PDA

View Full Version : Surviving the Cut

Zumbii
09-01-10, 03:33 PM
Sorry if this has been addressed... I've been away from the forums for awhile.

Tonight on the Discovery Channel the new mini series "Surviving the Cut" will portray US Marine Recon.

Everyone should watch it, especially those who hope to go Recon...

This has been a public service announcement :flag:

franksg99
09-01-10, 04:15 PM
This future-POG is also excited to see it:iwo:

wilsontc11
09-01-10, 05:23 PM
I'll also be watching it. Was going to make a post but you beat me to it

Nerd
09-01-10, 05:57 PM
I think every poolee should watch the military channel and programs about the Corps. It helps motivate me, at least.

and a comment on Force Recon Marines, a quote from my recruiter which made me laugh at PT today:

"Force Recon Marines? Oh yea, they're just like navy SEALs, but they don't have a gay ass name like *seal*"

Rough Hands
09-01-10, 09:48 PM
Definitely going to watch it. I try to catch all of the Military Channel specials about the Marine Corps, and I've actually bought a few of them, like "Making Marines". A little bit outdated, but still very relevant as far as USMC boot camp goes. I have another one called "First to Fight", but it's a two-disc set that has a few programs on it about the Mountain Warfare center and Winter Survival school, and another one about the push to Baghdad.

Good stuff.

Steve018
09-01-10, 10:21 PM
Definitely going to watch it. I try to catch all of the Military Channel specials about the Marine Corps, and I've actually bought a few of them, like "Making Marines". A little bit outdated, but still very relevant as far as USMC boot camp goes. I have another one called "First to Fight", but it's a two-disc set that has a few programs on it about the Mountain Warfare center and Winter Survival school, and another one about the push to Baghdad.

Good stuff.

Making Marines is great, I never watched all of it but the ones that i did watch sent shivers down my spine.

mcspam
09-01-10, 10:57 PM
Did anyone ever catch the one they showed on the Military channel a few times called US Marines: First to Fight? I saw the commercials, but sadly never caught it and the military channel doesn't show it much. Here's the commercial : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2pJ3b5EuJo

Rough Hands
09-02-10, 12:16 AM
I'm watching Surviving the Cut right now, and I hadn't realized that they do BRC training at Coronado; I've been there! They actually have a SEAL base there on "The Strand". My current recruiter also attended BRC, but was dropped due to an injury - I have so much respect for him.

I feel privileged to have walked on those beaches. :)

pattchan
09-02-10, 01:13 AM
Ears. Open. Eyeballs. Click

wilsontc11
09-02-10, 08:44 AM
I cant even imagine being able to carry a 200 lb dummy and a 90 lb rucksack through tear gas for 3 miles....

Steve018
09-02-10, 09:35 AM
Ears. Open. Eyeballs. Click

Thats a great documentary of recruit training, although it definitely the prettier side of things haha

Zumbii
09-02-10, 12:39 PM
I cant even imagine being able to carry a 200 lb dummy and a 90 lb rucksack through tear gas for 3 miles....

so insane...
most motivating ive ever seen is when they come down the hill and all the instructors are applauding them.

the802
09-02-10, 01:44 PM
It was good, but I wish it was an HBO series so it could have been more in depth... And I also wish it wasnt not dumbed down so that the civilian world could understand it (Not that I am a Marine yet, but I have more understanding then the general mass)

franksg99
09-02-10, 04:22 PM
It was good, but I wish it was an HBO series so it could have been more in depth... And I also wish it wasnt not dumbed down so that the civilian world could understand it (Not that I am a Marine yet, but I have more understanding then the general mass)

I totally agree, it seems like some parts were sort of "fabricated" for tv. I mean I'm just a poolee, but there is no way that the MSgt is always with the platoon motivating them the entire way through.

Zumbii
09-02-10, 04:55 PM
I totally agree, it seems like some parts were sort of "fabricated" for tv. I mean I'm just a poolee, but there is no way that the MSgt is always with the platoon motivating them the entire way through.

I thought the same thing and my recruiter said "the Recon community is different. Did you notice how he didn't even have a hair cut?"
lol

wilsontc11
09-02-10, 08:29 PM
Well, they showed the "milestones" of the program I guess. Personally, I would have loved to see them just doing PT, or see some of the stuff they learn in class, but I guess they thought main stream America wouldn't like that to much :thumbdown.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-04-10, 04:03 AM
According to a friend of mine (Retired Force Recon, Dual Cool, Ranger, HALO, etc) the program was realistic and correct as far as it could be. As he went through ARS back in '83, it was nowhere near what he had to do, but it was an accurate portrayal.

Tony Fleri
09-07-10, 03:08 PM
I thought the same thing and my recruiter said "the Recon community is different. Did you notice how he didn't even have a hair cut?"
lol

Yeah all the special operations communities are more lenient on standards because of the high stress levels invloved with the job

alphamarine23
09-07-10, 05:04 PM
Yeah all the special operations communities are more lenient on standards because of the high stress levels invloved with the job

Yup, I've had the honor of meeting some active duty Navy Seals through NROTC and both of the guys I met had full grown beards.

Tony Fleri
09-07-10, 06:26 PM
Yup, I've had the honor of meeting some active duty Navy Seals through NROTC and both of the guys I met had full grown beards.

Thats cool...same here ive met guys from most of the communities by doing stuff with sea cadets

Zumbii
09-07-10, 10:47 PM
Hey tony, I was looking at your profile and it appears that we live pretty close to each other.
Lets get together sometime soon and get a workout going.

Tony Fleri
09-07-10, 11:45 PM
Hey tony, I was looking at your profile and it appears that we live pretty close to each other.
Lets get together sometime soon and get a workout going.

For sure man sounds good im always working out so pretty much whenever you would be down. what job are you shooting for by the way?

Zumbii
09-08-10, 12:07 PM
Right on, I have an entirely open schedule so any day any time, unless there's some swell in the water.
I want 0321 so badly.

Tony Fleri
09-08-10, 12:41 PM
Right on, I have an entirely open schedule so any day any time, unless there's some swell in the water.
I want 0321 so badly.

Same here...when those 0321 contracts come around im really hoping i can snag one. Do you swim alot, like sidestroke and all that good stuff?

Zumbii
09-08-10, 04:55 PM
Same here...when those 0321 contracts come around im really hoping i can snag one. Do you swim alot, like sidestroke and all that good stuff?

Same here bro, that's why I want to get these pt scores up. Yours are real good.
I am more than comfortable in the open ocean, I just need to start working on pool swimming. I've been trying to find a partner for awhile but no one is down.
Ima private message you buddy.

wilsontc11
09-09-10, 02:10 AM
There is another Marine related episode about Marine snipers that comes on Sept. 22 also. dont miss it!