PDA

View Full Version : becoming an officer with njp?!

termlance
08-31-10, 06:36 PM
My first post on here so I'll introduce myself,
I joined in 2008, I was suppose to be a aircraft mechanical, went U.A. in 2009 from my school house. For retarded reasons. when I came back home I went to the brig for sixteen days, received a battalion njp followed by 45/45, loss of rank, and 3.9/3.9 pro cons. Lowest I've ever had. From there in 2010 I was sent to radio ops course, graduated honor graduate, maritouiois promoted to e-3 again, and have had solid 4.7 4.6 pros cons. I'm mow at 1st ANGLICO, I'm my units color gaurd, and have received two letters of acommodation. My pfts have been consistent 290s same with cft. My team leader is a captain and said he'll give me a letter of recommendation, my CO and Sgt Maj said same. I was going to do MECEP, but I don't feel I'll be very competitive with njp, so I decided to just try when I eas, my problem is i can't get a straight answer from anyone on if I'm disqualified from earning the brass, or if I still have a chance? Please help thank you.
LCPL TERMLANCE

P.S. sorry about spelling or punctuation, but to be honest I'm on duty and using my phone. Thank you.

yellowwing
08-31-10, 07:15 PM
Have a thorough and honest conversation with you nearest OSO.

termlance
08-31-10, 07:26 PM
I've contacted four oso two here in California, and the other two from my home state. Two of them said maybe one didn't know, and one said flat out no. So I'm really confused at this point, right now I have a associates degree in liberal arts, that I started and finished since I've been in, but I don't want to start getting my hopes up as I close Von on my bachelors and EAS, if I'm going to get turned out.

yellowwing
08-31-10, 07:40 PM
The degree proves that you know how to learn and stick with it. That and good Discharge will go far. Whatever road life takes, you can still Lead. <br />
<br />
If you are of Officer Character, you have the...

USNAviator
08-31-10, 07:40 PM
I've contacted four oso two here in California, and the other two from my home state. Two of them said maybe one didn't know, and one said flat out no. So I'm really confused at this point, right now I have a associates degree in liberal arts, that I started and finished since I've been in, but I don't want to start getting my hopes up as I close Von on my bachelors and EAS, if I'm going to get turned out.

OK you've got two years of college and a Associates. If you EAS and go back to school ,forget the NROTC route, I don't think you'd be eligible. Concentrate on either PLC the summer between your Junior to Senior year or wait till you get a BA and go OCS.

I can't tell you how your past will reflect upon your future plans, we all make mistakes. But from what you've said you've cleaned up your act, matured. All you can do is go forward

BTW,there are many junior officers on board LN who have more up to date knowledge than I do. If you fill in your profile, it might help them

Good luck to you

TunTvrnWarrior
08-31-10, 08:10 PM
Get those letters of recommendation lined up now before you EAS. You want them in hand. Stay in touch with the ones who recommended you by letter and others in leadership who have seen your transformation. You may need them.

Beltayn
08-31-10, 09:29 PM
when I came back home I went to the brig for sixteen days, received a battalion njp followed by 45/45, loss of rank, and 3.9/3.9 pro cons. Lowest I've ever had. From there in 2010 I was sent to radio ops course, graduated honor graduate, maritouiois promoted to e-3 again, and have had solid 4.7 4.6 pros cons.I just want to highlight how crazy those numbers seem to me, and how frustrating the pro/con system and its lack of correct and consistent application is.
I've seen marines get 2.7s or lower for minor NJPs like failing field day repeatedly, and in my current unit my personal 4.6/4.6s are the highest in my entire section, with the "average" level LCPLs getting 4.3/4.3s. I had an NCO in my chain of command describe 4.7s to me as "only for Marines on the verge of meritorious promotion, or something similar".

3.9 pro/cons seem unfathomably generous for such an NJP, and it always blows my mind how casually some sections/units talk about their 4.7/4.7+ pro/cons as average. My head mate at the barracks is an Air Traffic Control Marine who is still in training and hasn't even hit the fleet yet officially and got 4.9/4.9 pro/cons last quarter.

I really wish some serious thought was put into the pro/con system, as it represents such a huge, disproportionate contribution to overall cutting score, and yet is applied so differently from place to place as to be almost completely random.

I've seen the worksheet to generate scores, but never actually heard of it being used. Perhaps not enough guidance is given to NCOs and SNCOs in many units on the intent with the system.

I would be very interested to hear the input of some NCOs and SNCOs on this topic.

termlance
08-31-10, 09:46 PM
The Matt who recomended my post njp pro/cons knew me prior to the offense, and described me as a Marines Marine. he also understood my reasons for leaving. There was two other Marines that received...

termlance
08-31-10, 09:50 PM
The Matt who recomended my post njp pro/cons knew me prior to the offense, and described me as a Marines Marine. he also understood my reasons for leaving. There was two other Marines that received...

Beltayn
08-31-10, 10:14 PM
Not trying in any way to imply you weren't an outstanding Marine.

I still think that, you got off extremely lightly with those post-NJP pro/cons though.
I actually empathize with you quite a bit. Our stories are not all that dissimilar.

pocatellodave
09-01-10, 09:59 AM
I will have to admit there are a lot of terms that you newer Marines are using that I'm not familiar with.It looks like a young Marine made a mistake,cleaned his act up,but he is having a problem trying to become an officer.
We didn't have a grading system when I was in,and rank was tight in the unit I was in.I made a mistake once,and I always felt that are skipper held that against me.I was the last of the old guys to get promoted to L/CPL,and only because I shot well at the range,and was transferring to the east coast.My best buddy had a few marks against him,but he made CPL.,and later flew choppers,and finally ended up in a A4 Sky Hawks during Viet Nam.He retired as a major,not to bad for a mustang I'd say.I hope it goes well for you,as I think we all can't be perfect.I did get a good conduct medal,so I guess my sin wasn't all that bad.I can take a good azz chewing from the skipper,and a few work details if I deserve it.Again good luck young man,you deserve it,as you really appear to be squared away.

AAV Crewchief
09-01-10, 01:18 PM
I just want to highlight how crazy those numbers seem to me, and how frustrating the pro/con system and its lack of correct and consistent application is.
I've seen marines get 2.7s or lower for minor NJPs like failing field day repeatedly, and in my current unit my personal 4.6/4.6s are the highest in my entire section, with the "average" level LCPLs getting 4.3/4.3s. I had an NCO in my chain of command describe 4.7s to me as "only for Marines on the verge of meritorious promotion, or something similar".

3.9 pro/cons seem unfathomably generous for such an NJP, and it always blows my mind how casually some sections/units talk about their 4.7/4.7+ pro/cons as average. My head mate at the barracks is an Air Traffic Control Marine who is still in training and hasn't even hit the fleet yet officially and got 4.9/4.9 pro/cons last quarter.

I really wish some serious thought was put into the pro/con system, as it represents such a huge, disproportionate contribution to overall cutting score, and yet is applied so differently from place to place as to be almost completely random.

Marine and now AF SNCO here. Let me tell you that the Marines have the most fair promotion system out there. Every swinging dick in the AF tends to get straight 5s on EPRs (Enlisted Performance Reports) unless you are a total eff up. Hell, leadership won't let you write less than 5s unless someone is a total ****bird. Your Marine promotion potential is being graded by people watching you on a daily basis. In the AF a lot of the promotion points are earned by superfelous **** like off duty volunteering, college credits, awards/ribbons/medals and then a test on your career field along with a bunch of bull**** AF stuff that not even AF people care about...but they study it because they want to promote. Be glad you have the system that you have.

firedog974
09-01-10, 02:55 PM
Just one instance I know of, but one of my very close friends was NJP'd as a lance, and later went through MCEP. I do not think an njp is an automatic DQ. You may want to look at the MCO on MCEP before you EAS.

Kegler300
09-01-10, 03:00 PM
Back in the late '90s, I had a clerk who worked for me that had been reduced twice to PFC from LCpl after receiving an NJP and later a SCM, for underage drinking both times. He quit drinking, picked up meritorious Cpl and then meritorious Sgt. Entered the MECEP program in 2002, and is now a Captain. He was a stellar Marine IMO, and worked endlessly to stay in the Marine Corps and prove himself. Off duty education, MCI courses, PME resident courses, etc., were valuable assets to his achievements. It comes down to how bad do you want it and what are you willing to give up to get it. You can do it, if you believe you can do it, and then just do it.

DIBLO7
09-01-10, 10:06 PM
I have a buddy who is currently a MECEP student and got an NJP earlier in his career.

FattyTheFerret
09-02-10, 11:20 AM

Get the degree anyways.

termlance
09-02-10, 03:29 PM
Thank you all for all the in put, and motivation!!

TMM54
09-02-10, 04:50 PM
You can do anything that you put your mind to - you have already proven that to yourself. Now set your goal on a degree and to become a Marine Corps Officer, and work toward that.

I will pray for you.

Semper Fi, Tom

DevilDog124
09-26-10, 04:16 PM
Chesty was NJP'd..

Find some current MECEPers and ask them. While the few you ask may not know, they can ask the Marines in their MECEP plt or their instructors and let you know as well.

doesitmatter
09-29-10, 09:00 AM
the best way to judge character is how how the Marine bounces after hitting bottom.