PDA

View Full Version : Agent Orange Benefits Could Expand Tuesday

Wrench3516
08-30-10, 12:22 PM
:beer:
Agent Orange benefits could expand Tuesday

By Rick Maze - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Aug 30, 2010 9:38:55 EDT

Final rules allowing more than 250,000 Vietnam veterans who qualify for Agent Orange-related benefits could take effect as early as Tuesday.

With the change, three new medical conditions — hairy cell leukemia, Parkinson’s disease and ischemic heart disease — will be added to the list of disabilities presumed to have a connection to exposure to Agent Orange, the defoliant widely used during the Vietnam War.

Congress has set aside $13.4 billion to cover the first year of claims. The total cost of expanding the list of conditions presumed to be connected is estimated to be $42.2 billion over 10 years.

Veterans Affairs Department officials are gearing up for an anticipated tidal wave of new applications, expected to temporarily result in an even larger backlog of pending disability claims.

One of the new conditions — ischemic heart disease — is controversial because it widely affects older Americans, and has been linked to smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and aging. Sen. Jim Webb, D-Va., a Vietnam veteran, chairman of the Senate armed services subcommittee on personnel and a member of the Senate veterans’ affairs committee, has questioned whether it is possible to know if Vietnam veterans with this form of heart disease have an Agent Orange-related condition or have other risk factors.

Mike326
09-03-10, 10:34 AM
Re. One of the new conditions — ischemic heart disease — is controversial because it widely affects older Americans....

I filed my claim in January of this year. My problems started 20 years ago with a double bypass when I just turned 40. I had numerous prodcedures since then and the last 2, to insert stents were both unsuccessful. The surgeon remarked to me that he sees so many VN servicemen with histories that start in their 30's and 40's and it seems remarkable to him. Once more people start filing claims, and the VA begins looking at their medical histories it should become chillingly apparent that this phenomenon (AO linked IHD) is not a disease of old age.

HereandThere
09-04-10, 04:40 PM
Had my first positive test for type 2 in March 09
6-8 months later another positive test.
Then again April 2010 so I asked the doctor if I should file a claim and he said yes in case I need meds in the future.
Went to DAV to file claim in June, had my compensation exam and got my papers rating me 20% for Type 2 on Sept 2.
Don't know if it's because of Agent Orange, but no one in my family had it unless it was 3-4 generations ago and I'm 6'2" 180 so it's not my weight,but damn does it make your feet burn.

thefedgotme
09-08-10, 07:57 AM
the burning foot is probably neuropathy..which would be service connected also if you claim it..check your rating, if its on there you're good..if no, file for an increase

HereandThere
09-08-10, 08:32 AM
the burning foot is probably neuropathy..which would be service connected also if you claim it..check your rating, if its on there you're good..if no, file for an increase

I was told by the nurse during my comp.exam that the VA usually rated Vietnam Vets with type 2 at 10%.I thought they rated me at 20% because of the burning feet,but when I read the report I just shook my head.
They had my Vietnam service time wrong and said although my feet were burning,other test did not show neuropathy,but that the type 2 had caused visual imparment,which is news to me and the guy who examined my eyes.
I'm not going to open a can of worms with the VA, but I'm going to talk to my primary care doctor about this report next time I see him.

redman1
09-08-10, 08:47 AM
Danny thanks for the new info
The first of the year I got 20% due to type II diabetes and now I'm signing up for tinnitus which would be another 10% and at 30% you get 10% more for your wife which would be a total of 40%. Don't know how it will turn out.
I am 61 and never used any VA until this year. I also get all my meds there.
I am thankful that I don't need anything else. It was hard for me to ask for the first time. I felt like a bumb.
Semper Fi Redman

spotts
09-08-10, 09:59 AM
Dont feel like a bum, you earned you VA benefits.

lastcigar
09-14-10, 08:29 AM
I am receiving a 20% disability for diabetes and I guess high blood pressure. I got 10% first and then it got increase after we talked (Dr. and I at VA hospital.) I am going to retire soon at age 62 and will lose my private health care. What will the VA cover besides my treatment for diabetes and hyper tension. What if I get the flu? Would I call a clinic or hospital for treatment. Or something more serious, like I need to get my gall bladder removed? Or an accident, like a fall at home or a car wreck. Are these things covered? Would appreciate any info. Thanks and Semper Fi.

Troutzilla
09-14-10, 09:12 AM
I am receiving a 20% disability for diabetes and I guess high blood pressure. I got 10% first and then it got increase after we talked (Dr. and I at VA hospital.) I am going to retire soon at age 62 and will lose my private health care. What will the VA cover besides my treatment for diabetes and hyper tension. What if I get the flu? Would I call a clinic or hospital for treatment. Or something more serious, like I need to get my gall bladder removed? Or an accident, like a fall at home or a car wreck. Are these things covered? Would appreciate any info. Thanks and Semper Fi.

Are you enrolled in the VA Healthcare System ?

Here are the groups and what is availible to you.....http://www4.va.gov/healtheligibility/Library/pubs/CopayGlance/CopayGlance.pdf

Check out the Enrollment page and then fill-out an application....http://www4.va.gov/healtheligibility/eligibility/

hbharrison
09-14-10, 10:37 AM
It pays to go and get on the system I have 20% for my knees and still waiting for % on my coronary artery disease. Did find out that when you reach 50% you no longer pay co-pay on meds.

lastcigar
09-14-10, 10:59 AM
I am enrolled and I am receiving a disability payment of 20% but I'm confused on what is covered. I believe I'm in prioity group 3. Is it only the service connected stuff I get care for or for all illnesses and accidents. I would not pass the financial hardship test so I'm sure I would have to pay co-pays but I want to make sure I can go to the VA for just regular medical stuff?

NoRemorse
09-14-10, 11:12 AM
I think you only get care related to your actual disability.

I think you're going to fall into the cracks for 3 years or so unless you pay into a health plan yourself or get COBRA if you currently have health insurance. But all that trash is expensive.

lastcigar
09-14-10, 01:01 PM
That's what I need to know as my regular private ins. ends upon retirement except for COBRA which would only be 18 months on a retirement. Plus as you said, it is expensive. I don't think I can find a health care plan that will accept me, and if I did it would cost prohibitive. That 3 year gap could be a major problem I'm afraid.

kaelobo
09-14-10, 01:05 PM
Iam 100% had a car wreck,sat at va ER for three hours my ear was hanging by skin , had a gash about 8inc long on head,blood running down face,bla bla bla. i could not walk straight little dizzy, so my daughter got mad and try to tell the person at window.but there were 4 other vets screaming,at them va police were there. daughter took me to Denver general, if you make and appointment you get in in about 30 days. but the meds are free,and boy do they like to make you wait, been waiting 30days for my dental appointment, than they got everybody brother or sister working there with a bad attitudes, other than that you can sit down there all day and look at what they are doing to the vets,its a very sad sight, half the vet are so high on meds they dont know where there going, thats at the denver va, what i think........................usmc

NoRemorse
09-14-10, 01:18 PM
Some of the private guys like AARP may have something to cover the gap, but I don't know offhand how much like say their Oxford affiliated coverage would be.

We've had patients here with CHAMPVA and what not, don't remember the eligibility requirements anymore and I'm hard-pressed to google them because of a combination of abject laziness and the midday sleepies.

lastcigar
09-14-10, 01:56 PM
Iam 100% had a car wreck,sat at va ER for three hours my ear was hanging by skin , had a gash about 8inc long on head,blood running down face,bla bla bla. i could not walk straight little dizzy, so my daughter got mad and try to tell the person at window.but there were 4 other vets screaming,at them va police were there. daughter took me to Denver general, if you make and appointment you get in in about 30 days. but the meds are free,and boy do they like to make you wait, been waiting 30days for my dental appointment, than they got everybody brother or sister working there with a bad attitudes, other than that you can sit down there all day and look at what they are doing to the vets,its a very sad sight, half the vet are so high on meds they dont know where there going, thats at the denver va, what i think........................usmc

That does not sound good. We have a VA hospital in Danville Il that I went to for enrollment and have been to the last 2 years for annuals and they have been great. Everyone seems good with them. On the other hand there is a VA hospital in Marion IL which a few years ago was really bad. Mal-practice law suits and even a couple of deaths due to problems. They supposedly cleaned house down there and I haven't heard anything about it for a while.

NoRemorse-
Some of the private guys like AARP may have something to cover the gap, but I don't know offhand how much like say their Oxford affiliated coverage would be.

We've had patients here with CHAMPVA and what not, don't remember the eligibility requirements anymore and I'm hard-pressed to google them because of a combination of abject laziness and the midday sleepies.

I don't think I can get private insurance. I talked with my ins. broker and he said if he could find someone to write it I couldn't afford it. My group insurance COBRA or VA appear to be my choices, and COBRA only 18 months, and even its expensive. No good choices.

Maybe I'll close the door and take my nap now.

HereandThere
09-14-10, 05:51 PM
That's what I need to know as my regular private ins. ends upon retirement except for COBRA which would only be 18 months on a retirement. Plus as you said, it is expensive. I don't think I can find a health care plan that will accept me, and if I did it would cost prohibitive. That 3 year gap could be a major problem I'm afraid.
The VA co-pay is a lot cheaper than the 70-100 dollar private doctor office visit and works OK if it's not an emergency.While you should get priority treatment for service connected issues,you may sit around for hours in the clinics for other issues.
My father-in-law was a 100% service connected WW2 POW and after his first stroke which was treated by private doctors and hospitals,I took him to the VA for a scheduled appointment and I asked the doctor if he should use the VA or private doctors for follow up care.The VA doctor said use the private doctors because we can't give him that level of care.Luckily he had Medicare and a gap policy to cover the cost.
I've been told,but don't know for sure,that if your enrolled in the VA system and have a heart attack at home, are treated and stabilized by your local hospital then transfered to a VA hospital,that the VA will pay for your treatment at the local hospital.Maybe someone else can verify that last statement.

lastcigar
09-15-10, 08:19 AM
I called yesterday and was told the same thing. If its an emergency, heart attack, car accident,etc then get treatment, immediately (like w/i a day or so notify VA) when stabilized then move to VA hospital and they pay.
I would have to use VA for 18 months, from when COBRA runs out until I'm 65 and would get Medicare. I don't know I like it but may have no other choice.

IGNACIO CASTIL
09-20-10, 09:08 PM
Well,brothers afters 40 something years since Vietnam Angent Orange findly caught up with me.This july I had Surgery to remove part of my kidney due to cancer from agent orange.Take care of your selves,have regular check ups.Semper fi.

Ignacio---Vietnam 66-67

kaelobo
09-24-10, 01:42 PM
take care of your self, god bless,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,usmc

andyb
11-25-10, 02:54 PM
A while ago I had a angio procedure and the cardioligist said that I have "severe 1 coronary artery disease". The Doc at the VA hospital said to get over there and put in a claim which I did. So I guess that ischemic is the same thing? Also, I already have a 50% rating for PTSD, if I qualify for this would any rating be tacked on top of the 50%?

hbharrison
11-25-10, 04:44 PM
Have had three Doctors say I have coronary artery disease and the VA denide not once but twice my claim I now have to get a lawyer and let him do the claim the hard way. This new so called claim process is not working as they said it would.

Beck
11-26-10, 10:50 AM
Have had three Doctors say I have coronary artery disease and the VA denide not once but twice my claim I now have to get a lawyer and let him do the claim the hard way. This new so called claim process is not working as they said it would.

You need to submit copies of the doctors reports that say you have CAD. The VA wants proof. Just saying it doesn't get the job done with the VA. I would reopen the case and submit as much evidence that you have along with the form. You will likely have to go to a comp exam to confirm the condition. Take COPIES of the med records that confirm your CAD.

I have had two heart attacks, stents and a pacer and only got 10%. So, unless you are dead, I doubt you will get more than that. However, even 0% gets you connected, and any heart related problems in the future will be taken care of as s/c.

My first heart attack was in 1995, and that wasn't considered as I didn't submit that evidence. The way the award was written, I think I should have. I'll gather that from the Shands UF hospital where I was treated and resubmit that and see if it makes any difference.

The paperwork I read mentioned a rating of 10% to 60% depending on symptoms. I got the 10%.

I agree, I doubt this is working as it has been represented that it would.

We have to be persistent.

Either way, good luck.

hbharrison
11-26-10, 11:13 AM
You need to submit copies of the doctors reports that say you have CAD. The VA wants proof. Just saying it doesn't get the job done with the VA. I would reopen the case and submit as much evidence that you have along with the form. You will likely have to go to a comp exam to confirm the condition. Take COPIES of the med records that confirm your CAD.

I have had two heart attacks, stents and a pacer and only got 10%. So, unless you are dead, I doubt you will get more than that. However, even 0% gets you connected, and any heart related problems in the future will be taken care of as s/c.

My first heart attack was in 1995, and that wasn't considered as I didn't submit that evidence. The way the award was written, I think I should have. I'll gather that from the Shands UF hospital where I was treated and resubmit that and see if it makes any difference.

The paperwork I read mentioned a rating of 10% to 60% depending on symptoms. I got the 10%.

I agree, I doubt this is working as it has been represented that it would.

We have to be persistent.

Either way, good luck.

Can you say three bypases over four hundred sheets CT scans x-rays of reports by Doctors and yet they have yet to say C&P not once last time the paper work was filed with them by the VFW it was two weeks and sent back a denile. So it is time to get a lawyer involved and force then to read the reports.

Beck
11-27-10, 08:56 PM
Can you say three bypases over four hundred sheets CT scans x-rays of reports by Doctors and yet they have yet to say C&P not once last time the paper work was filed with them by the VFW it was two weeks and sent back a denile. So it is time to get a lawyer involved and force then to read the reports.

Yes, you have to get the VA to look at this evidence. I dunno about lawyers. I don't know of one lawyer that will do anything for a vet. Either way, good luck!

hbharrison
11-28-10, 03:15 AM
We have a lawyer here in Topeka that has spent most of his life going up against the VA and has been very good at it from what I have found out so far. So we shall see what he can do.

Charles Weidman
12-01-10, 01:50 PM
Well..........................lets see. Three time in country from 1965 to 1971. Big time heart attack in 1995 where my wife was told that I wasn't going to make it and I'm still here. Then high blood pressure, Type II diabetes and another heart attack a year ago. Tried to put in for Agent Orange and was denied four years ago. I get 30% on my hearing loss, still have a defective pumper and diabetes. Going to try again. Thank God for Medicare and Tri-Care For Life. Was 100% disabled until I reached age 65 where apparently I was mericilously cured (NOT). Va in North Carolina turned me down before, but it ain't over 'till its over.

Riven37
12-02-10, 05:55 PM
:beer:
Agent Orange benefits could expand Tuesday

By Rick Maze - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Aug 30, 2010 9:38:55 EDT

Final rules allowing more than 250,000 Vietnam veterans who qualify for Agent Orange-related benefits could take effect as early as Tuesday.

With the change, three new medical conditions — hairy cell leukemia, Parkinson’s disease and ischemic heart disease — will be added to the list of disabilities presumed to have a connection to exposure to Agent Orange, the defoliant widely used during the Vietnam War.

Congress has set aside $13.4 billion to cover the first year of claims. The total cost of expanding the list of conditions presumed to be connected is estimated to be $42.2 billion over 10 years.

Veterans Affairs Department officials are gearing up for an anticipated tidal wave of new applications, expected to temporarily result in an even larger backlog of pending disability claims.

One of the new conditions — ischemic heart disease — is controversial because it widely affects older Americans, and has been linked to smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and aging. Sen. Jim Webb, D-Va., a Vietnam veteran, chairman of the Senate armed services subcommittee on personnel and a member of the Senate veterans’ affairs committee, has questioned whether it is possible to know if Vietnam veterans with this form of heart disease have an Agent Orange-related condition or have other risk factors.

1. While in Nam when I could get a shower the water was stored in a 50 gallion drum with an Orange band on it this was our shower containers.

2. Every morning the Loch came by spraying our outer prermiter while other personnel sprayed the inner prerimter on foot.

3. The stress our hearts went through while under combat should have killed us call.

4. I am a 100 % already and you know what even if I win my claim for my heart there is no more money attached becuse you only can get 100 % Max. What they need to do is expan on our Comp income from $ 2532.00 at 100 % to $ 5,000 per month many vets like myself can't live on this income it doesn't keep up with the rising cost.