PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii

eleventen32
09-01-10, 05:13 PM
I just recently graduated Intel school in Pensacola and have orders to Hawaii. :marine: Just wondering if anyone who has been stationed in Hawaii has any advice or insight on being stationed there. Thanks in advance. Oorah!

TunTvrnWarrior
09-01-10, 07:43 PM
I was stationed there from 85 to 88. Stow money away into a savings account, as much as you possibly can for when you leave Hawaii to get a car.
On Oahu, if you get a car get what is called an "Island Car". Usually a beater. The salt air will eat up any car you have.

Make a point to make friends with the locals, such as church out in town. I still stay in touch with friends there. You treat the locals with respect, they will respect you.

Get your butt in school. Get your associates before you leave Kaneohe. It was over at the Library when I was there. Anderson Chow hall near your barracks is a dive. The food is horrible. The Chow hall on the wing side is better. On Sundays, go to Hickam AFB on the other side of the island for chow. Back then you could request steak and lobster for your birthday and they would actually do it at Hickam AFB.

Wiakiki, is a tourist trap. It will suck the money out of your wallet. Dont buy a "Genuine Hawaiian Pearl", it was grown in the Mississippi River. Go and tour Waikiki. But your best bet is to explore the rest of the island and islands. The North Shore is excellent for surfing. Also, you can get your SCUBA certification on base at a cheap rate. There is a cove that is a hideaway up in base housing somewhere, you may want to check that out. They have an excellent golf course.

The PX should not be too far from your barracks. Kialua is out the back gate, look for the little "hole in the wall restraunts" they are usually the best.

You will want to get away from Hawaii and return home for Leave. Plan for it by putting the money where you cannot touch it. Dont buy a car on the island unless you can pay for it in full. You dont want to have a loan out in town.

TunTvrnWarrior
09-01-10, 07:46 PM
Hammerhead Shark breeding ground around the base. You can fish for them off of the pier near the Aircraft Hangars. There are areas of the deck that still have bullet holes from the JAPS in WWII. There is a nice little beach area on the other side of the runway.

tgwkreu7
09-01-10, 08:04 PM
i was stationed at Barbers Point Oahu Hawaii '48,'49 and part of '50 before i went to Korea it was a beautiful back then as for now i don't know things always change after a person leaves i understand Barbers Point is closed now they had a naval air station when i was there and we were the MP's on the base i loved it and you will too you have to find out for yourself everyone has their own opinion so you will have to find out for yourself

AlohaMarine
09-03-10, 04:01 PM
tgwkreu, my family friend came to Oahu in July, the last time she was here was 1972. She said it had changed so much it was ridiculous.

As someone actually still at Kaneohe Bay, I believe my advice may be a bit more pertinent.

I drive a 2008 Lexus. The salt hasn't touched it. But, as we know, Marines are the dumbest, most retarded human beings on earth. So their doors have definitely dinged the **** out of my car. A car will last in Hawaii, but the Marines you live with at the barracks may beat the **** out of it. Your call.

What kind of unit are you going to? Air wing? Enjoy. Those bastards never work. 3rd Marines? Better work on your Farsi. CLB/3rd Radio?

Are you white? Haole. Are you black? Popollo. Are you asian? You may fit in after all...

Waikiki is horrible, unless you are an alcoholic and think "Those 15,000 other military guys in Waikiki tonight aren't **** compared to me. I'm gonna get the girl!"

Don't wear jeans, ever. You look stupid.

Let us know what unit you're going to, it all depends on that.

DESwiger
09-04-10, 01:10 PM
If you need some local help, look up my son Joshua E Swiger and his wife. Both formar active duty Marines and still living there for the past few years. I was at Pearl for two years and loved diving as much as possible. Had my first real vacation there, ten wonderful days on the beach in a tent living off the ocean feeding grounds. Keep your mind on your job but enjoy your self - the locals can be great friends or foe - it's all up to you. Always remember, it's the main-land not back to the states!

DerekSmalls7
09-05-10, 02:04 PM
Currently stationed there for the last 3.5 years. Can't wait to leave. Base itself is nice enough. Pretty much everything within walking distance (though I would recommend buying a car ASAP). Weather is decent enough, a bit humid. Plenty of beaches and swimming and boating area's to hit up just on base. Plenty of decent restaurants in the neighboring towns of Kailua and Kaneohe. Waikiki is nice, but it is a tourist trap and it is VERY easily to blow a few hundred in one night--more if you spend a weekend there, so be cautious when it comes to your finances. Also, be advised that the locals straight fuc*ing hate us. I've had several friends get jumped by 300 pound mokes so be careful what bar you walk into or what part of town you pass through. (Locals, generally of Samoan decent--they're called moke's). North shore is awesome. Just whole fact that I'm on an island and can't go anywhere else sort of got to me by the second year and I am def ready to go back to CONUS. If you got any more specific questions feel free to PM me.

1stRad2671
09-05-10, 09:43 PM
Just whole fact that I'm on an island and can't go anywhere else

That's what I didn't like about Hawaii. Roughly $1000 to get home to the east coast. Fortunately for me I was able to take leave while I was in CONUS for Airborne school so it only cost me the tickets from GA to home and home to where the govt paid ticket back to HI.

I didn't have much time for taking any other leave anyways. I did get a few weekend trips to the Big Island though. Even took my motorcycle one time.

scifguard
09-06-10, 06:09 AM
Will you be at 3D Rad or Kunia? Two words of advice, don't go out at night unless your in a group because your due to get jumped at some point. Also, don't go to Wainiae that often, there's not much there and you might get shot at.

Supersquishy
09-06-10, 07:42 AM
Find "ACHPED" and kick his as for me.

AlohaMarine
09-07-10, 11:17 PM
Squishy, now thats not really necessary is it? Besides, Achped is a really great guy. He loves women, cars, guns, and the beach.

He just effing hates the Marine Corps!

Good day to you!