PDA

View Full Version : Stupid pull ups...

BurkeWorld
09-19-10, 01:43 AM
I've been working my arse off the past month, lost 22 pounds and really increased my cardio and strength. My crunches are a little shy, but my run is getting better.

However, no matter which plan I read about online or whatever I do, I can't for the life of me do 2 or more freakin' pull ups. I could do push ups all day and night, but just can't get my chin over that bar. This is the one thing holding me back, and it's starting to make me nervous.

I've tried/read Recon and Armstrongs stuff, but it doesn't help when I can't even get 3 up. I need help.

~Burke

sportsstr1226
09-19-10, 04:27 AM
I had the same problem as you. When I first DEP'd in, I could barely get 3 pull ups. I tried everything I could, but nothing was helping. Then I found this, it's sort of a modified version of the recon ron program. It helped me double my pull ups in about a month.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=2633

the802
09-19-10, 07:22 AM
I read somewhere months ago, That once you can do 1 pull up, every 5lbs you lose equates to another pull up... Not sure on the validity of that, but keep up the work anyway. My initial IST went like this
Pull-ups=2
Sit ups=57
1.5 Mile=13+

Recent IST
Pull ups=8 palms in/5 palms out
Sit ups=130+
1.5 Mile=9:30

Work equals gain buddy.... I enlisted March 2nd and have lost 50lbs since, just a month and a half away from shipping out.

the802
09-19-10, 07:25 AM
OH, and I should mention that I couldnt do the 2 pull ups when I wanted to enlist in January... I had to spend some time to get my chin over that bar twice before I was even allowed to go to MEPS.

wilsontc11
09-19-10, 10:13 AM
OH, and I should mention that I couldnt do the 2 pull ups when I wanted to enlist in January... I had to spend some time to get my chin over that bar twice before I was even allowed to go to MEPS.Me either... it was so embarrassing lol.

and the way to get more pull ups is just do more. dont get discouraged if you cant do way more in like 2 weeks of working your ass off. just keep doing them every day, and you'll gradually be able to get one more every so often, and then you just repeat that

pattchan
09-19-10, 12:41 PM
buy pullup bar that u can just pop in ur doorway. put in bedroom. max pullups everytime u go in or out ur room.

RBrouse
09-20-10, 12:54 AM
i am having the same problem, but i got a pull up bar a few days ago. Except it was one you have to screw in. i put it up in my door way and my dad freaked out so i have to move it.:mad: The only thing i can think of is to just do more, and thats what i plan to do.

Mike1992
09-20-10, 12:00 PM
In boot camp I had some fellow recruits who could only do 3 pullups. I helped each of them improve to 10+ . They did so by doing pushups after lights and by the normal pullup routines and workouts the platoon did. A lot of people improved on pullups because we would do weighted pullups. Basically we did pullups with our jungle boots on and had two full canteens in our cargo pockets. We also did a max set of pullups before and after chow and the ones who were doing 3 pullups did a lot of assisted pullups. I wouldn't let them get off the bar until they did 20 pullups. Therefore, by doing a lot of assisted pullups first and then later on weighted pullups, it will improve your pullup count greatly.

My prac hat also made sure we worked on muscle confusion, so that our muscles wouldn't plateu and get used to the same pullup routine. We made sure to switch up our routines (some days not doing any pullups at all) and making sure we had that rest period before the PFT so our muscles would have time to repair themselves. You also have to make sure you eat healthy and drink a lot of water.

Zumbii
09-20-10, 01:39 PM
get an iron gym pull-up bar and put it in your door way. Every time you enter or leave your room do a max set.

Steve018
09-20-10, 01:44 PM
get an iron gym pull-up bar and put it in your door way. Every time you enter or leave your room do a max set.

Exactly what I did. When i first met with my recruiter i couldnt do one, after i bought that (and a weekly back routine at the gym) i got my pull ups up quick. Don't be discouraged, it takes some time, Rome wasnt built in a day. Also try to focus on wide grip pull ups, they work your lats

Zumbii
09-20-10, 05:57 PM
Exactly what I did. When i first met with my recruiter i couldnt do one, after i bought that (and a weekly back routine at the gym) i got my pull ups up quick. Don't be discouraged, it takes some time, Rome wasnt built in a day. Also try to focus on wide grip pull ups, they work your lats

They also use more muscles so when you are better at pull-ups they are a little easier to do.