PDA

View Full Version : Marines aim in...Snipers cross-train to gain experience, knowledge

thedrifter
09-25-03, 06:30 AM
Marines aim in...
Snipers cross-train to gain experience, knowledge

Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 200392419377
Story by Sgt. Danny L. Patterson

CAMP FUJI, Japan(Sept. 25, 2003) -- In 1999, when Matt H. Santaguida graduated from North Brookfield High School in North Brookfield, Conn., he began a journey that he never thought would take him to the other side of the world.

Upon graduation, he enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserves and went to Boot Camp at Parris Island, S.C. When he completed the School of Infantry at Camp Geiger, N.C., he reported to his duty station with 1st Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division, home of "New England's Own."

As a reservist, Santaguida went to the reserve station for one weekend a month and two weeks a year to perform his job as a Marine infantryman.

The rest of his time he spent working full time at the Stetson School in Barre, Mass., a residential treatment facility for sex offenders ages nine through 18. There he is a counselor for 12 children responsible for ensuring they attend treatment groups and other programs designed to overcome the tragedies in their lives. Along with structured activities, Santaguida spent countless hours providing something essential to the children's recovery- laughter. He does this by playing games and other fun activities with them.

On Jan. 15, all this changed when his unit was activated and sent to Camp Lejuene, N.C., to prepare for a six-month deployment to Okinawa, Japan.

His unit would go from working in the civilian world to performing their military occupational specialty on a day-to-day basis. Santaguida, now a lance corporal, said he knew that his unit would be activated, but he didn't know when.

"I was already mentally and physically prepared because I knew it was coming," Santaguida said. "The transition was rough at first, but I got used to it and now I enjoy it."

Nearly two years after Santaguida checked in to his reserve unit, he found out that there was a scout sniper platoon there and decided to challenge himself and become a sniper. He was successful.

On August 26, Weapons Company 1st Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, was attached to Battalion Landing Team 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, and Santaguida, and the other scout snipers in his platoon, traveled to Camp Fuji, Japan to perform training in a field environment.

Halfway around the world, the snipers joined up with the snipers of 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, to train together using their skills to learn from each other.

According to Staff Sgt. Scott M. Vecchi, platoon commander for Scout Sniper Platoon, 1st Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, the training was good for the Marines.

"Anytime two units get together and train, it is good because you each have something to lean from each other, no matter how small it may be," Vecchi said.

The snipers conducted a live fire stalking exercise where they practiced stealthy movements to a final firing position without being seen by numerous observers looking for them.

Before activation, the snipers of 1st Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, didn't have the opportunity to go out on a daily basis and train to be proficient in their skills. Now they are out almost everyday training in the job the signed up to do.

Although they miss their jobs in the civilian world, they still have goals they want to accomplish while on active duty.

"While activated, we plan to send more Marines to both primary and follow-on scout sniper schools, review and revise our standard operating procedures, and come together closer as a family," Vecchi said. "I think we have already begun to build a stronger family between the platoon."

After their deployment is over and the Marines of 1st Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, return to their families and homes, they can get back to their regular jobs and what they miss most. Santaguida said although he loves his job in the Marine Corps, he definitely misses his job at the Stetson House.

"I miss the kids and staff that I worked with," Santaguida said. "I especially miss making the kids laugh and playing games with them."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003924202354/$file/Sniper01.gif

Staring through the scope of his rifle, a Marine scout sniper waits patiently and silently to engage his target. The stalking exercise gave the snipers the opportunity to practice concealed movements and marksmanship skills.
Photo by: Sgt. Danny L. Patterson

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003924203943/$file/Sniper02.gif

The target the scout snipers fire at is labled the "Iron Maiden" because it is made of nearly one-and-a-half inch iron. The reason the sniper fire at an iron target is because it not only gives the shooter a visual conformation that he hit his target, but also an audible "pop" to affirm his hit.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003924204836/$file/Sniper03.gif

Lance Cpl. Matt H. Santaguida, scout sniper, Weapons Company, 1st Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, currently attached to Battalion Landing Team, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, puts vegetation on his ghillie suit to conceal his movement while he approaches his target.

Sempers,

Roger

vance
09-25-03, 06:38 PM
Interesting ! I was also wondering how the Snipers fit into Battalion, found it . They are part of Weapons Company like mortars .