PDA

View Full Version : New Poolee, over his head.

BurkeWorld
09-04-10, 12:56 AM
I'm 27 years old and I don't know what I just got myself into. I mean, really.. I'm a TV salesman at Best Buy, yet I had the sudden urge to sign up. I found myself talking to a recruiter, just asking questions, but from there, it got more and more deep. I was intrigued and interested.

Next thing I knew; I was hooked. Downside is, I'm kinda a big guy and my recruiter said he'd work with me through DEP, which is awesome. After just 5 days of training, I tried the IST. My signature states my results. Pretty poor, I admit, but I weigh 230 pounds and am 71" tall. I need to be under 228 by this Thursday, so I have been doing nothing but run, train and eat healthier. I'm making progress, considering I started at 236, so I'll take 6 pounds in 5 days.

Now, here's where my nerves get come into play. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching video's and documentaries on RT and it's very intimidating. However, the prospect of getting into shape is amazing and one huge moto for me, as it's what I need the most. Being 27 years old, I will be one of the old guys there I assume, but still, I won't let that hinder me. I have a college degree but I'm wasting away at Best Buy, it's time to do something with my life.

This forum has been a great source of information, I want to thank all of you for your input and tips. Good luck to all here. I ship out on November 15th.

~Burkey

Rough Hands
09-04-10, 03:52 AM
I feel you, man. I had to drop 60 pounds in order to enlist, and the first time I went to PT, I didn't pass the IST because of the crunches. On my second IST, I still didn't pass the crunches. Two months later, I passed. You can see all of my stats in my signature.

I barely did any training to improve; I had hit a rough patch with my family, and it was very hard to get motivated about anything. However, now I only have 37 days left before I ship to boot camp, and I'm ready to get my azz in gear. I know what I'm in for - I've seen every documentary there is, I've read every recruit blog I could find, and have heard many personal accounts - and I find myself being scared out of my mind at times. It's going to be hard, not just for you, but for everyone. The key is to never quit.

My goal is to drop my run to 12:00, get up to at least 70 crunches, and a 60 second flexed-arm hang.

You just have to push yourself, and you'll be fine when you ship, just stay motivated.

pattchan
09-04-10, 06:58 AM
I'm 27 years old and I don't know what I just got myself into. I mean, really.. I'm a TV salesman at Best Buy, yet I had the sudden urge to sign up. I found myself talking to a recruiter, just asking questions, but from there, it got more and more deep. I was intrigued and interested.

Next thing I knew; I was hooked. Downside is, I'm kinda a big guy and my recruiter said he'd work with me through DEP, which is awesome. After just 5 days of training, I tried the IST. My signature states my results. Pretty poor, I admit, but I weigh 230 pounds and am 71" tall. I need to be under 228 by this Thursday, so I have been doing nothing but run, train and eat healthier. I'm making progress, considering I started at 236, so I'll take 6 pounds in 5 days.

Now, here's where my nerves get come into play. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching video's and documentaries on RT and it's very intimidating. However, the prospect of getting into shape is amazing and one huge moto for me, as it's what I need the most. Being 27 years old, I will be one of the old guys there I assume, but still, I won't let that hinder me. I have a college degree but I'm wasting away at Best Buy, it's time to do something with my life.

This forum has been a great source of information, I want to thank all of you for your input and tips. Good luck to all here. I ship out on November 15th.

~Burkey
why not try OCS if u have a degree

the802
09-04-10, 08:48 AM
There are plenty threads already about weight issues, use the search bar.

Cellinheim
09-04-10, 09:45 AM
There are plenty threads already about weight issues, use the search bar.

This was not a plea for help. This was a fellow Poolee stating his situation, prior to his leave for MCRD. He was possibly looking for Moto, seeing as people tend to get cold feet right before a MAJOR life change of this sort. Weddings, childbirths (nothing we can do here XD), and yes even when joining the Marines. I am beginning to get tired of your condescending nature. "The 802."

Burkeworld, STAY MOTO MAN! Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. After you get out, think of the all of the brothers and siters you will have behind you who went through the same thing. If ANY SINGLE recruit can do it...so can YOU!

pattchan
09-04-10, 09:54 AM
we have a 31 year old poolee btw. hes smoking everyone at running. dont make excuses and just do it

BassPro0007
09-04-10, 10:24 AM
Im a salesman myself. I know it can be a physically demanding job being on your feet for ten to twelve hours a day. If financially possible, you should quit soon and dedicate yourself to PT. It sounds like you have the drive so you should have no worries about boot camp. As long as you can pass the IST to GET to boot camp then you'll make it with the right mindset. They wont kick you out of boot unless you really want to quit.

IowaBoy171
09-04-10, 10:32 AM
Yo man you'll be alright i'm 23 and leaving for boot on Tuesday. Don't let your nerves get the best of you. I was nervous as could be and I was starting to wonder what the hell I was doing but finally the nerves subsided and now I'm just pumped to go. You'll be happy you did this as soon as bootcamp is over and you are doing something positive with your life. I went to college 2 so make sure you get your promotion because it's extra money in your pocket and puts you about 6 months ahead of the rest the recruits. Just don't quit man you will one day more than likely regret it.

Cellinheim
09-04-10, 10:36 AM
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/0c0c42a3#/0c0c42a3/28

These guys have the get up and go as active duty after this has happened... I think we can do the same. There is a reason one would wish to pursue this after these sort of proceedings... true moto!

Steve018
09-04-10, 11:41 AM
You'll definitely see improvement by then! This girl from our RS lost a mind blowing 100 pounds (i think in a month as well but I might have misheard lol). Her pics on facebook show the improvement. You can definitely reach your goal. Oh, and btw, one of the recruiters said he enlisted when he was 27, be expected to be called "Grandpa" at boot camp haha.

BurkeWorld
09-04-10, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all the replies. As for OCS, I hail from Canada, where "University" is the usual 4 year degree course. The "colleges" are typically 2-3 year courses. That's all I have, I don't have a 4 year BA or anything of that sort, but a 3 year course in Police Foundations, as I wanted to become a Police Officer.

Having said that, I will still try enlisted recruiting and go from there, but I do have over 15 credits from said college, so my recruiter said I still would be ahead of the game.

And yes, I'm PT'ing more and more everyday, I've already gained 5 crunches since yesterday, the pain is going away and confidence is being instilled.

Luck to all,

~Burkey

Nerd
09-05-10, 11:44 PM
You're a green card or a citizen of the USA?

wilsontc11
09-06-10, 12:12 AM
I've been there too. My initial IST was like, 60 crunches, 0 pull ups, and like, a 17 minute mile and a half. If you're 7 feet tall, id think that pull ups would be the toughest thing. Just keep working at them. If you ship Nov. 15th, you've got more than enough time to get some decent scores. Just don't slack, eat right, and make sure you PT on your own time aswell as whenever you can with a recruiter/pool function

alphamarine23
09-06-10, 03:58 AM
Keep at it bro, if you ever feel down or not motivated remember all of those that went through it before you did! I also found it a good tip to always go to the pt sessions at the recruiting station and be around those Marines and you'll start to want to be more like them. They also will help you stay motivated and get you in shape! Good luck!!