PDA

View Full Version : Another MSG duty question

josephd
09-15-10, 01:09 AM
I have been doing my research for the last couple of days including searching on here about eligibility requirements for MSG duty.

Nowhere in these requirements have I seen that you cannot be a reservist for MSG. And I don't want to hear "no, reservists can't hold B-Billets" because that is not true. I have a Cpl. at my unit putting in a package with our CRS to be a DI.

I am looking for a definite word on this or an order stating I would or wouldn't be eligible. I am going to be speaking with my CRS as soon as I can also.

brian0351
09-15-10, 03:33 AM
I can't be for sure, but I doubt it. I have never come across a reservist MSG.

CalmaSAdkisson
09-15-10, 03:46 AM
You have to have a contract valid for 2 years at a stretch because you will be working for the STate Department not the Marine Corps. Not same rules apply. Go, impress the hell outta them you will be fine. Remember you will be playing by State Department rules not necessarily Marine Corps. Be cool

spotts
09-15-10, 06:00 AM
I didnt know that Corporals could be DI's.

gwamo1
09-15-10, 07:36 AM
If you get promoted before the school ends then it's possible.

spotts
09-15-10, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info, I wasnt aware of that.

PGN63
09-15-10, 10:26 AM
Nowhere in these requirements have I seen that you cannot be a reservist for MSG. And I don't want to hear "no, reservists can't hold B-Billets" because that is not true. I have a Cpl. at my unit putting in a package with our CRS to be a DI.

Here's the order:

http://www.usmc.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCO%20P1326.6D%20W%20CH%201.pdf

It doesn't say that Reservist can't be MSG but you have to have 30 months of active duty on your contract or extend in order to complete the assignment.

josephd
09-15-10, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the order PGN63, I have read through all of it and similar MCO's and MARADMIN's, other than the time at a duty station it doesn't explicitly state "no reservists" or "active duty only". I guess all I can do is try and talk with my CRS and see if I can do this

I didnt know that Corporals could be DI's.

He should be picking up Sgt. next quarter

MasterGunsmith
09-15-10, 03:10 PM
I don't understand why you want to go MSG. Isnt playing a Marine one weekend a month good enough for you. All you will be doing is bumping somone more deserving out of the picture. Like an Active Duty Marine who has done his time and needs a vacation. Reservist...... WOW!

Beltayn
09-15-10, 03:16 PM
MCESG is doing a recruitment push at the moment because they need bodies and are trying to expand.
Qualified applicants who meet the screening criteria and put in a package shouldn't be getting turned away.

PGN63
09-15-10, 05:19 PM
I don't understand why you want to go MSG. Isnt playing a Marine one weekend a month good enough for you. All you will be doing is bumping somone more deserving out of the picture. Like an Active Duty Marine who has done his time and needs a vacation. Reservist...... WOW!

He has to be on active duty in order to join.

Reservist don't "play Marine" one weekend a month, since 9/11 they have been constantly deployed, numerous times.

A Marine is a Marine, there aren't different levels. Leave is for vacation, MSG isn't a vacation.

Beltayn
09-15-10, 06:38 PM
I had the opportunity to have a conversation with the SGTMAJ of MCESG yesturday, who has been both an MSG and a DI, and one of the interesting pieces of information he had to share was that in his opinion an MSG works harder than any of the other B-billets.
Its an important job. It isn't a vacation.

josephd
09-15-10, 08:06 PM

why wouldn't I want MSG?....And no playing Marine one weekend a month is nowhere near enough (although I spend more time than my one drill weekend taking care of things for my Platoon/squad/fireteam) for me.

Someone more deserving?....I don't think you understand what some of reservists actually do and how hard we work to be good Marines

Should an AD Marine get it over me?....I would say so yeah, but does that mean I shouldn't try to do whatever I can to experience things and different duties within the Corps?

usmc3521
09-15-10, 08:53 PM
A Marine is a Marine Period. Same boot camp just different skill sets. I cant count how many times my cuz (SSGT USMC 2 combat tours 0331/0369, weapons intructor at TBS and now graduating DI School Next Weds) has told me that the a lot of his Marines(grunts) are 100% worthless. It goes to show you that the MOS does not make the Marine. The Marine makes the Marine by his dedication and willingness to get into the fight and lead others by example in all aspects.