PDA

View Full Version : Will swimming and Biking help me

luis2787
09-07-10, 02:37 PM
cut down my mile and half run cause right now i am running a 15 min mile and half which is horrible but i just started running cause i just enlisted. but the real question is will swimming and biking give me the cardio to run a faster time? no mater hard i push myself i am getting the same time so please give me advice thank you. :confused:

the802
09-07-10, 02:44 PM
Maybe to an extent, but the best way to bring your time down is simply by running... show some dedication...

Tony Fleri
09-07-10, 02:52 PM
cut down my mile and half run cause right now i am running a 15 min mile and half which is horrible but i just started running cause i just enlisted. but the real question is will swimming and biking give me the cardio to run a faster time? no mater hard i push myself i am getting the same time so please give me advice thank you. :confused:

The best answer to that would be NO...I swam and played water polo at my school and some of the best players/swimmers on the team suck at running and cant do it to save their lives. Also ive never seen it help me. The only way to improve on running would be simply to run...sorry no way around it. Swimming builds stronger legs along with biking but wont really effect running because its different motions/muscle groups

Rough Hands
09-07-10, 03:11 PM
No need for the condescending attitude, 802...

Anyhow, to answer your question, other forms of cardio (like biking and swimming) will help you with your lung capacity, heart rate and endurance, so it's not a bad idea to give them a try, but to get better at running, you have to run. I know, it sucks. I hate running, but that's because I'm not the strongest runner.

Now, I've "ran" a consistent 13-13:30 mile and half for the last two months; that was after never actually running that distance in my life, and not being able to run a full lap around a track in high school. Are you stopping intermittently and/or walking?

I had to drop about 60 pounds before I even walked into the recruiter's office, and that entire time I did weight training and spent a lot of time on the elliptical. Two months before I actually dropped to my max weight, I started a program called "Couch to 5k" (you can find it on Google), and it basically builds you up to run a complete 3-mile.

I don't know how much time you have before you ship, but what I would recommend is doing a distance jog (3-4 miles) on Monday, sprints (10 sec. sprints at full speed, 20 sec. walking; repeat until you complete 2 miles) on Wednesday, and on Friday try to run 2 miles in under 15 minutes, or a timed 1.5 mile, OR find a big hill and do hill sprints (run to the top, walk to the bottom, repeat at least 10 times). On the days in between, go for a swim or a lengthy bike ride, and take the weekends off to rest.

Make sure you're getting an adequate amount of sleep each night (at least 7 hours), eat right (I can't express how important a good, clean diet is!), and make sure you're properly hydrated (drink between a half gallon and a gallon of water a day).

Stay motivated, poolee.

luis2787
09-07-10, 03:34 PM
No need for the condescending attitude, 802...

Anyhow, to answer your question, other forms of cardio (like biking and swimming) will help you with your lung capacity, heart rate and endurance, so it's not a bad idea to give them a try, but to get better at running, you have to run. I know, it sucks. I hate running, but that's because I'm not the strongest runner.

Now, I've "ran" a consistent 13-13:30 mile and half for the last two months; that was after never actually running that distance in my life, and not being able to run a full lap around a track in high school. Are you stopping intermittently and/or walking?

I had to drop about 60 pounds before I even walked into the recruiter's office, and that entire time I did weight training and spent a lot of time on the elliptical. Two months before I actually dropped to my max weight, I started a program called "Couch to 5k" (you can find it on Google), and it basically builds you up to run a complete 3-mile.

I don't know how much time you have before you ship, but what I would recommend is doing a distance jog (3-4 miles) on Monday, sprints (10 sec. sprints at full speed, 20 sec. walking; repeat until you complete 2 miles) on Wednesday, and on Friday try to run 2 miles in under 15 minutes, or a timed 1.5 mile, OR find a big hill and do hill sprints (run to the top, walk to the bottom, repeat at least 10 times). On the days in between, go for a swim or a lengthy bike ride, and take the weekends off to rest.

Make sure you're getting an adequate amount of sleep each night (at least 7 hours), eat right (I can't express how important a good, clean diet is!), and make sure you're properly hydrated (drink between a half gallon and a gallon of water a day).

Stay motivated, poolee.

i only stop once or twice for like a quick second but keep going again so i am trying my hardest. i am just trying to get my lungs into shape because i never really ran that much always was walking to were i had to go so yeah. I am going to try other things to help my lungs and make me perform better.

the802
09-07-10, 03:35 PM
Cut my run time from over 14 minutes to 9:30 in two months simply by running as far as I could everyday. Try it.

Private Brown
09-07-10, 03:51 PM
In order to run 1.5 miles in 13:30 seconds you have to average a speed of a little under 7 miles an hour. The main thing is focusing on what you are doing and getting your mind right. Commitment and motivation is what will get you there, nothing else. I am willing to bet that your body is capable of this pace in its current state (unless you are very out of shape). Commit, and succeed. Don't try to get that 13:30 minute mark, or worry about it. Do your best and forget the rest. If you really push yourself, if you're really committed, you will make it. When you push yourself to the limit time becomes meaningless to you, because you know that you left it all out there.

Any kind of cardio will help, don't kid yourself. I would think biking would help with running more though. Get a friend and take turns running a predetermined reasonable distance, and while you run -- one of you will be on a bike. Switch and keep each other motivated! They are right when they say running is the best way to help running, but look at the bigger picture. Why are you running? To prepare for boot camp right? Do you think that there will be nothing but running? You should be swimming and every thing else imaginable to get in the best shape you can be in. Every workout will build your confidence in your physical ability and help the mental struggle.

I would definitely look in to plyometrics to get those legs ready though. I have been doing p90x and it is helping an unreal amount. That is where I started doing plyometrics and love it.

The main point I want you to take away from this is that mental strength is the key to unlocking your physical strength. Everything else is just icing on the cake. Commit, and succeed!

Tony Fleri
09-07-10, 03:59 PM
Cut my run time from over 14 minutes to 9:30 in two months simply by running as far as I could everyday. Try it.

I wouldnt recomend this because the result will most likely be some type of leg injury such as shin splints or stress facture...you dont just want to go from no experience runnining to tons of mileage. Its just asking for an injury.

@luis2787
You should definatley vary your workout for example...MON--shorter distance but higher intensity TUE--longer distance lower intensity
WED--rest THUR--in between distance medium intensity FRI--shorter distance higher intensity

just an example

Private Brown
09-07-10, 04:08 PM
Proper breathing goes a long way too.

luis2787
09-07-10, 06:22 PM
tomorrow i am going to try all 3 and see how i do because leave in March so will see where it goes from there because i just joined a local gym

pattchan
09-07-10, 08:28 PM
i started with 18mins 2months ago :) down to 12:30 now. just keep running theres no way around it. i run by myself at my neighborhood every night for like over a mile just so my legs get used to it. oh god i remember the days of not getting out of my room because of a pt session XD

sparkie
09-07-10, 08:47 PM
"i only stop once or twice for like a quick second but keep going again so i am trying my hardest."

Not EVEN,,,,,,,,,,,,I smell stupid.

pattchan
09-07-10, 09:38 PM
try doing cadence by urself that helps me
i just say like
"OH YEAH" "MOTIVATE" "DEDICATE"

nrml1
09-07-10, 10:30 PM
The way you get better at running is by running. Read some online articles on beginners running so you don't injure yourself, other than that just... run, its not that hard. Put one foot in front of the other, fast. Marines run, especially in boot camp, we ran pretty much everywhere.

Good luck.

luis2787
09-07-10, 10:56 PM
well i am joining a gym tomorrow so i am gonna motivate myself everyday i dont want to be were i am out now i want to be something in my life.

luis2787
09-08-10, 12:50 PM
just got back from the gym did pull ups crunches and rode 3 miles on the bike and swam 500 meters so yea i feel good. tonight i am gonna run my 2 mile.

Rough Hands
09-08-10, 01:19 PM
just got back from the gym did pull ups crunches and rode 3 miles on the bike and swam 500 meters so yea i feel good. tonight i am gonna run my 2 mile.

Good job. Just stick to a routine, but make sure you don't overdo it.

Tony Fleri
09-08-10, 01:26 PM

Howd the swim go? did you do sidestroke or just freestyle?

luis2787
09-08-10, 02:21 PM
i just did freestyle thats the only thing i know how to do lol but yah i am doing this routine every other day to cut the 30 pounds i need to be for my ship weight =) i really felt good going to the gym.

Tony Fleri
09-08-10, 02:40 PM
i just did freestyle thats the only thing i know how to do lol but yah i am doing this routine every other day to cut the 30 pounds i need to be for my ship weight =) i really felt good going to the gym.

Good stuff man...keep it up and youll lose the weight no problem

luis2787
09-08-10, 03:03 PM
Good stuff man...keep it up and youll lose the weight no problem

hardest part is going to be the running:tank: