PDA

View Full Version : Getting in shape

DudefromDiego
09-06-10, 02:16 AM
Hello Marines, Poolees, Corpsman, etc.

I am in need of your help. I am not going to sugar coat it. I am out of shape. I'm not morbidly obese or anything, but if I were to ship tomorrow in my current condition, I would be cookie dough for a D.I:evilgrin:. I'm 5'9 around 184-ish (weighed in at 181 at MEPS, but haven't looked at a scale since) and I got some extra baggage. I can only do about 35 push ups per set, and pull ups are pretty much non existant. Running is not too bad, but not too good either. At my last PT session, we went running through Balboa Park, and minus the uphill sprints, I was pretty good in the running dept. Obviously I need to get in shape to ship for boot. I don't ship till June of 2011, but time is not really on my side. As Poolees/ Marines/etc. what would you recommend for me to get into shape that won't kill me in the process? Ideally a workout regiment.What exercises should I work on, and which ones should I avoid? I appreciate your help.

Thanks.

alphamarine23
09-06-10, 02:50 AM
DudefromDiego,

184, 5'9 really isn't all that bad bro. I've seen a buddy of mine who came in weighing in at 200 and at your same height lose 15 pounds just from coming into our Recruiting Sub Station every Tuesday and Thursday and pt'ing with the Marines and Poolees. He couldn't do a single pull up the first time and before he left for RT he could do 10+.

The craziest thing was he lost 20 more pounds at bootcamp and got a meritorious promotion to PFC too.

My advice is search the forum for workout plans( I know they have them) and keep going to your RSS for pt as much as you can because the more you're around Marines the more you'll strive to be like them and act like them.

Also look at the two sticky's on the Poolee titled "This is the ultimate motivation for poolees" and the one below that!

if you have any questions just ask but make sure you look it up too.

Good luck!!

Steve018
09-06-10, 01:36 PM
http://www.oo-rah.com They have some great workout plans. And yeah, I know I posted this website in other threads a few times. I am not trying to spam anyone, I simple love the work out plans! Also, p90x might be interesting, that is, if youve got some dough (the discs are like 160 bucks plus you need you're own equipment). Stay motivated and you will reach you're goals.

Tony Fleri
09-07-10, 01:19 PM
Okay you have plenty of time so no worries...to start off I would run maybe 2 miles a day if thats not too much and just slowly increase that after a few weeks. Once you start running youll more than likely begin to lose weight after a few months and that will definatley make doing pull ups easier but even at you weight now if you cant do any pull ups the best way would be to either get on a pull up assissting machine in a gym or do negative (just google negative pullups). Also, what job are you doing?

The best way to build an athletic background is to get into school sports. its not the only way but was how i built a good foundation for my athleticism

ScarSniper
09-07-10, 02:40 PM
Hello Marines, Poolees, Corpsman, etc.

I am in need of your help. I am not going to sugar coat it. I am out of shape. I'm not morbidly obese or anything, but if I were to ship tomorrow in my current condition, I would be cookie dough for a D.I:evilgrin:. I'm 5'9 around 184-ish (weighed in at 181 at MEPS, but haven't looked at a scale since) and I got some extra baggage. I can only do about 35 push ups per set, and pull ups are pretty much non existant. Running is not too bad, but not too good either. At my last PT session, we went running through Balboa Park, and minus the uphill sprints, I was pretty good in the running dept. Obviously I need to get in shape to ship for boot. I don't ship till June of 2011, but time is not really on my side. As Poolees/ Marines/etc. what would you recommend for me to get into shape that won't kill me in the process? Ideally a workout regiment.What exercises should I work on, and which ones should I avoid? I appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Well if your runtime is good and you have good stamina on the run, you're already 1/2way there. Just what you need to be doing is maintaining your diet, man, make sure you get enough calories but if your overweight you have to burn them off as well so hit the gym and PT as often as can. Cardio. If you've got 'til '11 to ship, you've got plenty of time and your recruiter will tell yuo what you need to do so that you'll be good to go. What's important is to stay motivated and don't get fatter. Good decision on joining the Marine Corps and best of luck. Keep doing push-ups and work on your pull-ups (pull-ups, bicep curls ect.)