PDA

View Full Version : Need info on MSG Duty!

Tara52305
09-05-10, 04:52 PM
Hi! My husband is really considering doing MSG duty. I am a little concerned about MSG due to our 3 young children. (schools, play mates, things to do, stationed in a bad area) Has anyone done this with a family? I would love to hear some other experiences with MSG. Thanks!

gunner1
09-05-10, 08:27 PM
Most places there is a joint Embassy school which are kids from different countrys. Playmates could be from the Embassy, from school ( from different Embassys ). As far as things to do depends where you stationed that's up to Battalion.http://www.marines.mil/unit/mccdc/mcesg/Pages/default.aspx. this will answer your questions contact them.

Wood5831
12-01-10, 02:52 PM
I know this is kind of old, but unless he is a SNCO, he can not do MSG Duty. Sergeants and Below have to be single.

Tennessee Top
02-03-11, 06:22 PM
I was a single Detachment Commander so can't give you any personal experience. There may be a limit on the number of children allowed. There is a Marine Corps Order with all the prerequisites along with a checklist; your husband's Career Planner will have a copy. That should be his first stop.

Like said above, he must be a Staff NCO to be eligible since he is married.

The school does try to match your family up with an appropriate post (that's why there must be a limit on dependents...more children the harder it is to make a good match). But remember the "golden rule"...the needs of the program will always come first.

Good luck...it's a great duty assignment!