PDA

View Full Version : Spent a day at Parris Island

Cardboardbox
09-11-10, 09:18 PM
My RSS went down there for a graduation and for a tour around the island yesterday. If you are unmotivated, or worried that you'll mess up (which you will) by the end of the day the DIs will make sure you have it right. My RSS couldn't walk in squads of 4, but we had it right by the end of the day, and we could fix it in less than 10 seconds.

A little something that happened to me, after we ran out of the squad bay we were standing at attention in the road and I reached up and scratched my face (oops) one of the DIs walked up to me and screamed about 2 inches from my face, "STOP SCRATCHING YOUR FACE!!" I yelled back saying "aye sir" and he kept saying it wasn't yelling..after about the 6th time my voice cracked and he let off.

I almost lost my voice by the end of the day. It was probably one of the slowest days I'd ever had. The graduation was really amazing too.

Cardboardbox
09-11-10, 09:28 PM
By the way.. the Drill Instructors were Sgt. Bogart and Sgt. Tyler. Both very mean and loud lol.

franksg99
09-11-10, 10:47 PM
That is awesome, must have been very motivating! :thumbup: Wish I wasn't so damn far from a depot...

19jphill87
09-16-10, 09:10 AM
very cool wish my RSS did stuff like that. I haven't even done an IST yet. Last weekend we were told that we would but ended up doing warm up PT and 3.5 mile formation run which was very sloppy, then did a pull up, push up pyramid. I barely broke a sweat. I would like to spend time learning close order drills and commands, but most guys in my poolee function are so out of shape and can hardly do 10 push up we spend most of our time doing easy warm up PT stuff.

wilsontc11
09-16-10, 09:33 AM
Nice. I wish I lived near Parris Island so I could do stuff like that. I used to live on Hilton Head like, right next to Parris Island but that was before I joined.

The most fun thing weve done is going camping. We went for a 7 mile "run" (i quote it because every poolee except for 2 people had to walk at one point or another), swam in an ice cold river when it was like 100 degrees out, played football, shot weapons, and marched some. we slept outside and did fire watch too, it was alot of fun. Probably nowhere near as fun as going to a depot though

younger223
09-16-10, 01:46 PM
That all sounds fun. The most fun thing my RSS has done recently is murder the Navy guys at paintball and destroy the Army at football lol. :P wish I lived close to my MCRD.

Nerd
09-16-10, 05:48 PM
My RSS went paintballing, and we divided into squads and fire teams and everything. It was awesome. It was like fighting alongside my recruiter in Iraq or something (he's going back to active duty infantry in a year so, hell it could happen in real life).

And then we went to the Marine Corps museum, and a real DI from San Diego came and yelled at us. he got in my face because some jerk stole my spot in the formation so I had to move to the side

the802
09-16-10, 07:09 PM
We never do anything like any of this, we just have intense PT every week and first saturday... At least one poolee pukes every week, even the PT machines puke at our functions.

wilsontc11
09-16-10, 07:13 PM
speaking of throwing up, I remember we had MRE's at a pool function. There was this girl who was pretty out of shape, she ate spaghetti / drank one of the strawberry milkshake things you get. then we decided to PT right after everyone was done lol. she was yacking it up all over the place

Cardboardbox
09-20-10, 08:28 PM
By the way, the food at Parris Island is delicious.

NGEdwards88
09-20-10, 11:55 PM
Good times, good times Poolee Lane. I was on that trip. I have to admit the food was surprisingly tasty. I overestimated the obstacle courses though. Although they'll be hard as hell im sure, in my minds eye I thought the stairway to heaven would be at least 50ft. I also managed to keep attention off me enough to not get yelled at. Hell I would've messed up on purpose for that!

Kiri
09-21-10, 10:46 AM
Sweet. I wish I could go visit the depot but PI from Mid-Illinois may be a tad too far for my budget.

Cardboardbox
09-23-10, 01:44 AM
I was the guy who got yelled at for scratching his face right after we ran out of the squad bay lol.

NGEdwards88
09-23-10, 02:26 PM
haha, I remember someone getting yelled at for that, and had previously scratched my face at least once (but didn't get caught for it). After that happened, I didn't even move my arms a little to make it look like I MIGHT scratch, for fear of getting yelled at. I'm sure I'll mess up at some point in boot though.