you don't have to put it in a bun it can be above your shoulders without a bun. but my hair would be horrible to deal with if it was not in a bun.

yea mine too if i dont have a relaxer. and i haven't had on in forever. so.. im gonna do that when i get back from boot.

noviatt
10-08-10, 03:06 PM
I say you guys are lucky if you can put it in a bun. I have short hair (though I think it's about long enough to be considered 'medium length') and it's really annoying to manage sometimes. Especially because I usually have choppy, uneven cuts with stupid cowlicks. lol I would totally go GI Jane if it was authorized, haha. Instead I'm gonna ship with hair almost to my chin, lookin like a retard. Oh well, whatever it takes eh? :P

Webbkyl
10-08-10, 06:57 PM
I grew mine out just so I could put it up. Short hair's great, but not to PT with, and especially not every day.

noviatt
10-09-10, 09:00 PM
I grew mine out just so I could put it up. Short hair's great, but not to PT with, and especially not every day.

Yeah, especially when it's dirty and greasy, stickin up everywhere, doesn't want to cooperate...oi. It's gonna be fun. haha