PDA

View Full Version : Going to Recruit Training out of shape...

Steve018
09-12-10, 05:17 PM
Yep, most dumbass thing to do right? Well in my case it may be the only way to go. Just last friday I was sent to the ER due to a torsion(when the testicle twists on itself), needed surgery and here I am on the web. Everything should be healed in two weeks, which is awesome, however, I cannot work out for 6 weeks and I leave in 7 weeks (my recruiter said it was ok)... I'm ****ed. I'm gonna check with my doctor if I can do some light jogging or something. I'm just asking for some motivation and I'm wondering if you guys have any idea of much out shape I'm actually gonna be. Is it gonna be bad, will I still be in moderate shape or what? My current IST is as follows: Pull ups:8 Run: 10:53 Sit ups: 85 Thanks for any help/

PooleeBogenrief
09-12-10, 05:21 PM
Could you get your ship date bumped?

Steve018
09-12-10, 05:24 PM
I can ask, I'm not sure if there will be any open spots though. I want to go so bad but for my balls sake I can hold out haha.

tblake87
09-12-10, 05:26 PM
Yeah if I was you, I would see if you could get the ship date bumped back a bit if possible. But at the same time, looking at your signature, it looks like you were well above the minimum requirements so I can't imagine your fitness would drop so dramatically in 6 weeks that you would be dropped to PCP. It's going to come down to what you feel comfortable doing.

ScarSniper
09-12-10, 05:55 PM
Yep, most dumbass thing to do right? Well in my case it may be the only way to go. Just last friday I was sent to the ER due to a torsion(when the testicle twists on itself), needed surgery and here I am on the web. Everything should be healed in two weeks, which is awesome, however, I cannot work out for 6 weeks and I leave in 7 weeks (my recruiter said it was ok)... I'm ****ed. I'm gonna check with my doctor if I can do some light jogging or something. I'm just asking for some motivation and I'm wondering if you guys have any idea of much out shape I'm actually gonna be. Is it gonna be bad, will I still be in moderate shape or what? My current IST is as follows: Pull ups:8 Run: 10:53 Sit ups: 85 Thanks for any help/

Dude. 6 weeks? A month and a 1/2 without training? Yikes! I feel weak when I go a week without hitting the gym. You definitely won't be able to ship. If you're doing 8 pull-ups now, honestly speaking you probably wont be able to do 5 if you go 6 weeks without PT, which means you wouldn't be able to ship anyway. And I wouldn't recommend crunches what with the testicular problem. Tell your recruiter to ship you later. He has to.

Rough Hands
09-12-10, 06:38 PM
I don't think your stats are gonna' suffer that much from a 6 week recovery; you'll still be able to pass the IST, I'm sure. However, it probably would be in your best interest to have your ship date moved, if possible. (Although, I can't say I have a lot of experience with 'torsion'. You know, being female and all.)

Steve018
09-12-10, 07:28 PM
Alright, I'll see if I can get my ship date moved up, it might not be such a bad idea, I can get a job while I wait haha. I'll also see what my doctor says first, if i can work out a week before I ship I dont think I would be too bad right?

pattchan
09-12-10, 07:48 PM
GO TO BOOT CAMP NOW. WHAT HAPPENS IF U TWISTED UR TESTICLE AGAIN ON BOOT CAMP. U GONNA TELL UR DI SIR MY BALLS TWISTED SIR. U THINK THEY GONNA CARE?

jk ask to switch shipdates with someone im sure someone will want to ship out earlier

PooleeBogenrief
09-13-10, 12:00 AM
This torsion thing sounds like every guys worst nightmare..

Steve018
09-13-10, 01:39 PM
This torsion thing sounds like every guys worst nightmare..

YOU HAVE NO IDEA. It was THE WORST PAIN i have ever felt in my life. :cry:

Anyway, my recruiter said I can switch with someone, might leave in Janurary now but I can at least get a job, get my IST even higher than before and get a little more wisdom in about the Marine Corps. Hopefully my children won't be to messed up now haha

PooleeBogenrief
09-13-10, 02:36 PM
YOU HAVE NO IDEA. It was THE WORST PAIN i have ever felt in my life. :cry:

Anyway, my recruiter said I can switch with someone, might leave in Janurary now but I can at least get a job, get my IST even higher than before and get a little more wisdom in about the Marine Corps. Hopefully my children won't be to messed up now haha

Nice man, good luck with that

younger223
09-13-10, 02:49 PM
That happened to me one time also. Before I went to the hospital I couldnt get out of bed for like 4 days and when I did I threw up everywhere. It healed on it's own, but to this day if I work out too hard then every once in a while it will hurt for a bit. Point is, after recovery while you're working out, if it starts to hurt just a little bit then STOP lol. You'll regret it.

I would look into the ship date being moved if you didnt feel comfortable also. Way better to be safe than sorry.

Steve018
09-13-10, 03:05 PM
That happened to me one time also. Before I went to the hospital I couldnt get out of bed for like 4 days and when I did I threw up everywhere. It healed on it's own, but to this day if I work out too hard then every once in a while it will hurt for a bit. Point is, after recovery while you're working out, if it starts to hurt just a little bit then STOP lol. You'll regret it.

I would look into the ship date being moved if you didnt feel comfortable also. Way better to be safe than sorry.

You sure you had a torsion? After 6 hours they would have had to remove the testicle.

shadox
09-13-10, 03:11 PM
A torsion, huh?

Maybe you can ship now and have a Drill Instructor kick you in the balls hard enough to fix that. :evilgrin:

franksg99
09-13-10, 10:11 PM
DAMN sorry to hear about that dude, sounds nasty :scared:. Guess I'll be shipping alone then!

younger223
09-14-10, 08:59 AM
Yes, it wasnt bad at all and somehow unwrapped itself :/ the spermatic cord didn't completely cut off all the blood, but I waited too long and it is almost useless but not entirely lol. They gave me...

Steve018
09-14-10, 01:01 PM
DAMN sorry to hear about that dude, sounds nasty :scared:. Guess I'll be shipping alone then!

Yeah, sorry bro, wouldve been cool to train with someone from plainfeild haha.

And younger223 (sorry, dont know how to quote two quotes in one post), glad yours wasnt bad. Wearing a jock strap for two weeks isnt all that fun haha, hope you heal up though and that people wont kick you in the nuts.

Well today i'm gonna speak with my doctor for a follow up and then talk to my recruiter. I want to get a ship date sometime in late november but if i cant I might have to switch with someone with a Jan 10 ship date. I can't believe i was so close to shipping and then this happens...

younger223
09-16-10, 01:42 PM
At least you'll be here for Christmas if you leave in Jan. I leave a week before Christmas :/

Steve018
09-18-10, 02:36 PM
UPDATE: Finally got a hold of my recruiter (well the new one any way, mine never answered his phone) and they are definitely gonna push my ship date, I'm hoping for the end of November or I might be able to switch with a buddy of mine who ships Jan 10. Should be able to get in some nice Chicago winter PT and freeze my ass off