PDA

View Full Version : Life after the Marines

Chad Leddy
09-08-10, 11:29 AM
So, it has been 4 years since I left the Marine Corps, and I find myself missing it more and more. I don't miss the people who were absolutely negative and just overly pushy for no reason, but I miss living out in the field, I miss the action, I miss the danger, I miss the adventure.

If you're in the same boat as me, what kind of things do you do to fill that void?

devilbones
09-08-10, 12:08 PM
Go back in the reserves. I have been out since 2003 and miss it every day.

JeffG
09-08-10, 12:19 PM
I'm in the same boat. I've been out 10 yrs and it gets worse every year. I am lost out here and the Corps is my home...I would go back in a heart beat, but my cutoff is this Jan. (too old) and I can't get in shape physically and financially by then.

FistFu68
09-08-10, 12:21 PM
:evilgrin: I do Drive Byes in Az...I shoot Illegals in tha back of tha Head...puts Me back in tha PHOENIX PROGRAM :marine: :iwo:

Wyoming
09-08-10, 12:26 PM
I'm in the same boat. I've been out 10 yrs and it gets worse every year. I am lost out here and the Corps is my home...I would go back in a heart beat, but my cutoff is this Jan. (too old) and I can't get in shape physically and financially by then.

You can do a lot of things in 4 months.

Don't look back on this lost opportunity in 10 more years.

Wyoming
09-08-10, 12:27 PM
:evilgrin: I do Drive Byes in Az...I shoot Illegals in tha back of tha Head...puts Me back in tha PHOENIX PROGRAM :marine: :iwo:

Too quick a death Jack. They gotta squirm and suffer.

doc h fmf
09-08-10, 02:43 PM
I BEEN OUT 18yrs,BUT I JOINED LEATHERNECK>COM AND CHAT WITH ALL MY BUDDIES HERE. I WISH I COULD GO BACK BUT A FEW MEDICAL PROBLEMS AND 47yo. SO THIS IS THE NEXT BEST THING ORAH,

SEMPER FI MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS<

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Kegler300
09-08-10, 02:47 PM
Life after the Marine Corps for me is good. (;

FistFu68
09-08-10, 03:06 PM
:evilgrin: I use Sub-Sonic Ammo(lmao):D But I do miss The USMC very much not tha Bad Times but the Smile on My Comrades Faces...S/F That :iwo:

brian0351
09-08-10, 03:31 PM
I've been contracting in the Middle East for 5 years now. I'm not in the military and I miss the uniform...BUT...I don't get messed with by SNCOs or officers.

tdrt
09-08-10, 03:36 PM
Chad -- can't fill the void. Go Reserves if you have to get back a small taste...

Jeff -- Get your ass back in shape. Like Al said, you can accomplish a lot in 4 months! Start now. (just how fat did you get? LOL)

Chad Leddy
09-08-10, 03:57 PM
Everything I've read online about getting back in seems like it is the most stressful process.

Also, how do MOS's work for reserves?

Marine84
09-08-10, 05:52 PM

For some reason I believe this! I don't think I've ever laughed more at anything you've said Jack - that's just funny as hell, I don't care who you are!

(Oh! You owe me a laptop! LOL!)

MasterGunsmith
09-08-10, 06:06 PM
You need to decide if you want to go back bad enough. There is all the down time too remember? You still have a chance to go back in. I wish I could go. too old 38 and fatbody from the PTSD meds. Gained 40 pounds in 4 months on the meds. But don't worry about as much. Look at the pole bro! 96% say we would go back in and do it all over again. What other lifestyle or job has that high of a percentage? NONE.. The civilian worl is full of buddies helping buddies with promotions awards, lard asses who sleep on the job and get promoted/awards, fraternization with supervisors. You sweat and bust ass and get nothing. Go back in. It sucks out here..........

Backhaus 1103
09-08-10, 06:39 PM
Look at the pole bro! 96% say we would go back in and do it all over again. What other lifestyle or job has that high of a percentage? NONE.. The civilian worl is full of buddies helping buddies with promotions awards, lard asses who sleep on the job and get promoted/awards, fraternization with supervisors. You sweat and bust ass and get nothing. Go back in. It sucks out here..........

I'm just gonna throw this out there and say it. All that happens in the Marine Corps. I see it all the time....and by no means is this site a good place to get a poll because no one that dislikes it would take there free time to talk about sh!t they didn't like.
By the way, I'm probably going to reenlist.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-08-10, 11:33 PM
I'm a BTDT 'got the t-shirt' re-tread. After being out almost 10 years I reenlisted (and left a good cop job to do it). Never regretted it for a minute...but it wasn't easy.

Bottom line, if THAT is what you want to do...then DO it. Don't fiddle around, because eventually, it'll be too late.

Chad Leddy
09-13-10, 01:49 PM
Can anyone answer the thing about the MOS. If I were to return to the reserves, how would my MOS carry out to that? I was a 4641, combat photographer.

jetdawgg
09-13-10, 02:27 PM
@Chad Leddy

Start your own business:usmc:

MarBar76
09-23-10, 09:46 PM
Was in for 10. Joined the Army for 10 more. 5yrs in I was still saying
"Thats not the way we do it"

JoExpat762
09-24-10, 12:01 AM
Same as Brian0351..

Apply for Contracts overseas , if you have O3 Background specifically ...lot's PMC's (Private Military Corporations)... I've working overseas since November 2001' .. started in Qatar,Kuwait,Iraq, now in Afghanistan.

Brian0351 who you with ? , I know SOC,Aegis,TC picked up big contracts there in Basra. I did a stint on WPPS with Dyn.

Take Care Watch your 6 !