PDA

View Full Version : Could I wear my blues....?

Jarheadtanker
09-06-10, 09:50 AM
My daughter tells me she wants me to wear my dress blues to walk her down the aisle on her wedding day. I am in good shape and won't look unsat in my blues although I am no longer as super lean as I was back in those days. I have gotten some folks telling me I should do it and I would really love to but I just want to make sure that this wouldn't be violating any USMC etiquette. Can any fellow leathernecks advise?

Semper Fi, brothers!

yellowwing
09-06-10, 10:47 AM
It's what your daughter wants. But is there not a Wedding Etiquette guideline, Thou Shalt Not Outshine the Groom.

Wyoming
09-06-10, 10:51 AM
It is their day, not yours.

locologe
09-06-10, 11:44 AM
Agree'd, its their day, all the attention is for them
Just tell your daughter, You cannot wear the uniform, unless, its some sort of Veterans Day parade.
When I got home from Bootcamp, on leave afterwards, my Mother begged me to wear my Dress A Uniform to her church.
I felt a little self concious, because we were supposed to wear them only for official use and going to and from duty stations. I couldnt wait to get out of that church fast enough!

Old Marine
09-06-10, 02:11 PM
Go for it. Wear your Blue's. That is what you daughter want's, so go ahead. No harm done.

brian0351
09-06-10, 02:34 PM
Yes you can. Someone posted the reg here not too long ago.

A Former Marine is authorized to wear the dress blues for formal occasions. Marine Ball, National Holidays, Funerals and weddings (I think). I've seen many Marines do it. Hell my friend's dad who got out in '74 wore his to his son's wedding.

USMCM38A1
09-06-10, 03:03 PM
As long as it fits and you look presentable by all means if it is her wish then do it for her you can only do so many things for them. Nothin looks better than a Marine in dress blues.

elliscraig12
09-06-10, 04:45 PM
I was told in Bootcamp you could wear it whenever you wanted as long as it's in regs.

SGT7477
09-06-10, 06:23 PM
Honorable discharge, good to go, Semper Fidelis.

micarr57
09-06-10, 07:14 PM
go for it as long as everything fits and hell if your daughter wants it it's all good

DESwiger
09-06-10, 07:41 PM
I am 56 years old, honorably discharged in 1981. I am very conchase of the regs and continue to get advise from active duty remington raiders (office pers.). The latest was a WO who dressed me down...

Jarheadtanker
09-06-10, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that I did tell my daughter that I wasn't comfortable with doing this since I don't want to steal any attention from her that day; even for a milisecond. (her groom...

Jarheadtanker
09-06-10, 08:12 PM
You look awful familiar, devil dog. Did you go to boot camp in PI in late 1988?

DESwiger
09-06-10, 08:25 PM
Negative. Hollywood 1971. You must be thinking of some other good looking jarhead... ooorahh!

Jarheadtanker
09-07-10, 07:14 AM
Oohrah!! Lol

hussaf
09-07-10, 10:27 AM
First time I read your post I thought its said you daughter wanted to wear your dress blues down the aisle. Lol. Anyway, absolutely go for it! If she's fine with it, then don't worry about looking better than the groom....weddings are for the bride, not the groom, anyway. This may even be a great excuse/motivation to lose a couple pounds!

Best to you daughter's wedding and new life!
SF

Jarheadtanker
09-07-10, 06:41 PM
Thanks Hussaf!

Semper Fi!

Jarheadtanker
09-07-10, 06:44 PM
I was looking online for a set of blues and I see that this won't be cheap! I haven't even gotten to the cover and it is well over 600.00! (when I first did them years ago they cost me around 300.00!~ Sign o the times!

PS I KNOW I will look much better than the groom! LOL

Preacher
09-08-10, 04:13 PM
Sounds to me like your daughter wants to be proud of her father when he walks her down the isle. Blues can be worn for formal events and parties, and a wedding is a formal event.

Marine84
09-08-10, 05:38 PM
If my Dad was still alive and if I ever had/have a snowflakes chance in hell of ever getting married, I would have luuuuuuuuuuved for my Dad to wear his Blues.

Weddings are formal events (unless it's a Redneck wedding) and you would be totally within the regs to wear them. Go for it! AND take pics - :)

Sgt Leprechaun
09-08-10, 11:36 PM
DO it.

And, as long as you don't need them (the blues) in, like, a week....hit up Ebay. Be patient, as long as you are not some huge (or tiny) size, you can put together a nice set for well under the cost.

However, fair warning, the closer you get to Marine Corps Ball time, the more expensive it will be...

Jarheadtanker
09-09-10, 05:25 PM
Preacher, Marine84 and Sgt. Leprechuan, thanks for all the info! I was almost certain that I would be able to wear them for my daughters wedding, but wasn't 100% sure. and since I posted here there have been only two replies for "no". I am going to get on ebay to see if I can find a set.
I would like to participate in a MC Ball at least once more before I go; kinda like a bucket list. LOL I am going to see if I can hook up with a recruiter and see if they can point me in the right direction. Who knows? Maybe next year I can do one more for old times sake!

hillbillyjar
09-09-10, 05:39 PM
Negative. Hollywood 1971. You must be thinking of some other good looking jarhead... ooorahh!
Wait...

They make Jarheads that are not good looking?

Did I miss a memo or something?

Sgt Leprechaun
09-09-10, 06:05 PM
'Tanker, glad to help! Also, you might consider hooking up with your local Marine Corps League. If you google that term you should be able to find a local post

Jarheadtanker
09-14-10, 02:00 PM
Will do, Sgt. Leprechaun!
Semper Fi!

Lisa 23
09-14-10, 02:44 PM
Jarheadtanker, here's a link to the Marine Corps League Detachments in the state of New York.....

http://www.mcleague.com/mdp/index.php?module=locator&DivisionID=6&DepartmentID=37

Jarheadtanker
09-15-10, 08:40 AM
Thanks, WMarine! Looks like I am going to be very busy for a while!

SSGT Jarvis
09-17-10, 06:27 PM
The answer to all of your questions can be found here. The Permanent Marine Corps Uniform Board (PMCUB) provides basic guidance for the appropriate wear of uniforms by active duty, reserve, retired, and former Marines. Check out the regs using the link below:

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/PAGES/Appropriate%20Wear%20of%20the%20Uniforms.asp

Jarheadtanker
09-18-10, 01:05 AM
Thanks SSGT Jarvis!

msahno
09-23-12, 05:12 PM
Hey Jarheadtanker...I’m almost in the same boat as you. I'm 43 and planning my first wedding. Since my active enlistment in the Marine Corps (87'-91'), I have enlisted in the Army and Air Force. ...

Sgt Leprechaun
09-24-12, 08:06 PM
As long as you still meet height/weight standards, as well as the groomin standard, you earned 'em, so wear 'em. Don't add rank that you didn't earn in them (just my opinion). Remember that your ribbons don't all transfer from different services, either.

Jose Lopez
03-14-13, 01:56 PM
I also have a similar dilemma. My wife and I are planning to renew our vows. I didn't wear my blues at either of my previous weddings or marriages and she wants me to wear mine on this occasion. Question is, after I left the Corps I too joined another branch of the service for monetary needs. Would I wear my rank from my Marine days or the final rank I achieved?

Thanks in advance...Semper Fi

Rocky C
03-14-13, 02:09 PM
Your final Rank in the Marine Corps Brother if your wearing your Blues.

Jose Lopez
03-14-13, 02:14 PM
That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. Now to find a good tailor in my area :)

Rocky C
03-14-13, 02:18 PM
Hahahaha !!!

Congrats to You and your Wife and have a Great Day.
Many more years together and many Blessings Brother.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

SGT7477
03-14-13, 07:02 PM
I also have a similar dilemma. My wife and I are planning to renew our vows. I didn't wear my blues at either of my previous weddings or marriages and she wants me to wear mine on this occasion. Question is, after I left the Corps I too joined another branch of the service for monetary needs. Would I wear my rank from my Marine days or the final rank I achieved?

Thanks in advance...Semper Fi

We don't really recognize the other branches rank, that is why if you come from another branch and want to be a Marine you have to go through our boot camp plus lose all your rank, your final rank like Rocky said in the Corps even if you wear our badazz dress greens, Semper Fidelis.