PDA

View Full Version : Some help with a M249

sharkeyes
09-17-10, 07:47 PM
Hey Marines hows it going?

Anyways here, i carry a SAW right now and i'm having troubles finding a good way to sling the weapon. I have the sling they issue (http://www.rstacticalgear.com/pd-bds-tactical-m249-saw-sling.cfm). But the rear attachment point on my butt stock is broken off and the armorer doesn't know when it will get fixed so i'm stuck mounting it right above the base of the butt stock (directly behind the rear sight).

Do any of you have any tips on what to do to make it a little easier to sight in than unslinging the weapon every damn time i go prone?

~Thank you
~~Semper Fi

Zulu 36
09-17-10, 08:13 PM
Have you spoken to your team leader and squad leader about this problem? If they can't get it fixed go see your platoon sergeant.

Backhaus 1103
09-17-10, 08:18 PM
Personally, I don't use slings...all they do is get in the way. Just rest it on your drum. You get a **** ton more freedom of movement with no sling.

Now only if they would let us keep our plate carriers and not the stupid azz MTV...what a piece of sh!t.

Big Jim
09-17-10, 10:02 PM
If your weapon is broken and hindering your operations....it should be deadlined...depending on your unit's combat priority. If you sight that M249 SAW in when in the prone position, you'll NEED that buttstock point. Have your Armorer maybe ORF out another weapon or simply deadline it until it does get repaired...because you know you aren't going to combat with a defective weapon. This IS your Armorer's responsibility.....I would also advise against learning or trying out "new" sighting in techniques as this needed repair of your weapon isn't a permanent condition and you may pick up a few bad habits by doing that practice. Stick with your Armorer and they will get your weapon repaired....be patient.

sharkeyes
09-17-10, 10:23 PM
Personally, I don't use slings...all they do is get in the way. Just rest it on your drum. You get a **** ton more freedom of movement with no sling.

Now only if they would let us keep our plate carriers and not the stupid azz MTV...what a piece of sh!t.

Good to go. right now we've been doing a ton of IED training and **** like that so its mostly patroling with no ammo. Hence no place to rest it. But i'll try that next time they feel like giving me some rounds.

sharkeyes
09-17-10, 10:24 PM
If your weapon is broken and hindering your operations....it should be deadlined...depending on your unit's combat priority. If you sight that M249 SAW in when in the prone position, you'll NEED that buttstock point. Have your Armorer maybe ORF out another weapon or simply deadline it until it does get repaired...because you know you aren't going to combat with a defective weapon. This IS your Armorer's responsibility.....I would also advise against learning or trying out "new" sighting in techniques as this needed repair of your weapon isn't a permanent condition and you may pick up a few bad habits by doing that practice. Stick with your Armorer and they will get your weapon repaired....be patient.

Roger that SGT. I will bring it up with the armorer that i need it fixed.

Backhaus 1103
09-17-10, 10:45 PM
Good to go. right now we've been doing a ton of IED training and **** like that so its mostly patroling with no ammo. Hence no place to rest it. But i'll try that next time they feel like giving me some rounds.

It doesn't really work in training, but that's what I did when I had the saw for about a month on deployment. It's like a bolt action machine gun lol.

NeverQuit
09-17-10, 11:00 PM
When i carried the SAW I carried it without a sling, and my armorers claimed it could not be fixed due to lack of parts, etc. So I purchased a different sling. Don't be afraid to buy small things for your weapon because until the day it is de issued that is yours, make it how you want it.

LandsNGrooves
09-18-10, 04:38 PM
http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vickers-products/m249-saw-sling/

Check this sling out. Its a Larry Vickers design. He was Delta's main weapons SGT for a while. He knows alittle about gunfighting and makes great gear.

il duce
09-20-10, 10:26 AM
Vickers is a good one or try to get the issued one for a M16/M4 with the strap that goes around the end of the buttstock

our armory has a box full of the collapsable M4-style buttstocks just for a SAW - you just have to go ask for one. There's several spots to strap a sling to on those

LandsNGrooves
09-20-10, 06:51 PM
our armory has a box full of the collapsable M4-style buttstocks just for a SAW - you just have to go ask for one. There's several spots to strap a sling to on those

DO THIS