PDA

View Full Version : Help with Grunt MOS

Eric Hood
09-01-10, 05:34 PM
Marines!
How is an 0351 Assaultman different from an 0352 Anti-armor? How new are these two?
Sometimes I feel like I was in the Corps one hundred years ago.
Eric
:usmc:

stretchusa
09-01-10, 07:28 PM
0351 deals with Rockets and Demo. 0352 deals with Anti Armor missles. Not new at all.

brian0351
09-02-10, 04:05 AM
A little more detail...

Actually 0351's used to be Flamethrowers back in the old WWII days.

As for the current status 0351s carry the SMAW in a line weapons plt. They also have a chance of being assigned to a weapons company where they will carry the Javelin medium anti-tank missile. Yes they are also supposed to the company's "mini-engineers" and do have experience with explosives. Hence the MOS title of Assaultman.

0352s are TOW gunners, plain and simple. The TOW is a heavy anti-tank missile only attached with Weapons companies or with LAR in the LAV-AT.

I should know because I had the privilege of both MOSs :)

stretchusa
09-02-10, 05:21 PM
A little more detail...

Actually 0351's used to be Flamethrowers back in the old WWII days.

As for the current status 0351s carry the SMAW in a line weapons plt. They also have a chance of being assigned to a weapons company where they will carry the Javelin medium anti-tank missile. Yes they are also supposed to the company's "mini-engineers" and do have experience with explosives. Hence the MOS title of Assaultman.

0352s are TOW gunners, plain and simple. The TOW is a heavy anti-tank missile only attached with Weapons companies or with LAR in the LAV-AT.

I should know because I had the privilege of both MOSs :)
Some things have changed since you were in. 0351's no longer learn the Javelin, that weapons system belongs to 0352's. The period in time at SOI that covered the Javelin is now covered by more in depth demolitions. Also 0352's can go to Tank Battalions as scouts. The deleopment of the 0351 Assaultman went from flamethrowers, bazzokas, and bangalore torpedos, to 3.5 inch rocket launchers (super bazzokas) 106mm recoilless rifles, briefly the M202 rocket launcher (4 barrels, you see it in Commando) Mk153 Mod 0 SMAW, in the works is the ESMAW, SMAW 2 whatever you call it. Also there is serious discussion amongst 0306's Marine Gunners to faze out the 0351 field as redundent. To be replaced in a grunt battalion with combat engineers. TOW's have been replaced by the SABRE except in LAR units. SABRE is basicly the Army's ITAS with some modifications.

Spent the last year I was in teaching at IWOC and working directly for the 2nd CWO5 Gunner in the USMC.

Muztang11
09-02-10, 08:09 PM
Things may be different now but in the late 90's:

0351=Humping with the grunts carrying a SMAW,occasionally shooting training rounds thru it.

0352=Riding in hardback hummers listening to your favorite music on a device known as a "walkman" and occasionally blowing **** up with a missile that costs more then the hummer was worth.

stretchusa
09-02-10, 09:31 PM
Things may be different now but in the late 90's:

0351=Humping with the grunts carrying a SMAW,occasionally shooting training rounds thru it.

0352=Riding in hardback hummers listening to your favorite music on a device known as a "iPod" and occasionally blowing **** up with a missile that costs the same as the hummer was worth.
Thats about the only changes.

Eric Hood
09-03-10, 06:51 AM
Thanks. So both these MOS existed in 1979?

Muztang11
09-03-10, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't know that...I was only 6 y/o:)

Assaultdog0351
09-03-10, 09:35 PM
The tow existed in 79... It had been around for 10 years already but mostly on helos. And there has been rumors of getting rid of 51's since 51's were made. The truth is, we're the badasses, plain and simple. If there was ever an MOS that fit the profile for the saying "adapt and overcome" we do both with resilience. Just when you think we're going away they give new toy to play with. Take the SMAW 2 for example, which are pretty sweet by the way, I just hope they begin manufacturing rockets with some type of auto regcognition instead of manual select.

Rooger
09-03-10, 09:43 PM
The tow existed in 79... It had been around for 10 years already but mostly on helos. And there has been rumors of getting rid of 51's since 51's were made. The truth is, we're the badasses, plain and simple. If there was ever an MOS that fit the profile for the saying "adapt and overcome" we do both with resilience. Just when you think we're going away they give new toy to play with. Take the SMAW 2 for example, which are pretty sweet by the way, I just hope they begin manufacturing rockets with some type of auto regcognition instead of manual select.

Badasses? Nah that would be 1371's with secondarys 2336 and 8023 :thumbup:

Assaultdog0351
09-04-10, 08:55 AM
Badasses? Nah that would be 1371's with secondarys 2336 and 8023 :thumbup:
2336 is pretty badass... But I can't say the same for 1371... or especially 8023(when's the last time you heard of someone using that other than at a school?) lets not forget about 0306

stretchusa
09-06-10, 03:23 PM
2336 is pretty badass... But I can't say the same for 1371... or especially 8023(when's the last time you heard of someone using that other than at a school?) lets not forget about 0306
Baddest mofo's around. I loved teaching the new ones, laid back and eager to learn.