PDA

View Full Version : Has this happened to anybody else?

Rough Hands
09-10-10, 08:24 PM
Yesterday, I went to PT with the Gunny at our office, and he had all the poolees that showed up run a 3-mile. I finished in under 30 minutes (I think 31:30 is max for females) and felt pretty good about it, considering I've never really ran a full 3-mile nor have I ever timed myself on distance runs/jogs.

Today, I went to weigh-in since I had to finish some pre-ship paperwork with my recruiter because I ship in just about 30 days. Anyhow, the minute I showed up he had us (there were two other poolees there who are shipping out the same day as I am) run a mile and a half, just for the heck of it. I was pretty unprepared for it, but when I was running I felt pretty good about it and I had even convinced myself that I was going to finish in under 13 minutes (my personal best).

However, I finished somewhere over 15 minutes, and I still don't believe it. Granted, I had barely eaten or hydrated this morning (trying to keep my weight down right before the weigh-in), I wasn't wearing running shoes, and I wasn't wearing a sports bra like I usually do (sorry guys, I know it might be TMI for some of you).

Have you ever fallen out on a run? Could it be a combination of doing the 3-mile yesterday and not wearing the right gear for running today that really cost me over 2 minutes? I seriously thought I was going to do great, I didn't feel particularly tired during the run or anything, but I still went over the time limit.

I'm trying not to feel bummed about it, but I can't lie, it took the wind out of my sails. Any similar stories or just words of encouragement, poolees?

BassPro0007
09-10-10, 08:30 PM
My guess is that your body was used to running the slower pace for the three mile. If you finished the 1.5 in fifteen and the 3 in thirty then you were running the same pace. I have the same problem. I'll finish the 1.5 with a lot of energy I could have used on the run.

Rough Hands
09-10-10, 08:41 PM
My guess is that your body was used to running the slower pace for the three mile. If you finished the 1.5 in fifteen and the 3 in thirty then you were running the same pace. I have the same problem. I'll finish the 1.5 with a lot of energy I could have used on the run.

Well, I finished the 3-mile in 28:50, that should still be under 15 minutes for a 1.5 mile. Anyway, as bummed as I am over the whole thing, I'm still determined to get under 13:00 for my final IST run. Gunning for 12:30 or less.

DevilDogsSon269
09-10-10, 10:27 PM
We run 6 mile pt runs. The day after is always hell regardless of any care you give to prepare for the next days PT. Also he has you running 3 mile runs to prepare you for the PFT since the only difference is the run distance and alotted time. Besides not being prepared for the run, the mental aspect didnt set in that you have to run. You had the whole Oh WTF kind of thing going on and because of it you may have run crappier due to lack of MOTO. Dont sweat it. Just worry about passing your run when it matters the most. If you did bad this time you know next time to run faster. Good luck to you girl.

Steve018
09-10-10, 10:40 PM
I remember everyone's time was down for an IST, turns out one of the Recruiters mis-calculated the route and it was a tad bit longer. Have you ever ran the IST before btw?

Hummel
09-10-10, 11:39 PM
it can be alot of things, I'm going to guess its the lack of being prepared. I run CC and its acually smart to run the next day, we've always know it as active recovery. If you were sore that could of played in on it. make sure you run 5-6 days a week to prepare youself for boot camp. Running everyday there.

DevilDogsSon269
09-10-10, 11:46 PM
I remember everyone's time was down for an IST, turns out one of the Recruiters mis-calculated the route and it was a tad bit longer. Have you ever ran the IST before btw?

who?

DevilDogsSon269
09-11-10, 12:01 AM
it can be alot of things, I'm going to guess its the lack of being prepared. I run CC and its acually smart to run the next day, we've always know it as active recovery. If you were sore that could of played in on it. make sure you run 5-6 days a week to prepare youself for boot camp. Running everyday there.

these days the kind of running your thinking of is much different in RT. Also Active recovery helps. But knowing your level of fatigue decides on that. If your having walking trouble or stiffness, only heat can help sooth that out. Active recovery can lead to strains, pulls, and tears if you are not careful. You have to listen to what your body says. If your not used to doing something start slow and work up.

In your case, RH. You want to maximize performance with out putting your body at harm. Breath right, study your general orders or you will be sitting in invisible chairs for many many hours, listen to your body. Work out everyday but work different muscle types. Dont over work yourself.

Best thing for you to do is when working in sets do small ones. Tens twenties and thirties. Rotate work outs. When running, dont run fast paced and dont go to slow, find a center. Also Breathing is key to any aerobic excersize. Stongest and fastest runners can be blwon out of the water on endurance if the person they run against breaths. You walk more in one day than you will ever run at RT, at least on average. Just take it a bit at a time. If your under 30 days you will have to step it up but, you need to also take care.

wilsontc11
09-11-10, 12:25 AM
Yeah this has happened to me before. If you ran 3 miles the day before, that is the reason, especially if you've never run 3 miles at once before. Not being hydrated and not having the right gear for running also plays a huge part. I tried to run my mile and a half once with street shoes. It was a big difference to say the least.

Rough Hands
09-11-10, 04:19 AM
We run 6 mile pt runs. The day after is always hell regardless of any care you give to prepare for the next days PT. Also he has you running 3 mile runs to prepare you for the PFT since the only difference is the run distance and alotted time. Besides not being prepared for the run, the mental aspect didnt set in that you have to run. You had the whole Oh WTF kind of thing going on and because of it you may have run crappier due to lack of MOTO. Dont sweat it. Just worry about passing your run when it matters the most. If you did bad this time you know next time to run faster. Good luck to you girl.

Our PT isn't always as organized as I wish it was, and I'm also the only really consistent poolee that actually shows up every single Thursday, whether PT is scheduled or not. So, sometimes it's just me and a P90X video, or me and one of the Sergeants going through the MARSOC shortcard. Gunny is gonna' try to give our functions a little more structure, but it just sucks since I won't get the full benefit of it since I leave in 30 days.

I'm glad we finally ran the 3-mile; it destroyed this huge mental obstacle and made me feel a lot better about shipping so soon. I was afraid of the PFT until now, but now I know I can pass it, and I know that my scores will be better coming out of boot camp.

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Yeah, I've ran the route at least 4 times now, and I've been consistently running at 13 minutes. It was the first time I ever ran the route for the 3-mile yesterday, though.

I won't lie, for a good while I felt myself getting really intimidated and fearful of the thought of shipping to boot camp because I know I'm not a strong runner. Instead of actively doing things about it, I moped and hoped it would just get better. However, things HAVE changed, it just sucks that now that I'm actually working harder, my run times are going up and my flexed-arm hang isn't budging. It wont stop me though; I'm determined to get under 12:30, max my crunches, and get my hang up to a minute.

Rough Hands
09-11-10, 04:30 AM
these days the kind of running your thinking of is much different in RT. Also Active recovery helps. But knowing your level of fatigue decides on that. If your having walking trouble or stiffness, only heat can help sooth that out. Active recovery can lead to strains, pulls, and tears if you are not careful. You have to listen to what your body says. If your not used to doing something start slow and work up.

In your case, RH. You want to maximize performance with out putting your body at harm. Breath right, study your general orders or you will be sitting in invisible chairs for many many hours, listen to your body. Work out everyday but work different muscle types. Dont over work yourself.

Best thing for you to do is when working in sets do small ones. Tens twenties and thirties. Rotate work outs. When running, dont run fast paced and dont go to slow, find a center. Also Breathing is key to any aerobic excersize. Stongest and fastest runners can be blwon out of the water on endurance if the person they run against breaths. You walk more in one day than you will ever run at RT, at least on average. Just take it a bit at a time. If your under 30 days you will have to step it up but, you need to also take care.

I've been trying to work on my breathing; I used to cramp up and get winded, but now it's not really a problem. Now it seems that my body has worked out it's own way keeping the contractions of my diaphragm in rhythm with my footfalls - two breaths in, two breaths out. The more I thought about it, the more likely I was to cramp up. lol

I'm going to get in to the recruiting office every week day until I ship to run with my recruiter (he runs his 3-mile in 17:00). I am determined to leave here in better shape than I am now. If I had enough determination to drop 60 pounds, I know I can muster up enough to rise to this challenge too.

Yeah this has happened to me before. If you ran 3 miles the day before, that is the reason, especially if you've never run 3 miles at once before. Not being hydrated and not having the right gear for running also plays a huge part. I tried to run my mile and a half once with street shoes. It was a big difference to say the least.

Holy crap, I'm glad I'm not the only one. It makes me feel so much better that it's not just me. I figured it was probably a few things that factored in, but I'm the type of person who hates to make excuses for anything. In fact, I'm still trying to meet all the male standards because I don't want to be the kind of girl who lets her gender become an excuse for weakness.

Thanks, poolees.

ScarSniper
09-11-10, 06:32 AM
Yesterday, I went to PT with the Gunny at our office, and he had all the poolees that showed up run a 3-mile. I finished in under 30 minutes (I think 31:30 is max for females) and felt pretty good about it, considering I've never really ran a full 3-mile nor have I ever timed myself on distance runs/jogs.

Today, I went to weigh-in since I had to finish some pre-ship paperwork with my recruiter because I ship in just about 30 days. Anyhow, the minute I showed up he had us (there were two other poolees there who are shipping out the same day as I am) run a mile and a half, just for the heck of it. I was pretty unprepared for it, but when I was running I felt pretty good about it and I had even convinced myself that I was going to finish in under 13 minutes (my personal best).

However, I finished somewhere over 15 minutes, and I still don't believe it. Granted, I had barely eaten or hydrated this morning (trying to keep my weight down right before the weigh-in), I wasn't wearing running shoes, and I wasn't wearing a sports bra like I usually do (sorry guys, I know it might be TMI for some of you).

Have you ever fallen out on a run? Could it be a combination of doing the 3-mile yesterday and not wearing the right gear for running today that really cost me over 2 minutes? I seriously thought I was going to do great, I didn't feel particularly tired during the run or anything, but I still went over the time limit.

I'm trying not to feel bummed about it, but I can't lie, it took the wind out of my sails. Any similar stories or just words of encouragement, poolees?

"Words of Encouragement" There you go. I've just given you some words of encouragement. hahahahahhaha!! hahahah! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That was funny. Ok. Seriously, don't think too much about it. I believe it happens to everyone, even to someone who's as inhumanly fast as I am. And I AM inhumanly fast. lol. I remember one Saturday morning Poolee Meeting (I'm going to leave for one in a couple of minutes) when we ran...I ran like the wind...it's myself and another poolee from RS Manhattan who usually dominate the run. But anyway..that day I'd done a personal best...I went from 10:20...to 9:50 for the 1.5 (and I'm PRETTY sure the Marines make us run a little further then 1.5) and I was feeling great. You couldn't convince me that my name wasn't Usain Bolt. Anyway, that was a great day, but the poolee meeting after? 11:15!! 11:15!! Eleven. 15. I felt demotivated and crushed. It hurts to go from such an incredible speed and then for seemingly no reason just DROP. But the point is that it happens to a lot of people, for various reasons. You just ran a 3 mile PFT, and then you ran without water and few people can run without running shoes. I'm not giving you excuses but what I am saying is that it doesn't mean you're losing your bearing on the run, and it doesn't mean you're always going to be that slow. It was a bad day. It happens. You can slum about it or you can realize that you're better then that and you'll do better then your previous BEST next time. Just always stretch, and you know what? Get out your comfort zone. I don't run with running sneakers. Ever. I've never tried. I've ran in everything from converses to my usual Air Force Ones. In spare time, run in a way you're unaccustomed to running, so if there comes a time where nothing is perfect for when you have to run, you'll be prepared for it. Don't sweat it. Oh, and after that 11? I messed up AGAIN and only got back down to 10 something, not my usual speed. But then I found my pace again and I'm back in the 9's edging closer to the eights every day. Don't get demotivated, you'll do fine. Just remember that everyone has a bad day. And now i'm off to my saturday morning Poolee meeting.

PS. It's 9/11. Let us NEVER Forget.

PPS. My recruiting station is literally about 2 blocks from ground zero. I'll be paying my respects today.

DevilDogsSon269
09-11-10, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the encouragement. :)

I won't lie, for a good while I felt myself getting really intimidated and fearful of the thought of shipping to boot camp because I know I'm not a strong runner. Instead of actively doing things about it, I moped and hoped it would just get better. However, things HAVE changed, it just sucks that now that I'm actually working harder, my run times are going up and my flexed-arm hang isn't budging. It wont stop me though; I'm determined to get under 12:30, max my crunches, and get my hang up to a minute.

Of course!

As far as P90X. My cousin is a body builder and says that the workouts in the videos are great but the intensity of the workouts can be dangerous for muscle injury. I dont remember why he said that but, perhaps for your case try finding something to supplement it as a replacement.

As far as your intimidation, Boot Camp is scary. On the other hand you will look back on it and smile. The PFT looks hard for anyone who isnt a strong runner. Just work at that and work at getting better at your flexed arm hang. In general focus on working towards the important things. Run, Sit Ups, Flexed/Pullups, Push Ups etc. Keep it up. Fear is a factor that motivation can defeat.

Steve018
09-11-10, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I've ran the route at least 4 times now, and I've been consistently running at 13 minutes. It was the first time I ever ran the route for the 3-mile yesterday, though.

Ok, well since you ran it before it wont be to bad, just keep at it and dont lose you're motovation!:)

Steve018
09-11-10, 12:25 PM
Of course!

As far as P90X. My cousin is a body builder and says that the workouts in the videos are great but the intensity of the workouts can be dangerous for muscle injury. I dont remember why he said that but, perhaps for your case try finding something to supplement it as a replacement.

P90X does has some dangerous workouts in there, some that normally would require a spot are just done without one, its pretty good though, just crazy expensive. Sorry for the double post btw.

pattchan
09-11-10, 01:40 PM
offtopic
all my recruiters just quitted smoking/drinking and gonna try p90x for 90 days and if they dont see improvement theyll go back XD

Rough Hands
09-11-10, 03:37 PM
"Words of Encouragement" There you go. I've just given you some words of encouragement. hahahahahhaha!! hahahah! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That was funny. Ok. Seriously, don't think too much about it. I believe it happens to everyone, even to someone who's as inhumanly fast as I am. And I AM inhumanly fast. lol. I remember one Saturday morning Poolee Meeting (I'm going to leave for one in a couple of minutes) when we ran...I ran like the wind...it's myself and another poolee from RS Manhattan who usually dominate the run. But anyway..that day I'd done a personal best...I went from 10:20...to 9:50 for the 1.5 (and I'm PRETTY sure the Marines make us run a little further then 1.5) and I was feeling great. You couldn't convince me that my name wasn't Usain Bolt. Anyway, that was a great day, but the poolee meeting after? 11:15!! 11:15!! Eleven. 15. I felt demotivated and crushed. It hurts to go from such an incredible speed and then for seemingly no reason just DROP. But the point is that it happens to a lot of people, for various reasons. You just ran a 3 mile PFT, and then you ran without water and few people can run without running shoes. I'm not giving you excuses but what I am saying is that it doesn't mean you're losing your bearing on the run, and it doesn't mean you're always going to be that slow. It was a bad day. It happens. You can slum about it or you can realize that you're better then that and you'll do better then your previous BEST next time. Just always stretch, and you know what? Get out your comfort zone. I don't run with running sneakers. Ever. I've never tried. I've ran in everything from converses to my usual Air Force Ones. In spare time, run in a way you're unaccustomed to running, so if there comes a time where nothing is perfect for when you have to run, you'll be prepared for it. Don't sweat it. Oh, and after that 11? I messed up AGAIN and only got back down to 10 something, not my usual speed. But then I found my pace again and I'm back in the 9's edging closer to the eights every day. Don't get demotivated, you'll do fine. Just remember that everyone has a bad day. And now i'm off to my saturday morning Poolee meeting.

PS. It's 9/11. Let us NEVER Forget.

PPS. My recruiting station is literally about 2 blocks from ground zero. I'll be paying my respects today.

Good to know it's not just the caboose having bad run days. Instead of letting it get me down, I'm going to try and harness it and use it as motivation, fuel for the fire, to work harder next time. I'm never gonna' fall out on a run again. Thanks, poolee, and I hope you make this Patriot Day a good one.

Of course!

As far as your intimidation, Boot Camp is scary. On the other hand you will look back on it and smile. The PFT looks hard for anyone who isnt a strong runner. Just work at that and work at getting better at your flexed arm hang. In general focus on working towards the important things. Run, Sit Ups, Flexed/Pullups, Push Ups etc. Keep it up. Fear is a factor that motivation can defeat.

We usually just do the Kenpo X or Ab Ripper X, since they don't require any equipment. I tried P90X myself for about a month before my work schedule got in the way of doing it, and it was good, but I guess I didn't spend enough time on it to really get anything out of it.

Off and on, I still find myself getting scared about shipping, but I just keep reminding myself that it's all mental and if I keep that in mind, I'll do just fine. I'm going to work on my run, no doubt, but I'm really going to try to improve my hang and the crunches, 'cause those are the easier points on the PFT. I'm going to stay moto, and I'm not going to let fear get the best of me.

offtopic
all my recruiters just quitted smoking/drinking and gonna try p90x for 90 days and if they dont see improvement theyll go back XD

If they actually stick to it, you're going to have some awfully ripped and beastly recruiters. Good luck!

On a day like today, it helps to think of all the recruits and Marines who've gone before me, and all the Marines who have fought and made sacrifices on behalf of our country in the War on Terrorism and in previous conflicts. I wish you all a fantastic Patriot Day, poolees. Never forget.

:iwo:

ScarSniper
09-11-10, 06:59 PM
:mad::evilgrin:

Funny how the world works. Just today, I was telling a poolee not to worry about the run, that sometimes you don't do as good as you usually do. And what happened to me today!?!? THIRTEEN PULL-UPS!! 13! I was at 18!! But I only did thirteen!! It's all mental, but I'm still angry. But to hell with it, I'm GLAD I'm not shipping out this Monday, but next Monday instead. It gives me an entire week to KILL myself physically for SUCKING so much. I slacked. Got complacent last week and decided I didn't need to hit the gym as much and these are the results. No Matter. I'll be back to 18 and then 20 in NO time. All week, starting Monday, I will be at the gym, just pulling and lifting. I'm going to PUSH, push, and push like a @1#$& with a stroller until my punk, disgusting, wussy a5s muscles never fail me again. Then after the gym, every day i'm going over to Battery Park and i'm going to do dive-bombers, push-ups, insane amounts of lunges, and every other doggone thing I can do until I feel like a damned man again. Hell. 13 pull-ups? I'm gonna use this FAILURE as fuel to push myself mentally this final week before I ship out to bootcamp. To HELL with this doggone punk pu5sy crap (Excuse my profanity, but, and maybe this is the adrenaline speaking, if bad words offend you, what the HELL are you doing joining the Marine Corps?) I'm so angry at myself...but I'll DEFINITELY make it up this week. :mad:

DevilDogsSon269
09-11-10, 07:55 PM

Funny how the world works. Just today, I was telling a poolee not to worry about the run, that sometimes you don't do as good as you usually do. And what happened to me today!?!? THIRTEEN PULL-UPS!! 13! I was at 18!! But I only did thirteen!! It's all mental, but I'm still angry. But to hell with it, I'm GLAD I'm not shipping out this Monday, but next Monday instead. It gives me an entire week to KILL myself physically for SUCKING so much. I slacked. Got complacent last week and decided I didn't need to hit the gym as much and these are the results. No Matter. I'll be back to 18 and then 20 in NO time. All week, starting Monday, I will be at the gym, just pulling and lifting. I'm going to PUSH, push, and push like a @1#$& with a stroller until my punk, disgusting, wussy a5s muscles never fail me again. Then after the gym, every day i'm going over to Battery Park and i'm going to do dive-bombers, push-ups, insane amounts of lunges, and every other doggone thing I can do until I feel like a damned man again. Hell. 13 pull-ups? I'm gonna use this FAILURE as fuel to push myself mentally this final week before I ship out to bootcamp. To HELL with this doggone punk pu5sy crap (Excuse my profanity, but, and maybe this is the adrenaline speaking, if bad words offend you, what the HELL are you doing joining the Marine Corps?) I'm so angry at myself...but I'll DEFINITELY make it up this week. :mad:
read your poolee work out guide. YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO WORK OUT THE WEEK PRIOR TO SHIPPING.

ScarSniper
09-11-10, 08:02 PM
read your poolee work out guide. YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO WORK OUT THE WEEK PRIOR TO SHIPPING.

Sorry. I must have missed that. I didn't take "how to follow a poolee guide book and be a pus5y" back in high-school. If it were a problem, Gunnery Sergeant would let me know. That poolee workout guide is for sissies. I'm happy with getting my body slayed by one of my favorite Marine who's a black-belt. Nobody ever got anywhere by playing it safe, Mr DevildogsSon. Take that 5hit to the Army. lol

Rough Hands
09-11-10, 08:03 PM

Hey, man, I know you're angry, and so was I, but you've got only one week to allow your body to recover before you'll be in 3 months of pain. The more you work it now, the more prone to injury you'll probably be, and the last thing you need is to hurt yourself right before you ship.

Take it easy, at least a little bit.

ScarSniper
09-11-10, 08:12 PM
Hey, man, I know you're angry, and so was I, but you've got only one week to allow your body to recover before you'll be in 3 months of pain. The more you work it now, the more prone to injury you'll probably be, and the last thing you need is to hurt yourself right before you ship.

Take it easy, at least a little bit.

lol. What's with people telling me to take it easy? I don't get it. It's like..why? At bootcamp we wont get a chance to take it easy. Recruiters are SOFT on us..they're the real deal, sure, but Drill Instructors don't have our interest at heart...they have the MARINE CORPS interests in mind. They don't want sissy-poo b!tchgobblers to graduate. The way I see it, the faster I get used to it here, the better i'll do over there, where hell is a living, breathing demon in your face screaming in your ears. If I break here, this week, it only means I would've broken over there...so lets get it over with. My body's not in pain and really, there's nothing to recover. I'm not working out at all tomorrow. I'm going to start on Monday and kill myself until Inspect. I'll probably rest Saturday and Sunday (unless there's another Poolee meeting) but I'll definitely get my 8 hours of sleep every night. Still, the way I see it, the week before bootcamp is the time to get really prepared. And 13 pull-ups from 18 is not my body telling me I'm ready.

Rough Hands
09-11-10, 09:43 PM
lol. What's with people telling me to take it easy? I don't get it. It's like..why? At bootcamp we wont get a chance to take it easy. Recruiters are SOFT on us..they're the real deal, sure, but Drill Instructors don't have our interest at heart...they have the MARINE CORPS interests in mind. They don't want sissy-poo b!tchgobblers to graduate. The way I see it, the faster I get used to it here, the better i'll do over there, where hell is a living, breathing demon in your face screaming in your ears. If I break here, this week, it only means I would've broken over there...so lets get it over with. My body's not in pain and really, there's nothing to recover. I'm not working out at all tomorrow. I'm going to start on Monday and kill myself until Inspect. I'll probably rest Saturday and Sunday (unless there's another Poolee meeting) but I'll definitely get my 8 hours of sleep every night. Still, the way I see it, the week before bootcamp is the time to get really prepared. And 13 pull-ups from 18 is not my body telling me I'm ready.

You make a good point, but the like I said, the last thing you wanna do right before you get down there is hurt yourself or something. As long as you're giving yourself proper periods of rest, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Stay motivated. :)

DevilDogsSon269
09-12-10, 01:55 PM
ScarSniper quit acting like a douche bag. No offense but your being an ego tistical air head and rude. If your gonna act like a **** bird the get off the post. No one was being rude. I dont follow the workouts in the guide but at least I wont be *****ing out at boot camp because I hurt my whatever and it hurts boohoo. You wont be talking all that **** when you puss out because you didnt listen. YOU NEED TO REST. You have a bad mind set about where your going and all your doing is venting out some bs you heard. I dont know how "soft" your recruiter is but not all recruiters are the same. If you think they are soft then maybe just maybe youll make it, but watch your damn mouth and STFU your not getting anywhere fast with that attitude and your gonne get your ass ripped a new one by acting like that. Just chill out is all and talk right, treat your recruiter with respect. they go easy on us because they could break us and they know it. Your excited I get that, but keep in mind your future and your health.

wilsontc11
09-12-10, 02:29 PM
Scarsniper, I know what you mean man. I've gotten a 11:30 run time (not that great, I know. but its improvement) before... now all of the sudden I struggle to get below 12:00 like right before I ship. its so stupid, guess I just need to work on it more. and what the others said, you want to prepare yourself, but what good are you going to be to the Marine Corps if you get injured? Push yourself, but dont push yourself to injury

ScarSniper
09-12-10, 02:42 PM
ScarSniper quit acting like a douche bag. No offense but your being an ego tistical air head and rude. If your gonna act like a **** bird the get off the post. No one was being rude. I dont follow the workouts in the guide but at least I wont be *****ing out at boot camp because I hurt my whatever and it hurts boohoo. You wont be talking all that **** when you puss out because you didnt listen. YOU NEED TO REST. You have a bad mind set about where your going and all your doing is venting out some bs you heard. I dont know how "soft" your recruiter is but not all recruiters are the same. If you think they are soft then maybe just maybe youll make it, but watch your damn mouth and STFU your not getting anywhere fast with that attitude and your gonne get your ass ripped a new one by acting like that. Just chill out is all and talk right, treat your recruiter with respect. they go easy on us because they could break us and they know it. Your excited I get that, but keep in mind your future and your health.

Wow. And I was being rude? First of all, I never called any of my recruiters soft. I remember typing that I like getting my body slayed by one of the recruiters at my recruiting station who's a black-belt. You point out exactly where I disrespected my recruiter and I'll call you a by-the-book lying queer, if you want to really dog it out. That being said? Don't worry about my body. Don't worry about me getting rest, I know when my body needs to rest and will rest accordingly. Beyond that? Telling me to shut the phuck up and the lot? That doesn't fly. You watch your mouth because I don't give a rat's ass if your father was or is a Marine. He, I'll show respect, YOU on the other hand are just some punk ass poolee who lives under daddy's shadow until you prove yourself. I didn't disrespect you, when I replied, I spoke my mind, but not against you, you're the one in need of an attitude adjustment. You come to boot-camp with me and see who will prevail, the PANSY a5s recruit (YOU) who rests everytime the rulebook tells him to and every time his itty bitty wittle finger needs a band-aid or the one who fights through the pain. YOU take your last week to rest and twiddle your thumbs..I will rest. Like I said. I will also work out, the way i've been doing, only harder. If my recruiter tells me not to work out for the next week? I'll gladly oblige, but I'm definitely not going to listen to some pan5y ass poolee who feels justified to tell people to shut the phuck up because daddy's a Marine. Who the phuck are you? A Moderator? Don't worry about me. As a Marine once told me, "Don't let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird as5." YOU'RE not a drill instructor, nor a Marine, so watch who YOU talk to because with YOUR attitude, you're going to talk to someone who's NOT joining the Marines and has nothing to lose who will slap the taste from your mouth. And thank you so very much for your concern about my health, I will take it into consideration. I'm not going to reply to you anymore because this IS a Marine thread and it wasn't my intention to start a drama on it. Good luck to you.

ScarSniper
09-12-10, 03:01 PM
Scarsniper, I know what you mean man. I've gotten a 11:30 run time (not that great, I know. but its improvement) before... now all of the sudden I struggle to get below 12:00 like right before I ship. its so stupid, guess I just need to work on it more. and what the others said, you want to prepare yourself, but what good are you going to be to the Marine Corps if you get injured? Push yourself, but dont push yourself to injury

I know man, I just got really frustrated about the fact that I only did 13 pull-ups. It happens though, i'm going to work hard this week. I do plan on getting rest of course. 8 hours of sleep every night, and like I said, I wont be working out at all during the weekend. I've been waiting a while for the opportunity to prove myself at bootcamp, and I wont be pushing myself to the point of injury. Basically, I hit the gym at 8AM....work out until around 10AM...hang out at the recruiting station and chill out with the other poolees until around 12 pm, then hit the gym again until around 2 or 3.. from there, do a little 1.5 run, to the field where we do our poolee functions and do Marine Corps workouts for another 1/2hour to an hour..get protein in my system, and I'm done for the day around 4pm or 1600, if you prefer. With the intake of protein and carbs to my system and 8 hours of sleep (sometimes less when I have to work) If I don't work out Saturday and Sunday, all soreness I feel has usually dissipated by Monday. I know I'm no good to the Marine Corps injured, but I won't injure myself.

Also, with the run? Running is unpredictable. lol. It happens to us all. We go up, and we go down. When it's time to put out and show what you're made of you'll do fine, probably better then your last runtime.

DevilDogsSon269
09-12-10, 10:05 PM
So go ****ing whine to some one else. You really are a ****ing peice of work. My father has nothing to do with me, you have an attitude and personality problem. You need to learn to shut your mouth and watch yourself you mouth off to politeness and then you get bitterness in return. You arent a Marine either, and before you act like some high and mighty poolee, come PT with Tallahassee one day you **** bag. You have no idea. You put yourself on some level like your a god figure, your dirt just like I am, and I wasnt saying I play "by the book" I was making a wise suggestion. Dont level yourself above others before you try what it is your getting into. My suggestion to you now is quit while your ahead, with retaliations the way you throw them your going to end up with mine or some one elses boot in your ass. I know my physical limits and im not some ego driven **** tard. You better learn to interpret peoples meanings before starting battles.

Rough Hands
09-12-10, 10:18 PM
Now, now, guys. No need to bicker - I don't believe any rudeness was initially intended from either party, so let's leave it at that. We're all gonna' have to figure out a way to be civil and not just jump at each other at every time we feel disrespected.

Brothers and sisters gotta' look out for one another, not bite each others heads off at every opportunity they get.

pattchan
09-12-10, 10:40 PM
he just sounds motivated. id probably be on the same mentality as him before i ship out. fvck i look forward to every pt right now. gotta get ready to be a badass Marine :D

Steve018
09-12-10, 10:42 PM
Cut it out guys. Cussing each other out wont solve jack. Scarsniper, take other peoples suggestions without so much hostility, you're just as worthless as the rest of us poolee's, remember, to the DI's, all recruits are the same. DevilDogsSon, no need for the chew out, he doesnt need to be talked down to like an animal.

tblake87
09-12-10, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I've noticed some changes once in a while in my performance as well. One day I'll be able to knock out 10-12 pullups and others I might only be able to get 7, same goes for the running. I'll run a 7:30 miles on some days and barely be able to crank out a 9 minute mile others. I think it's mainly because I'm inconsistent on my workout times.

I notice when I do a fasted run(right after I wake up), I tend to not have as much energy as opposed to later in the afternoon when I've loaded up on Carbs throughout the day.

Also, another thing I noticed during my times even before DEP when weight lifting is that if you try to train a body part 2 days in a row(chest/biceps, w/e) is the second day, strength drops about 30%(in my case). Day 1 I will be able to bench 185 5rep and if I try to do it the very next day, I would be lucky to pump out 160 for 5 reps. You have to give your muscles time to recover after a workout. I can only assume the same would go with endurance exercises as well(running,swimming, etc), even though you aren't necessarily breaking down a large amount of muscle fibers like during resistance training, you still need to give you body adequate time to recover.

A lot of people starting a new fitness routine tend to do too much, too fast, and end up overtraining and getting discouraged when they see little improvement because they aren't giving their body enough time to recover. Personally that's why I don't ever run more than two days in a row and always allow at least 1 day of recovery in between resistance training.

DevilDogsSon269
09-12-10, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I've noticed some changes once in a while in my performance as well. One day I'll be able to knock out 10-12 pullups and others I might only be able to get 7, same goes for the running. I'll run a 7:30 miles on some days and barely be able to crank out a 9 minute mile others. I think it's mainly because I'm inconsistent on my workout times.

I notice when I do a fasted run(right after I wake up), I tend to not have as much energy as opposed to later in the afternoon when I've loaded up on Carbs throughout the day.

Also, another thing I noticed during my times even before DEP when weight lifting is that if you try to train a body part 2 days in a row(chest/biceps, w/e) is the second day, strength drops about 30%(in my case). Day 1 I will be able to bench 185 5rep and if I try to do it the very next day, I would be lucky to pump out 160 for 5 reps. You have to give your muscles time to recover after a workout. I can only assume the same would go with endurance exercises as well(running,swimming, etc), even though you aren't necessarily breaking down a large amount of muscle fibers like during resistance training, you still need to give you body adequate time to recover.

A lot of people starting a new fitness routine tend to do too much, too fast, and end up overtraining and getting discouraged when they see little improvement because they aren't giving their body enough time to recover. Personally that's why I don't ever run more than two days in a row and always allow at least 1 day of recovery in between resistance training.

You gotta work different muscles everyday. If you dont you may injure yourself. While Sgt Richardson(recruiter at our RS who runs PT) says best thing for fatigue is more training, he does inquire work the ones that are sore less and the core of your work out should be another muscle set. The light work out will take the pain and burn out of the muscles on following days making workouts more efficient and more effective.

DevilDogsSon269
09-12-10, 11:44 PM
Now, now, guys. No need to bicker - I don't believe any rudeness was initially intended from either party, so let's leave it at that. We're all gonna' have to figure out a way to be civil and not just jump at each other at every time we feel disrespected.

Brothers and sisters gotta' look out for one another, not bite each others heads off at every opportunity they get.

I agree, and apologize for feeding fires on your post. I dont take well to other people snapping at me over nothing. Yeah its gonna happen regardless(Marine Corps duh!) but there is a point to that and the DIs are trying to build Marines nothing more.

DevilDogsSon269
09-12-10, 11:51 PM
Cut it out guys. Cussing each other out wont solve jack. Scarsniper, take other peoples suggestions without so much hostility, you're just as worthless as the rest of us poolee's, remember, to the DI's, all recruits are the same. DevilDogsSon, no need for the chew out, he doesnt need to be talked down to like an animal.

Before you say Im talking down to some one try reading what he wrote as well. By far different tones. I wasnt talking down to him until he played that game.

FOR EVERYONE WHO READS THIS FORUM POST!
TONE IS LOST IN WRITING OVER THE INTERNET. LIGHTEN UP, BE CIVIL AND RESPECTFUL. ****ING CONTESTS ONLINE ARE POINTLESS, AND ONLY DESTROYS COMRADERE. LETS GET ALONG, SUCK UP WHAT WE THINK MAY BE OFFENSIVE AND IF IT MUST BE ADDRESSED, DO IT OFF THE POST IN A PM OR DO IT POLITELY. THIS ARGUEMENT ME AND SCARSNIPER HAD WAS POINTLESS AND THE POINT WAS LOST WHEN WORD WERE TAKEN WRONGLY. THIS IS A GOOD EXAMPLE OF WHAT NOT TO DO.

Scar, sorry for acting like a jack ass, good luck to you man. I was just giving advice. The workout book isnt what I work from. I use many sources as guides to help me build my own system. My father and myself are two different people. He was a good Marine, but his shadow doesnt cast over me. I meant nothing that I said and I am sorry for being so rude. We lose our footing before we even ship and what will we do in the fleet? Good luck, stay safe, keep in touch and see you on the otherside.

ScarSniper
09-13-10, 05:48 AM

That's weird. Maybe it's because I'm fairly new to PT (only been doing it for about 6 months) but when I lift, I can usually do the same amount of repetitions with the same weights the very next day, and sometimes I'll finally go up in weight, (5 lbs or 15 lbs, depending on machine or weights) Maybe it's because my body is still adjusting to the idea of PT. I mean, recovery time is essential (I may not be working my calves today because they're so sore I feel like an octogenarian) but I usually do resistance training 5 days a week from Monday to Friday (if there's a poolee meeting on saturday, I rest on Friday) I think perhaps everyone's body is different. I never got discouraged when I entered the gym because I felt and began to see results almost immediately. I dunno. I just feel like one should be working out almost everyday.

Steve018
09-13-10, 01:35 PM
Before you say Im talking down to some one try reading what he wrote as well. By far different tones. I wasnt talking down to him until he played that game.

FOR EVERYONE WHO READS THIS FORUM POST!
TONE IS LOST IN WRITING OVER THE INTERNET. LIGHTEN UP, BE CIVIL AND RESPECTFUL. ****ING CONTESTS ONLINE ARE POINTLESS, AND ONLY DESTROYS COMRADERE. LETS GET ALONG, SUCK UP WHAT WE THINK MAY BE OFFENSIVE AND IF IT MUST BE ADDRESSED, DO IT OFF THE POST IN A PM OR DO IT POLITELY. THIS ARGUEMENT ME AND SCARSNIPER HAD WAS POINTLESS AND THE POINT WAS LOST WHEN WORD WERE TAKEN WRONGLY. THIS IS A GOOD EXAMPLE OF WHAT NOT TO DO.

Thats why I hate talking over the internet, one friendly sarcastic remark can turn into a blood bath

DevilDogsSon269
09-13-10, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean. We all need to get level headed and get the right mind. Softness wont work in the Marines, you have to address something and move on or suck it up brush it off and keep going. We all need to grow up mentally a bit and get that mindset we all should have before shipping. Thanks to parents and society many of us have become soft and we whine or sue people over dumb ****. Not trying to say no one our age isnt hard, had it hard or was raised like their parents but many of us have been babied. Makes it harder for us to find ourselves the right mind. Gotta just move one and take care of your fellow Marines and family. See you all on the otherside!