PDA

View Full Version : Back Pain

blkhrt
09-11-10, 11:03 AM
I have been fighting with VA for some compensation for my back. When I got out I had MRI's done that found I have a herniated disk in my lumbar spine. I presented the VA with this info and was turned down. I just recently went back and was told it has gotten worse. Now every disk in my lumbar is herniated, and I have pain everyday. I am seeing a chiropractor, who will be writing a letter so I can turn that in as well.

Does anyone else have any other experience with back problems and the VA. I cant imagine how they can deny me know. The first time I put in for it I was declined due to "lack of evidence".

doc h fmf
09-13-10, 11:17 AM
John Unfortunitly Unless You Got Hurt While In Ramadi With A Purple Heart You Wont Get Anything.i Was Fighting The Va For 8 Years With My Persian Gulf Illness And I Still Havent Gotten Squat.

Goodluck And Semper Fi My Brother

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

spotts
09-13-10, 12:09 PM
Contact a VSO such as the American Legion, DAV, VFW etc and they can help you through the paperwork and appeals process.

hbharrison
09-13-10, 12:17 PM
Spotts is correct you need to go to the VFW, Ligion or DAV have them help you with appeals and what ever you do, do not give up and yes it is a long road to travel I have been on it for over 40 years. Marine don't give up!!!!! S/F Butch

spotts
09-13-10, 01:36 PM
If you run into a problem with the paperwork or have a question IM me. I worked for the VA in Philadelphia.

CalmaSAdkisson
09-13-10, 03:31 PM
I have a real bad "C" spine. I was treated by a sports doctor and even though it is really really bad I got 10%. He treats me by burning the nerves at each vertebrae junction. But the way the medical evidence is presented has a lot to do with the VA. More credentials the better. Good Luck.......

TMM54
09-13-10, 08:01 PM
The American Legion or DAV specialize in getting the claims filed for us vets correctly and then making sure we get what we deserve. Go to one of these organizations and get a claim filed now. Takes a little time, but in the end, you will get the benefits you have earned and deserve.

Many VA Hospitals have chiropractors on staff (Dr. Chip Gowan in Kansas City 0 he is wonderful). Tell your primary care physician at the VA you desire a referral to see the chiropractor on staff. If there is not one, or they refuse, write your U.S. Senator and start asking for help.

I had to do this about my medical treatment, and the VA fixed things fast.

Semper Fi, Tom

dilligaf
09-18-10, 01:26 AM
As the others have said your first step should be to get a VSO. I have found that the VSOs from the Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA) really know their business when it comes to back injuries. This is the organization I have used for the past 19 years for a disability similar to yours. You need to keep in mind that the VA will not rate your disability based on the pain you feel but rather your range of motion. This could be the "lack of evidence" they cited on your claim.
Good luck to you
Bob

blkhrt
10-06-10, 01:34 PM
I have been awarded a few vistist to a chrio. I am now 100% with ptsd, but my back is still killing me. I am working with the Military Order of the Purple Heart now with my back clam. Thank you all very much for the responses.

hbharrison
10-06-10, 01:48 PM
I have been awarded a few vistist to a chrio. I am now 100% with ptsd, but my back is still killing me. I am working with the Military Order of the Purple Heart now with my back clam. Thank you all very much for the responses.

Let us know what happens and you may wish to check with a bone doc about your back. Had the same problem some years ago had a bone Doc do surgery on it no more prblems ever, nice no pain. S/F

Beck
11-02-10, 07:43 PM
I am service connected 40% on my back. The difference is that I have evidence in my medical record when I was in the Marines that I was seen in the BAS for this condition. If there is not evidence you were treated for the condition when you were on active duty, you have an uphill battle. However, the VA does take private doctors notes as evidence. As has been said, the more evidence you can submit to the VA, the better. Submit copies of ALL your medical records, no matter where they come from that have evidence to support your claim. Start going to the VA for treatment for the condition. The best to you. Good luck in your endeavor.