PDA

View Full Version : Army revises training to deal with unfit recruits.

Integrity57
08-31-10, 12:20 PM
It says in the first two paragraghs that they're utlizing yoga and pilates like workouts and getting rid of long runs to get over-weight recruits in better shape, does that make sense to anyone?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38926368/ns/health-fitness/?Gt1=43001

BR34
08-31-10, 12:25 PM
Man, don't knock Yoga. It may look gay, but it's pretty hard. It's harder for me than runs, since I'm not flexible at all.

NoRemorse
08-31-10, 01:02 PM
Seconded. Pilates is also hard.

I just don't know how good those are for weight loss.

Supersquishy
08-31-10, 01:03 PM
They should also rethink their New "Buffet" chow lines at Basic.

Integrity57
08-31-10, 05:22 PM
I'm not trying to knock yoga because there's no doubt it takes skill to have the balance it requires but I don't see how it's going to help recruits burn fat or build muscle.

fallfast90
09-01-10, 05:15 PM
You can't substitute running (as much as I want to think you can, lol). Now incorporating yoga/pilates with running is a better idea.

tbyfield5229
09-09-10, 08:26 AM
we have to accept the fact that while the army lowers their standards, the marine corps raises theirs

Garyius
09-09-10, 09:53 AM
They should also rethink their New "Buffet" chow lines at Basic.

Right, because the Corps teaching me to wolf down oil grease filled food without even tasting it did't lead to a lifetime of battling unhealthy binge eating...

Marine84
09-09-10, 06:51 PM
I'm not trying to knock yoga because there's no doubt it takes skill to have the balance it requires but I don't see how it's going to help recruits burn fat or build muscle.

PM your address to me - I got a couple of Pilates CD's that you can do in your own livingroom that will help you learn how it can reduce weight. If you do them correctly, not only will you sweat off a few pounds, you'll tone up at the same time. It makes sense to me, will cut down on broken/fractured/tender bones and muscles that you get from running.

Try it! You'll like it!

Marine84
09-09-10, 06:54 PM
Besides, it will make you guys a lot more smoother in the bedroom than the spastic puppies that most are.