PDA

View Full Version : With all due respect

ShannonL
09-15-10, 12:46 AM
Ladies and Gentleman of the Marine Corp. (The best in US armed forces!)

First of all, I take my hat off to ALL Marines, to sign up and get off your transport into a country that your only friends are guys with guns and your enemy is everywhere. I have read you oaths and codes and agree 100%ou have all chosen the path of honor and it is this reason that I am here. My name is Shannon Larratt, I am writing a fictional novel of the Marine Corp set in the future, but to explain the training and fire fighting scenes I need you. The LAST thing I want to do is DISREPECT any and all Marines.

Second of all. God bless all of you and your brothers and sisters currently fighting against those dishonorable scum that plague the free world. It is said in the Bible that we as man are his tools, AND THOSE THAT ARE STRIKING DOWN THE WICKED ARE HIS HAMMERS!

Would any of you help me? I want to portray the reality of war not the hollywood version.

Kind Regards and Unlimited Repect
Shannon Larratt
Author

MGySgtSki
09-15-10, 01:01 AM
No offense, but I hope you have a good editor because, for a writer, your spelling, grammar and sentence structure are atrocious.

ShannonL
09-15-10, 01:05 AM
None taken.

After I type a chapter, I fix it up. I write as the ideas come.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-15-10, 01:18 AM
Well.....lets see...first, it's "Marine Corps" not 'Corp'.

But otherwise, good luck with your book! Sounds interesting.

HOWEVER, without a properly completed profile, this one is locked down. And will remain so until that task is complete.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-15-10, 01:38 AM
Unlocked. Profile complete.

hillbillyjar
09-15-10, 06:33 AM
Write, read, edit, read, edit, publish is pretty much normal practice. Publish first draft is uncommon; the Internet is the exception, and then, most writers still follow procedure. Then there are those of us that hit the bottle heavy.

If I may offer a small tip for the future, there are two good ways to do research. The method you choose will depend on how deep into your subject you want to get.

Method one: Read everything you can lay hands to on the topic, form opinions, develope questions, then go after your subject personnel with "This is what I know, what can you add?" questions.

Method two: Go to people that know your topic and say something along the line of "Hi. I'm a writer, and am doing research on (topic). I'd like to start with first person information, rather than what I can get from books or the Internet. Would you be willing to help?"

And when you address members of the Corps, don't differentiate Ladies and Gentlemen, Officers and Enlisted, or anything like that. Just say "Hello Marines.". You'll be talking to all of us.

Dang it!! I almost made it three whole days without getting out the high horse.

usmc3521
09-15-10, 02:18 PM
Spam

ShannonL
09-15-10, 02:28 PM
Write, read, edit, read, edit, publish is pretty much normal practice. Publish first draft is uncommon; the Internet is the exception, and then, most writers still follow procedure. Then there are those of us that hit the bottle heavy.

If I may offer a small tip for the future, there are two good ways to do research. The method you choose will depend on how deep into your subject you want to get.

Method one: Read everything you can lay hands to on the topic, form opinions, develope questions, then go after your subject personnel with "This is what I know, what can you add?" questions.

Method two: Go to people that know your topic and say something along the line of "Hi. I'm a writer, and am doing research on (topic). I'd like to start with first person information, rather than what I can get from books or the Internet. Would you be willing to help?"

And when you address members of the Corps, don't differentiate Ladies and Gentlemen, Officers and Enlisted, or anything like that. Just say "Hello Marines.". You'll be talking to all of us.

Dang it!! I almost made it three whole days without getting out the high horse.

LOL. True. Alright then Marines it is. Thanks for the advice. I hope you guys will assist me, I'll post an excerpt of a chapter and see what you guys think...I want to capture the essence of a Marine.

FistFu68
09-15-10, 06:06 PM
:evilgrin: Me Personally I think You should read the Personal Awards and Decorations of "Each Individual" and then go from it there on.Cause I'm telling You what there are more Sea Stories that Your little Sweet Mind could ever IMAGINE.That's just My 2 Cents worth :beer: :iwo:

Wyoming
09-15-10, 07:23 PM
Yo Fist, maybe she should interview Duff.

FistFu68
09-15-10, 08:59 PM
:evilgrin: Good Idea Big Al,then She could get the Skinny from Fatty's Cosmic Perscerptic,KFH'S Mud Mans View,and least but not!!!BaBy Einsteins Barrs Heroics...After all what would Ole Senile Fucs add too the Subject but THE TRUTH...Semper Fi That :beer: :iwo:

sparkie
09-15-10, 09:05 PM
One clue to your book. We cover our azzes. That should be about 90%. Brothers all.

And when Fist speaks, you listen. He speaks for me.

ShannonL
09-15-10, 11:54 PM
Thank you all Marines. Reading stories is good and all and in thier thousands dating from 1941 through to now, but You ask a page a question...I am a man of realism. I want to put the reader into the boots of a Marine, fireing his rifle at the enemies. I want to know the hardship, the tragedy and the glory. Its bad to say...but I wanna know what its like seeing a brother or sister get sent to Jesus (not to be disrepectful). My book starts off with a Marine Officer telling the story of an intense firefight, I can explane the images in his mind but not whats in his heart.

advanced
09-16-10, 06:44 AM
Thank you all Marines. Reading stories is good and all and in thier thousands dating from 1941 through to now, but You ask a page a question...I am a man of realism. I want to put the reader into the boots of a Marine, fireing his rifle at the enemies. I want to know the hardship, the tragedy and the glory. Its bad to say...but I wanna know what its like seeing a brother or sister get sent to Jesus (not to be disrepectful). My book starts off with a Marine Officer telling the story of an intense firefight, I can explane the images in his mind but not whats in his heart.

If you want to know about intense firefights you should change your subject from the eyes of a Marine Officer to that of a Corporal of Marines or a Lance/Corporal. They are the ones that experience the firefights.

Lynn2
09-16-10, 07:43 AM
Asking what a firefight is like is like asking what sex is like. Well it sort of depends.

You know a 14 year old with a wandering finger vs a 30 year old in the middle of a wild group. Its all different. Yet in a way it's all somewhat similar.

Sometimes a fire fight comes out of the blue. And you go from walking and enjoying the surroundings to pure on terror in less than an instant. And then sometimes its over as fast as it starts. And sometimes it goes on for days.

Sometimes you chase your opposite number and sometimes they end of chasing you.

There is terror and adrenaline rushes as intense as any drug anyone has ever taken.

And after its over if you are alive and in one piece you have this great rush of just being alive. A wonderful feeling.

And if you have not lost any Marines you have this great sense of having done something truly fun and exciting.

And if a Marine has been lost your first thought is----"SOB it was not me" A somewhat nice feeling. Of course followed by big time guilt and hurt for those that were lost.

It can be the worst time of your life. It can also be the best.

But many of those involved are hardly thinking about Jesus. Many in fact do not believe he is much. Its not a bunch of christian crusaders.

Many are in fact quite anti-religion and jesus and god in any traditional sense.(considering the number of non-believers, Jews, Muslims, etc that are fighting making them all jesus lovers in a book is making a lie)

No non-believers in a fighting hole is a poorly thought out myth and not close to being true.

And then your tour is over and you come home. And then you spend the next 45 years wondering why almost 60,000 US lives were wasted for a war that never needed to be fought. Along with millions of civilian deaths. Many kids and small children. Lovely children. Now burnt to a focking crisp. And for what?

And you begin in a way to hate those that sent those young American kids to die while for the most part their kids stayed home and lived a well kept and safe life while you and your mates humped the hills from he/ll.

And you begin to dislike those that joined but somehow managed to also never hump those hills or experience that incoming. Leaving their brothers to die while they never once think of demanding to go themselves.

Hate and dislike being an outcome of any war deployment IMO-----at least for those that had a real true hunting and being hunted war deployment.

And then you realize that war is a terrible thing. And those that go on about saving the world and glory are mostly REMF's that have never humped those hills or never know what being surrounded or overrun is like. Or have never seen those broken and wasted lives of those you truly love.

But you have pride in what you did. Realizing that most would opt not to share your experience.

But that pride does not wash out the realization that it was all a waste that should have never happened.

And what do I remember the most? Being bone dead tired, hungry beyond belief, and so thirsty you will in fact drink sh/it laced rice paddy water and then crap coal black stools for months after. With cramps so bad that it will drive you to your knees and make you cry.

Glory my azz.

Wyoming
09-16-10, 08:35 AM
No non-believers in a fighting hole is a poorly thought out myth and not close to being true.

Bull****!

advanced
09-16-10, 08:39 AM
Just because we liked the song "I know there ain't no heaven, but I pray there ain't no hell" doesn't mean we don't believe in God.

Lynn2
09-16-10, 09:01 AM
Saying that "all" those catching crap while in a fighting hole are not believers is not the same as saying their are no believers in those holes.

There are plenty of both.

And that is the point. Some are and some are not. And anyone that says its all one way is an idiot.

I knew plenty of guys (me being one) that sent their dog tags back to have the religion taken off. I had to do mine twice.

Never saw anyone go to church. Some must have but I never saw it. Never saw anyone pray. Some must have but I never saw or heard of it.

Many would talk at night about how god was a myth developed by people who needed simple answers. Others I assume believed deeply.

"No" non-believers in a fighting hole while under intense fire is in fact not a true statement. BTDT.

Lynn2
09-16-10, 09:37 AM
And what else do I remember?

The patrol winding down and us tired really really tired from almost no real sleep within the past 5 days. A vision of-----food.

Food as in warm chow cooked by someone else. What a great vision. And the thought of a dry cot. Enough to make you experience a spontanous sex act just thinking about it. A wonderful vision to think about.

And then the choppers would swoop down to get you. And the moment you were on those choppers you started to relax. Surviving another mission being its own sweet reward.

And then we would land. Bone tired but as soon as we saw those non-patrolling Hug and Suck guys we got a spring in our step. Not a big one but enough to give you some real pride.

The gulf between those that made their living outside the wire and those that did not was as wide as the Grand Canyon. Even within the same BN.

Then a day or two at most of easy remf living. A sweet and safe and clean time. Except for sleeping. Waking up in terror and night sweats. Always unnerving and scary.

But then the word would come down that we were to meet in the briefing tent tomorrow at 11 am for a 4 pm insert. And then the dread would start all over again. That pit in your tummy could almost eat you alive.

I dreaded it. The packing. The getting ready. The true fear of what we might run into.

Then moments after we were on the choppers I experienced a calm. I was back in my element. Being back on the clock was a lot better than thinking about being back on the clock.

A terrible time I would not have missed a moment of. But then I came back alive and whole. As opposed to so many that did not.

Mongoose
09-16-10, 10:03 AM
Lynn, I have a lot of respect for what you went through, and what you did. With all due respect. You and I must have been in different V.N. Until now I never knew of or saw any Marine in our BN. send his dog tag back while in V.N. To have his releigion changed. I dont know how you could never have seen anyone attend services. Hell we prayed together. Never did I ever hear any Marines sitting around talking about God being a myth. At that point in time most Marines really thought God and Country. There damn sure wasnt plenty of non beleivers. If there was they didnt sit around and talk about it. Any way I saw one of my brother Marines catch a sniper round in the neck. Went through his neck and hit the Marine behind him in the stomach. After we got them out of the line of fire. He died in my arms. Doc couldnt do anything to help him. Severed his artery. I helped to get his things together. Found his wife and little girls picture. As tough as I thought Iwas. I couldnt hold back the tears. It made me hate those azzholes. Mabey hate helped get me through it. But I never lost my faith. After I left V.N. I wondered if it was all worth it? But Ill go to my grave with the deepest respect and honer for all that served and those that died in hell hole Viet Nam. S/F

Lynn2
09-16-10, 10:27 AM
Billy, I have no doubt you saw exactly what you saw. But in truth you and I would not have been hanging out in the same hardback tent at night when back in the rear.

The tents were in fact different. Not for sleeping but for hanging and relaxing. And right there I see the big difference between what I saw and what you saw.

My tent was not playing country or soul. We were the early Bob Dylan guys. And there were a passel of us in Recon. Wannabe killers and wannabe anti-war hippies and wannabe intellectuals for sure. Black and white and brown---Marine and Doc--- all to the left of center. Some of our number having gone south to protest before enlisting. One had been a member of SNCC. All were considered ni**** lovers by at least some in the BN.

We sat around at night discussing what we thought of as great novels and serious thought. The air had a sweet smell about it.

The serious discussion broken at times by shouts from some cracker outside to turn off the G**D*** Dylan crap.

None of the guys I hung with prayed as far as I know. And we sure as crap never prayed together. We did pass the roach though. Being good brothers and all.

Even in the same BN. Even within the same Team people can have a different view of what we all were going through together.

I still have those tog tags or at least my son does now. I can assure you what is not on mine. What in fact was removed at my request from my old ones. And I was not the only one.

Backhaus 1103
09-16-10, 10:34 AM
I don't believe or did I ever think about "OMG help me God" when I was getting shot at or IDF. I didn't have time for that sh!t, It was about doing my job so that not only I could live, but my friends too.
Some days I think about it and hope that it's real because I lost friends and I hope that it's not the end for them. But truthfully I can't believe.

Lynn2
09-16-10, 10:50 AM
"I still have those tog tags or at least my son does now. I can assure you what is not on mine. What in fact was removed at my request from my old ones. And I was not the only one." Nor the first one.

And Billy I was under no illusion I was coming home alive. I had come to grips that Vietnam for me was a one way trip. I just knew that a person had just so many close calls in them.

My views were not that I would not need god. It was that there was none for me to need even if I was so inclined to wish it otherwise.

Nobody was more shocked and surprised to see me on that Braniff plane than I was. But all the credit for that shocking discovery went to mother chance, some good luck, and some extremely good Team mates----along with more than a few misfires and duds---and one or more change of patrol route

God played no role whatsoever.

And as I am older now and realize once again that the end is closer rather than farther away my views have only gotten stronger.

Wyoming
09-16-10, 02:03 PM
And then the choppers would swoop down to get you. And the moment you were on those choppers you started to relax. Surviving another mission being its own sweet reward. Don't forget to add, at 5000'.

Also, I had 3 flak jackets, one I sat on, one I stood on, and one I wore.

ShannonL
09-16-10, 02:03 PM
Marines.

Reading your posts about your war lives has opened my eyes, the reason why I'm here.

I once spoke to a member of M.O.T.H. (Memorable Order Of the Tin Hats) He served in WII, he was in a tank division headed for Berlin in what he called a biscuite tin with a cannon and the Brit tanks were pitiful. A Tiger appeared on the hill and drove a shell right into the tank killing his mate instantly, taking 90% of his hearing in his right ear. He would speak anymore...Later I found out that he was present when they took down Auschwits...

Many books and especially movies blind people to what war is. Many recruites sign up to a live of glory but get Hell instead. Signing up on your own free will knowing both sides of the coin takes guts and great strength. I know many of you were forced with the draft and thats KAK (sh1t here in SA).

What is the chain of command in the Marine Corps?

Wyoming
09-16-10, 02:12 PM
Google is your friend.

Lynn2
09-16-10, 02:22 PM
Don't forget to add, at 5000'.

Also, I had 3 flak jackets, one I sat on, one I stood on, and one I wore.

A flak jacket? I did see Marines wearing those from time to time. So I do know what they are.

And that is my entire experience with a flak jacket. Other than the fact that one hung unworn somewhere near my bed (rack for you lifer types) back in the rear.

What next a helmet?

Wyoming
09-16-10, 02:37 PM
Jeez, I guess I have never met a reeeeeeal WAR HERO. Howdy.

That big assed 46 was a ****ing magnet for bullet holes. You could punch a hole in it with a lead pencil.

Lynn2
09-16-10, 02:48 PM
Jeez, I guess I have never met a reeeeeeal WAR HERO. Howdy.

That big assed 46 was a ****ing magnet for bullet holes. You could punch a hole in it with a lead pencil.

Hey quit being so sensitive.

You can mention using 3 of them but I can't mention we wore none? Sensitive sensitive.......overly so it appears.

There were plenty of times I would have loved a flak jacket. Maybe even 3 of them. And a helmet would have been great as well.

And yes I do understand being a bullet magnet. You don't have to spend all your time in a chopper to know what that is like. Flak jacket or no flak jacket.

Mongoose
09-16-10, 02:54 PM
ShannonL, let me clue you in on one thing. Lynn was a recon Corpsman. I was a grunt in a rifle company. Big AL was air wing. Air wing was the Corps life line. We depended on the air wing for almost everthing. Every time that chopper was in the air, thier life was on the line. They was a target for any gook big enough to hold a weapon. They saved many Marines lives with thier close air support and dust offs. They would have lined up for miles under intense fire, to get the last Marine out of harms way. Be he dead or alive. S/F

Lynn2
09-16-10, 03:02 PM
Billy, can't agree more.

And at the risk of having someone who cannot read all that well claim I am attacking the Wing-----we Reconners loved the Wing.

They saved my life and the life of my Team mates more than a time or three.

And as far as I am concerned they should have taken as many flak jackets as that chopper could hold.

If I couda I certainly wouda

Lynn2
09-16-10, 03:34 PM
I have only been to one full on BN reunion.

But there were 3 massive standing ovations at our dinner.

#1 The family members of our MOH awardees---all KIA

#2 The Corpsman

#3 A Marine made a long introduction for a guest. He talked of his Team being on the run, with wounded in tow, and then not being able to go any farther.

They were making a stand to die in place----of course as opposed to leaving the wounded---when on station came the choppers.

He told of that lead chopper hovering in place as the NVA shot the crap out of it. But hover they did. At least until the last reconner was aboard.

He said that when the chopper got back and landed it had so many holes in it they could not count them all.

When he introduced the pilot the place went wild.

But IMO that long loud ovation was for all those pilots and all those crews that kept us alive. Many of them dying in the attempt.

Wyoming
09-16-10, 04:08 PM
The only thing that coulda been better was iffen you damm grunts was to pull the cord and release the plexiglass.

But no, you had be John ****ing Wayne and knock them out with your rifle butts.

Unbeknownst to many, there was a coil of electrical lines running fore to aft under those portholes. They did not like to be rained on. So the windows had to be replaced regularly.

That coil of electrical lines would be like a whole bunch of extension cords to you midget-brained grunts.:D

Finally gave up and had the twidgets somehow wrap and water proof the wires.

****ed the grunts off, cause they didn't have nothing to break no more.

Grunts vs Wingers. ****, no versas to it. Marines, one and all.:flag:

Mongoose
09-16-10, 05:27 PM
Al, I guess you wingers being pizzed at us grunts was why you made us jump from a moving chopper 12 feet of the ground when we hit a hot LZ. Sometimes getting off the chopper was worse than the fire fight was. We still loved ya anyway. S/F

Wyoming
09-16-10, 05:52 PM
Al, I guess you wingers being pizzed at us grunts was why you made us jump from a moving chopper 12 feet of the ground when we hit a hot LZ. Sometimes getting off the chopper was worse than the fire fight was. We still loved ya anyway. S/F

**** Billy, we'd get our wheels dirty and then have to go and wash them off when we landed in Phu Bai or Marble. Remember, that was keeping us away from the E-Club that served cold beer and our air-conditioned hootches, (yeah right). I didn't realize we were getting so close. 12'. That's near from here to there.

You gotta remember, we usually landed when we picked you up.

Hoist extractions through the trees sucked big time.

Mongoose
09-16-10, 06:31 PM
Al, if you think hoist extractions sucked for you all. Ask Fist what its like being on the other end. Especially when your bleeding to death. But you saved his life brother. Fist was a hell of a combat Marine. Quit making Marines like fist a long time ago. S/F

Wyoming
09-16-10, 08:35 PM
Exactly, the ****ing gooks could shoot at the horse collar or the big green target. Hope it didn't upset to many folks, but once they cleared the trees, we pulled collective. Up, up, up, and away. Once onboard, we cleaned our skivvies and went back for me.

ShannonL
09-17-10, 12:52 AM
All of you could'nt survive without the other, Recon, Grunt and Airwing. I bet Big Al looked like an angel to many Marines. Doing Recon must be veruy challenging...always entering new territory and finding all sorts of kak hidden in the grass and some falling into those bamboo booby traps set by those $%^&*( Basterds. What the hell was it like. With out you guys many grunts would've died heading to all sorts of kak....I'll ask you grunts next.

Wyoming
09-17-10, 06:49 AM
Fugoff, and you can stop right there, on the Angel bit.

Big Al ain't no Angel.

All this kak about the Wingers being goody two shoes ain't so.

We just pulled the long straw and slept on a cot most nights.

You want some answers, you got 2 places to visit. Go to The Wall. There's over 58,000 story's to be heard. Then head to the Marine Corps Museum. There's so much history there it will boggle your mind.

FistFu68
09-17-10, 07:09 AM
:usmc: Saepius Exertus~Semper Fidelis~Frater Infinitas :usmc: :iwo:

USNAviator
09-17-10, 07:18 AM
"You want some answers, you got 2 places to visit. Go to The Wall. There's over 58,000 story's to be heard. Then head to the Marine Corps Museum. There's so much history there it will boggle your mind."

Amen Al, and Fair Winds to them All

kenrobg30
09-17-10, 10:26 AM
I rode in a chopper, just once, on my way to the CONSOLATION, the Hospital Ship, in Pusan harbor. that was the only Huey, I remember seeing. I have reason to be grateful for those little ones, that look like a dragonfly. I saw them pick up wounded men, in the middle of fire-fights, deliver rations and ammo, under heavy enemy fire, without a moments hesitation. Those were the real Cow Boys. John Wayne took his hat off to them.:marine: S/F!!! Ken

Lynn2
09-17-10, 10:45 AM
"Al, I guess you wingers being pizzed at us grunts was why you made us jump from a moving chopper 12 feet of the ground when we hit a hot LZ."

Ours was far from a hot LZ. But when we made the leap---somewhere outside of PhuBai---- one of my Marines broke his back on landing.

His first thought he told me later was that he had been shot.

I saw him on Oki maybe 5 months later as I was on my way home. He was still messing with a focked up back.

To much distance + large amount of weight + bad landing = trouble

Lynn2
09-17-10, 10:53 AM
Nothing but props for those crews.

But late one night we called for an extract----our ARVN scout had been bitten by a snake----and despite my best John Wayne cutting and sucking etc----I was not sure if he was going to make it or not----the ARVN was the only one to see the snake

The answer came back that NO----not for an ARVN (one of the crappiest things I ever saw the MC do)

So after some thinking we decided that one of our Marines with maybe a 99.8 fever :-) was to sick to go on.

So was called again for another extract. The chopper came and we loaded both the Marine and the ARVN on board.

We took care of our own despite that cork sucker dispatcher on the other end of that radio.

ShannonL
09-17-10, 12:50 PM
Did you kick that corksuckers ass Lynn?
@Big Al: I meant when the guys were hammned it and the future looked bleek, you would be my angel, at least that day. I will go to The Wall and the museum. Thank you all very much for opening up to a civ. As hillbillyjar suggested I should PM those that are willing to speak about thier lives as a Marines, both past and present.

Lynn2
09-17-10, 02:19 PM
"Did you kick that corksuckers ass Lynn?"

Hardly. Just a voice on the radio.

Now I am pretty sure the snake was just a harmless snake. But at the time who knew for sure?

But when I got back to camp I spent the next few weeks being treated like a mini-god.

Ever time I passed a group of ARVN's they would point and jabber and then bow as I walked by.

They were under the illusion that I actually knew what I was doing and their buddy was alive because of my skills.

Very good fighters and scouts they were.

But not all that smart when it came to evaluating medical talent.

ShannonL
09-17-10, 02:28 PM
"Did you kick that corksuckers ass Lynn?"

Hardly. Just a voice on the radio.

Now I am pretty sure the snake was just a harmless snake. But at the time who knew for sure?

But when I got back to camp I spent the next few weeks being treated like a mini-god.

Ever time I passed a group of ARVN's they would point and jabber and then bow as I walked by.

They were under the illusion that I actually knew what I was doing and their buddy was alive because of my skills.

Very good fighters and scouts they were.

But not all that smart when it came to evaluating medical talent.

Ever wonder where they are now?

*somewhere in the dense woods in Vietnam, surrounding the fire, Old Quang tells of the American superman that saved Uncle Anh Dung's life.*

Mongoose
09-17-10, 04:35 PM
Lynn, in my experience, most ARVN were not that good. Most of the time, if they were in support of a Marine unit, and a real heart rattleing fire fight broke out. You couldnt find those azzholes with a bloodhound and telescope

ShannonL
09-19-10, 11:59 AM
Lynn, in my experience, most ARVN were not that good. Most of the time, if they were in support of a Marine unit, and a real heart rattleing fire fight broke out. You couldnt find those azzholes with a bloodhound and telescope

LOL...they must've had thier uses...:beer:

Wyoming
09-19-10, 02:17 PM
Billy is correct. The ARVN was not that spiffy, with all respect to Col Ripley.

The Montagnards, on the other hand, were some bad little ****ers, and they didn't like ANY Vietnamese.

http://www.sfahq.com/miller/images/9_jungle_team.JPG

Lynn2
09-19-10, 04:06 PM

You know I do realize that, Billy.

I have no idea if ours were handpicked or not. They could have been. Vol's at least I am pretty sure.

Now not that all were water walkers. But usually that one scout we had on a patrol----assuming we had at least one----was normally pretty darn good.

Of course he was surrounded by pretty darn good people also. That always helps steady someone.

I remember an ARVN from another Team and the guys talked about how they needed to keep a leash on him. Not that he would run away when the crap hit.

But that he was overly aggressive. A real straight up killer he was.

Never once did we ever have an ARVN go south on us----not on a patrol I was on for sure.

The saddest story about an ARVN: We had a new marine with us. Came from the grunts on one of our pleads for more people.

We assumed he had raised his hand to be there like the rest of us. Apparently his command raised his hand for him.

We told him exactly what to pack and how much. He decided to "go light".

One morning as we woke and started to break out our breakfast and our ARVN got all excited and upset. He kept trying to tell us something. Soon one of the Marines got his drift----his food was gone.

That bostard new marine stole it and ate it.

Little Ski a tough 2nd degree came as close as you can to giving a beatdown to a fellow marine deep in Charlie country as you can.

We shared our food with the scout. That new marine could have starved for all we cared.

After a few wallets went missing back in the rear we also got rid of that pos.

ShannonL
09-20-10, 12:01 AM
I wouldnt call him a Marine. You you cant trust the man/woman beside you then whats the point, you steal from family...thats my 2 cents.

ShannonL
09-23-10, 12:42 AM
Would a Master Gunnery Sergeant be present engaging enemies on a battle field if he/she so wished, Leading from the front, not from the back?

Sgt Leprechaun
09-23-10, 12:58 AM
Unlikely at best. While 'possible' I'd deem it 'unlikely.

ShannonL
09-23-10, 01:02 AM
What is the highest likely rank that you would see on the battle field...

Sgt Leprechaun
09-23-10, 01:10 AM
Depends on the battle. Documented cases of 1stSgt's engaged in combat in Fallujah....

Are you going for the 'exception to the rule' or 'the norm'? What's the situation? House to house knifefight or standoff? Siege or quick operation? Long period of peacetime prior to the engagement, or a 'long war'?

ShannonL
09-23-10, 01:18 AM
The scene is a base of operations on a distant moon. Marines sent to build a base to await construction crews to arrive to build starport. Whats the highest rank that would be sent or could offer to climb aboard the transport? My character is a strong willed man who believes every Marine around him are closer to him than his family, because of all the kak they have been through...He isnt afraid of combat and always looks out for his men...Lives by the code 100%

Sgt Leprechaun
09-23-10, 02:15 AM
That could either be an officer or a Staff NCO. Depends on how old you want the Marine to be, length of service, etc.

If I were doing it, it would probably be a Gunnery Sergeant. Not unusual for the modern Marine Corps to assign a Senior SNCO to do such things, in the absence of an officer.

ShannonL
09-23-10, 01:08 PM
That could either be an officer or a Staff NCO. Depends on how old you want the Marine to be, length of service, etc.

If I were doing it, it would probably be a Gunnery Sergeant. Not unusual for the modern Marine Corps to assign a Senior SNCO to do such things, in the absence of an officer.

Then Gunnery Sergeant it is then. Thank you. What is the average amount of years of service before you make to E7?

Quinbo
09-23-10, 01:57 PM
Have you seen the movie Avatar?

ShannonL
09-23-10, 02:12 PM
Yes I have. Great movie but I dont feel that it puts you into the boots of a Marine...I've heard stories that never make it so the big screen, therefore many have misconeptions of war etc.

Quinbo
09-23-10, 02:34 PM
I take it you are trying to write about a combination: Alien, Avatar, We Were Soldiers, Saving Private Ryan thing then?

Might be helpful in your quest to maybe youtube the chronicals of L 3/25.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-23-10, 06:44 PM
Then Gunnery Sergeant it is then. Thank you. What is the average amount of years of service before you make to E7?

It varies by MOS. Really, if the Gunny is an infantryman, it could be as few as 12 or as many as 15.

You could also go off on a tangent and make him a "Marine Gunner". That's a Chief Warrant Officer 5 (usually), former enlisted Marine infantryman with a vast amount of experience as an Infantry Staff Non Commissioned Officer, who has been promoted to Warrant Officer status because of those skills. There is, at present, only one per Infantry Battalion, and they are the 'duty expert' on Infantry weapons and tactics.

They wear a Bursting Bomb insignia on one collar and a CWO-5 insignia on the other.

They are called "Gunner" by title.

These Marines are almost always those with 15 years or more of INFANTRY experience, and can serve basically up to 30 years if I recall correctly.

Might add some depth to your character, depending on how much backstory/prior engagements you want to have him involved in.

ShannonL
09-26-10, 11:53 PM
It varies by MOS. Really, if the Gunny is an infantryman, it could be as few as 12 or as many as 15.

You could also go off on a tangent and make him a "Marine Gunner". That's a Chief Warrant Officer 5 (usually), former enlisted Marine infantryman with a vast amount of experience as an Infantry Staff Non Commissioned Officer, who has been promoted to Warrant Officer status because of those skills. There is, at present, only one per Infantry Battalion, and they are the 'duty expert' on Infantry weapons and tactics.

They wear a Bursting Bomb insignia on one collar and a CWO-5 insignia on the other.

They are called "Gunner" by title.

These Marines are almost always those with 15 years or more of INFANTRY experience, and can serve basically up to 30 years if I recall correctly.

Might add some depth to your character, depending on how much backstory/prior engagements you want to have him involved in.

Thank you! Thats a great foundation to build a character on.

The Ka-Bar: what do you all think? A piece of steel to you or an object of deep respect because of what you both been through?

advanced
09-27-10, 09:32 AM
I still have my k-bar from the Nam, what do you think?

ShannonL
09-27-10, 01:14 PM
I still have my k-bar from the Nam, what do you think?

Yeah...I thought so. I bet its well taken care of.

advanced
09-27-10, 03:54 PM
If you'd like to shave let me know

jamielang1951
09-27-10, 04:31 PM
As you can tell from the post at the beginning of this thread, we are an extremely opinionated group. We "call it like we see it". If a woman ask our male Marines "does this make my azz look big", she better want the truth, because that's what she'll get, no matter if it gets our azz in a sling or not. We have deep love truth, its part of our Honor, and
our Honor isn't just a word to us; it's a way of life.

Good luck with your research.

jamielang1951
09-27-10, 04:36 PM
As you can tell from the post at the beginning of this thread, we are an extremely opinionated group. We "call it like we see it". If a woman ask our male Marines "does this make my azz look big", she better want the truth, because that's what she'll get, no matter if it gets our azz in a sling or not. We have deep love of truth, its part of our Honor, and honor isn't just a word to us; it's a way of life.

jamielang1951
09-27-10, 05:07 PM
Sorry for the double, something got henky with the edit. Mod can delete the first one.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-27-10, 08:00 PM
Shannon: Still carry mine from Kosovo. Now, I'm not a goofy about it, (I don't talk to it, for example LOL) but it does hold a special place.

ShannonL
09-28-10, 12:38 AM
As you can tell from the post at the beginning of this thread, we are an extremely opinionated group. We "call it like we see it". If a woman ask our male Marines "does this make my azz look big", she better want the truth, because that's what she'll get, no matter if it gets our azz in a sling or not. We have deep love of truth, its part of our Honor, and honor isn't just a word to us; it's a way of life.

Well said Marine! That type of attitude should be drilled into every male born!

@Sgt Leprechaun
To respect a weapon like her is not goofy but understandable, when your blood is shed and your life is spared because of it, or it was the only object with you that could stand the abuse you showed and still in its own way said "Come get some!"

The Samurai were then same. Like your Rifle Code, they had a code for their sword (The Katana) and treated it with the respect they would show thier family.

When you guys had to give back the M16 and M14 or whatever was issued to you guys at the time, I bet for some of you it was hard, after two maybe three tours. Your Ka-Bar became your third nut. The Ka-bar is like the Wakazashi (short sword) of the Samurai, they never went any where or did anything with out it. I understand completly.

Mongoose
09-28-10, 07:23 AM
I cant speak for all Marines. Leaving my weapon was not an issue. For me it was leaving my brother Marines. It was the great men I wallered in the mud with. The ones I shed blood with, and cried with. I never think of my weapon. And I never stop thinking of my brother Marines. I can never express the way I want. The honer and respect that those Marines deserve. Today I would still put my life in thier hands. Because I know where ever they are. Where ever life led them. They are still my brother Marines. S/F

Phantom Blooper
09-28-10, 07:36 AM
You got that right Billy!:beer:

K-Bar

M-79

M16

Weapons of choice....

Leave NO man/Marine/Navy behind!

Haunted by the Dogs Of War.....

But,NO finer battle.....:beer:

Semper-Fi!

:evilgrin:

jamielang1951
09-28-10, 10:13 AM
I cant speak for all Marines. Leaving my weapon was not an issue. For me it was leaving my brother Marines. It was the great men I wallered in the mud with. The ones I shed blood with, and cried with. I never think of my weapon. And I never stop thinking of my brother Marines. I can never express the way I want. The honer and respect that those Marines deserve. Today I would still put my life in thier hands. Because I know where ever they are. Where ever life led them. They are still my brother Marines. S/F

When I got back to the world, someone ask me "just what do you think you guys were fighting for in Vietnam". I told them I didn't know about the other services, but the Marines were fighting for each other.

ShannonL
09-28-10, 01:44 PM
When I got back to the world, someone ask me "just what do you think you guys were fighting for in Vietnam". I told them I didn't know about the other services, but the Marines were fighting for each other.

I understand that, when many of you were forced to fight because of the draft. That must've been kak. Life as you know it ends. You guys left one small family and joined another, greater family. A family of honour. S/F!
:flag:

Wyoming
09-28-10, 01:54 PM
I understand that, when many of you were forced to fight because of the draft. That must've been kak. Life as you know it ends. You guys left one small family and joined another, greater family. A family of honour. S/F!

Where are you getting off on this draft ****?

I joined.

I got a KBar.

Used an M14.

Wish I had an M79 at home.

WTF!

Quinbo
09-28-10, 02:25 PM
I have read some amazing posts by indiviuals that remember their rifle serial number. The hollywood idea that you are issued a rifle and carry it throughout you service is entirely false. The rifle you carry in boot camp stays in boot camp when you leave. The weapons you carry in infantry training stay there when you leave. Every unit you go to issues you a weapon and you may or may not take it with you on deployment.

Part of the riflemans creed is that there are many like it but this one is mine. Which ever one you have is yours for the moment. We are all trained to employ whatever weapon we were issued.

jamielang1951
09-29-10, 12:43 AM

Many were drafted, I joined, then volunteered for Vietnam. I couldn't let my brothers go it alone without my help.

ShannonL
09-29-10, 01:09 AM
Many were drafted, I joined, then volunteered for Vietnam. I couldn't let my brothers go it alone without my help.

A born Marine then I take it. Did you know you were a Marine in junior high? Some people know thier path very early in life.

kenrobg30
09-29-10, 07:48 AM
The Marine Corps took a lot of Draftees, during WWII, butdepended more heavily, on Enlistees, in tmist of the wars that followed. After WWII, the Corps kept the 'Regular' cadre small, and depended on the active and inactive Reserves, to fill out the ranks, when things got nasty.On spite of what some of our own say, you couldn't tell the difference, once we put that steel pot on our heads. A Marine is a Marine, and damned proud of it. :marine: S/F!! KEN

jamielang1951
09-29-10, 05:54 PM
A born Marine then I take it. Did you know you were a Marine in junior high? Some people know thier path very early in life.

I knew I was a Marine at 8, the first time I watched "Sands of Iwo Jima". I would of been one all my life, but my daughter was crippled by Neurofibromatosis. The Navy docs wanted to take her leg off, the Shriner's wanted to do a new graft procedure, but wouldn't do it as long as I had access to Navy medical.

ShannonL
10-01-10, 06:02 AM
I knew I was a Marine at 8, the first time I watched "Sands of Iwo Jima". I would of been one all my life, but my daughter was crippled by Neurofibromatosis. The Navy docs wanted to take her leg off, the Shriner's wanted to do a new graft procedure, but wouldn't do it as long as I had access to Navy medical.

Wether your still serve or push papers in a bank, once you passed training served with your Brothers. You were, and in thier eyes, always will be a Marine. Your daughters leg? Did they sort it out, if I may ask?

FistFu68
10-01-10, 08:34 AM
:usmc: Army Brat By Birth,Marine By Choice,SURVIVOR By The Grace Of GOD and The HEROICS Of My Fellow MARINES...Semper Fidelis :usmc: :iwo:

ShannonL
10-02-10, 01:10 PM
:usmc: Army Brat By Birth,Marine By Choice,SURVIVOR By The Grace Of GOD and The HEROICS Of My Fellow MARINES...Semper Fidelis :usmc: :iwo:

Well said!

ShannonL
10-22-10, 01:21 AM
I asked in the womans forum, about being a female Marine and what it's like.."your side of the coin"...

I got shot down...lol. Run with the bulls you gonna get poked.

Anyway. Is this the best place then? I wanna portray a female Marine properly.

jamielang1951
10-22-10, 04:04 AM
Wether your still serve or push papers in a bank, once you passed training served with your Brothers. You were, and in thier eyes, always will be a Marine. Your daughters leg? Did they sort it out, if I may ask?

The graft worked perfectly. She's now 41 and has no problems walking. Thanks for asking.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h327/DevilDogMarine1/Photos/ScannedSlides006.jpghttp://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h327/DevilDogMarine1/Photos/TempHoldjpg011.jpg

ShannonL
10-22-10, 04:16 AM
The graft worked perfectly. She's now 41 and has no problems walking. Thanks for asking.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h327/DevilDogMarine1/Photos/ScannedSlides006.jpghttp://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h327/DevilDogMarine1/Photos/TempHoldjpg011.jpg

That's great Marine! I'm glad they sorted it. Any other family member sign up?

Marine84
10-22-10, 08:00 AM

I, for one, am glad you survived! You've done some pretty heroic things yourself my friend.

ShannonL
10-24-10, 02:22 AM
The more Marines that come home after serving, the better!

AAV Crewchief
10-24-10, 04:01 AM
Asking what a firefight is like is like asking what sex is like. Well it sort of depends.

You know a 14 year old with a wandering finger vs a 30 year old in the middle of a wild group. Its all different. Yet in a way it's all somewhat similar.

Sometimes a fire fight comes out of the blue. And you go from walking and enjoying the surroundings to pure on terror in less than an instant. And then sometimes its over as fast as it starts. And sometimes it goes on for days.

Sometimes you chase your opposite number and sometimes they end of chasing you.

There is terror and adrenaline rushes as intense as any drug anyone has ever taken.

And after its over if you are alive and in one piece you have this great rush of just being alive. A wonderful feeling.

And if you have not lost any Marines you have this great sense of having done something truly fun and exciting.

And if a Marine has been lost your first thought is----"SOB it was not me" A somewhat nice feeling. Of course followed by big time guilt and hurt for those that were lost.

It can be the worst time of your life. It can also be the best.

But many of those involved are hardly thinking about Jesus. Many in fact do not believe he is much. Its not a bunch of christian crusaders.

Many are in fact quite anti-religion and jesus and god in any traditional sense.(considering the number of non-believers, Jews, Muslims, etc that are fighting making them all jesus lovers in a book is making a lie)

And then your tour is over and you come home. And then you spend the next 45 years wondering why almost 60,000 US lives were wasted for a war that never needed to be fought. Along with millions of civilian deaths. Many kids and small children. Lovely children. Now burnt to a focking crisp. And for what?

And you begin in a way to hate those that sent those young American kids to die while for the most part their kids stayed home and lived a well kept and safe life while you and your mates humped the hills from he/ll.

And you begin to dislike those that joined but somehow managed to also never hump those hills or experience that incoming. Leaving their brothers to die while they never once think of demanding to go themselves.

Hate and dislike being an outcome of any war deployment IMO-----at least for those that had a real true hunting and being hunted war deployment.

And then you realize that war is a terrible thing. And those that go on about saving the world and glory are mostly REMF's that have never humped those hills or never know what being surrounded or overrun is like. Or have never seen those broken and wasted lives of those you truly love.

But you have pride in what you did. Realizing that most would opt not to share your experience.

But that pride does not wash out the realization that it was all a waste that should have never happened.

And what do I remember the most? Being bone dead tired, hungry beyond belief, and so thirsty you will in fact drink sh/it laced rice paddy water and then crap coal black stools for months after. With cramps so bad that it will drive you to your knees and make you cry.

Glory my azz.

Great post.:thumbup:

wildwoman73
10-24-10, 09:32 AM
I asked in the womans forum, about being a female Marine and what it's like.."your side of the coin"...

I got shot down...lol. Run with the bulls you gonna get poked.

Anyway. Is this the best place then? I wanna portray a female Marine properly.

Hahaha....how fun was that?? I'll have to look for that and read it. This feed has been very educational, heart warming, blood pressure raising, and a pure reminder why I CHOSE to be a Marine. You are only 29? It's not to late to join. Cut off is what? 34? US citizen right?

I have no combat history. But I do have a GREAT respect for all who serve this country honorably with integrity. There is a comradery that surpasses any of what those on the outside looking in think they may know about. (Did that make sense?). My friend, be careful the wounds you pick at. Make sure they aren't too fresh.

As far as women...come on now. I haven't been to the women's forum yet to read your rejection. However, judging from the way you "gracefully" eased into this forum and stirred a hornets nest for a bit...I'm anxious to get there!!

I'll use sex metaphorically like lynn2. Everybody seems to understand that. ShannonL...you need some wining and dining skills. You wouldn't take a lady out on a first date and expect to get laid would you? Try a different approach.

Mongoose
10-24-10, 10:10 AM
Hahaha....how fun was that?? I'll have to look for that and read it. This feed has been very educational, heart warming, blood pressure raising, and a pure reminder why I CHOSE to be a Marine. You are only 29? It's not to late to join. Cut off is what? 34? US citizen right?

I have no combat history. But I do have a GREAT respect for all who serve this country honorably with integrity. There is a comradery that surpasses any of what those on the outside looking in think they may know about. (Did that make sense?). My friend, be careful the wounds you pick at. Make sure they aren't too fresh.

As far as women...come on now. I haven't been to the women's forum yet to read your rejection. However, judging from the way you "gracefully" eased into this forum and stirred a hornets nest for a bit...I'm anxious to get there!!

I'll use sex metaphorically like lynn2. Everybody seems to understand that. ShannonL...you need some wining and dining skills. You wouldn't take a lady out on a first date and expect to get laid would you? Try a different approach.
Wildwoman73 is a true Lady Marine. One I could easily share a foxhole with. Love our Women Marines! S/F

ShannonL
10-24-10, 01:42 PM

I understand my wording here might be taken wrong. Not my intention. I never want to see the good die.

Mongoose
10-24-10, 03:37 PM
I dont know how many Marines youll find that want to talk about that subject. To me it was like God taking hold of the world and shaking it as hard as he could. While you try to hang on with everything you got. It lets you know how small you really are.

ShannonL
10-24-10, 03:42 PM
I dont know how many Marines youll find that want to talk about that subject. To me it was like God taking hold of the world and shaking it as hard as he could. While you try to hang on with everything you got. It lets you know how small you really are.

That says alot Marine.

ShannonL
11-01-10, 12:43 AM
Marines, Whats it like calling an airstrike, what are you parameters for calling one while in battle?

AmericanGuitar
11-01-10, 06:36 PM
Who cares, your book is going to ****ing suck. real original **** here, I can tell, and you want to put females in combat? Awesome. Hey, maybe if you end up writing it people like me can read it so I can learn how awesome of a time I'm going to have fighting aliens in the future when I enlist or whatever the f*ck this is about.

OLE SARG
11-01-10, 07:45 PM
Is this azzhole a poser or a fvcking wanna be????????? Sure got a smartazz mouth for such a young pseudo-intellectual punk!!! Btw, I've never heard of Lonf Island!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

OLE SARG
11-01-10, 07:47 PM
Is this guitar guy a poser or a fvcking wanna be?????? Talks big for an internet punk. Btw, where the fvck is Lonf Island?????

Trying to delete this post but do they make that easy?????? FVCK NO!!!!!!!!!:mad:

wildwoman73
11-02-10, 02:28 AM
Hey Ole Sarg, I bet Lonf Island is somewhere close to You Don't Rate-ville....you know, just south of Get Lost.

AAV Crewchief
11-02-10, 02:51 AM
Hey Ole Sarg, I bet Lonf Island is somewhere close to You Don't Rate-ville....you know, just south of Get Lost.

OOOOOOOOHRAAAAHHHH Wildwoman!!!

AmericanGuitar
11-02-10, 08:14 AM
No ****, I'm not a Marine yet. But I don't need to be a Marine to have an opinion. It's because of all of you that I started to question my decision to become a Marine. With all of you DEMANDING respect, and talking about how people don't rate what? Having an opinion? Thank God I found TerminalLance though, so it's all good!

ShannonL
11-02-10, 12:24 PM
I read guitars post on my Blackberry (great quality phones by the way, excellent customer service) and was gonna check his profile and respond but I missed that boat...LOL. Judging from the posts after his deleted post, I take it he is the type of guy you all wanna string up as a punching bag. Thank you all for stepping in...I really appreciate it. :beer:

devildweeb
11-02-10, 12:29 PM
I didnt get to read the post everyone is so worked up over so I wont say I know anything on it but I do have a quick question about it. First what did he/she say that was so bad and something thats been bugging me that I've seen on this sight why do you call any Poolee or Civilian a non-rate or wannabe? Just seems to me to be really disrespectful considering were all supposed to be adults and yet it seems like High School on here sometimes. Not trying to be a dick just asking for some insight on this.

OLE SARG
11-02-10, 12:37 PM

:thumbup::thumbup::flag:

SEMPER FI,

wildwoman73
11-02-10, 04:01 PM
First of all, his freedom of speech was about as ghetto as they come. It was a malicious statement to simply be hateful. Giving constructive criticism is understandable, even if it is negative. But disrespectful destructive criticism is uncalled for. If I replied as educated as he sounded, my comment would have been deleted too! But I am smart. I know more than mispelled four letter words. If you are going to run your mouth, at least have the common courtesy to have a profile of "somebody" valid to back up your statements. I don't know about the rest of you...but I do not listen to a bunch of "nobodies". Be a man...or a woman...with something to say. Not some fictitious idiot behind a computer screen. Agree or disagree. It's your choice. Just know that I will express my opinion validly and I will take up for the underdog at whatever the cost.

wildwoman73
11-02-10, 04:17 PM
Ha...hahaha...hahahahahahah.,.....ahhhhhh.

Baker1971
11-02-10, 04:19 PM
TOO LATE, THE PERSON TO WHOM THIS WAS ADDRESSED WAS ALREADY BOOTED....SURPRISE....

If you didn't read the post, then how can you have a question about it?
Not every poolee or civilian is treated that way. It depends on their posts.
It may seem like high school but it isn't.
And your last sentence, first part? Why even say it? That's like saying NOT to be disrespectful, BUT......and then the person goes on to be disrespectful.....
Worry just as much as how you are coming across.

Baker1971
11-02-10, 04:26 PM
MY mistake, I was responding to post 105, not to American Guitar, so my previous post still stands, as he came right to Guitar's defense......lets' tone it down people, have some respect...most do, a lot don't

yellowwing
11-02-10, 05:21 PM
MY mistake, I was responding to post 105, not to American Guitar, so my previous post still stands, as he came right to Guitar's defense......lets' tone it down people, have some respect...most do, a lot don't

Good ending Baker! :thumbup: