PDA

View Full Version : Joining after survivng cancer.

skelleywag
09-04-10, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know how much time an individual must be cancer free before he/she can enlist in the Marine Corps? I've heard one year and all the way up to five years.

I enlisted on October 1 2009 after getting a waiver for having ADD. Before my ship date on January 25 2010, I noticed that any time I bumped into or struck an object with my right hand, I would have excruciating pain from my pinkie finger knuckle. I decided to have surgery because I didn't think I'd be able to make it through boot and they ended up removing a cancerous tumor and so I was DQ'd. (Medical Disqualification.)

I ended up having to get my pinkie finger removed to remove all the cancer and I've been cancer free since April 15 2010. My recruiter told me I've got to be cancer free for one year before I can try to enlist again. Can anyone confirm this for me? I'm hoping it's only one year.

Rough Hands
09-04-10, 08:25 PM
Does anyone know how much time an individual must be cancer free before he/she can enlist in the Marine Corps? I've heard one year and all the way up to five years.

I enlisted on October 1 2009 after getting a waiver for having ADD. Before my ship date on January 25 2010, I noticed that any time I bumped into or struck an object with my right hand, I would have excruciating pain from my pinkie finger knuckle. I decided to have surgery because I didn't think I'd be able to make it through boot and they ended up removing a cancerous tumor and so I was DQ'd. (Medical Disqualification.)

I ended up having to get my pinkie finger removed to remove all the cancer and I've been cancer free since April 15 2010. My recruiter told me I've got to be cancer free for one year before I can try to enlist again. Can anyone confirm this for me? I'm hoping it's only one year.

To be honest, I think the fact that you no longer have a pinkie finger may be a bigger problem. However, I do not know how long you must be cancer-free before attempting to enlist again, I wish I could be of more help. Although, it seems your recruiter has already given you the information you need. Best of luck.

skelleywag
09-04-10, 08:28 PM
To be honest, I think the fact that you no longer have a pinkie finger may be a bigger problem.

I was told that not having the pinkie wouldn't be much of a problem.

I can run, do push ups, do pull ups, do crunches, and shoot.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-04-10, 08:33 PM
I'd say go with what the recruiter says. Also, you are not a poolee at this point, correct? Therefore, change your profile to 'friend'. Unlikely that anyone here will be able to give you a concrete answer to that, other than the recruiter.

skelleywag
09-04-10, 08:39 PM
I'd say go with what the recruiter says. Also, you are not a poolee at this point, correct? Therefore, change your profile to 'friend'. Unlikely that anyone here will be able to give you a concrete answer to that, other than the recruiter.

That's probably what I'll end up doing.

Correct Sgt. How do I go about doing that? Searched and couldn't figure it out.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-04-10, 08:46 PM
Send a PM to yellowwing and thedrifter, they'll take care of it.

skelleywag
09-04-10, 09:02 PM
Done.

Steve018
09-04-10, 10:25 PM
I hope everything works out, I cant really confirm anything on the whole wait a year thing but make you sure you have a back up plan. Look into some colleges and what not, prepare for the worst. Good luck