PDA

View Full Version : 83 Year Old Marine fought off intruder

USNAviator
09-08-10, 05:35 PM
An 83-year-old World War II veteran fought off a man who had broken into his home and attacked the former Marine with a glass candlestick and his fists, Yarmouth police said yesterday.

The victim, who was not identified, was watching television in his living room on South Street on Monday evening when the suspect broke in about 8:30, Yarmouth police said.

As he was being attacked, the homeowner shouted, which alerted his wife, police said. The woman, who was upstairs, called authorities, but the suspect fled when the retiree fought back, police said.

“I’m very proud of this man,’’ said Lieutenant Detective Steven Xiarhos, Yarmouth police spokesman.

“He’s 83, a US Marine veteran, and he got the best of a 19-year-old punk.’’

Yarmouth and State Police flooded the neighborhood, and Trooper Steven Culver spotted a man walking in the area who matched the description of the attacker, police said.

The suspect was “soaking wet and had fresh blood on his white T-shirt and cuts on his hands, and was found to have property stolen from the home,’’ police said in a statement.

Marine84
09-08-10, 05:45 PM
I saw that on the morning show that I have going while I get dressed in the morning. Before they go to a commercial, you know they always tell you what stories are coming next. When they did that, first thought that went through my head was "I bet it's a Marine".................lo and behold - he turned out to be a Marine! OOHRAH for him! Hope I can still swing my bat at 83.

sscjoe
09-08-10, 06:06 PM
My Dad's not a Marine, but he's a WWII vet and one of Americas Greatest Generation. I always tell him to lock his doors and he says, if anyone breaks in here they will know they have been in a fight.

USNAviator
09-08-10, 06:44 PM
My Dad's not a Marine, but he's a WWII vet and one of Americas Greatest Generation. I always tell him to lock his doors and he says, if anyone breaks in here they will know they have been in a fight.

Joe, I was actually thinking about your Dad when I read the article.......:thumbup:

sscjoe
09-08-10, 07:53 PM
Thanks for thinking of Dad, Dan. He's at a reunion for the USS. Valley Forge(CVN?) in Mass. now.

1stRad2671
09-08-10, 08:21 PM
I like this version better.

NECN: Scot Yount, Yarmouth, Mass.) - An elderly Marine fought off an alleged home invader on Cape Cod. Police say the intruder broke in the Yarmouth home last night, then allegedly attacked the Marine before fleeing.

The call came in from the posh Bass River area of South Yarmouth from this home right on the water.

The man who had been attacked here did not want to speak with reporters but according to police he had been watching TV when this man entered the house and tried to rob him.

The 83-year-old homeowner fought back. First responders said the house looked like a bomb had gone off when they arrived.

A short distance away they arrested the dazed suspect, 19-year-old Alan Menchin of South Dennis whom they said was known to police.

Police said the homeowner and his wife would be OK.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-08-10, 11:40 PM
"Known to police"....meaning he's a local piece of filth that's been arrested multiple times and is likely on parole/probation for some other felony he committed.

This, to me, is a sad story.

????? You ask?

Had said Former Marine been armed with a .45, it would have had a happy ending.

Wyoming
09-09-10, 07:49 AM
First responders said the house looked like a bomb had gone off when they arrived.

Had said Former Marine been armed with a .45, it would have had a happy ending.

... and most prolly a lot less messier.

jetdawgg
09-09-10, 01:27 PM
http://www.necn.com/09/07/10/Police-WWII-Marine-fights-off-home-intru/landing.html?blockID=306153&feedID=4206

NoRemorse
09-09-10, 01:31 PM
... and most prolly a lot less messier.

Coulda been worse...

He could have gotten to his ka-bar.

clansman5
09-09-10, 01:42 PM
Hey Joe...He doesn't live in Newburgh does he?..lol

sscjoe
09-09-10, 04:57 PM
Hey Joe...He doesn't live in Newburgh does he?..lol
He's still in Wallkill but every now and then you hear of Newburgh skells doing home invasions in the area...

Jarheadtanker
09-09-10, 05:18 PM
OOH RAH Good for him!

USNAviator
09-09-10, 07:03 PM
Thanks for thinking of Dad, Dan. He's at a reunion for the USS. Valley Forge(CVN?) in Mass. now.

Joe

I think it's great that your Dad can get around the way that he does, more power to him!!

The Valley Forge (CV45)was a great old ship,,it was awarded 17 battle stars, nine for it's service during Viet Nam

USNAviator
09-09-10, 08:26 PM
http://www.necn.com/09/07/10/Police-WWII-Marine-fights-off-home-intru/landing.html?blockID=306153&feedID=4206

Michael

Thanks for the video link, all I had was the report a friend sent to me.

Can't believe this "know to police" POS is only being held on $10K bail.

jetdawgg
09-09-10, 08:52 PM
Michael

Thanks for the video link, all I had was the report a friend sent to me.

Can't believe this "know to police" POS is only being held on $10K bail.

No worries. I was outraged by that bail amount also. The Marine should have shot him:usmc::mad: