PDA

View Full Version : The General Orders

Poolee Macon
09-26-03, 07:23 AM
Hello I'm new to the Dep and to this board and I was wondering if there were any way to learn the general orders quickly besides of course the obvious which is study them. How did you learn them in recruit training. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sparrowhawk
09-26-03, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Poolee Macon
Hello I'm new to the Dep and to this board and I was wondering if there were any way to learn the general orders quickly besides of course the obvious which is study them. How did you learn them in recruit training. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It's individuals that seek the easy way out of an assignment that get Marines killed in war.

You need to not only learn them the hard way, but also embrace them as a badge of honor knowing not only the words but also what they mean.

They must be part of your life, from sunrise to sunset, you must recite them before you hit the sack, in your dreams, when you awake and they must be the song in your heart.

To know them in this manner you might one day be able to stand in the shadow of those that learned them, recited them over the years that earned the title.

You have the wrong attitude to be a Marine, this isn't the Army, Navy or Air Force, they have the laptops, thick mattresses, and easy forms of transportation.

Marines have their weapon, the ground and their boots. That's what its all about, no easy road to glory.

Cook

Sparrowhawk
09-27-03, 01:53 PM
Here maybe this will help, you understand...

http://cookbarela.bizland.com/Heart.gif

Lake0300
09-27-03, 02:14 PM
LoL. Welcome to the Leatherneck forums! You've just had your first chewing :) - I totally agree with Sparrow Hawk - dont get upset like most Poolees do. Think about what hes saying, something you'll learn is that Marines are a different breed of people. They're all alpha animals.

Now onto your question. Assuming you've already DEP'ed in and received your "Welcome Aboard" package - you should already have a book that tells you your General Orders ("The Making of a Marine"). I tore out my 11 general orders and stuck'em in my wallet. During school when your teacher is babbling about crap you already know, pull'em out and start memorizing. When you say the General Order in your head, say it as if you were asked by a Drill Instructor. Example:

"Sir, this recruits fourth general order is to repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guardhouse than my own, SIR!"

You'll find this makes it easier when someone randomly asks you what your general orders are. You dont have to stop and think through the first 3 in order to remember the 4th. Get it?

NOTE: after about a week I had only memorized my first 3 general orders. So I challenged myself to learn the rest within a week. Its not impossible to learn them fast if you work hard

GOODLUCK POOLEE!

CPLRapoza
09-27-03, 02:39 PM
I memorized all 11 within six hours, and spent another six analyzing them, t's not impossible, if you want it bad enough. Nothing is. As tempting as it may be, never walk on a beaten path, cause theirs an ambush waiting on the other side, I learnt that the hard way.

CrazyBrave83
09-29-03, 07:21 AM
I've got the General Orders down-pat. They're really not that hard to learn you just have to study them. It took me about a day to learn them all. Just keep saying them in your head and you'll be fine. Just keep your head screwed on tight and watch what you say on the boards, Poolee. Believe me, I've been chewed out on here before. It ain't a pretty sight. Just learn from the mistakes and you're halfway there.

Dan_Mills
09-29-03, 07:31 AM
Let me drop in here for just a minute, I have been away from my status as an active duty Marine for almost 35 years now and even today I have no trouble remembering or reciting any of my General Orders. That reminds me, Lake I'm still waiting on that "Chain of Command".

Sgt Dan

CXDanny
10-24-03, 12:00 PM
Poolees learning the General Orders is one of the many things going into boot camp that can save you a lot of trouble later on. In boot camp you have to learn them the same way... simple memorization. Or maybe you will get lucky and have to write them 10 times after lights (while your "supposed" to be asleep). Either way take the time once a day and repeat them to yourself (depending on how much time you have before leaving) and you will slowly learn them. Just like your favorite song that comes on the radio... you don't know it the first or second time... but with everytime you say it to yourself you slowly learn it.

Poolee Lake0300: Good idea about learning the General Orders as if you were saying them to a DI but note... the days of saying Sir at the beginning of everything you say are gone (well at least over at San Diego). Now you just say Sir at the end of every statement... not the beginning.

Lake0300
10-24-03, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Dan_Mills
Let me drop in here for just a minute, I have been away from my status as an active duty Marine for almost 35 years now and even today I have no trouble remembering or reciting any of my General Orders. That reminds me, Lake I'm still waiting on that "Chain of Command".

Sgt Dan

Sgt. Dan you have no trouble reciting your General Orders because they're posted on the wall in front of you. Muahahahaaaa.... Chain of Command? I'll have it to you by 1400.

-Lake :banana:

And arent there one or two unofficial General Orders?

"I will walk my post from flank to flank, and take no s*** from any rank."

RoboRobinson17
10-24-03, 03:54 PM
Poolee Lake and PFC CX Danny,

I graduated on Aug 15 03 from Parris Island, and when it came to sounding off General Orders or the Rank Structure, we said "Sir" at the beginning and end of the process. I learned mine on Fire watch in one night, and it greatly helped. If you know stuff such as the General Orders and Rank Structure, Rifleman's Creed etc, you will be able to spend more time focusing on other areas you need work on. And, as a helpful hint, NOTHING is ever good enough for a DI, and it shouldn't be good enough for you if you pass the test. While we are on the subject, who started the poolees calling a Drill Instructor a "DI"? This is reserved for the Men and Women who have earned The Title. ALWAYS say "Drill Instructor", NEVER say Semper Fi, or use the smiley icon with the barracks frame cover (the one with the white cover). This is out of respect for the Marines we have on this board. You are all wannabes until/if you make it, and only then, when you have put your heart and soul into becoming a Marine, will you truly understand. Good initiative, bad judgement. Stay Motivated.

SF,

Joe

WMjets
11-02-03, 12:12 PM
I haven't gone to boot camp, but I went through a week of training in order to become a midshipman in the NROTC program at the University of Michigan. Although I'm positive that my puny little week was about 100 times easier than boot camp, we still had to memorize the knowledge for an inspection at the end. I found that for short term, I had them memorized in just a couple hours and I had never laid eyes on them before. I'd suggest having them memorized for short term, and you can turn that into long term by going over them in your head whenever you get a moment. This makes it easier to study them any time because you don't need the paper in front of you. I know it seems like a lot to do, but trust me it's NOT. During that week, I had to train with a bunch of squids, and they did it, so I know you can. You just have to sit down and do it.

Lake is right. All the poolees (and myself) are green and it's better to get with the program now. Believe me, Sparrowhawk is doing you a favor! ... LESSON #1: Never ask for the easy way out.

Jo

Sixguns
11-02-03, 04:27 PM
There are no shortcuts to becoming a Marine. Learning your general orders are just part of the requirement. You need to use initiative and be responsible to complete your assignments. Try reciting a general order each day. Quiz yourself several times during the day to commit the item to memory. Move on to another general order the next day, but at day's end, practice starting at one and going through the orders you have committed to memory.

kmjb
11-14-03, 06:04 PM
i still havnt gotten my welcome aboard package.....Does anyone know where i could find them posted?

thank you
Kevin

WMjets
11-14-03, 06:33 PM
My NROTC Unit posts a knowledge packet with General Orders, rank structure, and other good things to know in it at http://www.umich.edu/~navyrotc/knowledge.shtml

Jo

Sixguns
11-14-03, 06:47 PM
KMJB

The Welcome Aboard Package should be delivered to you and gone over with you by your recruiter when you return from DEPPING in at MEPS. If you have already joined, get onyour recruiter's case about getting one to you.

SIXGUNS

kmjb
11-15-03, 06:58 AM
thanks WMjets and ill do that sixguns...

ashley clark
11-15-03, 01:16 PM
I'm a young marine,but we have the same general orders (almost)I've realized tha if you memerize the first two words of each order,then try to remember a few new words each day all else will follow.Doing this i remembered mine within two weeks and were always being aked them.Good Luck.
Ashley