PDA

View Full Version : Help plz.

Zwoods2010
08-31-10, 03:13 PM
Hello Marines,
I joined the Marine DEP 3 months ago with an infantry MOS with hopes of achieving 0321 Recon. They gave me a ship date of 20110207. I am in good shape, I run everyday, had a real good IST, etc etc. Well My training has been average to prepare me. Just today I found out I'm going to be leaving 20100920, which is a considerable amount shorter time to prepare. I read my General orders a bunch and have been trying to memorize the Ranks and Emblems, BUT I'm worried theres something I wont be prepared for in such a short time. If theres anything you Marines can think of that would help me get in the right direction of being as ready as I can it would be great. I'm pumped and very confident in going, just would like some need to know info that I may have missed. Thanks Marines

Rough Hands
08-31-10, 03:38 PM
Hello Marines,
I joined the Marine DEP 3 months ago with an infantry MOS with hopes of achieving 0321 Recon. They gave me a ship date of 20110207. I am in good shape, I run everyday, had a real good IST, etc etc. Well My training has been average to prepare me. Just today I found out I'm going to be leaving 20100920, which is a considerable amount shorter time to prepare. I read my General orders a bunch and have been trying to memorize the Ranks and Emblems, BUT I'm worried theres something I wont be prepared for in such a short time. If theres anything you Marines can think of that would help me get in the right direction of being as ready as I can it would be great. I'm pumped and very confident in going, just would like some need to know info that I may have missed. Thanks Marines

This is the Poolee forum of the message board; you're not going to get any answers from Marines here. But to answer your question, your Drill Instructors will teach you everything you need to know, it doesn't hurt to brush up on your knowledge but they will teach you and you will learn their way.

As far as physical fitness is concerned just prepare as much as you can before you ship out, but don't go overboard. You have to worry about getting through boot camp and ITB before you'll really be able to even consider Recon - though, from my understanding, they'll give you an opportunity in ITB to go to the indoc, or something along those lines.

Anyhow, every average joe wants to go Recon and SpecOps, but first you've got to find out if you've got what it takes to be a Marine.

P.S. If you want answers from Marines, it'd be a good idea to post this question in the "Ask A Marine" section.

Diesel91kh
08-31-10, 03:55 PM
Im leavin 20100920 too. See ya there

wilsontc11
08-31-10, 06:16 PM
Thats definitely enough time to memorize general orders and rank structure. If you write them down while you're studying, aswell as saying them out loud you should have no problem.

ScarSniper
08-31-10, 06:44 PM
Hello Marines,

Alright, since we're all brothers and sisters and soon to be brothers and sisters i'll help you with this quickly. "Be. My. Little. General." "B.M.L.G." "B"rigadier General, "M"ajor General, "L"ieutenant General, "G"eneral. 1 star up to 4 stars. Easy enough? One of the recruiters taught myself and another poolee that method one time one our way to MEPS. The others are pretty easy as well but i'm sure you got the poolee kit so you can use it and just study them. The 6th and 11th General order are the toughest ones because they're longest...So study them hardest. I used to just memorize 2 a day. Mix 'em up.Test yourself...what's the 4th? What's the 9th? 7th has something to do with "duty", doesn't it? Find funny things about them. Like "Line of duty", which always made this one poolee laugh, but I learned to associate it with the 7th general order. Whatever works! You have enough time so learn them now, under your own schedule, or under the insane pressure of a crazy drill instructor who had an argument with his wife and decides to take it out on us. lol. Other then that? Just train a lot but as Gunnery Sergeant would always tell me, "Don't kill yourself, Pilgrim! You know you're already broken!" lol. Best Marine ever. Don't stress, no matter how much we prepared, we haven't prepared enough anyway so just Maximize and stay crazy moto. :flag:

Put your IST scores up so we can see where you're at, bro!

Tony Fleri
09-07-10, 01:29 PM
Hello Marines,

Well...If you plan on recon I hope you logged alot of hours in the pool

alphamarine23
09-07-10, 01:40 PM
Make sure you check out the sticky titled "The Ultimate Guide for Boot Camp" and it revision. That has a plethora of Marine Corps knowledge that you need to memorize. Keep going to your RSS a lot and pt'ing with your station as much as you can. Recon isn't a joke and like Tony Fleri said, I hope you and water are great buddies...Stay motivated and don'y let anyone tell you that you can't do anything, good luck!!