PDA

View Full Version : Marine draft???

rj3000
09-11-10, 02:36 PM
newbee here... Question: was there ever a draft for the Marines during Viet Nam or was that strictly an Army thing??? Thanks in advance.

manilalaguna29
09-11-10, 02:41 PM
There were 42,000 Marines drafted during the Vietnam war years.

rj3000
09-11-10, 02:45 PM
Thanks...

Lynn2
09-11-10, 08:17 PM
And at least one of those drafted ended up running patrols on a USMC Recon team for 13 months.

A heck of a Marine

RichRich
07-31-14, 03:27 PM
There were 42,000 Marines drafted during the Vietnam war years.

I am a living, breathing Marine draftee. Drafted directly into the Corps with 5 others in May, '68. Only one of us ended up a 03.

Old Marine
07-31-14, 04:55 PM
Trained a lot of Marine recruits who were drafted. Most were more mature and older than the other recruits and most became Marines with little or no problems.

joseywales
07-31-14, 04:56 PM
four year old thread lets see if we can find some that are ten

MunkyVsRobot
07-31-14, 06:55 PM
My guess is it is either trolls or a bot. Because it is always someone who it is their first post never someone who joined in like 2012 or anytime after the day the post is made.

josephd
07-31-14, 08:06 PM
they get dug up because when they search topics like this on Google or other search engines and this web site/forum shows up. They have never been to this site before so they register just to post in a thread that is ages old, they don't pay attention to that kind of thing.

m14ed
08-01-14, 04:45 AM
they get dug up because when they search topics like this on Google
or other search engines
and this web site/forum shows up.

They have never been to this site before ,
so they register just to post in a thread
that is ages old,
they don't pay attention to that kind of thing.

That sounds pretty close .
His profile shows he posted about 4 places yesterday
IT also shows he went thru Boot and earned the title..

He's old enough, and like me,
really doesn't give a $hit.

Marine1011
08-01-14, 06:52 AM
He better Start giving a s$it and read the old threads but don't addto tehm leave em be. once in awhilesomeone will ask a question, hey what do I do about this, and the question was in 2009, someone today will come along and say oh you should do this, that's really stupid as the original guy probably died of old age.
wake up and post responsibly and while sober

RichRich
08-01-14, 07:53 AM
Yes, you are right on some points. I did just join because of a Google search. Even though this thread is old, it is of interest to me.
I am not a troll. I am not a bot. I am and was sober. I am looking for others that entered the Corps through the draft.
Sometimes old threads need to be resurrected. I believe "Old Marine" felt it was worth a response.

I will continue reading and may post to some older threads. No need to answer this.
SF

USMC 2571
08-01-14, 07:55 AM
Welcome to the site. There is a small group who hate to see old threads brought up, but those are chiefly when the original poster asks a very specific question and the thread is 8 years old, and the specific answer doesn't even apply anymore, it was asked 8 years ago! But there are some here who don't like the idea of bringing up old threads, period, but to each his own. You're doing fine.

RichRich
08-01-14, 08:24 AM
USMC2571,
Thanks for the welcome.

Old Marine
08-01-14, 10:30 AM
He better Start giving a s$it and read the old threads but don't addto tehm leave em be. once in awhilesomeone will ask a question, hey what do I do about this, and the question was in 2009, someone today will come along and say oh you should do this, that's really stupid as the original guy probably died of old age.
wake up and post responsibly and while sober

I believe that some of the old threads are great. Maybe its because I am old, sober and don't give a ****e. Some are really moldy, but interesting to read. This particular thread is a great thread and I have seen this question asked many times on other threads. Oh well, continue to take a 30" step.

ChuckH
08-01-14, 10:42 AM
I dont get all the bs over answering an old thread..
So What.. what is the big deal...
What is sad is when a new member happens to reply to an older thread.. the need of others to jump on his case for replying...

USMC 2571
08-01-14, 10:45 AM
Chuck, I think it's especially when someone asks a question 9 years ago, what is a good restaurant to stop at on my way from Philly to NYC, and a guy comes on yesterday and recommends a place! But besides that, I agree with you, for general subject threads like this one, who cares how old they are.

ChuckH
08-01-14, 11:01 AM
Think I will start going to threads 4 years and older and post just to bring them to the surface!!
LOL :p

USMC 2571
08-01-14, 11:04 AM
That's right, Chuck, keep 'em all riled up like they always are in the Political Forum. LOL

It should make for lots of laughs.

29palms
08-01-14, 08:02 PM
So what if these post are old. They can be ignored. Some of these older post are good and need to be re-surfaced.

Marine1011
08-01-14, 08:48 PM
nonsense

m14ed
08-02-14, 04:12 AM
I believe that some of the old threads are great.

Maybe it's because I am old,
sober
and don't give a $hit.

Some are really moldy, but interesting to read.
This particular thread is a great thread
and I have seen this question asked many times on other threads.

Oh well,
continue to take a 30" step.

I take extream pride knowing OldMarine has now
posted a statement that i agree with ..