PDA

View Full Version : Information on a LAT move..?

JTMarineCorps
09-11-10, 07:52 PM
Oorah Devils,
I have a question about a LAT move. I'm currently 3 weeks away from graduating quartermaster school at Ft. Lee.. yes, I'm a Marine cook. I had an 0311 contract up until December when the Corps started to downsize and I lost my MOS. I was forced to wait another three months (I had already waited 4) and go to Parris Island with an open contract. Well, this is what I got. I cant stand it. At all. I joined the Marines to fight and I'm baking cakes. It's seriously horrible. I'm getting station at Camp Lejune attatched to CLR 27. I was wondering if there is any way I can switch my MOS this early? Or if there are any duties other than MSG I can do? I heard theres actually a duty where you go and find UA Marines, is that true? I'm willing to do anything but cook. Someone please try and help me out. Semper Fi

Backhaus 1103
09-11-10, 08:43 PM
You be f*cked...at least for 2 years, more like your enlistment. Should've waited and got what you want.
Hopfully you don't work at a chow hall and just do what the other cooks do...skate like a motha f*cka I haven't seen them do anything...ever.

Beltayn
09-11-10, 11:06 PM
I heard theres actually a duty where you go and find UA Marines, is that true?Chaser duty is something you don't generally volunteer for, but which they just kind of pick people to do. And boots are not normally going to be picked, but rather senior lances or NCOs.
You are correct that it is a real job though.

You have a couple of options, realistically. If you are desperate to not be a cook, I'd go as far as to say pursue all of them at once.
1)Volunteer to deploy on an IA (Individual Augmentee) billet. You'll deploy and end up standing post for 7 months. Boring, yes, but you get a few ribbons and some bank out of it, and you won't be cooking.
2)Volunteer for a b-billet such as MSG (Embassy Security Guard Duty). You won't be able to actually get orders to a b-billet though until you have at least 18 months on-station with your first unit.
3)Talk to your career planner about lateral move requirements and options. If you have high ASVAB scores and get good pro/cons and are generally squared away and have the support of your command, it's a possibility that you may be able to lat move at your 2-year mark. It is a low possibility though, particularly as a cook, but the chance is there.

Understand that none of these things will happen if you alienate your immediate chain of command and peers in your unit by taking your frustration out on them in your day-to-day job. You need to impress the people you work with and show you have the potential for bigger and better things. I understand it can be very frustrating that you are not doing what you want to do, but these things take time, and you will need to build up the credibility of rank and of mos proficiency to convince people to let you do something different.

Understand also that all your options will take time, and you are unlikely to see much progress until at least you are a Lance Corporal and are at or past your two-year time in service mark. Be patient. Be professional. Earn the opportunities you desire.

Good luck.

p.s. Being a cook ain't so bad. ^^

Backhaus 1103
09-11-10, 11:28 PM
You don't want to be on guard force and stand post for 7 months. YOU WILL GO ****ING CRAZY. You will be spending anywhere from 6 to 24 hours in a box with gear on and an ANA or ANCOP who are annyoing as f*ck. You might get shot at, depends where you are, but it will be few and far between (talibs like to ambush you when you don't have cover).
I didn't stand a lot of post, but I stood enough to know that I would rather suck start a 203 than stand post for a whole deployment.

Beltayn
09-12-10, 03:07 AM
For some people, the suck that you chose is infinitely preferable to the suck that you had no control over.

hussaf
09-12-10, 10:02 AM
Don't they send IA guys to DETFACs as well? Those guys, although bored, seemed like they had an alright life.

You could try for something like PMI/Coaches course over at MTU on Stonebay. They'd prob make you work there for a few months as kind of a perm personnel but still stationed back at your old unit. You could try to get a HAZMAT billet, or go to swim or MCMAP school. Something to keep you busy and out of cooking for some amount of time.

Backhaus 1103
09-12-10, 11:02 AM
For some people, the suck that you chose is infinitely preferable to the suck that you had no control over.

Yea coming from people who have never stood post for long a*s hours.
Fine kid, go be guard force. I don't give two sh!ts, it's you not me. Just don't come back here *****n about it.
By the way you're still going to be a boot...unless you earn you're car

fpdesignco
09-12-10, 01:02 PM
Yea coming from people who have never stood post for long a*s hours.
Fine kid, go be guard force. I don't give two sh!ts, it's you not me. Just don't come back here *****n about it.

....... Lets try to be a bit more PC on a public Marine Corps forum. Your ****ing the non 03's off, there vindictive, careful. As far as a LAT Move, its a little to early in your career to be considering that, you signed up made the commitment and got the job "cook", suck it up and live with it, hell you might even go to a Victor unit and get attached to line companies where you will have a opportunity to patrol, well mabyee, but at least you might be able to.
As far as MSG, you need a pretty clean background and you need some time on station before you consider going that route..... Ive been on two deployments had to re-enlist and that bout the only reason I got let go outta my unit to msg here in the next month. Special Duties are going to be dependant on your command. Yes, I know it is not up to your command on SDA's however enjoy doing the screening process without the full confidence of your ENTIRE chain of command.
Suck it up, try to get on some IA billets to Afghanistan, hell if you can get on a MITT or ITT DO IT, it might be a year long but atleast you wont sit in the fob for the entire deployment. There always opportunities out there, take advantage of them when you see them and good luck!

Wyoming
09-12-10, 01:11 PM

Really!!!

Support personnel are always 'going to be boot'?

Are they someone to look down upon?

Backhaus 1103
09-12-10, 02:07 PM
Really!!!

Support personnel are always 'going to be boot'?

Are they someone to look down upon?

Did I say that? I don't give a rats ass if you've been in for 10 min or 30 years, if you're good at what you do then you're good by me. But if you spend 7 months on a major base in country that has a god damn KFC on it then you're still a boot. It's a little hard to go outside the wire and not hit an ied or get shot at.
I'm pretty sure that some nam and ww2 vets would say I'm still a boot. I didn't have Bn size elements attack my patrol base at a time.

Beltayn
09-13-10, 12:12 AM
The original poster wasn't asking for advice on how to no longer be considered a boot, or how to earn a CAR, or whatever.
He was asking for what options he had available to do something other than the mos of cook in the short-term future.
We laid out his options. Nobody pretended that standing post doesn't suck. It was just that, an option.

Some people take motivation when then are in a ****ty situation out of the knowledge that they at least chose to be there. I think every Marine can relate to that feeling. There's nothing worse than being in a ****ty situation that you did not plan for and had no control over, on the other hand.
It's possible that the new Marine in question will feel more enthusiastic about a role where at least he has a chance to "play Marine", so to speak, doing an important job, with a military feel, making use of a weapon, rather than the role of a cook where he may never see a weapon at all for the rest of his enlistment except when he requals at the range.

Backhaus 1103
09-13-10, 05:51 AM
The original poster wasn't asking for advice on how to no longer be considered a boot, or how to earn a CAR, or whatever.
He was asking for what options he had available to do something other than the mos of cook in the short-term future.
We laid out his options. Nobody pretended that standing post doesn't suck. It was just that, an option.

Some people take motivation when then are in a ****ty situation out of the knowledge that they at least chose to be there. I think every Marine can relate to that feeling. There's nothing worse than being in a ****ty situation that you did not plan for and had no control over, on the other hand.
It's possible that the new Marine in question will feel more enthusiastic about a role where at least he has a chance to "play Marine", so to speak, doing an important job, with a military feel, making use of a weapon, rather than the role of a cook where he may never see a weapon at all for the rest of his enlistment except when he requals at the range.

And I was giving my advice that being a cook is probably better than being guard force.

Beltayn
09-13-10, 08:54 PM
Your penis is indeed larger.

Backhaus 1103
09-14-10, 11:21 AM
Your penis is indeed larger.

Go make me a cheeseburger.