PDA

View Full Version : How do you cook a Tri-tip 4 pound of beef?

Sparrowhawk
08-19-02, 01:32 PM
A new alberson's opened in our neighborhood and their meat looked good aso i said to myself..

Buy that good looking piece of meat and cook for dinner tonight.

So that's what I did, but dont find much in cook book my wife and daughter's have around here.

Most of them are "How to cook in a microwave, in three minutes or less." LOl

Help any good cook's out there?

chado
08-19-02, 02:12 PM
It's all in the marinade!

Get yourself some good olive oil, liquid smoke, lots of garlic (chopped), worstershire, Montreal Steak Seasoning, Lawreys seasoning salt, and of course, a beer.

Let that meat soak in that for as long as you can. Put it on the grill and sear it. Then turn the heat down, move the meat off the direct heat. Use the top rack if you have one.

Let that cook until its just a hair undercooked for you, then take it off the grill, wrap it in foilk, and let it sit a few. It'll finish in the foil.

Crack a beer and enjoy.

Semper Fi

Sparrowhawk
08-19-02, 03:17 PM
I had everything you mentioned except the liqud smoke, but I have a left over heat tab from Nam in the garage omewhere.

The only thing you didn't give me details on, is what type of beer?

I have Bud, budlight, Coor's lite, Michaelob and a dark beer someone left ehre last December.

12 oz or 24? Does it matter if its a can or bottle.

LOL

Thanks It's being done!

<B>See what happenes when you not only don't know how to cook it, but look it up on the internet with the wrong speling! LOL
This is what I was looking for....

http://www.balcorp.com/beef/sirloin/1185c.GIF

This is what I got on the internet... LOL</b>

http://www.americantri.com/imports/images/test1.gif

thedrifter
08-19-02, 03:19 PM
Hell Cook, you made Ellie break out her cookbook.....LOL

Beef Subs With Roasted Vegetable Relish
Total preparation and cooking time: 1-1/4 hours

1-1/2 to 2 pound beef tri-tip roast
2 tablespoons reduced-calorie mayonnaise
1 to 2 small cloves garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper
6 to 8 crusty sourdough rolls (4 to 5 inches long), split

Preparation
In small bowl, combine mayonnaise and garlic; cover and refrigerate.

Trim fat from beef roast. Place roast on grid over medium coals. Grill 35 to 45 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 140 degrees for medium-rare, 155 degrees for medium. Let stand 10 minutes before carving. (The temperature will continue to rise to 145 degrees for medium-rare, 160 degrees for medium.)

Meanwhile prepare Roasted Vegetable Relish.

Carve roast across the grain into thin slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Spread mayonnaise mixture on bottom half of rolls. Arrange equal amount of beef over mayonnaise; top with vegetable relish. Close with top half of rolls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roasted Vegetable Relish

Vegetable cooking spray
1 medium red, yellow or green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 medium onion, cut lengthwise into thin wedges
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Preparation
Heat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly spray 15 X 10-inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray. Place vegetables in pan. Combine oil, vinegar, rosemary and pepper; drizzle over vegetables, tossing to coat. Roast in 450 degrees oven 15 to 17 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.

Serve with Beef Subs.
Makes 6 to 8 servings (334 calories per 1/6 of recipes).

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
08-19-02, 03:25 PM
I'm going to try a prime rib tomorrow...

I wonder what kind of photo I'll get this time...LMAO...
Thanks for the suggestions, thank you Ellie.......

maybe I'll become a chef.. start my own cooking diary, I'll call it

"The Cooking with Cook, "daily web site.. aand include all sorts of pictures, Im sure Bones can set me up with some of those .....

Tuesday, its Prime Rib, Wednesday Enchilladas, Thursday, Baked Alaska, Friday... hummmmm

madsox
08-19-02, 03:28 PM
A food thread! Now you Marines just MADE my day! I love talking about food, making food, eating food, just about anything that's food!

And I was that way before I enlisted, too, so I can't blame it on that fine USMC chow.

Big roast? rub it down wth salt, pepper, and some garlic, then brush it with olive oil. Brown it on all sides first, and then roast it at, oh, 325-350 F for probably two hours (check with a meat thermometer, you don't want it looking done but really too rare), until it's as done as you likes it.

Simple is good if it's good meat! (Or follow thedrifter and Ellie's recipe, that looks pretty d#mn good, too!)

Alright, when's chow?

Sparrowhawk
08-19-02, 03:37 PM
Baked Alaska...

When I was 14, I worked as a dish washer at the Copa De Oro Restaurant in Casa Grande, Arizona. The Chef there was German, and he made Baked Alaska.... and I still remember it to this day.

A large piece of soft cake, ice cream with a fluffy creamy top and a flaming top.. Was I impressed...

<hr>

That's it Jerry we need a "Cooking Tread" maybe we'll call it,

Marine Chow 101, or recipes from the madsock Marine..

A place we can share our favorite recipes...

Now, about that Baked Alaska...

I think, Im getting close...

http://www.bakedalaskasoup.com/building.jpg

Barndog
08-19-02, 05:06 PM
Ok.......

You can pile all that crap on yer beef, and kill all taste. OR..... try this:

I Prefer to smoke my meat slowly - over charcoal (gas sucks) and hickory (apple or peach is great also). Soak your wood chips at least 1 hour in warm water and drain b4 using them.

My favorite rub: **NOT FOR THE MEEK**

1/2 cup coarse salt (sea salt or kosher)
1/2 cup cracked black pepper or coarsely ground
1/3 cup hot paprika
3 TBSP (tablespoons) pure chili powder (no blends)
2 TBSP cayenne pepper
2 TBSP Garlic (fresh pressed or powder - I prefer the pressed for flavor obviously)
1 TBSP ground cumin
1 TBSP Oregano
1 TBSP Thyme

Mix dry ingredents in a bowl. Store in a jar, they keep for several months. Makes about 2 cups.
*Real added treat* take yer roast or whatever.... and the garlic.... about a shot (or 2 depending on the size of the cut) of Jack Daniels.... mix the garlic and JD together and rub into the beef. (USE BEEF ONLY FOR THIS RUB!!!) Then, place into a Ziplock bag for 12-18 hours, then rub with the dry mix. If you remember, turn the beef a couple times while marinating.

Smoke at 300 ( *the test - if you can hold your hand over the vent hole about 8" away for 10-12 seconds it's around 300 F) about 35-40 minutes per pound).

Roast until specified temp is reached. Remember - covering with foil upon removing from grill will raise internal temp approx 10-15 degrees F.

Happy chow.

Semper FI

Barndog

p.s. - I also have great pork recipes too

The Lion
08-19-02, 05:34 PM
mmmmmm descions descions
:ninja:

USMC0311
08-19-02, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Barndog
Ok.......

You can pile all that crap on yer beef, and kill all taste. OR..... try this:

I Prefer to smoke my meat slowly - over charcoal (gas sucks) and hickory (apple or peach is great also). Soak your wood chips at least 1 hour in warm water and drain b4 using them.

My favorite rub: **NOT FOR THE MEEK**

1/2 cup coarse salt (sea salt or kosher)
1/2 cup cracked black pepper or coarsely ground
1/3 cup hot paprika
3 TBSP (tablespoons) pure chili powder (no blends)
2 TBSP cayenne pepper
2 TBSP Garlic (fresh pressed or powder - I prefer the pressed for flavor obviously)
1 TBSP ground cumin
1 TBSP Oregano
1 TBSP Thyme

Mix dry ingredents in a bowl. Store in a jar, they keep for several months. Makes about 2 cups.
*Real added treat* take yer roast or whatever.... and the garlic.... about a shot (or 2 depending on the size of the cut) of Jack Daniels.... mix the garlic and JD together and rub into the beef. (USE BEEF ONLY FOR THIS RUB!!!) Then, place into a Ziplock bag for 12-18 hours, then rub with the dry mix. If you remember, turn the beef a couple times while marinating.

Smoke at 300 ( *the test - if you can hold your hand over the vent hole about 8" away for 10-12 seconds it's around 300 F) about 35-40 minutes per pound).

Roast until specified temp is reached. Remember - covering with foil upon removing from grill will raise internal temp approx 10-15 degrees F.

Happy chow.

Semper FI

Barndog

p.s. - I also have great pork recipes too
Bring on the recipies Tony.. I like this one Marine. and I got "ratidine" also